Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

R. Mute posted:

What do you guys have in lieu of anti-semitic undertones when the right talks about decadent elites?

Actually they kept the anti-semitic undertones

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/netanyahu-soros-behind-asylum-seekers-anti-deportation-campaign-1.5787643

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

That's wild.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Yair Lapid is going to provide testimony against Bibi (probably the first meaningful thing he's done as a politician) and the coalition majority whip (is that the translation I'm looking for?) stands up and calls him a snitch. That where we are right now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

quote:

In the meeting, Netanyahu said "George Soros is also funding the protests. Obama deported two million infiltrators and they didn't say anything."

:stare:

this has to be a mistranslation, right?

right?

even bibi wouldn't use that particular noun?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

right?

Infiltrators? Are you not following how swiftly Bib's government revived the termed (originally used for terrorists infiltrating Israel in the 1950's) once they realized they have a ready-made scapegoat on their hands?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm pretty sure Bibi's idiot son posted anti-Semitic memes on some social media thing not that long ago

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Xander77 posted:

Yair Lapid is going to provide testimony against Bibi (probably the first meaningful thing he's done as a politician) and the coalition majority whip (is that the translation I'm looking for?) stands up and calls him a snitch. That where we are right now.

Bibi is well-known to be "ultra" conservative by Israel's standards but he has been around for a long while in politics so that's something. He may be too conservative to rule, but I don't know if that's how things will turn out or not. I think the real subtext here is that Trump & conservative parts of the USA miss the Cold War and the Middle East is their new version of that. Putin & Russia are even supporting Mahmoud Abbas, a Muslim, as the opposition

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

right?

"Infiltrators" is the noun of choice for the Israeli right, including Bibi. You'd think that the Israeli far right would be a little more different from other countries' far right, given the shared experiences of the Jewish people, but as you can see, the power of cognitive dissonance is endless.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
For those who remember Valerie Plame and Peter Fitzgerald for instance, it's important not to engage in wishful thinking. I want Netanyahu out of office, but it has no bearing either way on the facts of the case, or the probability of an indictment. As much as Netanyahu is a figure worthy of loathing, and almost certainly guilty of corruption in the way that most Israeli politicians are, and as much as Netanyahu has denied rights to others, that he still deserves a fair accounting. And I sincerely hope that does land him in a jail cell.

I'm only comparing them on that level, as it is clear that there was absolutely nothing to Fitzgerald's investigation. Richard Armitage leaked Plame's name and Fitzgerald knew that early in the investigation, and then went on a fishing expedition. It would be an overwhelming surprise if Netanyahu wasn't sitting on a mountain of bribes and hadn't used his office for personal enrichment.

A3th3r posted:

Bibi is well-known to be "ultra" conservative by Israel's standards but he has been around for a long while in politics so that's something. He may be too conservative to rule, but I don't know if that's how things will turn out or not. I think the real subtext here is that Trump & conservative parts of the USA miss the Cold War and the Middle East is their new version of that. Putin & Russia are even supporting Mahmoud Abbas, a Muslim, as the opposition

He's extremely conservative in terms of Israeli history, but not in the current political climate where there are national religious and haredi parties in his coalition. He's been in power a long time, if anything he's proven an ability to cling to power.

I don't think Putin cares about anything than his naked self interest, he's been keen to play all sides. That's also an odd way to describe Abbas, and it's very odd to describe Trump as "missing the cold war."

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

R. Mute posted:

What do you guys have in lieu of anti-semitic undertones when the right talks about decadent elites?

R. Mute posted:

That's wild.

It's almost as if most comments from the right about decadent elites are not referring to Jews, even though that may have been when that particular language was used a fuckin' century ago. Of course if you are talking far right that's a different story (or the far left for that matter).

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

tsa posted:

It's almost as if most comments from the right about decadent elites are not referring to Jews, even though that may have been when that particular language was used a fuckin' century ago. Of course if you are talking far right that's a different story (or the far left for that matter).
Every time I see you post it's when you can clearly no longer hold back your incoherent rage at the thought of someone calling you a racist.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
these decadent, infiltrating, rootless cosmopolitans, corrupting our nation's blut und boden. you know. (((Them.)))

we're not racist tho

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

A3th3r posted:

My point was specifically that the ruling coalition can publicly go "bitches better don't be snitching", and that's somehow acceptable.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/talschneider/status/964487387568115712

Netanyahu in a meeting with UN General Secretary @antonioguterres "The Golan Heights will remain in Israeli hands forever". In addition he told the GS that Israel will not allow Iran to build itself up in Syria "they shouldn't build their basis in Syria - we will work against it". The issue of the bodies of IDF soldiers and Israeli citizens held by Hamas also came up.

Edit for more content:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 17, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AnshelPfeffer/s...90%7Ctwterm%5E1

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Whose ambassador is he, again?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If nothing else, we are finally being honest about who we truly support now

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, yet another Netanyahu scandal has come to light. Apparently, one of his close associates privately offered to make a judge the next Attorney General if she dropped the case against Sara Netanyahu.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, yet another Netanyahu scandal has come to light. Apparently, one of his close associates privately offered to make a judge the next Attorney General if she dropped the case against Sara Netanyahu.
I would love to see his racist-rear end son get arrested too

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/edokonrad/status/967465811966418944?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The Russian expression is "alas, we are so far removed from the people we live among". I genuinely had to triple check this basic ripoff of Ben Garrison cartoons and Pepe-memes wasn't a subversive parody of some sort.

https://www.facebook.com/mtznakash/

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

The Russian expression is "alas, we are so far removed from the people we live among". I genuinely had to triple check this basic ripoff of Ben Garrison cartoons and Pepe-memes wasn't a subversive parody of some sort.

https://www.facebook.com/mtznakash/

Those are the same shitheels who made the "soros controls the world" antisemitic cartoon shared by the crown prince Yair Hun .

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Nice profile of Netanyahu at the Financial Times. Finally tying back to the thread title from way back when:

quote:

The first time Benjamin Netanyahu was publicly burnt by his love for cigars came in May 2005. Walking into a cabinet meeting with a lit cigar, the then finance minister turned a corner in the Knesset and ran into a group of his colleagues talking to reporters, remembers Ben Caspit, author of a recent biography of the Israeli prime minister.

Faced with the possibility of being photographed smoking a pricey cigar — not a good look for any politician — Mr Netanyahu stuck the lit cigar into his suit pocket.

Within seconds, his jacket was smoking. “Minister Netanyahu, you’re burning up,” yelped a radio host, as a coalition partner helped Mr Netanyahu fish the burning cigar out of his pocket before his suit caught fire.

Edit:

This could be yooge: can't find it in English yet, but turns out the judge in charge of the 4000 comms-related corruption case and one of the people at the Israeli SEC-equivalent investigating them were caught exchanging messages showing bias on behalf of the former. She won't be sitting in for the next step of the trial tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/news10/status/967827314875731968

Edit2:

Some coverage in English

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 26, 2018

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Does this mean Netanyahu is off the hook?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Illuyankas posted:

Does this mean Netanyahu is off the hook?

No.

His supporters are claiming this proves that the investigations have been corrupted yada yada yada but in the meanwhile the new judge appointed to the investigation has already given the two main suspects a couple more days in arrest as they have already made attempts to temper with evidence.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/970422703244136448?s=19

People suck.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
YB is better characterized as a centrist party in the current context. That means 50 seats for the right, and 54 for the center and left. It's still much easier for Netanyahu to form a government with that breakdown, although it's getting increasingly hard to see the current coalition, or something with the same parties as stable. A 64 seat government with the same conflicts of today like the draft exemption bill is not going to last.

It's one poll though, and others have had different results.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

YB is better characterized as a centrist party in the current context.

Nope.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Avigdor Lieberman, notable centrist politician.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/amirtibon/status/970639220288245761?s=19

:munch:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pretty sure Bibi is hosed, but with how Israeli politics is these days, he will probably be replaced with someone worse

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Say hello to Prime Minister Yair Hun.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Cat Mattress posted:

Say hello to Prime Minister Yair Hun.

It's gonna be Lapid.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Retarded Goatee posted:

Avigdor Lieberman, notable centrist politician.

Not what I said, but he's a lot closer to that than the far right.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/190861/avigdor-lieberman-netanyahu

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/190861/avigdor-lieberman-netanyahu

Nope!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

Lieberman is certainly trying to cast himself as a centrist, but that's not the same thing as him actually being a centrist. When the best defense of him even a puff piece can muster starts off by saying that the reader should ignore his entire career to date because he was just faking his positions and taking stances he didn't actually agree with, all for political gain (surely he's totally honest and forthright now, though), it doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in his character.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Thanks for not arguing, hypocrite. You don't actually have an argument, given that he's repudiated a lot of what he previously said, which has had a long tradition in Israeli politics. He has spent the last few years feuding with Likud and threatening to bolt the coalition, and openly flirting with a Lapid government. While spending lots of time with Dahlan, Sisi, and gulf rulers.

Main Paineframe posted:

Lieberman is certainly trying to cast himself as a centrist, but that's not the same thing as him actually being a centrist. When the best defense of him even a puff piece can muster starts off by saying that the reader should ignore his entire career to date because he was just faking his positions and taking stances he didn't actually agree with, all for political gain (surely he's totally honest and forthright now, though), it doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in his character.

I didn't say he was a centrist. You can't really characterize Lieberman as he does not have particularly strongly held beliefs beyond corruption and secularism.

I said the party, given the current political context.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The centrist party led by the non-centrist. Right. Okay.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What's Lieberman's position on killing Palestinians, if it's anything short of "all of them, kill all of them" I can understand rating him as a centrist by KJI standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

VitalSigns posted:

What's Lieberman's position on killing Palestinians, if it's anything short of "all of them, kill all of them" I can understand rating him as a centrist by KJI standards

It's that unless they sign a pledge of allegiance and go kill other palestinians by joining the IDF or something? That might only apply to Israeli-arabs though. I can't recall exactly how demented he is.