Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I will take any nerf to waywatchers. gently caress those guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

No center of mass targeting thing tho?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Do you have dragons in your army? Remove them.
Also lower the graphics setting. You just need to get past the battle right?

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/212985/crashes-during-battles-in-total-warhammer-2

I'll try dropping the graphics since it's the enemy that has the dragons. Worst case I guess I can auto-resolve and lose the expeditionary force since they only have one advanced unit. drat elves always cheat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jerry seinfel posted:

I'll try dropping the graphics since it's the enemy that has the dragons. Worst case I guess I can auto-resolve and lose the expeditionary force since they only have one advanced unit. drat elves always cheat.

They just released a patch to fix crashes caused by audio problems. I would try seeing if that's what you were running into, as a number of people in that thread said that their games didn't crash while paused or in slow motion, where no unit audio plays.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

They just released a patch to fix crashes caused by audio problems. I would try seeing if that's what you were running into, as a number of people in that thread said that their games didn't crash while paused or in slow motion, where no unit audio plays.

I used to experience crashes like that until I turned down my graphics settings. Only time it re-emerged was during my massive Dwarf v. Undead battle first time around, when I was switching from normal speed to slo-mo. I imagine it may have been an issue emerging from loading/playing sounds under heavy load, and that high graphics settings would make it even more likely to gently caress up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

http://store.steampowered.com/app/781190/Total_War_WARHAMMER_II__Steps_of_Isha/

Map pack.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

really wish there was a small campaign with just the playable factions so that turn times werent so insanely long, the faction variety in WH2 owns but lol at ever playing mortal empires due to the turn times and huge distances you have to travel to actually make it different from WH1 and vortex

I reinstalled WH1 because its the best way to play any of those factions but that struck me as sad so I just went back to Rome 2 mods.
Divide Et Impera just released a pretty big patch that improves FPS in battles a poo poo load although kinda borks the combat balance. It still takes like 20 turns to get going though, but TWWH2 is pretty similar in that regard barring the first skirmish with your designated AI enemy. I have trouble recommending it because of that but man for some reason I love that mod.
I guess the good part of ME was it makes DeI's turn times seem short in comparison which was the only thing stopping me binging it.

The other thing I'd say re: Creative Assembley vs Modders (and I have similar misgivings about Brittania, maybe unfounded) is I find it pretty drat lazy how they just don't bother with unit variation by and large anymore. I think that looks bad given A) Its the first thing people ask modders to add and B) unit variation is part of personalising an army in tabletop warhammer.
its just about justifiable in warhammer cause it makes them look like toys, which is appropriate, but original Rome for example looks dumb as hell because of it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Maybe allow personal emblems for brettonian knights or something

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Have you played ME recently? The turn times for me are waaay better than DeI. I’m prolly never playing TWW1 again.

Also make an army painter useable in MP, maybe SP too

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah TBH the turn times were never the problem for me, it was loading screens (which I dealt with by alt-tabbing to do something else) and diplomacy offers (there's a mod for that).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Have you played ME recently? The turn times for me are waaay better than DeI. I’m prolly never playing TWW1 again.

Also make an army painter useable in MP, maybe SP too

I'll give it another go when I get back home, if they are decently improved thats very good news!

Yeah an army painter is such a no brainer my friend who doesn't play WH or TW was really confused that they didn't have it. Even just pick a colour would be nice.

Obviously the dream is they give a gently caress about multi like they tried to in Shogun and give you a custom general (even just naming him and swapping a head or something) and army painter and some sort of levelling system that lets you unlock cosmetic poo poo for your general.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

loading times are fine for me on SSD, but dem turn times tho, i think i timed it and they were about 10 seconds longer than DeI and that was enough for me to forgo elves for sabaeans

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Long load times? What kind of chip are you running, a DORITO?????

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Listen, this i3 and 1TB HDD were expensive enough over here when I bought them years ago, ok??

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 14, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

btw liber bubonicus still does more damage than spirit leech for longer duration so its stillgood

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the only significant changes in the patch really seem to be

Liber Bubonicus nerf (which was probably needed, but its still good)
Centigors losing all their splash damage??? (not sure how huge this is, but it seems pretty significant considering how heavily Beastmen rely on them)
Waywatcher nerfs (desperately needed for some matchups, esp. Tomb Kings)

Also Lance formation is actually good now?

And murderous prowess losing a good chunk of its vigor bonus means Dark Elves are slightly less ridiculous.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Also Lance formation is actually good now?

Its always been good, but now with all negatives gone its bound to become absolutely nuts, especially since every high tier Bretonnian cav can use it now!

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

You guys were not kidding about VH dwarf ME. There are orcs everywhere. I had to legit form a turtle with my beaten up dwarf warriors while masses of orcs washed over them. It feels amazing when you somehow come out on top.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Refried Noodle posted:

You guys were not kidding about VH dwarf ME. There are orcs everywhere. I had to legit form a turtle with my beaten up dwarf warriors while masses of orcs washed over them. It feels amazing when you somehow come out on top.

And then inevitably you get a grudge to assassinate a level 20 goblin warboss who is on the other side of the planet by turn 5.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So there’s basically no reason to ever turn off lance formation right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So there’s basically no reason to ever turn off lance formation right?

Might be useful to turn it off for disengaging or whatever since it's kinda unwieldy and waiting for each knight to take his place in formation might take precious time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

turn off the TV posted:

And then inevitably you get a grudge to assassinate a level 20 goblin warboss who is on the other side of the planet by turn 5.

I find the orc agent spam way less aggravating than in the first game, but idk if they changed anything or id it’s just my luck.

But yeah vh dorfs need some refectories most likely. Also T5 Karaz-a-Karak iirc has a landmark that universally gives PO

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

toasterwarrior posted:

Might be useful to turn it off for disengaging or whatever since it's kinda unwieldy and waiting for each knight to take his place in formation might take precious time.

I think it may actually good for disengaging from infantry but does less damage on the charge despite the bonuses.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Mukip posted:

I think it may actually good for disengaging from infantry but does less damage on the charge despite the bonuses.

Why does it do less damage?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I dont know posted:

Why does it do less damage?

I did some custom battle testing about with block formation vs. lance formation before on the assumption that the block presents a more solid front and therefore might actually let more knights do more damage, but the results always showed better damage from lance. Mind you, it also had the knights taking more damage in lance, so the disengaging thing might be true.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I'm kinda annoyed they nerfed Rune of Wrath and Ruin. Yeah the range is increased, but having it be limited kills one of the big benefits of having it in the first place. Dwarves don't get magic, and this ability is your closest analogue they get. Meanwhile newer lords and heroes can get access to both magic and activated skills.

If they were really going to go this route, then they should have updated Runesmith/lord skills. Have each point of Strike the Runes give +1 charge in addition to cool down reduction. Have Runesmith Apprentice give another +1 charge and boost the duration a bit.

Then take those crappy little runes that hog a follower slot just to give +6 melee attack and turn them into aura effects. Finally, add a high level passive that boosts the range of ALL the smith's aura effects and active abilities.

Bring them in line with other dedicated support heroes like Gorebull or Skin wolf hero

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Realizing just how bleh Runesmiths are made me drop them from my army comps, particularly when I found out that they can only activate Rune of Negation in an aura around them instead of from a distance. Runelords, I might've used from time to time since they get better rune abilities, but in the end I'd be fine with just using Lords since they're plenty beefy enough as it is.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Will today’s patch affect existing saves? I’m hoping I won’t need a new game to enjoy the fixed TK garrisons and whatnot.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
What's the current hot and cool factions to play in ME right now? I tried clan rictus for a bit before remembering norsca wasn't in yet, so I ended that. Handgunners being bugged rules out empire, too and I assume dwarves

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

What's bugged about Handgunners?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kraka Drak, with Cataph's mod. Learn to love the smell of burning norscans in the morning :getin:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

S.J. posted:

What's bugged about Handgunners?
I think its that in WH2, they changed artillery to try to target the center of the formation instead of...somewhere else. This change also applied to ranged units, so direct-fire units like handgunners have a hell of a time actually firing since they'll no longer open fire on units unless they have LoS to the center of the formation. I think. Either way, they're far less responsive than they used to be.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ravenfood posted:

I think its that in WH2, they changed artillery to try to target the center of the formation instead of...somewhere else. This change also applied to ranged units, so direct-fire units like handgunners have a hell of a time actually firing since they'll no longer open fire on units unless they have LoS to the center of the formation. I think. Either way, they're far less responsive than they used to be.

So they refuse to fire because line of sight is blocked, blocked by the people you ordered them to fire at. :lol:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gamerofthegame posted:

What's the current hot and cool factions to play in ME right now? I tried clan rictus for a bit before remembering norsca wasn't in yet, so I ended that. Handgunners being bugged rules out empire, too and I assume dwarves

If you're in a Vanilla TWW mood then Empire, Dwarfs, and Greenskins are all excellent right now, I think. The revamped Bretonnia is cool too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I dont know posted:

So they refuse to fire because line of sight is blocked, blocked by the people you ordered them to fire at. :lol:
Kinda. I think if they're only blocked by enemies, they'll fire, but it still means that your handgunner block as to almost fully flank the enemy to fire, as opposed to being able to fire at oblique angles into some of them. The old checkerboard formation basically doesn't work at all anymore, you need to form up some weird-rear end chevron thing now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They're not literally trying to hit the middle guy. They aim for the unit's centre of mass, ie the front-middle guy of whatever side of the block is in front of them. It's annoying but it's hardly game-destroying. Empire and Dwarfs are both very fun atm and gunners still do good work.

Plus hell you can happily play either without any handgunners if you're that concerned.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They're not literally trying to hit the middle guy. They aim for the unit's centre of mass, ie the front-middle guy of whatever side of the block is in front of them. It's annoying but it's hardly game-destroying. Empire and Dwarfs are both very fun atm and gunners still do good work.

Plus hell you can happily play either without any handgunners if you're that concerned.

It is still dumb that some parts of the game were downgraded.

The "unit forgets all orders and just stands there wanking it" bug is equally infuriating.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wouldn't mind as much if I didn't find my handgunners waddling into melee when I order them to fire from an oblique angle to an engagement. Sure, I could remember to turn on guard mode, but I shouldn't have to do that to keep them from waddling forward into the side an enemy unit that's engaged with one of my own because they can't see the direct center of it unobstructed.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I wouldn't mind as much if I didn't find my handgunners waddling into melee when I order them to fire from an oblique angle to an engagement. Sure, I could remember to turn on guard mode, but I shouldn't have to do that to keep them from waddling forward into the side an enemy unit that's engaged with one of my own because they can't see the direct center of it unobstructed.

They'll do it with guard mode enabled too.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you think I'm going to play an Empire game without handgunners you are sadly mistaken. As far as I'm concerned their entire appeal is taking some guys with guns and halberds against demonic horrors and like hell am I not bringing the guns. Its not gamebreaking, but its certainly irritating as hell. It would be less irritating if I could save formations pre-battle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Anyway there's always Outriders which have height, mobility, and smaller unit size working in their favor. Gelts starting unit of them gets a lot of use through to the midgame.