Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm talking about companies individually - like Sony phones, Nokia phones, etc.

For example in all of 2017 Google sold about 4 million Pixels. That sounds great and all but Apple sells a million iPhones per day.

That's because no-one has a loving Pixel, Sony, or Nokia. Samsung sold a lot more units than Apple in 2017.

e: Oh you said "with the exception of Samsung" which is really great because basically no-one has a non-Samsung non-Itunes phone anyway. It's like saying "the Democrats are the largest party in the US apart from the Republicans."

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple music subscribers are about to surpass Spotify soon.

That's in the US. Globally, Apple has half of Spotify's subscribers.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm talking about companies individually - like Sony phones, Nokia phones, etc.

For example in all of 2017 Google sold about 4 million Pixels. That sounds great and all but Apple sells a million iPhones per day.

Google is bad at marketing phones shocker, film at 11. (Plus, you have to either buy direct from Google or through Verizon. Guess what plebes aren't going to do. That's right: they're not going to buy phones unsubsidized and they're certainly not going to switch to Verizon just for Googlephones.)

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

gschmidl posted:

Schadenfreudexpectation:

Huh, promo photo for that new Fantastic Four: Origins movie looking interesting.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ExecuDork posted:

It's a microphone, first and foremost. The way these big companies have convinced everyone to call this all-listening, all-the-time microphone connected to an AI a "smart speaker" is the schad on everyone.

The ideology is "your privacy is worth a lot of money to us, but nothing to you".

Privacy is overrated when everybody is a whole hell of a lot less interesting than they think they are.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

how the gently caress?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Temperature shock?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Even Sauron needs a good homecooked meal every now and then.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Gonna guess that lid had been dropped at some point and "looked" OK. Put it through a few more heating/cooling cycles and there you go.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's fine if you just really finely chew everything.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know, looks like it'd be a pane in the rear end

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Privacy is overrated when everybody is a whole hell of a lot less interesting than they think they are.

Imagine a future where Facebook owns everything and you are trapped in your own little curated bubble of information designed to separate you from your money as often as possible by probing every nook of your psyche until you relent.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Measly Twerp posted:

Imagine a future where Facebook owns everything and you are trapped in your own little curated bubble of information designed to separate you from your money as often as possible by probing every nook of your psyche until you relent.

New season of Black Mirror looking chilling AF as always...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's because no-one has a loving Pixel, Sony, or Nokia. Samsung sold a lot more units than Apple in 2017.

e: Oh you said "with the exception of Samsung" which is really great because basically no-one has a non-Samsung non-Itunes phone anyway. It's like saying "the Democrats are the largest party in the US apart from the Republicans."

I also said "most other companies" in the original post. My point was that the other poster was wrong when he implied Apple was some fringe group so the Home Pod will fail.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

is the schadenfreude how boring this discussion is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apTB-ictkyw

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gschmidl posted:

That's in the US. Globally, Apple has half of Spotify's subscribers.

Who cares about non-US sales, really.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guess the real schaden right now is the US since we just had another mass shooting and the only thing half the country wants to do about it is send thoughts and prayers.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Measly Twerp posted:

My good sir, I am here looking for Science Fiction, not Science Fact.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess the real schaden right now is the US since we just had another mass shooting and the only thing half the country wants to do about it is send thoughts and prayers.

That's prayers and condolences to you sir.

-President Donald J. Trump, esq

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

That's prayers and condolences to you sir.

-President Donald J. Trump, esq

Warmest condolences, get it right.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

actually it's "thanks for the congrats"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sagebrush posted:

That's pretty loving nuts because properly cured silicone is one of the most inert compounds we know how to make. It doesn't stick to anything, doesn't react with anything, doesn't absorb water, doesn't melt. Medical appliances are made of it. You can eat it with no effects other than weird poops.

I wonder how they hosed that one up.
This reminds me of the weird little eraser I had in my desk that could eat just about any plastic you put it in contact with.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/963616249526677504

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dear god. What a horrible woman.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
That reminds me that I learned a new racist term the other day at work: Guatie (for Guatemalan) . :smith: Middle age white women are the worst.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Elizabethan Error posted:

is the schadenfreude how boring this discussion is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apTB-ictkyw

what's the sport at 2:09? looks like cyclocross on ice skates.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
That Quinn woman is the worst and so is that stupid loving clapback emote.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

kemikalkadet posted:

it looks like Crashed Ice from a casual google

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Samizdata posted:

It's so strong it is actually hygroscopic. So, if you leave it for a while not completely tightly capped, it will absorb water out of the air.

I've done a shot of everclear just for the experience, and held it in my mouth a little to get the sensation. To me, in addition to the burning, the most distinct part of it was how dry and dead it made my mouth feel. It was like I'd taken a shot of flour or something. Not sure if that was from it literally killing the surface cells in my mouth or what though.

I now have some 100% Ethanol (not denatured) I use for cleaning things and I have not dared touch it. I imagine it would be about the same.

Sagebrush posted:

That's pretty loving nuts because properly cured silicone is one of the most inert compounds we know how to make. It doesn't stick to anything, doesn't react with anything, doesn't absorb water, doesn't melt. Medical appliances are made of it. You can eat it with no effects other than weird poops.

I wonder how they hosed that one up.

I assume there are different formulations for different things, but I am really curious as to what is causing this damage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kemikalkadet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgqXPTdUJqc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Actually this video is much more relevant to the thread, because this sport is terrifying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvOCceuWlM

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually this video is much more relevant to the thread, because this sport is terrifying:

really curious what the thought process behind this was.
probably something like "moguls are fun, what can be done to make them terrifying? I know, let's make them icier than european double black diamonds"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Elizabethan Error posted:

really curious what the thought process behind this was.
probably something like "moguls are fun, what can be done to make them terrifying? I know, let's make them icier than european double black diamonds"

Alcohol was undoubtedly involved.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

chitoryu12 posted:

Jesus christ that's some tail bone damage.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrAptronym posted:

Not sure if that was from it literally killing the surface cells in my mouth or what though.

It’s a local anesthetic. It’s literally shutting your nerves off for a while. It can even be used as an injectable anaesthetic, like lidocaine, but it’s not as effective or long-lasting.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

waggles posted:

That reminds me that I learned a new racist term the other day at work: Guatie (for Guatemalan) . :smith: Middle age white women are the worst.

Wonderful. My ten year old stepdaughter is Guatemalan. Few weeks ago, some kid from a grade up asked her why she doesn't just go back to Mexico.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Lets combine speed skating and downhill skiing, nothing bad could happen.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Phanatic posted:

It’s a local anesthetic. It’s literally shutting your nerves off for a while. It can even be used as an injectable anaesthetic, like lidocaine, but it’s not as effective or long-lasting.

Ahh, that makes sense. The feeling was pretty similar to that. Learn something new every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it sucks. We have a large population of Guatemalans in southern Delaware and it hurts hearing my co-workers talk about them (almost within their earshot). I'm going to e-mail the district leader about other work issues but I will bring this up. I've tried talking to them about their language but they don't care because all they see is the kids running around, messing with signs and clothing fixtures. The kids can speak English so I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything from corporate about the racism. And the funny thing is, when a customer wants something, they will pay for it. They don't haggle over price, look for coupons, or get huffy like white women do.