Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Dick Burglar posted:

I appreciate the information, but I'm not sure what any of those abbreviations mean. If you could clarify that, I'll certainly look into it. Also I'm basically on the other end of the country from NYC--I'm in Austin, Texas.

We have CA- Civil affairs units all over the states and europe. Civil affairs is primarily concerned with helping local civil governments and people through problems like water shortages, or setting up schools. Think of us as small scale diplomacy. We deploy very often(constantly) compared to the regular reserves and regular Army and this is a specialty that is 95% in reserve strength. To become a CA officer they want you to do some
time in a regular unit and then transfer over to the Ca pathway at CPT. We also have I think 9 specialty officer MOS-es in the 38G MOS that is army reserve officer specifically and only and similar to a warrant officer position in that it used you experience. Also: deploy without ACUs! If you are a 38A qualified Officer you will be asked to do Army stuff constantly like go overseas to places like 🇮🇹 or other coalition countries.

In Psyops you have the same officer career progression come to PO as a 1LT and they deploy less but it’s a very special field as well. Think advertising and mind games for the Army.

Both are under special operations so play by different rules and get nice stuff that you wouldn’t expect but they are definitely in the SF vein or small teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I don't know if anyone here can answer this one outside of "read your contract" but I'll give it a try.

I have a buddy who is about to start his second six year contract in a few days and elected for the SLRP so he doesn't get the 12k reenlistment bonus. He is also about to drop an OCS packet, which would require a new contract and the old one to effectively be terminated. There is no SLRP options for officers right now.

I'm under the impression that he will no longer be eligible for SLRP when he signs the new contract. We were at a recruitment event and two presenters said one way and two the other. Anyone know which is correct?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There's almost certainly a commitment for SLRP; if his contract is terminated prior to his completion of the commitment, it's gone. This is how they treat GI Bill transferability.

Edit: V True, I was only looking at the "outgoing" contract. The new officer contract's contents are based primarily on current wind speed and direction.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 14, 2018

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Godholio posted:

There's almost certainly a commitment for SLRP; if his contract is terminated prior to his completion of the commitment, it's gone. This is how they treat GI Bill transferability.

Unless the SLRP is part of the commissioning and contingent upon becoming an Officer in a certain MOS, like mine would have been had I not taken the bonus.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the us military: SLRRRRRRRRRRP

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

boop the snoot posted:

the us military: SLRRRRRRRRRRP

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
For any people thinking that Officer selection is easier/faster in the Guard? LOL

The officer conversion process in the Guard has been the most bullshit process ever and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

It makes no goddamn sense that as a E to O applicant, my packet hasn't moved in six months. And once it does make it to NGB its gonna sit for possibly 6 more months (because NGB is understaffed, you see).

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Knives Amilli posted:

For any people thinking that Officer selection is easier/faster in the Guard? LOL

The officer conversion process in the Guard has been the most bullshit process ever and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

It makes no goddamn sense that as a E to O applicant, my packet hasn't moved in six months. And once it does make it to NGB its gonna sit for possibly 6 more months (because NGB is understaffed, you see).

It took me about 14 months from application to arriving at OTS in the Air Guard, and I think my packet was sitting up at NGB for half that time.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

pkells posted:

It took me about 14 months from application to arriving at OTS in the Air Guard, and I think my packet was sitting up at NGB for half that time.

do you think you too were unlucky or was that standard for applicants in your wing?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Knives Amilli posted:

do you think you too were unlucky or was that standard for applicants in your wing?

Moreso unlucky I think. My former commander’s official promotion to LtCol was held up at the NGB during the same time frame.

Of course, OTS is backed up now, so the process might be faster, but the wait til your class date will be longer.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
the college I am at makes me extremely depressed because I want to be an engineer and they have no program for it (liberal arts, ex-womens college).
I can't transfer out because my GPA is poo poo, but I've made As in all the computer science classes they have to offer (up to 300 level) and A-Cs in all the math classes (C in Calculus, As in Algebra, Trig).
The bullshit elective classes like "dance appreciation" (art appreciation was full) and "cultural anthropology" are the classes bringing my GPA down and preventing me from going to a good college.

I ordered an ASVAP prep guide and have been talking to an Air Force recruiter.

Please, convince me not to join

HELLBITCH fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 22, 2018

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
Also my father is a 140% disabled veteran and my college is free and I have a stipend and have 75 free Hazlewood hours left.
I have 48 credit hours and worked as a Janitor at my school and enjoyed the mindless gruntwork it offered.
I plan on doing 4 years, going to a good college, then re-enlisting. My dad has a CIB and will call me a pussy if I try to be an officer right off the bat
I used to be a 220 lb sack of antidepressant cocktails but got off all medications and turned my life around and can do 15 pullups and 40+ pushups and run two miles before I get side stitches but can keep going, and am really just putting blind faith into basic fixing that poo poo

Again, please tell me why I'm a terrible idiot and should not join.

HELLBITCH fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 22, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

For one your GPA probably isn't keeping you out of a college that offers an engineering discipline. If you rocked As in a bunch of CS and have done decently in your Math you have your narrative written for you. Your current college doesn't offer what you want and you have demonstrated aptitude in a program you can get at some other college. (Also suck up the Anthropology. If you take it seriously it will help you not be the engineering stereotype everyone hates.)

If your college problem is the only reason to go Air Force it might be a let down. If you think you'll enjoy service there are worse ways to spend 4 years.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

HELLBITCH posted:

My dad has a CIB and will call me a pussy if I try to be an officer right off the bat

If that’s true then your dad is a loving idiot

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

Mustang posted:

If that’s true then your dad is a loving idiot

He said to tell you to go shine your Combat Action Badge and make sure the AC is working

Goodpancakes posted:

If your college problem is the only reason to go Air Force it might be a let down. If you think you'll enjoy service there are worse ways to spend 4 years.

A hilariously lonely and bad social life and a SUPER SECRET SHAMEFUL REASON are other reasons, plus I'm from a military family and won't get to talk at Thanksgiving until I prove myself in some way.
I've also tried to transfer out already and failed, and I am dumb and impulsive.

My recruiter has already gassed me up with a bunch of "if" statements and handed me some paperwork, and listening to goons seems dumb anyways. I'm going to crawl down this well and just let you guys pee on me by going through with it.

Thanks!

HELLBITCH fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 22, 2018

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

HELLBITCH posted:

He said to tell you to go shine your Combat Action Badge and make sure the AC is working

He might think that's edgy and cool and all but he just outed himself as retarded.

Don't be like that.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The military won't solve your relationship issues.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

not caring here posted:

he just outed himself as retarded.

I already told you he was in the infantry

HELLBITCH fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 22, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The military won't solve your relationship issues.

It actually facilitates getting rid of all of your relationship issues.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You sound depressed. Im not sure this is a good option.
But if you really want to stick it to your dad (I’m getting vibes of this) go Marine infantry.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

You sound depressed. Im not sure this is a good option.
But if you really want to stick it to your dad (I’m getting vibes of this) go Air Force Security Forces, that's basically infantry

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

You obviously have a lot in common with your dad, enlist 11X for 6 years

Over thanksgiving you can regale your family with stories of picking up pine cones or scouring the desert at NTC for wag bags full of MRE shits. Maybe if you’re lucky the guy that lived in your barracks room before you left you his dried up cum rags and a box of ramen.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ramen never goes bad at least.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mustang posted:

You obviously have a lot in common with your dad, enlist 11X for 6 years

Over thanksgiving you can regale your family with stories of picking up pine cones or scouring the desert at NTC for wag bags full of MRE shits. Maybe if you’re lucky the guy that lived in your barracks room before you left you his dried up cum rags and a box of ramen.

Yeah I’d usually offer advice and whatever, but Mustang’s advice is spot on here.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
I don't know if I should listen to the E8 and E6 in my family encouraging me and saying this adversity and struggling will redeem me in their eyes or internet strangers just telling me that this will be full of adversity and struggle and not to do this because of that

:thunk:

e: PM me if you want to further point out how I am an idiot, I am reading and holding on to what you guys say but don't want to continue to clog up this thread just dismissing poo poo

HELLBITCH fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 22, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Just commission dude, and pull rank on your dad or something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Your family probably already wrote you off. It’s pretty common dude. We, on the other hand, don’t know you enough to have a strong opinion and trying to give the best advice with the data give .

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Look if you can commission take it. Don't enlist. Commission is still full of dumb poo poo hardships to cover your lust for adversity to over come through struggle. The military is full of people like your family, obsessed with dick wagging stories and misery measurement. It's all bullshit. There is always some guy who climbed a higher mountain. The only way out is to ignore this desire to climb because there is always another mountain.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Family told you to enlist and not commission.

They hate your guts.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
If you can tell me a way to commission without spending another two years at college and getting my degree, by all means

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

HELLBITCH posted:

If you can tell me a way to commission without spending another two years at college and getting my degree, by all means

Turn the clock back to 1944, enlist, kick rear end and get a battlefield commission.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What we're saying is go with options 3, and don't touch the military.

But okay sunshine, you seem pretty set on this, so I'll spell it out for you.

If you have no moto boner to kill brown people or act out call of duty, the go air force services and hand out towels at the gym for 3 years. Your family will undoubtedly make fun of you forever but you should get out of it in one piece and have the exact same benefits anyone else does when anyone gets out.

If you've got a moto boner then no poo poo go army 18X. Combat arms is garbage so you might as well go whole hog. When you almost certainly medical out or quit, you'll go back to an infantry unit where some people will want to suck your dick for even attempting SF, while you await your ETS or medical chapter.

But in reality in basic training your depression will likely flare up really bad (don't take this personally, in basic training any kind of latent mental issues that people have flare up waaaay worse than before, there are poo poo loads of drops and chapters for this alone) and you'll quit, be in an absolutely sorry state that you probably will take ages to recover from. Assuming you do.

But then again when you disclose previous treatment for depression at MEPS they might just black list you immediately and really that will be the biggest favor the military could possibly do for you.

Alternatively you could finish your semester and try in earnest to transfer and finish your degree. It is literally the path of least resistance, least risk, and best possible outcome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HELLBITCH posted:

I don't know if I should listen to the E8 and E6 in my family encouraging me and saying this adversity and struggling will redeem me in their eyes or internet strangers just telling me that this will be full of adversity and struggle and not to do this because of that

:thunk:

e: PM me if you want to further point out how I am an idiot, I am reading and holding on to what you guys say but don't want to continue to clog up this thread just dismissing poo poo

Next time they say something like that, tell them this: "gently caress your redemption, I don't need it."

Because you don't. gently caress them in their stupid asses.

Edit: Live YOUR life. Not theirs. They're much farther on the downward slope of their lifetime, and based on what you've told us so far almost everyone who knows them at work thinks they're poo poo human beings. I'm inclined to agree. Don't follow in the footsteps of people like that.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
So what you guys are saying is go Army instead?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

HELLBITCH posted:

Go nuke in the navy

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Coast Guard

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

HELLBITCH posted:

French Foreign Legion

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What are you looking at gaining by enlisting? The respect of your friends and family is a loving awful reason.

If you don't get a giant loving boner at the thought carrying a bunch of heavy poo poo for miles and assaulting an objective, carrying 100 lbs of poo poo up a mountain to set up an observation post and freeze your balls off while looking at stuff that may or may not be there, or spending day after day cramped inside a tank festering in BO and farts as a tank crewmen than you have no business enlisting combat arms. If you're lucky you'll spend 25% of your time actually doing your job. The other 75% will be whatever manual labor the Army forces you to do. I was 100% serious when I said you can expect to scour a desert collecting literal bags of human feces left behind by your fellow soldiers.

You can reasonably expect to be treated like a child for the entirety of your first enlistment. If you make it to SGT by the end of it you might be moderately treated like an adult from time to time.

The combat arms MOSes have the lowest entry requirements in the US military. You will be volunteering to live and work with people that are quite literally too stupid to do anything else.

But hey, maybe your pops won't call you a pussy over Thanksgiving or your aunts will tag you in "support are troops!!!" pictures on Facebook

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Combat arms is an awful, lovely, horribly toxic environment. It will bring out the very worst in you. If you're okay with that then whatever, you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
It's amazing how far "don't be a fuckin' pussy" will push people in terrible directions.