Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I honestly don't have much of an opinion.

Darn. I was giddy at the thought of our resident WWhead reading a comic fixated on her lactating :(

quote:

Kyle got a spiffy-ish-looking new costume in GLC.

Can we get a look?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have zero idea what this Young Animals stuff is supposed to be doing or if it's supposed to be in-continuity or if it's commentary or satire or edgelordy or genuine or whatever...so, yeah, it just reads like off-kilter gibberish to me (and I'm sure someone might say the same if they jumped headlong into something like Wild Hunt with no knowledge of the event). If it's supposed to read like off-kilter gibberish then...mission accomplished, I guess? v:v:v

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can we get a look?
Looks like this. Nothing wrong with the 90s costume he was wearing, but it was still just...literally his 90s costume and I like this bit of update to it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

I have zero idea what this Young Animals stuff is supposed to be doing or if it's supposed to be in-continuity or if it's commentary or satire or edgelordy or genuine or whatever...so, yeah, it just reads like off-kilter gibberish to me (and I'm sure someone might say the same if they jumped headlong into something like Wild Hunt with no knowledge of the event). If it's supposed to read like off-kilter gibberish then...mission accomplished, I guess? v:v:v
Looks like this. Nothing wrong with the 90s costume he was wearing, but it was still just...literally his 90s costume and I like this bit of update to it.

Crab mask = best mask. Glad they kept that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edgelordy is something I would really not ever describe Young Animal with.

Thus far, it seems Milk Wars is a meta parody of derivative takes on Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman and the concept of continuity.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wild Hunt was great, and my Doom Patrol shirt came in the mail. Good DC day today.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What Doom Patrol shirt?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Eh. Not a fan of the gauntlets. Cause his wrists would have to flex, I can only imagine them being some weird faux-metal shiny foam rubber.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 15, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Roth posted:

What Doom Patrol shirt?

Hot topic online exclusive. There’s also one for Shade and a general Young Animal shirt.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Open Marriage Night posted:

Hot topic online exclusive. There’s also one for Shade and a general Young Animal shirt.

I never would have thought I'd be in a world where Hot Topic has Doom Patrol and Shade shirts.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I need a Shade shirt!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They don't seem to have mens' sizes, but it's a pretty cool shirt I think

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would want that shirt if it didnt have the huge young animal logo on it

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

They don't seem to have mens' sizes, but it's a pretty cool shirt I think

The page says 'listed in men's sizes' I'm gonna look just like her momentarily! Does black Sharpie work as lipstick?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

I'm a little wary of the events that have been going on in Detective Comics. I don't hate the story being told exactly, but there's just a lot to be wary about, here, and a lot of paths being taken that there isn't any going back from.

I'm less wary about these (and I assume it's in reference to the events with Kate) but still getting pretty soured on the book and the tendency lately to just write everything back to Tim at the expense of... pretty much everyone else in the cast.

At this point I hope that the rumors of Tomasi getting put on 'tec are true because it really needs some shaking up.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Poor Aquaman of North Korea. I feel worse for him than Aquaman of Wild Storm. And Aqua Ape of Wild Hunt.

Is is Aquaman's anniversary or something?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

I'm a little wary of the events that have been going on in Detective Comics. I don't hate the story being told exactly, but there's just a lot to be wary about, here, and a lot of paths being taken that there isn't any going back from.

It's good comics, and Batwoman's not even wrong, but it still feels like her character is being done a little dirty.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I quite liked Sideways #1.
It'd be funny if his cosplayer buddy ends up the go-to costume tailor for the DCU.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I quite liked Sideways #1.
It'd be funny if his cosplayer buddy ends up the go-to costume tailor for the DCU.

Sideways was nice, I see some people complaining that he didn't really get to like... fight, but I prefer establishing to start with.

Also

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

(and I'm sure someone might say the same if they jumped headlong into something like Wild Hunt with no knowledge of the event).

Quoting this since my last ask was lost to the ether. I like Morrison, especially on multiverse comics. How lost will I be if I pick up Wild Hunt having not read the rest of the event?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

glitchwraith posted:

Quoting this since my last ask was lost to the ether. I like Morrison, especially on multiverse comics. How lost will I be if I pick up Wild Hunt having not read the rest of the event?

Pretty goddamn lost

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/964170707927216129

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/964154403044429824

For those lazy to click on the links

-Metal is pushed back two weeks (so March's last week) with no reason given for the change.

-The 4th World Omnibus is missing a page on Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #148. DC encourages to anyone owning the trade to returning to the retailer they bought it so they can be replaced with no cost for a fixed copy.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah I've read all the Metal one-shots and the main series and I was still a little lost. I wonder if I miss something because I don't remember Raven, Barry, and Victor hopping in a ship. And I definitely don't remember the evil Batmen stealing The Carrier. I'll re-read it when everything is over.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Q&A with Corinna Bechko, co-writer of GL: Earth One

quote:

TMS: What made you want to work on Green Lantern?

Bechko: Honestly, I love to write sci-fi almost as much as I enjoy writing horror. My co-writer Gabriel Hardman and I preferentially work in science fiction much of the time, and this was a terrific chance to work on a heroic sci-fi story.

TMS: The gritty Hal Jordan is so different than the versions we have seen before. Yes, he’s been evil, but this was one of the first times Hal really seemed like an everyman character. Why did you feel he was the right person to tell this story rather than another Lantern like Alan Scott, Guy Gardner or John Stewart?

Bechko: Somehow the story just always seemed like it was Jordan’s. But aside from that, we wanted to use a very well-known Lantern so that people who were only vaguely aware of the characters wouldn’t be too confused by an unfamiliar name.

TMS: We are introduced to a universe where the Green Lanterns are scattered and their central power is gone. It is in many ways a deconstruction of the mythology about the Corps, Oa, and everything we’ve known about that universe so far. Was it a challenge for you, as a writer of this long franchise, to start at the beginning and turn this into something all your own?

Bechko: In many ways, it was easier to start clean. The whole point of the Earth One series is to create an entry point for people who might not be too familiar with a given hero. That means that they need to be stripped of all their baggage and history. Weaving a complex story that deals with continuity can be fun, but I’ve always felt that tone and “feel” are the most important attributes when it comes to crafting an existing character. Gabriel and I spent a lot of time talking about how to make sure that this new story felt like Green Lantern without relying on any of the specific history attached to existing books.

TMS: Each panel is filled with so much detail, and towards the end, it just does not stop moving. How was the process of writing the script for this comic and then the transformation of it into a print medium?

Bechko: When Gabriel and I work together on our own books, like “INVISIBLE REPUBLIC,” we don’t tend to write full scripts since how it looks is how it reads, full stop. Instead, we work out the story, including what will go on each page, then he does the art, and that informs how the final dialogue will go. Many ideas are executed or rejected on the fly. Obviously, we can’t be quite that freeform when working for someone else, but the essence of how we write remains the same. He tends to think a lot more visually than I do, but neither of us shies away from committing to action. After all, one of the beautiful things about comics is that you can convey a lot through the art without anyone saying a word. Of course, that means that our scripts are quite spare, usually only giving enough detail for our editor and colorist to understand what we’re going for. When I collaborate with other people my scripts are a lot wordier since I don’t always get to discuss the final product with other artists.

TMS: Part of what is so perfect about this comic is that you can pick this up and have zero knowledge of Green Lantern comics. It is a fresh take and a truly diverse, modern reimagining of this character. What do you want readers to take from this new incarnation of Hal Jordan? From the new world you have created for the Green Lantern?

Bechko: I hope they’ll like him and want to read more about him! Other than that, I hope they recognize that he’s heroic because of the choices he makes, not because of any innate or inborn trait. You often hear people saying things along the lines of “somebody do something!” whenever there’s a crisis, be it a dog that needs rescuing or a climate that needs stabilizing. And yet, we are all “somebody.” For me, the whole point of reading about heroes is to feel like I, too, am a person who can hope for a better tomorrow as well as work to make it happen.

Really looking forward to it.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

At this point I hope that the rumors of Tomasi getting put on 'tec are true because it really needs some shaking up.

I do agree that it needs shaking up, but I kind of dread if the Tomasi rumor is true, just because it almost certainly means the team aspect of the book will be abandoned, or characters like Cass and Steph will be dropped entirely.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pubic works project posted:

Yeah I've read all the Metal one-shots and the main series and I was still a little lost. I wonder if I miss something because I don't remember Raven, Barry, and Victor hopping in a ship. And I definitely don't remember the evil Batmen stealing The Carrier. I'll re-read it when everything is over.
I kind of like how they're offering different, somewhat congruent, explanations of Cosmic DC, with the Forge of Worlds leading to what gets preserved in the Orrery, and drawing on Morrison's work but the god-awful Batman Who Laughs is just the worst of all the dumb Batman Can Beat God with Enough Prep Time poo poo.

He's literally The Light from Young Justice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

I do agree that it needs shaking up, but I kind of dread if the Tomasi rumor is true, just because it almost certainly means the team aspect of the book will be abandoned, or characters like Cass and Steph will be dropped entirely.

I dunno why, unless he's given a mandate to change it. His best work is based on close relationships (GLC, BnR, Superman). His last go at Tec with a solo Gordon was nothing special.

Hopefully he's aware of that.

edit: His Superman/Wonder Woman was pretty bunk too, thinking back. Set Tec 15 years in the future when Batman is a dad again and you might get a good Tomasi comic!

pubic works project posted:

I don't think there's any set-up for that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 15, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

-The 4th World Omnibus is missing a page on Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #148. DC encourages to anyone owning the trade to returning to the retailer they bought it so they can be replaced with no cost for a fixed copy.

Oh, I noticed that while reading, good on them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like Morrison was given the set up for Metal and some of the general plot points and then went off to write his own thing while the Metal series ran. So poo poo like Detective Chimp still being alive despite dying in one of the earlier Metal issues happens because lol at working on this together.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It only really read like Morrison when the scientists were together. I doubt he wrote the intro scene, so I doubt the whole A-story of the issue was sprung on an unsuspecting Snyder who could only just watch it happen.

e: If it ever has to be justified, it's not exactly explicit that he stayed behind.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 15, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm a little surprised at how small of a role the Metal Men have played in this event, honestly.

'Cuz. Y'know.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

It only really read like Morrison when the scientists were together. I doubt he wrote the intro scene, so I doubt the whole A-story of the issue was sprung on an unsuspecting Snyder who could only just watch it happen.

The Detective Chimp stuff felt very Morrison. Like something from Seven Soldiers.

And you can totally read Wild Hunt on its own for the Morrison. If you read Final Crisis/Multiversity, it's just that, but with evil Batmans

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Detective Chimp stuff felt very Morrison. Like something from Seven Soldiers.

I remember a tweet from Snyder about Morrison contributing the idea of including Rex, which tells me he didn't actually plot it, but anyway, there's zero chance of Morrison thrusting Bobo on Snyder and Snyder being to afraid to correct him or anything like that.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm a little surprised at how small of a role the Metal Men have played in this event, honestly.

'Cuz. Y'know.

Lmao

Oh and I guess I need to re-read all of Metal. I forgot that Chimp died.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Darth Nat posted:

I'm not sure it entirely would, but I don't think it could get any worse considering in 974 Steph continues to get straight up used as the Tim Drake Pathos Enabler again and walks out (and is presumably just on hiatus from the book) again. Cass looks like she's going to have really strong development from all of this, but immediately after it happens it's being referred to as "Tim's war against Batwoman." I like the team aspect in theory but this isn't really being written as a team.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: If it ever has to be justified, it's not exactly explicit that he stayed behind.

They destroyed the Oblivion Bar and killed the Shadowpact? :(

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

They destroyed the Oblivion Bar and killed the Shadowpact? :(

Well, Nightmaster. The Bar is on fire but still there at the end, they were using the jukebox so it's probably just a ruined mess.

The usual hiding spaces for heroes during events are not available, I think is the thrust of this. It's part of the evil Batmen, because they know all the hiding spots.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

nofather posted:

Well, Nightmaster. The Bar is on fire but still there at the end, they were using the jukebox so it's probably just a ruined mess.

The usual hiding spaces for heroes during events are not available, I think is the thrust of this. It's part of the evil Batmen, because they know all the hiding spots.

Oh that is fine. Nightmaster is immortal while in his armor. He will heal up and revive.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's an unveiling event for the Zoom and Ink books from earlier in the month, which DC just put up on Youtube. It's worth a look if only for the concept art, most of which I don't think they've made available otherwise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABzZehyJFo&t=990s
Lined up to the presentations, but rewind for some Dan Didio library based stand-up.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/964154403044429824

For those lazy to click on the links

-Metal is pushed back two weeks (so March's last week) with no reason given for the change.

My GF got me this as a Valentine's Gift, having to return this sucks. Also we bought from a UK online retailer, so not sure if we'll even qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

frameset posted:

My GF got me this as a Valentine's Gift, having to return this sucks. Also we bought from a UK online retailer, so not sure if we'll even qualify.

I'm just gonna keep the original.