Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The plastic scouts are hot garbage. I find them to be inferior to the metal ones that came before them in everything but weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Slimnoid posted:

The plastic scouts are hot garbage. I find them to be inferior to the metal ones that came before them in everything but weight.

They were cheap, and I needed a troops unit and didn't want more Intercessors.

I have regrets. They're getting half-rear end painted and treated as utility only.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Liquid Communism posted:

They were cheap, and I needed a troops unit and didn't want more Intercessors.

I have regrets. They're getting half-rear end painted and treated as utility only.

If you ever decide you want more Scouts, just trawl ebay for the metal ones. I'm seeing 5 for $20 most of the time and that's roughly on-par with the plastic set.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Been at Winter Fantasy 2018 for the past five days so didn't get any time to paint.

Got some time in tonight tho.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I finished my Inceptors tonight. I got a new phone, too, so after I get it activated, y'all are in for a very large picture dump.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Beer4theBeerGod has inspired me (been a bad influence on me?) to note down how long the various steps of my assembly/painting process is taking. As of right now, my current DAK squad is shaking out as follows:

1. De-sprue and trim legs/torsos, attach to fender-washer base: 9 models, 52 minutes, ~09:45 per mini
2. Apply acrylic texture paste to base: 12 models, 32 minutes, ~02:40 per mini
3. Sand/trim acrylic texture paste: 12 models, 26.25 minutes, ~02:11 per mini
4. Apply and shape PVA glue/sand to base: 12 models, 22.30 minutes, ~01:50 per mini

I still need to de-sprue, trim, and attach the arms, helmets, and backpacks, at which point they'll be ready for primer. But as of right now I'm looking at 16:26 per mini in the prep/assembly phase. I'm guessing that will rise to about 25 minutes or so per mini for all of the trimming, assembly, and basing.

In terms of cutting down that time, the two things I could do that would help most would be to pre-thin a batch of the acrylic texture paste (mine is starting to get a little old and crusty) and be an order of magnitude less anal about mold lines (which really are pretty minor on these minis). But I never saw a mold line I could resist trimming, no matter how minor, so I think I'm stuck with that one. :sigh:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Painted some arms and glued them on, and did some base work for my quad mortars.

Next up is salt for the mortars, brush detailing on the arms, then pigments for the squad and base coats for the mortar crews.

Ideally I can get the squad done by the 19th, because then I leave for 5 days and will inevitably lose momentum.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
No progress. Just Kingdom Come.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Six ready for the next step! Six to finish grays on.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Turns out oils are pretty fun.

I think I thinned it out a bit too much in the end, kept having to go back and add more pigment to places. I really love how you can just move it around whenever you want to, I'll try out a bit more blending with the next one. Burnt umber was definitely the right choice.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

So, trip report on priming with Waverly chalk paint as suggested by Sydney Bollocks:

I hate these scout sculpts. They're terrible compared to modern Marines, but the date on the sprue says 2005 so I suppose they're old enough to be in middle school at this point.

The bases are primed in Waverly Elephant Grey as well, it came out pretty good. I had to thin this stuff pretty heavily, it's high-solids paint.

Result:

I may put a second thin coat over a couple areas, but this worked out pretty nicely. It is absurdly flat, and from a scratch test appears to have bonded well with the plastic.

Awesome! :) Regarding how it bonds with plastic: just a little while ago I was cleaning the mass of dried paint off my paint palettes (the cheap plastic ones with little "wells" you can usually get for like $0.99). After a little soaking in some warm soapy water, the spots of regular paints came right off under a running tap, but the parts where I'd mixed up some chalk paint for primer had to actually be scrubbed to get them clean. I dunno if it bonds as well as the commercial primers like Vallejo or whatnot, but it definitely seems to adhere pretty well.

And yeah, it can't be said enough that you definitely have to thin the chalk paints before applying. As a test, I took a spare SM arm and just glopped it on, and while it still shrank as it dried, it did clog some details. But a thin coat or two seems to do the trick as far as priming goes.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Reading this thread has made me realise how much stuff I have to paint when SW: Legion gets released. I haven't painted anything since the mid 90's

I'm doomed

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Awesome! :) Regarding how it bonds with plastic: just a little while ago I was cleaning the mass of dried paint off my paint palettes (the cheap plastic ones with little "wells" you can usually get for like $0.99). After a little soaking in some warm soapy water, the spots of regular paints came right off under a running tap, but the parts where I'd mixed up some chalk paint for primer had to actually be scrubbed to get them clean. I dunno if it bonds as well as the commercial primers like Vallejo or whatnot, but it definitely seems to adhere pretty well.

And yeah, it can't be said enough that you definitely have to thin the chalk paints before applying. As a test, I took a spare SM arm and just glopped it on, and while it still shrank as it dried, it did clog some details. But a thin coat or two seems to do the trick as far as priming goes.

I'm hopefully going to put a color basecoat over some of it today, we'll see how it covers. I think a greenish base under Caliban Green should make it faster, though.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Knocked out this motorboi last night after lugging my desk upstairs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfLYFZGFXwF/

6 more of his buddies to go, coincidentally I have a poo poo ton of scout biker bits of anyone needs em.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Got my 5 wraithguard primed for paint last night and put together the Yncarne and Eldrad.

Man, the Eldrad sculpt is so good. Huge fan of that one. Gonna try to paint it the same way i painted my friends old metal Eldrad:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

I quit. This is so good.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm hopefully going to put a color basecoat over some of it today, we'll see how it covers. I think a greenish base under Caliban Green should make it faster, though.

It'll definitely help speed things up painting-wise. Below is the Primaris I originally posted, with basecoat and shade wash added, next to the Primaris sergeant (did a head swap with a BA Death Company head) that I just primed up the other day.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I quit. This is so good.

Thanks! Hopefully I can do it again.

Don't quit!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished my toxicrene faster then expected only took 3 days of off and on work, I think having done the one is enough however.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Didn't get much painting done today. A little more gray paint my Stealth Suits. Trying to stay motivated while I can't mathhammer until the new codex comes out. I also stayed up too late watching The Expanse last night.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I also stayed up too late watching The Expanse last night.

:same:

It's such a good show, it's okay to skip painting minis to watch it. :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's 1AM and I just stopped playing Kingdom Come.

I really need to get back to painting.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

R0ckfish posted:

I finished my toxicrene faster then expected only took 3 days of off and on work, I think having done the one is enough however.

So good.

I worked on rusting out the megaphrones and chainsword last night. Next step is to go in and detail it out.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Got about an hour in each morning the last three day. Pretty much done with this test model. I'm liking the scheme.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished my Saurus Warriors. Painted up real easy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Work has been crazy so my painting progress has suffered. For now I'm going to focus on putting together an army for a Tactical Strike campaign next month. Here's a mockup of a Tyrant. Thoughts on the concept?

Bolter will get another barrel and the SOH markings will get shaved off

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Deified Data posted:

Finished my Saurus Warriors. Painted up real easy.

I love these, but they'd be SO much cooler if you'd trimmed the mold lines first. I can't unsee mold-lines. :cripes:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's 1AM and I just stopped playing Kingdom Come.

I really need to get back to painting.

i was thinking the same thing after playing Monster Hunter World. Then I scalded my painting hand so I'm hugging some frozen carrots instead.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I am cursed to literally never notice them until they've been painted.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deified Data posted:

I am cursed to literally never notice them until they've been painted.

I remove mold lines, prime, and then check them all over again. It seems to help.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I remove mold lines, prime, and then check them all over again. It seems to help.

Seconding this, I use a lighter grey primer for a first coat, for some reason it helps me pick up the details better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Immanentized posted:

Seconding this, I use a lighter grey primer for a first coat, for some reason it helps me pick up the details better.

It's because the paint is flat.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's because the paint is flat.

How do you remove them when primer is on, can you still scape them or do you have to sand?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booyah- posted:

How do you remove them when primer is on, can you still scape them or do you have to sand?

Scrape away!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The worst mold lines for me are the ones in the recesses of things like plasma coils. I can scrape the outer ones but haven't figured out a clean way to get at the lines in the recesses.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booyah- posted:

The worst mold lines for me are the ones in the recesses of things like plasma coils. I can scrape the outer ones but haven't figured out a clean way to get at the lines in the recesses.

I use the knife and just make a little cut. Barring that the edge of a file.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I mentioned this a few pages ago, but depending on the severity of the mould line you can fix 99% of them by "painting" a tiny amount of Tamiya Extra Thin plastic glue into the recesses. And I mean a TINY amount. As in keep wiping the brush on the bottle rim way longer than you think you should before applying.

Its the only way I've found I can get those lines along plasma cells or ribbed piping without going insane or losing detail.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The citadel moldline remover works wonderfully on ribbed things like hoses and plasma coils. It's goddamn magic.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Done with painting the scouts for my copy of Lost Patrol, next up are the 6 spawn markers, then basing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Got quite a bit done today:

Finished building and basing 5 Intercessors
Built and based a Primaris Captain
Built and based 5 Hellblasters
Based another Primaris Captain

Proof:

Tomorrow is spray day!