Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Elephanthead posted:

Carrying $500K into a strip club is either very BWM or very GWM I can't decide.

How big would a bundle of 500k strip club folded $1 bills be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
500k at a West Virginia strip club better buy you the club, every car in the lot and every performer on the stage.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Panfilo posted:

Most of those lottery horror stories have more to do with lovely friends and family that are just tolerated. Look at all the R/relationships stories that involve a spineless person putting up with way too much poo poo. Maybe if you win all that money you can afford to grow a pair when it comes to lovely friends and family.

i lost almost all of my friends and had most of my familial relationships strained when a startup i was an early employee at raised money at a crazy number. everyone just assumed i was secretly sitting on like 20 mil, at least. at the time my options were worth around $170k but i wasn't fully vested and they weren't liquid at all. i ended up clearing just over $20k when they finally exited. maybe all those friends and most of my family were actually just lovely all along, but never underestimate how money can gently caress everything up

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

500k at a West Virginia strip club better buy you the club, every car in the lot and every performer on the stage.

Sadly, they stopped allowing that 155 years ago.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FrozenVent posted:

How big would a bundle of 500k strip club folded $1 bills be?

358 feet tall.

You couldn't bundles them but I am assuming you folded them in half and stacked them perfectly on a strippers butt.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

the talent deficit posted:

i lost almost all of my friends and had most of my familial relationships strained when a startup i was an early employee at raised money at a crazy number. everyone just assumed i was secretly sitting on like 20 mil, at least. at the time my options were worth around $170k but i wasn't fully vested and they weren't liquid at all. i ended up clearing just over $20k when they finally exited. maybe all those friends and most of my family were actually just lovely all along, but never underestimate how money can gently caress everything up

Ya people don’t understand how startup equity works at all, never mind stocks on the whole.

Most of my friends not in startups assume my options are shares. Nope - they’re the option to purchase shares.

I’m gonna err on the side that those friends weren’t really your friends. People are lovely and weird about that stuff.

I actually don’t tell friends I work for a startup - I tell them I work for a small business.

Regarding stripper talk: I bet you could buy the babies inside the strippers too with the $500k.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think it was Chris Rock who said there's a big difference between 'rich' and 'wealth', and lottery winners illustrate that terrifyingly well. Even people who become wealthy more steadily through a sports or entertainment career have more opportunity to adjust and may occasionally not end up broke (Oprah comes to mind) while lotto winners find that that, ironically, a rich person's lifestyle isn't something you can just go to a store and buy.

We haven't really come too far from feudalism when it comes to the sheer divide between the wealthy and the proles, illustrated so well when one tries to rise above their station.

I bet there are a lot of lottery winners you never hear about because they spend their money sensibly, and use it to raise the station of their family.

Guillermo del Toro's father won the lottery, and I'm sure that helped his son in being able to piss about making movies rather than getting a "real job"!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BarbarianElephant posted:

I bet there are a lot of lottery winners you never hear about because they spend their money sensibly, and use it to raise the station of their family.

Guillermo del Toro's father won the lottery, and I'm sure that helped his son in being able to piss about making movies rather than getting a "real job"!

Mel Gibson's dad won a lot of money in a work-injury lawsuit and then won a lot of money on Jeopardy, which allowed him to move the family to Australia and raise them as loony right-wing Christian cultists.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

GDT's father was also kidnapped by the Mexcan cartels and held for a $1mil ransom before GDT had "made it" (this was around the time he made Mimic, iirc) so James Cameron paid it for him.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a friend of mine won a lottery in ireland or spain or somewhere, got about a million, which was spent on paying off his mortgage, his mom's mortgage, college funds for the kids and the leftover sub 5k was spent on a big night out with his wife

obviously his life is way loving easier now due to no concerns about saving for college/housing expenses but the outward appearance is identical to most other folks

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

a friend of mine won a lottery in ireland or spain or somewhere, got about a million, which was spent on paying off his mortgage, his mom's mortgage, college funds for the kids and the leftover sub 5k was spent on a big night out with his wife

poo poo, I knew I should've answered those e-mails about my winning Eurolottery numbers. :(

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

mastershakeman posted:

obviously his life is way loving easier now due to no concerns about saving for college/housing expenses but the outward appearance is identical to most other folks

Yeah, that's what sensible people do with a lottery win. It makes their life pleasant, but doesn't make interesting headlines like "Lottery winner on streets after blowing the lot on high living."

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

This thread consistently has the best titles but it seems they get lost in the ether after we move on. Could we chronicle each new title change in the OP? It'll be nice to look back on in the future, especially if each includes a quick bit of context or link for those who miss the initial discussion that inspires each change.

e: or are previous iterations visible somewhere already? Maybe I've missed that feature.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Teeter posted:

This thread consistently has the best titles but it seems they get lost in the ether after we move on. Could we chronicle each new title change in the OP? It'll be nice to look back on in the future, especially if each includes a quick bit of context or link for those who miss the initial discussion that inspires each change.
I love this idea. This is as close to a meme thread as BFC gets and it would be nice to memorialize some of it.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The amount you win probably factors in as well. A million would make life a ton easier but it isn't "stop working, live in London, shop at Harrods" money. 10 million and it's cockroaches out the woodwork time because everyone wants a piece of that

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Teeter posted:

e: or are previous iterations visible somewhere already? Maybe I've missed that feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YBvP6j8cJ8

I dropped the ball on Wonderhanger awards 2017, which I will make up for at some point, so I should probably put in some effort.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sloth Life posted:

The amount you win probably factors in as well. A million would make life a ton easier but it isn't "stop working, live in London, shop at Harrods" money. 10 million and it's cockroaches out the woodwork time because everyone wants a piece of that
You act like people don't still think a million dollars is Oprah money.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Teeter posted:

this is the best idea i've seen this week of any kind

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is the best idea i've seen this week of any kind

Yes, thirded (fourthed?)

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Thread titles that I remember:
I bought every horse I've ever seen!
My main man I’ve got three words for you: time-share horse.
What's the grace period on a margin call, again?

What else have we had?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I think the margin call grace period was the stock trading thread.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Bad With Money: Lularoe and Meggings Too #MomBoss

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I know I had the personal submarine from aol stock options one for a bit, and another that only lasted a day or two that I can't remember.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

legendof posted:

:

I’m not sure this one will ever be topped

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Just wait til we're diamond
Think of all that delta

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

legendof posted:

Thread titles that I remember:
My main man I’ve got three words for you: time-share horse.
What's the grace period on a margin call, again?

What else have we had?

Just Wait 'til We're Diamond!
Time to Get Oily!
There was also one about a guy who spent a bunch of money on some sort of electrical dick shocking sex toy but I can't remember the specifics, which is what inspired this idea in the first place.

Senor Dog posted:

I’m not sure this one will ever be topped

:agreed:

I'm going to start recording thread titles and story highlights in a personal BWM.txt file moving forward but got curious if anyone (or the forums automatically) had saved previous iterations anywhere. They'll be nice to look back on around Wonderhanger time

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

There was one about a Corvette, too lol.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's not a BMW, that's just the dealership I got it from

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

canyoneer posted:

It's not a BMW, that's just the dealership I got it from

The person actually wrote BWM in their reddit thread title. Perfect.

If my laptop didn't die in December, I would have had every title change I've ever made saved to auto fill text. But let's see...

Bad With Money: Don't Miss out on these dealzzzzz!!! THEY ARE FROM THE LORD!
BWM 2018: Ah, mine isn't actually a BWM; that's just the dealership I bought it from

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Looks like she's upside down on her horse mortgage!

That one still makes me chuckle.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Teeter posted:

Just Wait 'til We're Diamond!
Time to Get Oily!
There was also one about a guy who spent a bunch of money on some sort of electrical dick shocking sex toy but I can't remember the specifics, which is what inspired this idea in the first place.

That last one was the last thread, which I remember because it's still the title on the achieved thread. But for reference, it's "I just paid for a fat bitches electric cock zapping sex toy in Kentucky"

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

quote:

Sadly my last remaining grandparent passed away last year, and I'm a small beneficiary of his will. I've since learned that my mother, the executor of his will, has used a great deal of his cash to purchase silver coins from the Perth Mint, and it will be these that I 'inherit'.

I do not know which coins in particular, but I believe the coins I'll receive were purchased for around $8,000.

I'm not in a position to hold the coins as I have a young family, a mega mortgage and credit card debt comfortably exceeding the value of the coins. My only intention is to sell them and use the proceeds to pay down the credit cards (which I've already cut up, I simply pay the interest at the moment).

When I look at the buy and sell prices on the Perth Mint's website, I see things like sell at $151, buy back at $101, and other examples with similar ratios. This seems criminal, and I'm not stupid enough to sell to them.

It turns out that his mother might acted unlawfully with the estate. This dude is sensbile enough to not cause a fuss over $2000 AU, but,

quote:

I won't be suing her, but my cousins might.

Basically, mom thinks this is a good long term investment, for people with crippling credit card debt.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BattleMoose posted:

Basically, mom thinks this is a good long term investment, for people with crippling credit card debt.

But-but-but what about the inevitable mad max collapse of civilization. That precious metal is so going to worth more than food/water/medicine/ammo/fuel.

Checkmate bond holders

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you’re afraid of fiat currency for some reason then why buy silver and not gold?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cowofwar posted:

If you’re afraid of fiat currency for some reason then why buy silver and not gold?

I mean geez have you seen how much more silver you get for your money??

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would like to see someone carry off a 600 lb chunk of silver.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

cowofwar posted:

Silverbugs tend to believe that silver is undervalued compared to gold.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I just googled my question and it appears that it doesn’t matter since smart money is in bitcoin.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Its actually worse than it seems because the mom didn't just buy silver she bought silver coins, which cost about twice their value in silver. So selling them is just made that much harder.

Also, $8000AU of silver comes to about 24 pounds.

Its actually super weird the type of coins the Perth Mint sells.

http://www.perthmint.com/catalogue/latest-silver-coins.aspx

Can get star trek, spider man and planet of the ape themed coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

I would like to see someone carry off a 600 lb chunk of silver.

I went to a science museum a few months ago and one of the displays was a chunk of ore almost a yard across at its largest point that contained something like a quarter million worth of silver. Even with a wheelbarrow and a getaway van it seems like it would be too much effort to haul off, refine, cast, and fence by the ounce for fifteen bucks.