Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
In addition to all the above remote-work things, make sure you have a place you can go when the kids are having a horrorshow of a day. I can disappear to Starbucks across the highway in a pinch, but if you need to have meetings, find a quiet place that you have access to — a friend or family member's home, a private room at the library, whatever. An office with a door that closes is bare minimum when you're working with kids, it's Not Good Enough for any kind of actual productivity. I don't know how the hell my dad shared the den with my gaming TV when I was a kid.

You'll probably need to get away from your partner/spouse/whatever, too, because no matter how much they say that they understand office time is work time, they actually do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

You'll probably need to get away from your partner/spouse/whatever, too, because no matter how much they say that they understand office time is work time, they actually do not.

My parents have zero respect that just because I am at home, doesn't mean I'm free. Even now, just 30 minutes ago, my mom stopped by my house to wish me a happy valentines day. Which on its own is nice, but no, I can't regularly drop whatever I'm doing to entertain you when you randomly stop by unannounced in the middle of the day.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Man I can't even get that at my office. Semi-open concept with my team of L1's constantly coming to ask me questions.

The previous place I was at had an open office space. We had 1 guy who was the most knowledgeable . Tier 3 as it where. The IT guys would constantly bug him for questions.
What he did was pretty effective I think. If he was busy, he'd just say. Is it an emergency? If not. Not now.
He'd eventually help you, When it suited him. Which also created an effect that you would't bother him for a small question.

Games talk: I'm currently completely sucked in by Monster Hunter World.
Recently bought Rayman legends for the switch. Now me and my sister play it. It's a great co op game.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MF_James posted:

The biggest thing (in my opinion) is one of the things other people have said, there needs to be an understanding that when you're working, you are At Work, it's not "Oh hey can you clean the X because you're home all day?". Sure, you can take breaks here and there, I do that when working from home and I'll toss some laundry in or whatever, but it's not expected nor is it required.

Oooh this is a good one. My wife is very understanding, she doesn't expect anything from me during the day.

Another WFH tip, for the love of god stay active. I was a fat bastard when I went into the office, but working from home dropped my activity level down to almost nothing. There used to be entire days where I would take less than 1000 steps all day. I got stupid fat. I'm turning it around, but seriously, stay active. I take a break every 2 hours now and walk around the block for 15 minutes.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
With two kids, the only way I get any time to myself is when I wake up super early to work out. There are no more all day video game sessions. My wife and I get about an hour and a half a night after the kids are sleeping to unwind, so usually we watch some shows or half of a movie. We’ve been binging Curb Your Enthusiasm for like 6 months are only on season 7. I haven’t had a whole day to myself in over a year and I doubt I will again any time soon but it’s all good.

With a toddler and a newborn I definitely enjoy going to work because I can actually “relax”.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My kids enjoy watching me play videogames (and also playing themselves) so no worries there. But no, I can't watch any adult television until they're in bed and of course by then, I'm getting ready for bed because I have work the next day. 1 or 2 epsiodes a night, no Netflix binges for me.

But! I get President's Day off and they do not!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Since two of my kids started preschool, I work from home until 11:30 when they get home. Makes it easier for my wife to not take the toddler with her, and I don't have to take the piece of poo poo car to work in the snow.

It took a while to get on the same page that yes, I might be on the exercise bike or looking at forums, but I'm in 'work mode'. I can't help around the house or play with the kids and instantly transition back into work mode when something happens. A lot of the time I'm idly thinking about issues or documentation without actually doing anything.

If you get an actual wfh gig make sure, no matter how many eye rolls you get, you sit down and spell out the rules with your significant other / housemates from the start.

E RE: parent hobbies
My kid wanted to play hockey. I got him into a floor hockey class, bought skates, and then totally took over his sport. I now leave work an hour early to play pickup hockey with high school kids and it loving rules.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 15, 2018

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

In addition to all the above remote-work things, make sure you have a place you can go when the kids are having a horrorshow of a day. I can disappear to Starbucks across the highway in a pinch, but if you need to have meetings, find a quiet place that you have access to — a friend or family member's home, a private room at the library, whatever. An office with a door that closes is bare minimum when you're working with kids, it's Not Good Enough for any kind of actual productivity. I don't know how the hell my dad shared the den with my gaming TV when I was a kid.

I was going to make this exact post. Your experience clearly mirrors mine. Having worked from home with my wife and both kids there for a time, my recommendation is don’t. Maybe you can pull it off if you have a very large home or a detached guest cottage or something, where you can be waaay the gently caress away from the rest of the family during work hours. Our house is pretty small and my office is just between the baby’s room and the bathroom. Even with a door and our four year old finally being old enough to respect my work time like...80% of the time, I have to basically wear headphones all day. And if one or both of them is having a meltdown, RIP any hope of real work happening or being able to take a phone call.

And taking care of two small kids is intensely challenging. Even the most understanding spouse is gonna break down sometimes and ask you to help out if you are physically in the house. This will lead to frustration on both sides.

I’m sure it works great for some families. But it didn’t for me and I went back to commuting into the office every day.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

The Fool posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love my son and wouldn't change a thing, but having children is a total change in lifestyle, and people need to be fully aware of that before making that decision.
Yeah, there are two things that you just can't understand until you have a kid. 1) How much you will love this little person that you created, and 2) How totally different your life will be. If you don't have a kid, think about how much you think a kid would change your life, and multiply it times ten.

Vulture Culture posted:

Unfortunately, yeah, this is true. I still struggle with having to justify why I didn't get around to (chore) because work was particularly busy that day.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I can barely take care of my dogs. I’d need a real understanding partner to have a kid.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks for the advice. It seems to be in line with what I was thinking especially have an Adult Conversation with the significant other to establish expectations and set boundaries ahead of time.

The multiple comments from everyone about having an established space for working that a. isn't the bedroom b. has (locking) door and c. is far away from things makes a ton of sense. I think because I'm a PC gamer dude I'd have to put the family gaming computer in a common space anyway so the kiddos know that dads office is work time not play time, and also just so the kiddos can be supervised because who the gently caress lets their kids browse the internet unsupervised?? And on that note, do you guys set up a Whitelist system on your routers to block kids from seeing poo poo?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I can barely take care of myself

Ftfy

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

So true

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I can barely take care of my dogs. I’d need a real understanding partner to have a kid.

My wife and I got our dog three years ago. A month later we agreed that we're never going to have kids.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My wife and I got our dog three years ago. A month later we agreed that we're never going to have kids.

Cats are easier to maintain but usually assholes.

Rats are really easy to maintain, sometimes assholes, but furry little chaos machines that are fun as hell to watch. Ultimate working in IT pet.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Except my cat lays on my keyboard and then attacks my hands when I try to type or move her. She doesn't realize what it takes to keep her whisker deep in the magic food dish apparently.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lots of rear end in a top hat behavior is tolerated from cats that dogs would not be able to get away with.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Friendly reminder to immediately cut off access to any adminstrator who gets fired.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/14/rogue_it_admin_canadian_railway_switches/

Guy got fired, promised real hard to bring his laptop back, used it to gently caress up the IT network from home. Deleted admin accounts, deleted files, be ruined configs to bring the network down.

Gets 366 days in jail for it but that was probably a bitch to clean up and restore.

Ignore the terrible puns in the article they're really loving bad.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It says a lot that they didn't notice he locked them out of the switches for TWO WEEKS. Not a well-run company.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Weird question, but I have a 2003 VM that is having some major issues for one reason or another and I planned on migrating off this system anyway because it's 15 years old, but I need the files off it and it seems to be unable to connect to the network anymore. Is there any way to copy the harddrives and export them so I can load them up on another VM?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There are switches I haven't logged into in months and months. Not sure how long it'd take to notice I've been locked out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If it's already a VM you can copy the VMDKs and mount them on the other VM.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

There are switches I haven't logged into in months and months. Not sure how long it'd take to notice I've been locked out.

You should have monitoring logging into them regularly for other purposes and would know when that failed or if the monitoring saw a password change.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Internet Explorer posted:

You should have monitoring logging into them regularly for other purposes and would know when that failed or if the monitoring saw a password change.

We have them all on Solarwinds for uptime but not much beyond that. I guess I do have them all in CatTools for auto config backups once per month so yeah that would have been an indicator.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The last IT guy never did config backups. If somebody trashed the network back then it would have taken two weeks to recover, let alone notice something was wrong.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I get your sentiment, but someone with that level of access can bypass that pretty easily as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

I get your sentiment, but someone with that level of access can bypass that pretty easily as well.

Then wouldn't you have a heart beat alert that monitoring wasn't able to connect or you weren't getting performance stats / security logs? Or are we assuming he disabled monitoring and security logging on the monitor service side of things? I guess that's possible but that's why regularly reviewing those things or having a daily report is a good idea. I'm not saying that every place does these things, but to the point someone else made, not doing them is the network being fairly mismanaged. It's also possible I'm just misreading and being dumb, it's really too early for me to be posting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The last IT guy never did config backups. If somebody trashed the network back then it would have taken two weeks to recover, let alone notice something was wrong.

The poo poo I walked into last was 0 documentation, almost no passwords, no configuration backups, and pretty much no server/data backups. I don't know how those people sleep at night.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ignore the terrible puns in the article they're really loving bad.
theregister.txt

I know I've said it before, but I honestly wish they'd lay off the "edgy" writing style.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"On December 17, Grupe choo-choo-chose to take a walk on the other side of the tracks, and got up to mischief."

Huh? I saw that Simpsons episode over 20 years ago, too, but I'm not sure what it has to do with a year in prison.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Then wouldn't you have a heart beat alert that monitoring wasn't able to connect or you weren't getting performance stats / security logs? Or are we assuming he disabled monitoring and security logging on the monitor service side of things? I guess that's possible but that's why regularly reviewing those things or having a daily report is a good idea. I'm not saying that every place does these things, but to the point someone else made, not doing them is the network being fairly mismanaged. It's also possible I'm just misreading and being dumb, it's really too early for me to be posting.

Because in reality that few can be this loving diligent especially when there is an active saboteur with access and intimate knowledge of your systems. Unless your environment is small and your free time is endless, you checking these small details daily or even weekly. That is what your monitoring is for. If your monitoring is being covertly hosed with, you aren't going to notice because you have other poo poo to do. Sure, you notice after something breaks, but by then its too late.

None of what you said really matters if the access of the employee is left active.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

Sure, you notice after something breaks, but by then its too late.

None of what you said really matters if the access of the employee is left active.

No argument there. I was just replying to how you'd possibly know a switch was being hosed with. And I'd also make the argument that an ex-admin with passwords isn't really any different than someone else who got passwords/root through different means, so it's something you should plan for regardless of how you handle employee terminations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Only mitigation is privilege separation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

No argument there. I was just replying to how you'd possibly know a switch was being hosed with. And I'd also make the argument that an ex-admin with passwords isn't really any different than someone else who got passwords/root through different means, so it's something you should plan for regardless of how you handle employee terminations.

So routinely gameplan against people having access to all your systems administratively? Seems like some low EV of your time compared to all the other things that lead up to that. Not that it doesn't have some value.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"On December 17, Grupe choo-choo-chose to take a walk on the other side of the tracks, and got up to mischief."

Huh? I saw that Simpsons episode over 20 years ago, too, but I'm not sure what it has to do with a year in prison.

Trains go 'choo choo' u see

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

If it's already a VM you can copy the VMDKs and mount them on the other VM.

This was way easier than I thought considering all I had to was go into vSphere and hit export and out come the VMDKs

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sickening posted:

So routinely gameplan against people having access to all your systems administratively? Seems like some low EV of your time compared to all the other things that lead up to that. Not that it doesn't have some value.

Malicious internal users are not an uncommon problem, so yea, you should be planning to mitigate issues they can cause.

The answer is

SEKCobra posted:

Only mitigation is privilege separation.

Not everywhere can afford enough staff to do this, but having your security and auditing managed by a different team than network and server operations is a good start. It’s also why “the networking team does security” is bad practice. Another good one to separate out is people with privileges to modify and restore backups from from people with privileges to destroy production data.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm all those teams.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Malicious internal users are not an uncommon problem, so yea, you should be planning to mitigate issues they can cause.

The answer is

Not everywhere can afford enough staff to do this, but having your security and auditing managed by a different team than network and server operations is a good start. It’s also why “the networking team does security” is bad practice. Another good one to separate out is people with privileges to modify and restore backups from from people with privileges to destroy production data.

We agree. My point was dedicating time protecting yourself from people who have access to everything which I feel is not a great use of time. If you simply can't keep from those types of situations from existing, you simply have to accept the risk. You definitely focus on changing all access the moment you know they are leaving. But leaning on tools to monitor another party when they have full access to the tool is just giving yourself some false confidence.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

the article was written on Valentine's Day?