Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Yeah, I felt pretty strongly that the cycle will continue a few more times, maybe many more times, but there's hope in there that it can be ended. The second moon at the end felt like a symbol of permanent change to me, and therefore a sign of hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Despite my initial statements, I don't mind if people disagree with my take on the show. Part of the reason i'm even in this thread is to work backwards from the feeling of disappointment and annoyance I felt at the end of the series, I feel like I've done that and I have made clear why I think the way that I do both to myself and others in this thread. Even if you disagree with my conclusions I hope you can at least understand where I'm coming from. Honestly i'm more annoyed at a lot of the unqualified glowing praise I found online during my traditional 'post-show internet surf'.

I read a little bit more online about the show and saw that at the time of the original manga such a downer ending where the bad guy ostensibly won was pretty much unheard of in this style of manga, but its not the 70s anymore and things like Watchmen, Judge Dredd, Chinatown, and Devilman itself have all wrung this particular trope dry along with all of their imitators.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair Satan didn't win, that's sort of his realisation right at the end. He like everyone else lost, he's alone, his love is dead his demons are gone and then God makes him do it all again. Satan has lost at the end, because he couldn't understand compassion. Now he does, and so in a future loop Ryo/Satan and Akira can maybe win together, instead of lose apart.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

yeah i cringed pretty hard when you called DevilMan cliche', but I guess you educated yourself good for you

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

yeah i cringed pretty hard when you called DevilMan cliche', but I guess you educated yourself good for you

Its that weird thing that happened with Lord of the Rings where because 99.999% of all fantasy settings have shamelessly ripped it off it now feels generic to a modern audience.

I sill hate the show though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

While devil man is certainly a downer I don't think "nothing at all mattered" is really the point. In the end the struggles that the "good guys" went through didn't stop satan, but the point was that they were still valuable and worthwhile. Miki encouraging devilmen to come out and make themselves known was beautiful, and the courage those devilmen showed in announcing their presence was admirable, even as that announcement led to mobs immediately being formed on their doorsteps.

It's something where the value of that is meant to be more self evident I think though. From a standpoint of pure practicality, there wasn't any reason for them to do that and it actively led to their demise for no physical gain. But just because it wasn't the perfectly pragmatic choice doesn't mean that it wasn't worth doing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

While devil man is certainly a downer I don't think "nothing at all mattered" is really the point. In the end the struggles that the "good guys" went through didn't stop satan, but the point was that they were still valuable and worthwhile. Miki encouraging devilmen to come out and make themselves known was beautiful, and the courage those devilmen showed in announcing their presence was admirable, even as that announcement led to mobs immediately being formed on their doorsteps.

It's something where the value of that is meant to be more self evident I think though. From a standpoint of pure practicality, there wasn't any reason for them to do that and it actively led to their demise for no physical gain. But just because it wasn't the perfectly pragmatic choice doesn't mean that it wasn't worth doing.

The problem is when you get into the symbolism of the act, it gets even worse, The Mikis and the Rappers at that point ultimately represent the goodness of humanity and are immediately and unequivocally destroyed by everything awful about humanity as represented by the mob. There is no redemption, nor even the possibility of redemption, for anyone involved. The entire scene is just one long 'and here is why Satan/Ryo is right about humanity'. The whole scene is just a barrel of black pitch poured over any notion that humanity is worth saving.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You're mistaking power for correctness.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In what way? The demons say humans are all scum who deserve to die, the humans then act like scum who deserve to die, the hero calls the humans scum who deserve to die. I'm not seeing where power is entering into this.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I kind of agree with what that other poster is saying about how negative it all is.

The "correctness" is Satan's belief that in these dire circumstances humanity will fail.

There's hope that in these dire circumstances the goodness of humanity will shine through, and our characters do their best to embody that goodness. But Satan is proven to be correct (in a factual sense) that humanity will fail to live up to that goodness.

I've read a lot of the discussion here and I appreciate the difficult depiction of people doing the right thing. I appreciate the drama and beauty in having them fail. But ending with humanity literally wiped out and everyone we care about brutally killed kind of comes off as an unsatisfying edgy twist.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

In what way? The demons say humans are all scum who deserve to die, the humans then act like scum who deserve to die, the hero calls the humans scum who deserve to die. I'm not seeing where power is entering into this.

The humans who are scum that deserve to die killed all the humans who are not scum and did not deserve to die. Those humans who are not scum existed, were beautiful and courageous in the face of utter annihilation, and that is what made them the heroes. They lost, but the fact that they fought against the scum and were good people despite their defeat being assured makes their efforts more valuable, not less, because they managed to be good people even though there was no logical reason to. Imagine how humanity would have acted if being a good person had more practical benefits, if good people still exist when there's no reason for them to be good

Tuxedo catfish made an excellent post earlier in the thread that I'm mostly reiterating, lemme find it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

okay so there are two points to the Book of Job

one is that the reasons for suffering and the universe being the way it is are ultimately beyond our comprehension because we simply don't have the perspective to get the big picture

the other is that Job persists in criticizing God even while maintaining his faith; his idiot friends insist that bad things only happen to those who deserve them and that Job must have hosed up somehow to earn God's wrath, but God comes down and explicitly says they're wrong, that Job was correct in saying that pain and suffering are inflicted even on the innocent, and that he committed no blasphemy by complaining about this, but nonetheless he's just a mortal dude and see point #1

it's a fantastic piece of literature and an important cultural touchstone for Jews and Christians with respect to reconciling faith in God with the reality of injustice and suffering (also, notably, Job lives a long, healthy, and happy life by the end)

Devilman Crybaby deals with similar themes except that instead of attempting to apologize for God's behavior, it's more about apologizing for mankind's; we're basically trapped in a situation where cruelty and power and hunger is the easy way out, where it's only natural to live like a beast, but some people choose not to anyways -- basically prompting the question "if the scale we were measured on was already this biased towards selfishness and evil, what does it say about human nature that any of us managed to be good at all?"

to make that point effectively it kind of has to end with "and then everyone dies" -- because the idea is that doing the right thing even if it does make you weak, even if it kills you, is noble and beautiful and gently caress God and nature for creating such an insidious acid test for us in the first place

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/bougiegay/status/951591453465202688

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
pretend i posted ryo and satan for mine

i keep wanting to write lucifer instead of satan because crybaby's satan isn't very biblical satan

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

ryo and satan

:same:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The show full of very gay goals. But I’m particular to Miko.

It’s the eight legs and powerful mandibles intensity you see

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I, too, want to be the Sportswear Demoness

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yo I just want to reiterate that this show had an absolutely incredible soundtrack

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nina posted:

The show full of very gay goals. But I’m particular to Miko.

It’s the eight legs and powerful mandibles intensity you see

Maybe more
Imagine

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair Satan didn't win, that's sort of his realisation right at the end. He like everyone else lost, he's alone, his love is dead his demons are gone and then God makes him do it all again. Satan has lost at the end, because he couldn't understand compassion. Now he does, and so in a future loop Ryo/Satan and Akira can maybe win together, instead of lose apart.

I'm aware that Devilman Lady (which I will never, ever read) plays with breaking the timeloop to an extent, but the implication at the end of Crybaby is that God deliberately waits for Satan to suffer the pain of revelation right before He pulls the trigger on the world and forces him to do it all again. Crybaby says very little about God's role or motivations, which presents Him in the Old-Testament sense as an ineffable cosmic force that accounts for all possibilities within its matrix. There's no "winning" against something like that.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://twitter.com/spiffable/status/963958788045856769

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Even Satan, an absolute dick who cared for nothing except his goals, realized he was being an rear end in a top hat and saw the error of his ways at the very end. It's a hopeful ending, not because any of the characters themselves had a happy ending, but because Ryo changed to Akira's way of thinking.

To put it in very simplistic terms: The good guys lost, but they still had the moral victory. Yes, everyone is dead, but at the very end love is still stronger than hate. Think of it not as nihilism but as a cautionary tale.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

AnEdgelord posted:

Despite my initial statements, I don't mind if people disagree with my take on the show. Part of the reason i'm even in this thread is to work backwards from the feeling of disappointment and annoyance I felt at the end of the series, I feel like I've done that and I have made clear why I think the way that I do both to myself and others in this thread. Even if you disagree with my conclusions I hope you can at least understand where I'm coming from. Honestly i'm more annoyed at a lot of the unqualified glowing praise I found online during my traditional 'post-show internet surf'.

I read a little bit more online about the show and saw that at the time of the original manga such a downer ending where the bad guy ostensibly won was pretty much unheard of in this style of manga, but its not the 70s anymore and things like Watchmen, Judge Dredd, Chinatown, and Devilman itself have all wrung this particular trope dry along with all of their imitators.

Nah, you're good. I'm honestly happy to be having this conversation in this thread rather than the same one that's been repeated ad nauseam.

I don't actually have anything to add right now since my feelings have been already described more eloquently by several different people in the last few posts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

Even Satan, an absolute dick who cared for nothing except his goals, realized he was being an rear end in a top hat and saw the error of his ways at the very end. It's a hopeful ending, not because any of the characters themselves had a happy ending, but because Ryo changed to Akira's way of thinking.

To put it in very simplistic terms: The good guys lost, but they still had the moral victory. Yes, everyone is dead, but at the very end love is still stronger than hate. Think of it not as nihilism but as a cautionary tale.

And then the whole thing is reset by God, who at best is totally divorced from the notions of love and hate shown by humanity and at worst is using the entire planet as an eternally recurring punishment chamber for Satan out of sheer vindictiveness.

The presentation of Devilman's themes was poor enough so that I don't really care whether people ultimately see it as hopeful or not, but its attempts at optimism are weak at best.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Oxxidation posted:

And then the whole thing is reset by God, who at best is totally divorced from the notions of love and hate shown by humanity and at worst is using the entire planet as an eternally recurring punishment chamber for Satan out of sheer vindictiveness.

The presentation of Devilman's themes was poor enough so that I don't really care whether people ultimately see it as hopeful or not, but its attempts at optimism are weak at best.

Except it's not a true reset, there are now 2 moons above Earth, which suggests for all that it's a looping punishment things will change. Also Devilman is not Optimistic, if anything it's somewhat pessimistic, what it is is a) hopeful, and b) against it's own narcissistic state. The people who let themselves become monsters are admonished by the text constantly, Satan himself realises his own philosophy is kind of hosed up at the end. That's the point, the story may not have a happy ending and everyone may die, but those who became monsters were admonished, and those who didn't end up mourned by those who survived.

It's not stating things will be okay, it is stating that you can either make things better or worse, and basically says making things worse makes you as much a monster as any demon.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Except it's not a true reset, there are now 2 moons above Earth, which suggests for all that it's a looping punishment things will change. Also Devilman is not Optimistic, if anything it's somewhat pessimistic, what it is is a) hopeful, and b) against it's own narcissistic state. The people who let themselves become monsters are admonished by the text constantly, Satan himself realises his own philosophy is kind of hosed up at the end. That's the point, the story may not have a happy ending and everyone may die, but those who became monsters were admonished, and those who didn't end up mourned by those who survived.

It's not stating things will be okay, it is stating that you can either make things better or worse, and basically says making things worse makes you as much a monster as any demon.

I viewed the moons more as cosmic tally marks than as a sign that anything is ever going to break the loop. I guess that eventually space might get so crowded that tidal fluctuations will cause some unexpected knock-on effects or something.

Introducing God into a story the way Devilman does raises thorny questions of free will that can neuter any larger moral point you're trying to make. No one can make anything change for the better because all of their actions are part of an unbroken loop. Humans are weak creatures of appetite dominated by those with stronger instincts, who are in turn dominated by God, who is so high above all things so as to be unknowable and impossible to appeal to. Crybaby had some neat bits but the overall thrust of the story is that everything's doomed to end catastrophically regardless of our intentions, and I can just look at my news feed for the day if I needed a refresher on that point.

It's telling that nearly everything that interested me about the show turned out to be an original addition from Yuasa. As discussed earlier, most of Nagai's own material has been iterated upon for the better at this point.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The book of Job is attempting to offer an explanation of 'The Problem of Evil' which itself is a philosophical problem that asks how an omnipotent, omniscient, and benevolent deity could allow evil to exist in the world. Ultimately the scope of that particular discussion is far beyond an anime discussion thread on a dead gay comedy forum, but the gist is that I don't buy the explanation of the book of job nor do I buy into the portrayal of humanity as something fundamentally predisposed towards evil (or good for that matter but this again drifts into a discussion far beyond the scope of this thread). I have more sympathy with things like Gnostic Christianity, which answers the problem of evil by stating "God aka The Demiurge is not only not benevolent but is an actively evil force in the universe which it created as little more than a spiritual prison for its own self-aggrandizement", they further expand that the entire point of existence is to transcend this level of reality into the next through knowledge or enlightenment also known as Gnosis. If you don't achieve Gnosis you remain trapped in this level of existence and are reincarnated into a new body, to suffer anew.

I don't literally believe that of course, nor do I think that the creators of this show knowingly drew upon Gnostic ideas during the creation of Devilman, but ultimately I think it is an effective lens to show what I'm talking about (not to mention the perpetually looping hell that everyone is trapped in is a little to overtly Gnostic to ignore the comparison even if the creators didn't realize it). The position of the demons in the show is that humanity is a bunch of scum that are incapable of achieving Gnosis and because of that deserve to be wiped out, there are a few humans that are shown to be in the process of obtaining Gnosis and beginning to transcend the cycle, but (and this is crucial) their attempts at Gnosis are ultimately doomed because the prison is too effective, their fellow humans ultimately destroy them for the attempt and by all accounts the cycle continues. In the Gnositic universe this failure to transcend is neither noble nor laudable, it is simply another failure and another cycle that is doomed to be repeated. That this cycle has repeated several times basically reinforces the idea that THERE IS NO WAY OUT, no transcendence, no redemption, no nothing.

Now some people may say 'but there were signs that Gnosis may be achieved in the future'. If i'm honest I didn't get that at all from the show, the perpetual cycles seemed like something that has happened again and again and again with no sign of abating, given that the reset is triggered by Satan mourning Akira its clear that this is not the first time that such a thing has happened, the details may change slightly with the two moon but ultimately there is no escape.

That there is no escape is why I hated the show, because to create a universe that is not only perverse and evil but is doomed to be perverse and evil with no hope of escape is way past the event horizon of how dark something can be before it stops being enjoyable.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well things would have gone differently if SATAN WOULD JUST TAKE THE GATDAM BATON

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well things would have gone differently if SATAN WOULD JUST TAKE THE GATDAM BATON

He would have but he was too busy trying to be a top

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

from Lady

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gnostic Nagai

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ok I guess they probably did draw upon Gnostic ideas then

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think the takeaway from what happened to miki is "this was a failure"

Seems to me more like "miki was a success, if only there were more mikis"

"This was all pointless" isn't really a statement made by the show's dramatic framing, events are clearly important and impactful so I think any point the show is making about these events would consider these events to be significant

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Ultimately the scope of that particular discussion is far beyond an anime discussion thread on a dead gay comedy forum,

lol

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't think the takeaway from what happened to miki is "this was a failure"

Seems to me more like "miki was a success, if only there were more mikis"

"This was all pointless" isn't really a statement made by the show's dramatic framing, events are clearly important and impactful so I think any point the show is making about these events would consider these events to be significant

The ending of that scene is a bunch of people parading around with dismembered pieces of miki's body on sticks. This is the same kind of framing G.R.R.M. used in ASOIAF after the Red Wedding where Rob's body was sewn to his wolf's head and paraded around. The kind of message that framing sends is of the character getting thoroughly and completely owned. That both scenes are the culmination of a naive character being swallowed up by the cruelty of the world is no coincidence.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sounds like he's saying that he's just too smart for us. :shrug: I wish I wuz

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Sounds like he's saying that he's just too smart for us. :shrug: I wish I wuz

Hardly, I just figured that I would spare the thread an unrelated discussion that has little to do with the topic at hand. If you want to discuss philosophy and the nature of theistic faith don't let me stop you.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

don't talk about faith and philosphy in this show that has satan and god and many conflicting ideologies

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Aurora posted:

don't talk about faith and philosphy in this show that has satan and god and many conflicting ideologies

Ok fine I was trying to keep it brief and didn't want to add three extra paragraphs on to discuss moral philosophy since it wasn't related to my central point and I wanted to try to keep it brief.

Sue me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

personally i think it's fine to discuss thoughts you have on a series even if i may disagree with them

• Locked thread