Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fruit on the bottom posted:

How do you feel about rock and Marty?
Hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ausmund posted:

Hate it.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Caufman posted:

I like pork.

For real, the pig is delicious. It also deserves to be eaten because that fucker would eat you if it had the chance.

On that note, even the best beef hot dogs are universally more greasy and shittier than even the cheapest pork/chicken/?/turkey/mafioso hot dog out there.

Quiet Feet has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Feb 15, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

As long as you don't cook them over medium.

Human flesh would have to be well done so you don't get parasites and stuff.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Robin Williams was either a terrible actor or lazy. Even among the movies he did agreed to be good, he's the same character he played in his standup; coked out, irresponsible, making irrelevant jokes and mugging at the worst times. Even in the so-called dramatic turns. A guy like Jim Carrey can do a dramatic movie and pull it off without reminding me that he did a routine where his rear end in a top hat talked. Robin Williams is always a second from a Yakov Smirnoff impersonation.

I'll give him Jumanji though. Funny how the one time he's convincing me, he's playing the extremely-Robin Williams role of a grown man whose mental development stopped at age ten.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Alvarez IV posted:

Robin Williams was either a terrible actor or lazy. Even among the movies he did agreed to be good, he's the same character he played in his standup; coked out, irresponsible, making irrelevant jokes and mugging at the worst times. Even in the so-called dramatic turns. A guy like Jim Carrey can do a dramatic movie and pull it off without reminding me that he did a routine where his rear end in a top hat talked. Robin Williams is always a second from a Yakov Smirnoff impersonation.

I'll give him Jumanji though. Funny how the one time he's convincing me, he's playing the extremely-Robin Williams role of a grown man whose mental development stopped at age ten.

Gonna run with Jumanji to make that point when there's literally a movie where he plays a 10 year old?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sassassin posted:

Gross. Guess I’m not eating human then.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Joey Freshwater posted:

Gonna run with Jumanji to make that point when there's literally a movie where he plays a 10 year old?

Common misconception, but Patch Adams was a grown man.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Common misconception, but Patch Adams was a grown man.

I was talking about Jack! Gosh!

Speaking of Patch Adams though apparently the real dude hated the film.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Joey Freshwater posted:

"Jack" was unambiguously poo poo, but this is the unpopular opinion thread and thinking that it's poo poo isn't unpopular.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He's good in One Hour Photo and Insomnia.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The best Robin Williams scene was in Finding Forester when he said "Punch the keys for god's sake! You're the man now dog!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's that one movie where his eyes bleed

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I actually agree with the sentiment of that list though I don't have experience with most of the properties.

Breaking Bad's ending is actually the worst thing about the show. The whole show is weakened by the fact that in the end the villainous sociopath more or less accomplishes every goal he sets out to do. I don't think that's actually a particularly unpopular opinion because I've seen plenty of people say Better Call Saul is a better show because it has all the same quality as Breaking Bad but follows a more realistic character/plot.

I actually like Rick and Morty but I think it's a lot funnier than it has any right to be for what it is.

No one will ever convince me to give the Souls games a shot because I've always been a huge bullet hell fan and the fact that people talk about how Souls games are a return to "classic difficulty" that doesn't exist elsewhere has completely turned me off of them.

My own opinion on popular media: I loving love the ideas presented in Black Mirror but feel like the execution is never that good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

My own opinion on popular media: I loving love the ideas presented in Black Mirror but feel like the execution is never that good.
I've grown to hate Black Mirror but I know I'm being unfair.

And Robin Williams was really good in Good Wil Hunting. That movie is pure butterscotch, but it's well-made butterscotch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Better Call Saul is boring. It's one of the rare occurrences where something is worse than the sum of it's parts. It peaked it's first season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I've grown to hate Black Mirror but I know I'm being unfair.

And Robin Williams was really good in Good Wil Hunting. That movie is pure butterscotch, but it's well-made butterscotch.

No, there’s only 4 good episodes of Black Mirror and anyone who thinks otherwise are the crazy ones.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was talking about Jack! Gosh!

Speaking of Patch Adams though apparently the real dude hated the film.

:thejoke:

Every opinion about Breaking Bad in this thread is wrong, including this one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aphrodite posted:

No, there’s only 4 good episodes of Black Mirror and anyone who thinks otherwise are the crazy ones.

1. White Christmas
2. 15 MM
3. San Junipero
4. Hang the DJ???

The rest are boring or just remixes of other Black Mirror stories

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Better Call Saul is boring. It's one of the rare occurrences where something is worse than the sum of it's parts. It peaked it's first season.

holy bad opinion

Ultima66 posted:

No one will ever convince me to give the Souls games a shot because I've always been a huge bullet hell fan and the fact that people talk about how Souls games are a return to "classic difficulty" that doesn't exist elsewhere has completely turned me off of them.

Yeah agreed. I'll probably spend too many hours playing video games till I die, but I do not give a poo poo about classic hardcore complex difficulty for elite players

I am not 13 anymore and I just cannot spend that much time playing or studying video game strategy. I like a bit of challenge but I do not want multiple youtube guides and several in-game deaths to be required before I can keep playing

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Feb 15, 2018

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah agreed. I'll probably spend too many hours playing video games till I die, but I do not give a poo poo about classic hardcore complex difficulty for elite players

I am not 13 anymore and I just cannot spend that much time playing or studying video game strategy. I like a bit of challenge but I do not want multiple youtube guides and several in-game deaths to be required before I can keep playing

You don't need YouTube guides, but yeah you'll get a lot of in-game deaths. It's difficult in the sense that you're supposed to play it without knowing what's coming next, and having to earn knowledge is a victory in and of itself. Guides to min-max or speedrun or play the drat thing with a Guitar Hero controller are beside the point.

That having been said, yeah it's definitely too much of a time investment if you're over 18 and moderately busy. It's the same reason I haven't even bothered with The Witcher 3, but still find the pick-up-and-play aspect of Overwatch and Guild Wars 2 manageable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Unrelated: people who treat addiction as a moral failure are loving poo poo.

First of all, addiction is a medical condition and inherently irrational. Your brain gets hosed and literally screams that your substance of choice is as necessary as food, water, and air. You cannot just decide to stop anymore than you can decide to stop eating.

Secondly, it is a medical condition, and withdrawal can kill. There should be no shame in showing up to an ER, declaring what you're on, and asking to be professionally medicated and monitored through the critical period, possibly with further prescriptions and checkups as you get past acute detox. (also this should not cost 20,000 dollars but that's a whole nother post)

Thirdly, it is a medical condition, and it is not some easy way out. Being an addict loving sucks and no one chooses it. It is not an easy, lazy life, it is the loving opposite.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Goat is the tastiest meat that you can still easily buy.

sassassin posted:

No, no. Try this: Eat humans raw - free parasites inside! And stuff!

Quiet Feet posted:

For real, the pig is delicious. It also deserves to be eaten because that fucker would eat you if it had the chance.

Nothing deserves to be eaten more or less, not even the vegetables, not even the vegetative. They are consumed by me simply because life consumes life, as I will be totally consumed some day, too.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
My mistake, more than all other things, your mums' fannies deserve to be eaten.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

First of all, addiction is a medical condition and inherently irrational. Your brain gets hosed and literally screams that your substance of choice is as necessary as food, water, and air. You cannot just decide to stop anymore than you can decide to stop eating.

Secondly, it is a medical condition, and withdrawal can kill. There should be no shame in showing up to an ER, declaring what you're on, and asking to be professionally medicated and monitored through the critical period, possibly with further prescriptions and checkups as you get past acute detox. (also this should not cost 20,000 dollars but that's a whole nother post)

Thirdly, it is a medical condition, and it is not some easy way out. Being an addict loving sucks and no one chooses it. It is not an easy, lazy life, it is the loving opposite.

I don't disagree with you but the notion of what "addiction" is in society has gone beyond a sheer medical definition. Every day I see people post on Facebook about their coffee "addiction", we hear about celebrities going to rehab for "sex addiction", hell even people claiming to be addicted to chocolate or other sweets. The word has grown beyond its strict medical definition to also be used as shorthand for "something I like doing in excess but know I shouldn't", so it's easy for people to get the medical aspect confused with the moral failing of consuming too much whatever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

King of Foolians posted:

Every day I see people post on Facebook about their coffee "addiction"
Caffeine use is habit-forming and caffeine withdrawal is a real thing that a lot of people experience.

It might not meet the strict medical definition of addiction but pretending that it's completely a moral thing with no medical basis is wrong.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Nobody dies of caffeine withdrawal though. Plus even among the "addicted" its more of a habit than something their brain thinks it desperately needs. Like you'll never see someone pawn their parents television or prostitute themselves out just to fund their coffee habit. Part of it is due to the price and legality but considering how mild the withdrawal is compared to something like alcohol withdrawal, most people would just stop using caffeine if it became illegal.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

King of Foolians posted:

I don't disagree with you but the notion of what "addiction" is in society has gone beyond a sheer medical definition. Every day I see people post on Facebook about their coffee "addiction", we hear about celebrities going to rehab for "sex addiction", hell even people claiming to be addicted to chocolate or other sweets. The word has grown beyond its strict medical definition to also be used as shorthand for "something I like doing in excess but know I shouldn't", so it's easy for people to get the medical aspect confused with the moral failing of consuming too much whatever.

there are 3 orders of magnitude in variation in alcohol consumption between societies

one society (russia) can literally consume 1000x as much alcohol as another (pakistan)

so it's a disease of societies. bigger variation in other drugs (how many alaskans chew qat or do captagon? how many mauritians take nbomes?)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Caffeine use is habit-forming and caffeine withdrawal is a real thing that a lot of people experience.

It might not meet the strict medical definition of addiction but pretending that it's completely a moral thing with no medical basis is wrong.

Yeah caffeine habit/withdrawal is a thing but like, I've done both caffeine withdrawal and alcohol withdrawal and well

One is headaches and tinitis for a few days

One is uncontrollable shakes, paranoia, anxiety, tachycardia, hallucination, and seizures, and often requires hospitalization to make sure that you don't die

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

while i largely agree there should be more sympathy & social support for addicts whether in the emergency room or just in general, but it's not a sentiment that should be born out eliminating the idea of people, even addicts, as decision making agents imho

like i don't think there's a single rehabilitation program on earth that tells its patients worry not, for you were just a helpless reed blown about by the invincible winds of the dependency nor do they try to morally absolve people of any personal failings they may have been involved with while in the deepest throes of addiction, literally every single program i know of tries to reinforce the patient's ability to reassert control over their own lives as an active participant and encourages them to make amends to the people they may have harmed while making unfortunate decisions in the single-mindeded pursuit of either their own self-gratification, however immense, or the avoidance of the scourge of withdrawal, depending on the stage of chemical dependency, acknowledging even addicts have a moral obligation to the people around them is a step in avoiding substance abuse in the future - essentially all programs will teach that the end of state of addiction was the cumulative result of a number of life decisions made by the patient beforehand even tho total chemical dependency is a critical health condition; programs don't teach that so its care workers can hold a self-righteous contempt over patients but to help patients realize they need to make better decisions in the future and what things to avoid because ultimately it will be the patient and whatever decisions they do make at home in the future that'll be the determinant of if they quit for good or not

i guess what i'm saying is that it's not wrong to think of addiction as the result of failures in decision-making, it's even therapeutic in the right environment, but other people who use that as slim justification so they can be lovely to addicts, whether in active discrimination or in neglect of their issues, are probably just assholes to begin with

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Isn't one of the first things you have to do in AA to admit you are powerless over your addiction?

Anyway, I definitely agree the addict isn't entirely blameless, especially if they know their family has a history like with alcoholism. Nobody is born an alcoholic, but if you start drinking knowing you probably will get addicted to it if you aren't extremely careful, then yeah that part is on you. Once you are addicted though, it starts to be less under your control. In the end it will still require your own conscious decision to stop, but most people can't come to that decision on their own while addicted and need some outside motivation - whether that's AA, a friend/their kid telling them to get their poo poo together, something has to override the addiction and become more important than the good feelings that come with whatever drug they are hooked on.

So in summary I think it's right in treatment to focus on the fact that he process of getting addicted was a result of their bad decision making - not to make them feel like a bad person because they aren't necessarily, but to understand what made them make those choices. It's kind of tricky because yes the addicted person is responsible for what they did while addicted (hence why making amends is a big part of recovery), but in personal experience if you make it all about how they're a bad degenerate who should have known better you risk driving them even deeper into it because they think "well my family doesn't even like me so why bother". Like on one hand you can't coddle them and say it was all the liquor or whatever because it wasn't, but on the other I think you have to keep more harsh criticisms restrained, at least in the early phases where they are still at a large risk of relapse.

standard disclaimer of not being a doctor and only speaking from personal experience with addicts/addiction.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

it's more an argument against thinking addicts aren't decision-making agents whatsoever than it is denying that their decision making hasn't been compromised in some way by abnormal reward feedback loops/chemical dependency which can be hard to understand if you haven't suffered from it (i haven't but i know people that have); if you can accept both statements as being true then you can develop treatment plans that acknowledge that a patient's future decision making will involve the premise that consuming certain substances will be uniquely desirable to them in a way that seems irrational to outsiders and that they'll have to work around that knowledge to not make the same mistakes in the future

step 2 of AA btw is essentially a refutation of step 1 if you're an atheist/agnostic and step 3 already invokes changes in personal decision-making as being the key to turning over a new leaf, i do not know of any program that seriously encourages addicts to think of themselves as totally helpless when all is said and done

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Isn't one of the first things you have to do in AA to admit you are powerless over your addiction?

Anyway, I definitely agree the addict isn't entirely blameless, especially if they know their family has a history like with alcoholism. Nobody is born an alcoholic, but if you start drinking knowing you probably will get addicted to it if you aren't extremely careful, then yeah that part is on you. Once you are addicted though, it starts to be less under your control. In the end it will still require your own conscious decision to stop, but most people can't come to that decision on their own while addicted and need some outside motivation - whether that's AA, a friend/their kid telling them to get their poo poo together, something has to override the addiction and become more important than the good feelings that come with whatever drug they are hooked on.

So in summary I think it's right in treatment to focus on the fact that he process of getting addicted was a result of their bad decision making - not to make them feel like a bad person because they aren't necessarily, but to understand what made them make those choices. It's kind of tricky because yes the addicted person is responsible for what they did while addicted (hence why making amends is a big part of recovery), but in personal experience if you make it all about how they're a bad degenerate who should have known better you risk driving them even deeper into it because they think "well my family doesn't even like me so why bother". Like on one hand you can't coddle them and say it was all the liquor or whatever because it wasn't, but on the other I think you have to keep more harsh criticisms restrained, at least in the early phases where they are still at a large risk of relapse.

standard disclaimer of not being a doctor and only speaking from personal experience with addicts/addiction.

AA is structured more like a cult than a treatment program, fostering dependence is part of that

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I wasn't defending AA, I was just under the apparently mistaken impression that surrendering responsibility for your addiction and accepting that only god or whatever can help you was kind of their main thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

hard counter posted:

like i don't think there's a single rehabilitation program on earth that tells its patients worry not, for you were just a helpless reed blown about by the invincible winds of the dependency nor do they try to morally absolve people of any personal failings they may have been involved with while in the deepest throes of addiction, literally every single program i know of tries to reinforce the patient's ability to reassert control over their own lives as an active participant and encourages them to make amends to the people they may have harmed while making unfortunate decisions in the single-mindeded pursuit of either their own self-gratification, however immense, or the avoidance of the scourge of withdrawal, depending on the stage of chemical dependency, acknowledging even addicts have a moral obligation to the people around them is a step in avoiding substance abuse in the future - essentially all programs will teach that the end of state of addiction was the cumulative result of a number of life decisions made by the patient beforehand even tho total chemical dependency is a critical health condition; programs don't teach that so its care workers can hold a self-righteous contempt over patients but to help patients realize they need to make better decisions in the future and what things to avoid because ultimately it will be the patient and whatever decisions they do make at home in the future that'll be the determinant of if they quit for good or not
While I largely agree with your point my PHUO is that you should use more punctuation because reading that as a single run-on sentence is really hard. :)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I wasn't defending AA, I was just under the apparently mistaken impression that surrendering responsibility for your addiction and accepting that only god or whatever can help you was kind of their main thing.

AA works great for some people and not at all for others. The problem is that society tends to view it as a one-size-fits-all treatment for everyone, which that's only true in about 1/3 of cases.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Only thing I’m addicted to is a cold beer!

Also heroin

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AA works great for some people and not at all for others. The problem is that society tends to view it as a one-size-fits-all treatment for everyone, which that's only true in about 1/3 of cases.

in retrospect, Dr Drew gave out some pretty bad advice on loveline and if you listen to him now it seems like he may have been a hack this whole time

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Killmonger is the real hero of Black Panther and anyone who roots for T'Challa is a bootlicking toadie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

While I largely agree with your point my PHUO is that you should use more punctuation because reading that as a single run-on sentence is really hard. :)

when gbs 1.0 fell it took with it punctuation and capital letters and i'm glad of it