Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Does a corexy design work better/faster than the other?

I know I see "UP TO 150MMS PRINTING ABILITY!" tossed around, which I guess that it's theoretically possible, but it's gonna print spaghetti on any i3 design I see.

Always wondered what the main diff in quality was between the 2.

Yeah if you can get some good adhesion you’re going to have much lower z resonance in CoreXY.

I think the benefit of the i3 design is material flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I decided to pick up a Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer, this one to be exact: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01FL49VZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will be my first time using a 3D printer. Has anyone here set this one up before? Any tips or gotchas I should know about? My plan for this specifically is to print small DnD miniatures and I'm fully prepared for some tinkering.
The Cura profiles are in the product description of Monoprice's website, this is the v2 one.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15365

direct link:
https://downloads.monoprice.com/files/software/15365_Software_171026.zip

If you use Cura I would slow it down a little (like 5%), make sure the fan starts on the inital layer, set the first layer pattern to [0,90], and set the bed to 55 degrees. These tweaks really helped get my prints to stick better. Other than that it's been great for me to learn on.
(also FYI Cura hides a lot of settings by default, you can make them visible under your preferences if you can't find the above stuff)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Finished up these moon bookends:

They work pretty good and you can get them here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2787594

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
Wire management on this printer is a pain. Nothing is quite the right length to make clean bundles. I'm planning to get a 32 bit control board and will finalize wire lengths when I have that in an enclosure. I'm also planning to enclose the printer and make it a heated chamber capable of ~100c. That leads me to think about stepper motor cooling. Has anyone built a printer for high temp materials and if so, how did you deal with cooling the steppers? I'm thinking water cooling parts taken from PC builds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

asmasm fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 9, 2018

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
finish your welds wtf

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
I have a few inches of finish weld on each joint. The cart can easily support over 100lbs and will only be holding maybe 25lb. The outside butt joint weld on square tube like this is easy to overheat since its two edges- With one of those edges 90 degrees it's a pain to place the bead consistently and in my case there is no reason to weld it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Still.

What type of machine are you using? that would have been trivial to finish with a small TIG.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
It's mig. The cart is massively over built for the use. There is no reason to throw more heat into it or weld joints that are likely to be ugly. The main 1*2 tubes have a 1" flare bevel on the bottom and 2" of vertical uphill on the insides.

asmasm fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 11, 2018

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Love finding little guys like this to print out.

Low poly Yoshi!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hey guys, I think I'm having issues with a dying hotend fan, constant jamming and prints that fail 10 minutes in. Gets worse the more I tinker in a session.

Does this sound right for heat creep?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I was checking what was in the latest Prusa alpha version of Slic3r to see if they had implemented the ironing (neosanding) function of Cura. I was a little disappointed that they hadn't, so I looked a little more closely at what it would take to implement. Apparently the strategy is to just lay down a bunch of thin sub-nozzle-width extrusions on the top layer? Well we can just tell Slic3r to do that. I printed a couple quick test pieces, 0.6mm nozzle, 15% rectilinear infill, 0.24mm layer height, 3 top solid layers. Left is my standard 0.63mm top layer at 80% speed, right is 0.36mm at 160% speed.

The picture and contrast doesn't quite do it justice, it looks a heck of a lot better to me despite taking roughly the same amount of time to print (would be the same apart from acceleration). I'd recommend anyone running Slic3r give it a try. Just set Advanced -> Top solid infill to 60% of your nozzle width (NOT "60%" because that would be 60% of layer height) and Speed -> Top solid infill roughly twice what it was to compensate for doubling up on extrusion passes.

EDIT: Also WHEEEEEEEEEE

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 11, 2018

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Interesting. I should play with that. I should also get a fatter nozzle, since almost all my of 0.4mm nozzle prints are 0.2mm layer height anyway.

By the way, I bought that Anycubic i3 someone here suggested. For $400 I think it's a great printer. My only major complaints are: the textured glass surface is glued down, so it's not swappable; and there's an absurdly loud fan somewhere in the base assembly.

Naturally I have minor complaints too: the part cooling fan is on the left, so you have to orient pieces with the detailed side on the left when you're slicing. The steppers are on the loud side. There's a large metal shroud around the hotend that makes the fan noise louder than it should be. It's made of bent plate steel instead of 2020. You can't turn off the power-on/USB-connect/touchscreen beeps. There's a lovely picture of a fake Gundam on the faceplate. Things like that.

Prints PLA and PETG way better and faster and more dependably than I thought possible after using the Monoprice, though. I've only racked up two failed prints out of like 30, both PETG bed adhesion issues. Hotter bed fixed it. This surface really does eject prints when it's cool.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

cephalopods posted:

Interesting. I should play with that. I should also get a fatter nozzle, since almost all my of 0.4mm nozzle prints are 0.2mm layer height anyway.

Highly recommend, I swapped out to a 0.6 and dropped down to 2 external perimeters and I barely notice the loss in detail.

For its tendency to clog less and it's printing speed it really should be what newbies start with instead of 0.4

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Jestery posted:

Highly recommend, I swapped out to a 0.6 and dropped down to 2 external perimeters and I barely notice the loss in detail.
Too right. I started with a 0.5mm nozzle on my original printer then when I build my C-Bot I used a E3DV6 that came with a 0.4mm nozzle and could not stand it. The printer moves 30% faster but somehow prints take roughly the same amount of time? What is this bullshittery! I switched it out for a volcano with a 0.6mm. I print a lot of structural stuff, like cases and mounts and functional bits so I don't notice a lack of detail because I'm never printing tchotchke.

I also do 2x 0.63mm perimeters and my standard vertical "wall" is 2.40mm which is mega-sturdy. The new Prusa Edition Slic3r alpha tells me that it should be 2.38mm though, which is a nice new feature they have where it calculates for you the mystery math of how 0.63mm * 4 is not equal to 2.48mm. I'd try doing 3 total perimeter walls but then I'd have to turn on gap fill, which is great except there's no option like the Simplify3D options that throws out segments smaller than X, so the end of every layer seems to be the nozzle running all over the place trying to fill 0.1mm gaps. There's no option in Slic3r for this is there?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Damnit... went to go print something on my Rostock V2, it started printing about 3 inches above the print bed. Discovered that somehow most of the eeprom settings where completely invalid or gone entirely, like the eeprom failed. 2nd time this has happened within a year.

Ran the program to wipe the eeprom, ran auto-cal (thank you HE280 hotend!), and PID tune again. Saved and appears fine so far..

Has anyone heard of the EEPROM on Rambo boards just up and failing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Pillbug
Remix'ed a design for a wheel cap for my Audi:

Redesigned the clips and adjusted the sizing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2792469

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Printing this ridiculous thing right now, it's a stand for my girlfriend's makeup mirror. 8" in diameter at the base and also just about 8" tall. I whipped it up in about 6 minutes and didn't pay much attention to the overall resolution, as you can see...but she already likes it better than the cardboard box she's currently using, so I'll count it as a win.

Note to self: revisit accel/jerk settings after flashing new firmware.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
I'm still waiting on some sheet metal to finish my enclosure but I wanted to print some polycarbonate pieces to fix the x5s belt paths. This stabilized at 50c:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I love hacky approximations to get it printing

Im suffering from heat creep at the moment and I printed a new fan duct at 0.6 with a 0.8 nozzle just so the feed rate was high enough that the filament wouldn't have time to heat up.

Worked well enough untill a replacement fan comes

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Speaking of sketchy heated enclosures, I've been using one of these modules to control the temperature of my enclosure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVD0zkZTe00

Search for "W1209" on your Chinese eCommerce site of choice. You can power it from the printer's 12 volt supply, if your printer is 12 volts. Using a separate relay of known quality... is a good idea that I should probably do at some point...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Weird question, but I'm trying to update my Octopi and well, it's being weird. I plugged it in after I hadn't used it in probably 2 years, and it was running incredibly slow.

I popped out the sd card, put it in a reader and plugged it into the computer, and now it's showing 3 different partitions on a 32 gig card, one of which is 2.2tb.

Has anyone else had something weird happen like this or has my card just poo poo itself somehow?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm looking to print with layer height >1 mm

Can anyone give me a brief run down on how to do so?

I really just want a giant boat

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Weird question, but I'm trying to update my Octopi and well, it's being weird. I plugged it in after I hadn't used it in probably 2 years, and it was running incredibly slow.

I popped out the sd card, put it in a reader and plugged it into the computer, and now it's showing 3 different partitions on a 32 gig card, one of which is 2.2tb.

Has anyone else had something weird happen like this or has my card just poo poo itself somehow?

Honestly, just try a new SD card. It did probably poo poo itself.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

has my card just poo poo itself somehow?

Yup, bit rot. SD cards have a fairly low retention period, especially if they've had a lot of write cycles already. You can very likely just format it and write new data but with what they cost these days I'd just get a new one.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
So.. My old boss texted me out of the blue on Tuesday and gave me their old Makerbot Z18. (They're using a bunch of Raise3D in their service bureau now.) It's not a good quality printer of course (never buy MakerBot), but if I can get it at least sort of working I'd be satisfied.

I got it home, fired up a test print:

Yikes. Opened up the lid - check out the weird movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spIZhM8V6kY

I want to tighten the Y-axis belts I guess, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to do it. There's no technical documentation, no teardowns, no maintenance videos.. I found one video about replacing a pulley that sort of mentions a front bolt to loosen/tighten, but doesn't actually show interactions with it. I've seen some mention of folks removing the whole front of the case, but again to no picture or video documentation.

Has anyone here ever tightened the y-axis belts on a MakerBot Z18 or know of any technical resources?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Is one of the pulleys on the cross machine rods slipping? That's almost what it looks like.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
New 32gb card ordered from walmart. It's about the same price as it'd be from amazon and I can pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks guys. Gonna try to get octoprint running tomorrow so I can stop having to run from room to room when I'm printing these god damned calibration cubes.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Is one of the pulleys on the cross machine rods slipping? That's almost what it looks like.

I went back and just tried to tighten some more bolts - it turned out that these two bolts on the left side of the Y axis were completely disengaged from the carriage(!)

Got a new test running, if it works okay I'll clean out all the dust and loose plastic and get some buildtak for the build plate.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Printer update:
My tornado has been in UK customs for 12 days now
I called them asking wtf was going on, apparently it's "awaiting further information via letter" whatever the christ that means...

This is super painful, since it's only about 24 hours away once it leaves the depot, I've even got the cash sitting ready to send when they ask me for the inevitable ransom

Dammit HMRC! :argh:

Edit: :wtc: HMRC have sent me a set of forms to fill out with the value of my printer and won't release it until I post them an invoice of the printer? Jeeze

kaffo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 15, 2018

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

New 32gb card ordered from walmart. It's about the same price as it'd be from amazon and I can pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks guys. Gonna try to get octoprint running tomorrow so I can stop having to run from room to room when I'm printing these god damned calibration cubes.

I recently recommissioned my Octopi setup, including picking up a new Pi 3B to replace the older 2B+ I was using. $36 well spent there, it's a much snappier and more responsive little rig now. I also discovered the Printoid app for Android, which hooks into Octoprint via the API and lets you control the printer while you wander around the house with your phone or tablet. I haven't started a print from the bathroom yet, but the option is there if I need it.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Acid Reflux posted:

I also discovered the Printoid app for Android, which hooks into Octoprint via the API and lets you control the printer while you wander around the house with your phone or tablet.
There's also the TouchUI plugin for OctoPrint which creates a more touch-friendly UI and runs from any web browser without installing anything. That Printoid looks pretty neat though too and runs a little bit better on my old Nexus 7 (2013). Wow that thing is getting up there in age.

If anyone had a problem with "UVC" webcams (a class of webcams that use a generic driver) which decide to stop working after a while, I am super proud to say I found and fixed that bug a few weeks ago. Well, at least for my issue which was that the camera would send a corrupted frame every so often and eventually mjpg_streamer would stop getting frames altogether. Works on both my ELP 720p and 1080p webcams which previously would stop working somewhere between a few hours to a couple months.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

techknight posted:

Got a new test running, if it works okay I'll clean out all the dust and loose plastic and get some buildtak for the build plate.
Good luck. We have a Z18 here and it's a piece of poo poo.

If I use Makerbot PLA and get very, very anal on the settings, it might look passable but not enough to present externally.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
What are the mechanical fuckups with it? Over/underdefined systems, poo poo coming loose, bad tolerancing? I think I remember Bree's ultra-awk presser when the Z18 was introduced.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

vibur posted:

Good luck. We have a Z18 here and it's a piece of poo poo.

If I use Makerbot PLA and get very, very anal on the settings, it might look passable but not enough to present externally.

The second test, after re-fastening those screws, came out a lot better:

It's not perfect though.. I'm wondering maybe I should just replace the belt and see how that goes. Also the Z height is a bit too close, I'm going to fiddle with that a bit and try another test.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAiLwPlW098

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blergh. Type A Machines just went under.

https://www.myminifactory.com/typeamachines

We have two of their Series 1s and they're good printers, but now we aren't gonna be able to get replacement parts. It's mostly standardized stuff but the extruders are unique. Time to start designing a way of hooking an E3D onto the carriage I guess

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I think I have worked out my heat creep issue , that its just too hot to print and this is how it presents.

The heat and humidity together are enough to thin and warm the air.

I'm hoping regular behaviour will return once the heatwave passes

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
I decided to throw a big pile of money at my x5s to get it where I want it.
I just ordered:

Polycarbonate wheels for linear motion to replace the delrin wheels
bondtech BMG
e3d v6 with volcano
duet wifi
300mm 750 AC heating element
A few sheets of 24 gauge cold roll steel to make a removable magnetic platform

I have a 500w AC heating element and a temp control setup from an old composites oven that will become the chamber heater.

I still need to figure out ventilation. I'm planning to duct out a window with 1.5" PVC. I think a duct fan running slowly will provide the small amount of negative pressure I need to keep dirty air out of my shop without totally cooling the printer down. I'll probably print some variable sized venturi restrictors to tweak that flow relationship.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

asmasm posted:

I still need to figure out ventilation. I'm planning to duct out a window with 1.5" PVC. I think a duct fan running slowly will provide the small amount of negative pressure I need to keep dirty air out of my shop without totally cooling the printer down. I'll probably print some variable sized venturi restrictors to tweak that flow relationship.

Would a simple air separator do the job? A sealed bucket with in /out air lines should limit any backflow from outside to a minimum without any power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

Great Beer posted:

Would a simple air separator do the job? A sealed bucket with in /out air lines should limit any backflow from outside to a minimum without any power.

I think I want a constant negative pressure in order to prevent air leaks from a less than air tight enclosure entering my garage (my garage is below my living room). I also want it vented out of the house. I'm planning to print a lot of polycarbonate.