Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Allo the app is good.

Allo the ecosystem is terrible and that is keeping all my friends in Hangouts.

Browser access was a step in the right direction, but it needs multi-device, multi-browser support along with message history portability before it can compete with Hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Allo the app is good.

Allo the ecosystem is terrible and that is keeping all my friends in Hangouts.

Browser access was a step in the right direction, but it needs multi-device, multi-browser support along with message history portability before it can compete with Hangouts.

And integration into SMS a la iMessage, that's imperative for any kind of success imo

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

sleepwalkers posted:

:thunk:

It's like iMessage, except it's not integrated into the stock messaging app, doesn't use proper SMS, doesn't have a proper desktop client, doesn't support multiple browser instances, and nobody uses it!

good thing I don't care about any of that! multiple browser instances? who gives a poo poo? lmao currently the ecosystem for iMessage-like apps consists primarily of Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp (do people still use that?) so as far as I'm concerned I'm happy being able to send "baba booey" in 72pt font. and as of today, at least two people use it!

the SMS integration would be nice considering it's a preinstalled messaging app on Pixels, but it's not like I ever expected to use it with people who don't also have a Google phone (based on their history of making new things that have zero interoperability on top of individual manufacturer ecosystems like Samsung or LG's failed attempts at messaging apps) so it's still a win-win as far as I'm concerned

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 14, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

good thing I don't care about any of that! multiple browser instances? who gives a poo poo? lmao currently the ecosystem for iMessage-like apps consists primarily of Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp (do people still use that?) so as far as I'm concerned I'm happy being able to send "baba booey" in 72pt font. and as of today, at least two people use it!

the SMS integration would be nice considering it's a preinstalled messaging app on Pixels, but it's not like I ever expected to use it with people who don't also have a Google phone (based on their history of making new things that have zero interoperability on top of individual manufacturer ecosystems like Samsung or LG's failed attempts at messaging apps) so it's still a win-win as far as I'm concerned

I know literally one other person with a Google phone and we use WhatsApp. All that poo poo isn't good enough. They must make Allo more seamless/integrated to switch to, or no one will ever use it. WhatsApp and SMS are too embedded.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
My phone has been buzzing like it's got notifications a lot recently but nothing is there when I check. Any way to see the history of notifications/vibration events?

Pixel2 on latest updates, ongoing for a couple weeks/months.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Twerk from Home posted:

Don’t use Huawei phones, say heads of FBI, CIA, and NSA.

How much weight should I be putting into guidance like this? It seems to me like there's no Android option that doesn't have someone spying on you. I feel like the Honor phones are pretty drat competitive in the budget space, and it feels like if it's not China spying on you, it's the US.

Good thing to warn everyone before a huge US international company taps Huawei to build it's flagship phone. :horse:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

My phone has been buzzing like it's got notifications a lot recently but nothing is there when I check. Any way to see the history of notifications/vibration events?

Pixel2 on latest updates, ongoing for a couple weeks/months.

You can try this: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-recover-lost-notifications-on-android

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are you asking if people still use WhatsApp? Sorry, I'm not sure your opinion on messaging apps matter. Like honestly, this comes off as pure shilling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WhatsApp was never a thing in the US, so it's hard to get a pulse on its ongoing usage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, but to actually post "WhatsApp (do people still use that?)" is incredibly amazingly ignorant

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The "de facto mainstream chat app" changes on a country to country basis

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Palladium posted:

The "de facto mainstream chat app" changes on a country to country basis

Correct, it's still a ridiculously ignorant statement.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're going to first compare Allo to iMessage and then ask if WhatsApp even still exists, I'm not sure if I really care about your opinions of messaging apps is all I'm saying.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WhatsApp isn't really a thing in the U.S., the only country in the world.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Haven't heard this opinion yet. We have come full circle from the ol lack of SD card slot days.

As a embedded Linux engineer. I too hate removable storage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is Whatsapp

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What'sapp, Doc?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bull3964 posted:

WhatsApp was never a thing in the US, so it's hard to get a pulse on its ongoing usage.

Yeah. I only use WhatsApp to chat with 1 friend, because that friend traveled and lived in Europe for a number of years and it's their main messaging app for staying in touch with people across continents.

Also to video chat with my parents since it bridges the iOS-Android divide.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

I use allo with my wife and a few friends. It's honestly great, but only if you can convince people to use it. There's this weird circular repulsion to it though, where people say it's poo poo because nobody uses it, and nobody uses it because people say it's poo poo.

Nobody uses it because it lacks a multitude of really basic features so there's no reason to switch to it. There is nothing circular about it.

There are lots of far more capable apps with way more features and users. Whatsapp is the big one, telegram is my personal choice.

E: oops I posted without seeing a new page. Whatsapp never exploded in the US like elsewhere but it's definitely still a thing here. Half the people I know use it, most of them decidedly un-technical people, so it's not just ur-goons.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 15, 2018

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Suits our needs! 😽👍

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Over in east Asia LINE is the big messaging app, stores/restaurants will have LINE profiles the way they have Facebook profiles in the States.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

isndl posted:

Over in east Asia LINE is the big messaging app, stores/restaurants will have LINE profiles the way they have Facebook profiles in the States.

Where is "east Asia"? Because in China it's WeChat.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Where is "east Asia"? Because in China it's WeChat.

Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I never understood how it got so popular so quickly around here. Everyone already had and used Facebook Messenger, and back then it was anything but bloated. But suddenly out of the blue, everyone and their mom was using Whatsapp instead. I would have understood, if it had an SMS fallback like iMessage, but it doesn't.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't know if some server in China recorded all my tweets or drunk texts, but my Mate 9 was a genuinely awesome phone that could easily stand on its own in 2018 due to it's insane battery life, fingerprint scanner speed, general lag free performance, and Bluetooth that managed to work better than my Pixel 2XL. The screen was nice and non-color shifty as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I don't know if some server in China recorded all my tweets or drunk texts, but my Mate 9 was a genuinely awesome phone that could easily stand on its own in 2018 due to it's insane battery life, fingerprint scanner speed, general lag free performance, and Bluetooth that managed to work better than my Pixel 2XL. The screen was nice and non-color shifty as well.

Post approved by Chinese government operatives.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Post approved by Chinese government operatives.

Just letting them know where I stand in the new cellphone world order. :china:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

I never understood how it got so popular so quickly around here. Everyone already had and used Facebook Messenger, and back then it was anything but bloated. But suddenly out of the blue, everyone and their mom was using Whatsapp instead. I would have understood, if it had an SMS fallback like iMessage, but it doesn't.

I think part of it was ease of use. You dont need to make an account and remember your account name and password. You just install the app and your phone number is your account. Even grandma can do that.
Some people also did the whole "i don't even have a Facebook account because i care about privacy so i use Whatsapp!" thing. Those people finally shut up about that and quietly kept using Whatsapp when Facebook bought it...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Weird (?) question! I have a Moto G4+, dual sim version, and I've noticed in the last couple months that it seems to open apps on its own: when I press the square "show all active apps" button, there are some apps in the background that I definitely know I didn't open. I would see, for example, Google Earth is open, even though I keep it installed but haven't used it in a long time. Is this normal behaviour, or should I be worried?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good Goon, please post your snaps for me to see when you're back.

here's some

there is some post processing on these but with the exception of #3 they are shots that you wouldn't be able to get on a phone (too wide/zoomed). also i am still learning so don't critique me too hard

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

strap on revenge posted:

here's some

there is some post processing on these but with the exception of #3 they are shots that you wouldn't be able to get on a phone (too wide/zoomed). also i am still learning so don't critique me too hard

Cheers, they look smashing. I hope you nuked the cobwebs from orbit.

Question about WhatsApp. It won't turn off vibrate and it's ruining my life. It's off in Settings, what more can I do?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

WattsvilleBlues posted:

spiders are beautiful

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Question about WhatsApp. It won't turn off vibrate and it's ruining my life. It's off in Settings, what more can I do?

Vibrate "off" in the notification settings in WhatsApp does the trick for me. That way the phone only vibrates when I have the whole phone set to vibrate.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Shai-Hulud posted:

I think part of it was ease of use. You dont need to make an account and remember your account name and password. You just install the app and your phone number is your account. Even grandma can do that. ..

It's this. Even my mum uses it. I'm in the UK and almost all my friends use Whatsapp. I reckon my messaging use is about 95% Whatsapp, 4% Facebook Messenger, 1% SMS.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I mean, that's cool that you don't care about that stuff, but it's nothing like iMessage aside from being a messaging app, which was my point. It's like iMessage for Android, if you ignore almost every selling point of iMessage.

Also, what? It's an Android app, it works with every Android phone, not just Google devices. Samsung and LG's attempts at messaging apps are... Just SMS apps, unless there's something I'm missing. Google does the same thing with the Pixel. I have no idea what you're saying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Allo is on iOS, too. Maybe Pixels get extra features or something? I think he's saying it's only pre-installed on Pixels, though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bronin posted:

Vibrate "off" in the notification settings in WhatsApp does the trick for me. That way the phone only vibrates when I have the whole phone set to vibrate.

It's paying no attention to that setting for me. I've deleted the app and reinstalled it, clear cache and data and it still vibrates. Halp!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's just insanity to me that the only messaging platform that Google has that implements cloud backed multi-device sync is original Hangouts.

I'm tired of using hacky 3rd party solutions to backup and/or transfer SMS to secondary devices and storage.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mikl posted:

Weird (?) question! I have a Moto G4+, dual sim version, and I've noticed in the last couple months that it seems to open apps on its own: when I press the square "show all active apps" button, there are some apps in the background that I definitely know I didn't open. I would see, for example, Google Earth is open, even though I keep it installed but haven't used it in a long time. Is this normal behaviour, or should I be worried?

It probably is just set to start on boot and shows up because of that. I wouldn't worry either way

bull3964 posted:

It's just insanity to me that the only messaging platform that Google has that implements cloud backed multi-device sync is original Hangouts.

I'm tired of using hacky 3rd party solutions to backup and/or transfer SMS to secondary devices and storage.

The last few times I have restore from cloud backup android messages has restored my sms history as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's cool that you like to, but I've never understood why anyone would want to keep their text messages. I treat them strictly as ephemeral data. Any information you'd want to reference later seems better suited in a different place.