Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

cargohills posted:

I really don't see what the problem is with (a) liking voice acting in games and (b) thinking that it makes games more appealing to general audiences. The Morrowind approach was fine but going back to it now the paragraphs of often generic text are as immersion-breaking as some people having the same voices.

Are you an Oblivion character? Cause the dialog responses I'm getting from you aren't matching the conversation I think we're supposed to be having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Are you an Oblivion character? Cause the dialog responses I'm getting from you aren't matching the conversation I think we're supposed to be having.

I also don't see the problem with making some characters immortal, if that's what you're getting at. New Vegas managed it but the whole game was built around it. It probably wouldn't work for a more traditional fantasy story.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Randaconda posted:

Yeah. I heard consoles was why all the main cities were in their own cell and why poo poo was so empty. What happened with Deus Ex?

The game was intended to be ported over to the Xbox and as a result everything had to be tiny. Remember the awesome Statue of Liberty map the original Deus Ex opens in? That's probably bigger than all the rest of the rooms in the game combined. Even worse, because of memory limitations the game couldn't have that many actors on screen at once. I think they had to limit it to something sily like f5.

You also had:

-Extremely long loading times between each tiny room.
-Inventory removed because the Xbox didn't have enough RAM to handle it
-Skills removed
-Universal ammo

It completely ruined the game from a "fun to play" aspect and because of how insidious it was throughout the game it wasn't as minimal as messed up keymappings but fundamentally altered how the game played.

The plot being really dumb didn't help either.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

KakerMix posted:

I'm not super familiar with the in-company drama behind it but I always heard that he was a part of why Morrowind (and Elder Scrolls in general) being so weird. Since there is such a difference between weird Morrowind and Lord of the Rings Oblivion lots of people lean on him as the reason.

The writing team for Morrowind was Douglas Goodall, Mark E. Nelson, Ken Rolston, Bill Burcham, Todd Howard, Michael Kirkbride, Ted Peterson, and Todd Vaughn. Kirkbride was also a concept artist and is largely responsible for most of the weirdness in Morrowind, but there was a general design direction to make it a strange and exotic place.

Kirkbride also worked on Oblivion and Skyrim, but as a freelance consultant rather than regular employee. Mostly, Kirkbride is associated to everything that's cool and weird in TES largely because he interacted a lot with the fans on the Beth forums and kept coming up with increasingly weirder stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The dramatic stories and questlines in Oblivion and Skyrim are another big part of why essential characters are a thing. There are almost no points in Morrowind where two characters interact with each other, no points where a big villain appears to you and comes up with some convoluted reason you can't kill him (except uh the main bad guy I guess, but that's kind of his thing). If you kill, say, the head of House Telvanni because he's getting in your way, well... that's allowed! You're the new grandmaster.

It's not a style that a modern game could really pull off without coming across as weirdly static and wooden, I think. Games now need heavy scripting and detail or they just... don't work, one of the reasons you don't see as many quest mods as you used to. It's unfortunate but there's no going back :shrug:

Of course this isn't helped by Bethesda being hacks who are determined to undermine everything people like about their games at every opportunity.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I suck so bad and am total idiot. According to Steam I have 450 hours in Skyrim. I know the farthest I've progressed through the main storyline is to go up the mountains and talk to the beardos up there and learn a shout. I think I did that twice.

All the rest of the 450 hours was an endless series of "Oh! I know, a new idea for a build!" and then I spend an hour making a character that's like a White Walker, console-gifting him the proper weapons or using mods for it, and then playing it for four hours before getting bored and making a new one. And this new one is like an 80s Ninja. Then maybe I make a vampire. Repeat endlessly.

I burned myself out on the game so badly I quit and didn't play for months. A couple of days ago I fired it up again, to see what saved characters were still there, what I was playing as when last I quit.

There was a character dressed up like a Roman Centurion, running around with three other identically-dressed guys, swinging the little Roman gladius shortsword at everyone. Which is kind of funny looking when you see him fighting a guy with a war axe that is six feet long and probably weighs 120 pounds.

Then I had an Orc, kitted out in Uruk-Hai armor from LOTR, and his five identically-dressed Uruk-Hai followers. I vaguely remember wondering if I made an orc warband of say thirty dudes if I could go kill everyone in Whiterun, but I never tried it.

I had the obligatory stealth archer who had progressed to the point that the game was no fun anymore.

Maybe some day I will stick with one guy and play this game all the way through.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've actually gotten as far as meeting the dragon who hangs out with the Greybeards once.

Once.

Mostly yeah I just gently caress around til i get bored with a character, rinse and repeat ten trillion times.

(I've weirdly never gotten far at all as a stealth archer.)

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

I’ve completed the main quest once. On the Xbox 360. I have several hundred hours on the PC version.

Modding is absolutely the game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I've never actually climbed up the greybeard mountain.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
When I played Oldrim I never even fought the first dragon at Whiterun because I decided to go to Falkreath instead to start the game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cargohills posted:

I also don't see the problem with making some characters immortal, if that's what you're getting at. New Vegas managed it but the whole game was built around it. It probably wouldn't work for a more traditional fantasy story.

Making characters immortal is treated as an easy-out for story ribbons because you can just make sure that a person won't die so they can exposition in your face. Hard to play some roles when you aren't allowed to act that role out because a game play mechanic deems in so. aka ~muh immersion~
Really all I am doing is going :argh: BETHESDA :argh: because they seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of where their strengths lie (giant-rear end worlds and all the details within) and instead focus on things they are not good at (lmao Fallout 4's no-choice small boy Shaun). Up until Fallout 4 I just assumed I'd always buy whatever Bethesda grand Skyrim/Fallout game because of modding. Now though they've decided to try to monetize that it feels like there is a ribbon of apathy that wasn't there before that might cause the community to just stick with Skyrim rather than move on to whatever new monetization schemes Bethesda will put in the next Elder Scrolls game. You know they are going to.
If Bethesda makes more money though it will be considered a success and I'll just bitch like an old man on the internet, like I'm doing now!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

axeil posted:

When I played Oldrim I never even fought the first dragon at Whiterun because I decided to go to Falkreath instead to start the game.

I did the same thing but eventually went to Whiterun to make the dragons show up.

I've never beaten the main quest either. I think the farthest I've gotten is doing a few things with the Blade's lady.

KakerMix posted:

Really all I am doing is going :argh: BETHESDA :argh: because they seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of where their strengths lie (giant-rear end worlds and all the details within) and instead focus on things they are not good at (lmao Fallout 4's no-choice small boy Shaun).

I'm pretty sure they do understand that. The problem is they want that other stuff too but don't appear to have the internal talent to pull it off. There's no reason they couldn't have cool, big open worlds AND well-designed quests with solid writing. Putting more focus on it is their way of saying "hey look, we've improved this part of the game everyone thinks is weak!" while not realizing that they didn't actually make it much better.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Making characters immortal is treated as an easy-out for story ribbons because you can just make sure that a person won't die so they can exposition in your face. Hard to play some roles when you aren't allowed to act that role out because a game play mechanic deems in so. aka ~muh immersion~
Really all I am doing is going :argh: BETHESDA :argh: because they seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of where their strengths lie (giant-rear end worlds and all the details within) and instead focus on things they are not good at (lmao Fallout 4's no-choice small boy Shaun). Up until Fallout 4 I just assumed I'd always buy whatever Bethesda grand Skyrim/Fallout game because of modding. Now though they've decided to try to monetize that it feels like there is a ribbon of apathy that wasn't there before that might cause the community to just stick with Skyrim rather than move on to whatever new monetization schemes Bethesda will put in the next Elder Scrolls game. You know they are going to.
If Bethesda makes more money though it will be considered a success and I'll just bitch like an old man on the internet, like I'm doing now!

Yeah Fallout 4 was the first Bethesda game I've played (FO3/Skyrim/New Vegas) where I was straight up unhappy playing and I finished it solely out of spite. I get the sense that was pretty much everyone's reaction to it.

Had they made Fallout 4 work like New Vegas (please save us Obsidian) or hell, even a Fallout 3 with all the things they've learned about world-building since it would've been great. The other big Fallout 4 issue was that literally every problem was solved by killing things and the skill system was so shallow every character felt the same. And all the "dungeons" were the same thing over and over as well. The only remotely unique/interesting part was the town of malfunctioning robots.

They did a nice job on the visuals though, I will give them that, and using Fenway as the main city was a neat bit of world-building. Everything else was not worth the price of admission.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The dramatic stories and questlines in Oblivion and Skyrim are another big part of why essential characters are a thing. There are almost no points in Morrowind where two characters interact with each other, no points where a big villain appears to you and comes up with some convoluted reason you can't kill him (except uh the main bad guy I guess, but that's kind of his thing). If you kill, say, the head of House Telvanni because he's getting in your way, well... that's allowed! You're the new grandmaster.

It's not a style that a modern game could really pull off without coming across as weirdly static and wooden, I think. Games now need heavy scripting and detail or they just... don't work, one of the reasons you don't see as many quest mods as you used to. It's unfortunate but there's no going back :shrug:

Of course this isn't helped by Bethesda being hacks who are determined to undermine everything people like about their games at every opportunity.

The three word rebuttal to that is "Fallout:New Vegas."

Morrowind is great, I love Morrowind, but I think nostalgia takes hold. The quests were still linear relative to Fallout 1 and 2. And the wiki-dialog was awful, perhaps worse than the short little dialog bits in Skyrim.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Morrowind is great, I love Morrowind, but I think nostalgia takes hold. The quests were still linear relative to Fallout 1 and 2. And the wiki-dialog was awful, perhaps worse than the short little dialog bits in Skyrim.

I haven't revisted Morrowind but I'm sure I'd get in and go "woah this loving sucks" when I go to hit something/someone and I swing into nothing. I just miss what I thought Bethesda was like back then, now they are fat and lazy and meh, let's have someone else do the giant open world with a free modding kit just because instead of trying to monetize other peoples' free time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

KakerMix posted:

Lets be fair, I'm half tempted to stick with Skyrim because of the Beyond Skyrim team. Are they ever going to finish? I highly doubt it. But if every part of their team churns out at least a Bruma-sized piece of content, that'll be what? 7 DLCs worth of content, each in a uniquely designed location?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Bee posted:

King Among Kine seems absurdly useful. Being able to keep your high-thirst abilities along with your low-thirst abilities seems rather best of both worlds to me.

But lets be real. The best potential usage of the mod is using Blood Bond to finally marry a Whiterun Guard.

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow... to the heart...

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 15, 2018

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
hurr durr Bethesda are such lazy hacks its why I'm still playing and talking about their game 7 years after it came out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They're very good at creating an open world full of killable things and a satisfying gameplay loop. Just don't ask them to make that world reactive or the persons interesting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean people poo poo on Bethesda all the time now but there's a reason they still basically own this genre. For all we might whine about their bad writing on these forums, I don't think the average gamer is actually bothered by it. They can create the illusion of a cohesive world and narrative well-enough that people aren't bothered by it enough to turn away from these games.

I'm interested in seeing how much BOTW influences the next TES game. BOTW got more attention than any open-world game has in ages. I'd be really surprised if Bethesda didn't try to incorporate elements of it, but this series being first person seems like a big limiter in terms of fluid movement options.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

The Bee posted:

Isn't there an "essential for everyone but the player" flag? I'd set every essential to that in a heartbeat.
There is! "Protected", I think it's called. Housecarls are protected: If Lydia dies, it's your fault.

axeil posted:

The game was intended to be ported over to the Xbox and as a result everything had to be tiny. Remember the awesome Statue of Liberty map the original Deus Ex opens in? That's probably bigger than all the rest of the rooms in the game combined. Even worse, because of memory limitations the game couldn't have that many actors on screen at once. I think they had to limit it to something sily like f5.

You also had:

-Extremely long loading times between each tiny room.
-Inventory removed because the Xbox didn't have enough RAM to handle it
-Skills removed
-Universal ammo

It completely ruined the game from a "fun to play" aspect and because of how insidious it was throughout the game it wasn't as minimal as messed up keymappings but fundamentally altered how the game played.

The plot being really dumb didn't help either.
A couple points of clarification because I'm one of those handful of people on the internet who don't hate Invisible War: "intended to be ported" is a little inaccurate, it was the same simultaneous development that most games get nowadays—but which basically means "design for the weaker platform." However, the removal of skills and introduction of universal ammo was a matter of poor design decisions, not hardware limitations. Not sure if the inventory simplification (it had an inventory, just didn't have tetris) was more driven by controller limitations or a sincere desire to simplify the interface because they thought that was the better idea. The tiny zones and really restricted amount of textures (I think there's one texture that's used for all guns, just carefully applied in different ways to the different models) is absolutely a consequence of the Xbox's 64 MB of RAM, though.

If anyone's interested in seeing a conversation about Deus Ex and Invisible War, here's a video of Warren Spector and Harvey Smith talking about video game design and doing a full post-mortem of the games.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Invisible War is a perfectly fine shooter, it's just not as good as the best PC game ever made.

I can live with that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Morrowind was on the Xbox, Invisible War was a lazy game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

Yeah, good designers can get around it if the entire game is built on it from the ground up. Bethesda have chosen to take a specific route and style where it doesn't work and that's entirely their own fault - just saying there are interesting reasons that lead to it too. Stuff like NPCs in MW never fighting each other without player interference. Radiant AI might not be as cool as they made it out to be but it's still a spanner in the works.

I think I covered Morrowind having linear and static quests/dialogue which would be even more jarring and weird in a game with modern production values.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Morrowind was on the Xbox, Invisible War was a lazy game.

I always read that the problem with IW was that the guy designing their custom engine jumped ship halfway through development and left 0 documentation, so they had to reverse-engineer this unfinished garbage fire of an engine to do what they wanted in a very short time before release.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Vavrek posted:

There is! "Protected", I think it's called. Housecarls are protected: If Lydia dies, it's your fault.

If I remember right all active followers get Protected status. A mod to change all Essential people to Protected would be pretty cool, actually.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Its ok guys, I took the five seconds to search nexus

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78110

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25137

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34623

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I know the Protect your People mod mass sets protected status. It just needs a de-essentializing companion.

e: Of which all of those look really promising. Thank you!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mr Scumbag posted:

hurr durr Bethesda are such lazy hacks its why I'm still playing and talking about their game 7 years after it came out.

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean people poo poo on Bethesda all the time now but there's a reason they still basically own this genre. For all we might whine about their bad writing on these forums, I don't think the average gamer is actually bothered by it. They can create the illusion of a cohesive world and narrative well-enough that people aren't bothered by it enough to turn away from these games.
Perhaps Bethesda is good at making compelling core gameplay but has significant glaring deficiencies that are annoying enough to complain about? :thunk:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Invisible War is a perfectly fine shooter, it's just not as good as the best PC game ever made.

I can live with that.

I don't know if you've played Invisible War at all since it came out but it's definitely not a "perfectly fine shooter" in any sense. I mean I guess except for the bare basics of "there are guns" and "there is a crosshair on the screen" and "you can make bullets go towards that crosshair." I remembered it not being all that bad but then I tried it again like a year ago and yeah it's appallingly bad.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPwpLDvAnvo&t=491s :thunk:

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm midway through the campaign. Are there any mods I can insert to make the world of the game more dangerous? I don't have any mods installed at all.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yes

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
The OP has a few good ones to boost enemy levels, immersive creatures adds some interesting ones too.

You can also find some to make dragons actually rough or disable sneak archery's broken ways.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KakerMix posted:

:master:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Okay, can anyone who has experience with Morrowloot Ultimate explain how the hell you unlock daedric smithing? The mod author's a real :nexus: and acts like knowing this is like knowing who killed JFK. There's absolutely nothing on the Internet about what the hell you're supposed to do except people cryptically saying ~*do the thing*~.

I've already finished the main Dragonborn quest and gotten all 7 of the black books and done all the side quests and gotten all the crafting-related smithing perks. What the hell am I missing?

edit: I mean look at this :smug: poo poo. I don't care about lore I'm level 50 and everything dies in practically one hit, I'd like to use all the 8 million dragon bones and ebony I've been saving.

quote:

Daedric: crafting Daedric is lost knowledge so you're going to have to find knowledge that no other smith in the game will possess. Not gonna spoil where. What I will tell you is that you're working with Ebony, so Skyforge only, and it can only be crafted at night (cuz lore).

quote:

The author considers sharing this information to be a spoiler, but it really boils down to "stop being lazy and play Dragonborn and you'll be able to craft your gear."

loving modders.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 16, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Just open up the mod in TESEdit and see what the conditions for it are. That does sound like Hermaeus Mora's gig though. There's a reason that Morrowloot is the only TrainWiz mod I don't open-palm slam into my load order.

Anyhow, I just found out about the most Bethesda of glitches with SSE: Cells with underscores in the EDID break save sorting! :allears:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Post your findings here, please, because that sounds like some bullshit.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm interested in seeing how much BOTW influences the next TES game. BOTW got more attention than any open-world game has in ages. I'd be really surprised if Bethesda didn't try to incorporate elements of it, but this series being first person seems like a big limiter in terms of fluid movement options.

There's already crazy air control just implement bunnyhopping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Help I'm installing this stupid game again instead of playing something good