Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sindai posted:

No because shielding is really just a different flavor of permanently destroyed for all intents and purposes and doesn't have unique mechanics except that it doesn't leave mineable debris.

You can study the people trapped inside englobed planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Numismancer posted:

What are people's favorite battleship builds? Spinal-mount weapon bows for BS, carrier core, ??? stern?
I usually build my battleships to either have one spinal mount fly zapper and the rest artillery or 3 carrier modules with the leftover slots being plasma. No idea if it's a good idea but it seems to work. Two bombers and one fighter with a cruiser variant also supplying a fighter so it balances up. It's all guesswork for me. :downs:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can tell you what I personally do. I roll all battleships because I find they survive a lot better and I hate reinforcing fleets. I'll have 3 designs, a long range kinetic battleship, a plasma battleship, and a carrier loaded with PD. I'll build maybe 60/40 kenetics and plasmas, and toss in how ever many PD carriers feel right depending on who I'm fighting at the moment (basically if after a battle report I see I've been taking missile damage, I'll toss in more PD battleships)

This of course goes out the window a bit fighting fallen empires, who apparently a swarm of smaller ships are more effective against. But I just take the Galactic Contender ability and let that bonus do the work for me when fighting FE's and not have to mess with ship design micro.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
My usual method is torpedo corvettes, either PD or kinetic artillery destroyers, and pocket-knife cruisers with torpedo/bomber/plasma. Battleships get spinal mounts if I have them, kinetic artillery, or the best strike craft I can manage. Although I am powerfully tempted, next time I need to ROFLstomp somebody and/or melt my computer, to just mount autocannon on everything and reach previously unheard-of heights of DAKKA.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I like how the autocannons look but like i don't think i've ever really used them. They're good at what, killing the stuff that just dies real fast anyway?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Baronjutter posted:

I can tell you what I personally do. I roll all battleships because I find they survive a lot better and I hate reinforcing fleets. I'll have 3 designs, a long range kinetic battleship, a plasma battleship, and a carrier loaded with PD. I'll build maybe 60/40 kenetics and plasmas, and toss in how ever many PD carriers feel right depending on who I'm fighting at the moment (basically if after a battle report I see I've been taking missile damage, I'll toss in more PD battleships)

This of course goes out the window a bit fighting fallen empires, who apparently a swarm of smaller ships are more effective against. But I just take the Galactic Contender ability and let that bonus do the work for me when fighting FE's and not have to mess with ship design micro.

If you didn’t see by the way, 2.0 lets you set up a fleet template (a description of what a fleet composition SHOULD look like) and then tell a fleet to just “reinforce to look like that”.

Using non battleships might not be a huge chore anymore!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Encountered an interesting bug regarding the War in Heaven today. Leading the League, I defeated both of the awakened empires, but their former vassals continue the war in their absence without end, which is complicated a little bit by two factors: first, that the two sides are entirely seperated from one another by the league members making them unable to fight and keeping the war score permanently at 2; and second, the war's demands disappeared with the Awakened Empires so both sides only have the option of unconditional surrender (i.e. white peace is not an option), which they won't do since neither is losing. So right now I can pick them off at my leisure.

Not that I really would need to since there's another bug if I manually tagswitch to end the war. Even though the war is over, as soon as the fighting stops all the former vassals immediately request to join the League by event, leading to an instant federation victory as every empire in the galaxy signs up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

LordMune posted:

The Humanoid planet-destroyer is right there four posts up, so the plant jerks are getting one too

Give us the pics of the other colossi. How else am I supposed to decide what ship models to choose if not by what their WMDs look like?! :colbert:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I like how the autocannons look but like i don't think i've ever really used them. They're good at what, killing the stuff that just dies real fast anyway?

AFAIK yes, though they're also good for putting a stupid amount of lead in space.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

darthbob88 posted:

AFAIK yes, though they're also good for putting a stupid amount of lead in space.

As an added bonus, millions of years from now a far away civilization in another galaxy will receive a small bonus to their research efforts when they're nearby hit by your projectiles. Every gun turret in your fleet is just another chance to spew science into the cosmos!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

GamingHyena posted:

As an added bonus, millions of years from now a far away civilization in another galaxy will receive a small bonus to their research efforts when they're nearby hit by your projectiles. Every gun turret in your fleet is just another chance to spew science into the cosmos!

At a rate of 1 round = 60 engineering research, we should just fire the thing at our own ships for a few seconds! We'd fell the drat tech tree in five minutes!

e; Forgot to say

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm honestly embarrassed to post this, but I said in the Paradox thread that I was gonna write a spergy effortpost on how to fix tiles in Stellaris. So here it is:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-zhDiANnzfAvfX6jya4F3zgkxIhM6ipTp8s0-EiTaW0/

It borrows a bunch from Endless Space. I tried to come up with something that I think can work inside the confines of the game as it stands without ripping out the entire system. It's an overhaul, not a replacement, but something I think would streamline the planet interaction system a lot and make it more interesting than plopping 20 power plants down on a planet and calling it a day.

Piss poor interface mockup at the end.

I like this idea a lot, it allows for more complex, unique planets and simultaneously seems likely to reduce micro considerably.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 15, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

You ain't kidding. This pretty much IS the Endless Space 2 system, adapted for terrain within a single planet instead of planets within a system. Almost the only major mechanical difference I can see is that buildings are per province instead of systemwide and the pop containers (provinces, planets, call 'em what you will) are slightly more diversified. I mean, it's not a bad system, but I do question somewhat the wisdom of lifting everything so directly.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did they ever fix the bug with helping other races psionically ascend? in that if you did, that species then replaced your primary species?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

You ain't kidding. This pretty much IS the Endless Space 2 system, adapted for terrain within a single planet instead of planets within a system. Almost the only major mechanical difference I can see is that buildings are per province instead of systemwide and the pop containers (provinces, planets, call 'em what you will) are slightly more diversified. I mean, it's not a bad system, but I do question somewhat the wisdom of lifting everything so directly.

Because the current economic system is a bit pants, to be honest, and lifting one of the actually good bits of ES2 would be a nice example of 'convergent design'. I'd prefer it was tackled next, but we're probably going to get diplomacy.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Anyone else have somewhat fond memories of MoO3? It's weird in that it's one of those games in which I keep trying to go back to it over and over roughly once a year thinking "yeah it's flawed, but there's a bunch of stuff I like" and then when I actually try and play it, I remember why I stopped the last time.

The planet management was a good example of something that I think could have worked - The stuff Demiurge posted above reminded me of it.

I always got annoyed in other 4X games like Moo2 or the new MOO because the ability to produce every building in the game on every planet with one or two exceptions, plus the fact that some of them were extremely useful to have early on in the planet's development meant that I was always micro-managing planets to ensure they were building the right structures in the right order. Moo3 went a long way to alleviating that paradigm even if I had to read the drat manual to figure out how it worked.

I do enjoy having specific structures, but a lot of the time, I would much prefer sitting back knowing that my colonies will automatically take care of themselves. In that regard, the sector system reminds me of MOO3's system too.

Also, I've not been this antsy waiting for a game update since XCOM 2s War of the Chosen.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Don't think this tweet has been posted but I like how the border colours change to the federation one. Cool change!

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/963879691420622856

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Have some patch notes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PiCroft posted:

Anyone else have somewhat fond memories of MoO3? It's weird in that it's one of those games in which I keep trying to go back to it over and over roughly once a year thinking "yeah it's flawed, but there's a bunch of stuff I like" and then when I actually try and play it, I remember why I stopped the last time.

The planet management was a good example of something that I think could have worked - The stuff Demiurge posted above reminded me of it.

I always got annoyed in other 4X games like Moo2 or the new MOO because the ability to produce every building in the game on every planet with one or two exceptions, plus the fact that some of them were extremely useful to have early on in the planet's development meant that I was always micro-managing planets to ensure they were building the right structures in the right order. Moo3 went a long way to alleviating that paradigm even if I had to read the drat manual to figure out how it worked.

I do enjoy having specific structures, but a lot of the time, I would much prefer sitting back knowing that my colonies will automatically take care of themselves. In that regard, the sector system reminds me of MOO3's system too.

Also, I've not been this antsy waiting for a game update since XCOM 2s War of the Chosen.

I still love MO3, even though nowadays I can only stand the heavily modded and fan-fixed version I have. (If I weren't phone-posting, I would even add a link to my currently running Let's Play of it.)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

canepazzo posted:

Don't think this tweet has been posted but I like how the border colours change to the federation one. Cool change!

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/963879691420622856

:shobon: in alliance form

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

* It is now possible to start a game with no other empires in it, but this will disable conquest victory

Hell yes, now we get to be the oppressive precursors.

e: New main theme is badass.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't help it, I love that kind of achievement names https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnP5iDKwuwk

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

quote:

* Lowered MTTH on the Dragon's Hoard events
* Afterburners now add some evasion

FINALLY

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Aethernet posted:

quote:

* Afterburners now add some evasion
FINALLY

STOP RIPPING OFF MY MOD PARADOKKK$ !!!!

(thank you for allowing me to discontinuing caring about a tiny mod i made once)

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Clash of the Titans: Defeat a Fallen Empire Titan in battle with a fleet of your own that includes a Titan

Freespace-like achievement detected.

Pandora's World: Shield a planet belonging to Fanatic Purifiers, Ravenous Swarms or Determined Exterminators

Future Generations: You pacifist diiiiiiicccccckkkkkkksssssssss.

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 15, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
* Every planet can build civilian ships through the spaceport tab, including Habitats

Don't remember that from the dev diaries. Neato!

* Fear Campaign empire edict added to the game, which increases unity output and xenophobia

Love this

* Curators now ask if you wish to renew their research agreement when it ends

GOTY

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
By the way, did I miss anything in the dev diaries/streams about the fleet home base mechanics? It was bought up like once in one of the dev diaries with talk about more stuff that tied into it in future dev diaries, but they seem to be forgotten. An idea that didn't work out?

Edit:

* Transport fleets can now be set to aggressive stance. Aggressive stance transports will automatically follow nearby military fleets and invade hostile planets, if odds are favorable

Fuuuuck yeah

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Tomn posted:

* Transport fleets can now be set to aggressive stance. Aggressive stance transports will automatically follow nearby military fleets and invade hostile planets, if odds are favorable

Fuuuuck yeah

No kidding I would pay half an expansion price for a DLC that only contained this change. Paradox people please don't read this.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They've also added a maximum fleet caps to the game, topping out at 1000. Wonder what the decision behind that is. And if it scales by galaxy size.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk5VWUNpbD8

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
* Will to Power tech removed from game

Goodbye, orbital mind control lasers. (It didn't really make sense that non-authoritarian or non-spiritualist empire were able to use these anyway.)

* Intel levels have changed. They are as follows: None (Unknown), Low (unsurveyed but known), Medium (surveyed, not in sensor range), High (unsurveyed, in sensor range) and Full (surveyed, in sensor range)

I wonder how these are going to be displayed on the map.

* Becoming Federation President now requires an empire to own at least 10% of a Federation's total planets, OR at least half the number of planets of the largest member. Empires who do not fulfill this condition will be passed over for leadership.

Does this mean it's now possible to become the permanent federation leader?

* Basic (lvl 0) Farms, Mines and Power Plants removed
* Lvl 1 buildings (Farms, Mines, Power Plants) can now be built on new colonies

Goddamn, finally. No more waiting for a new colony to grow 5 pops before you can lay down the buildings and put it into a sector. Building those basic buildings was basically a complete waste of minerals.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They've also added a maximum fleet caps to the game, topping out at 1000. Wonder what the decision behind that is. And if it scales by galaxy size.

It says further down in the list that it's to reduce late-game lag.

quote:

###################
# Performance
###################
* Improved caching of pathfinding and system distance from FTL consolidation into hyperlanes
* Less ships overall in late-game should lead to increased performance

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
* Master Builders now requires Zero Point Power, but gives the Mega-Engineering tech option

Isn't that how it works now?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

* Master Builders now requires Zero Point Power, but gives the Mega-Engineering tech option

Isn't that how it works now?

I think so.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
* Leaders now cost 200 energy to hire instead of 50 influence
* Resettlement now costs energy instead of influence

Huh, interesting. Could make resettlement a lot more viable.

* Planetary Unification technology now increases monthly unity by +5

This really surprised me, a buff to small/wide empires with few planets I guess? Also in the civic section for some reason.

Like the Shroud buffs too, Psionic Ascension has always felt really underwhelming (and too RNG) to me. Authoritarians getting xeno slavery too (except the RNG part obviously).

Like the energy torpedo rework too, kinetic artillery needed an armour piercing alternative.

However all of this is outweighed by sensor range being indexed from 1 instead of 0. Also you already nerfed delicious titans once, leave them alone, I wanted to make a delicious titans livestock farm one day.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Energy for moving pops is going to be great on a synth empire. :getin:

Going to have to stop taking Bulky as a negative 'tho.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Staltran posted:

Huh, interesting. Could make resettlement a lot more viable.

I hope it's still free for undesirables.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Staltran posted:

:quagmire:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Consolidated the three Curator enclaves into a single country"
That's a pretty big change. Wonder how that will play out, diplomacy wise?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Would it really be? It's not like there was a difference between the groups - all of them gave you the same information and same bonus to research if you hired them. Same with the artists.

Now, if there's just one and they get blown up then I guess you're just SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Would it really be? It's not like there was a difference between the groups - all of them gave you the same information and same bonus to research if you hired them. Same with the artists.

Now, if there's just one and they get blown up then I guess you're just SOL.

I imagine they still have multiple stations, so you aren't any more screwed post-patch than you'd be pre-patch.

• Locked thread