Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ciaphas posted:

Hey was FF12 any good, I honestly can’t remember playing more than an hour of it in its original form and I’ve just learned of the remaster or whatever on Steam

It's a boring nothing of a game where you automate combat in the first couple of hours then spend the next 40 (at 4x speed) holding the left stick in the correct direction until you beat the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good music though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Now I have died 48 times to Diablos

My hands are cramping terribly now

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What poker game has the best AI of them all?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

first act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like teachers sexually abusing kids this game is badass
second act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like a weird tengu man murdering a woman in order to profit off her art...?
third act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like wondering if this said yakuza or mafia in japanese, also it kind of brushes up against teenage prostitution but only in the loosest terms and the guy who wanted to kidnap and sell teenage girls into prostitution is also a wacky bug man who starts freestyle rapping when you fight him because this game understands tone
fourth act of persona 5: i mean futaba's issues are decently written even if the way it ties into the main plot kind of kills the 'social issues' angle
fifth act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like capitalism (note: killing the slave driver who's gotten his employees killed was bad, actually)
sixth act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like LOKI
seventh act of persona 5: i get the metaphor with the god guy but also what

ending of persona 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtbkYCLFxYU

You're really hung up on Persona being about social issues when it is not and it never makes this argument. It constantly reinforces that these wunderkinds could live a stable life if not for the desires of greedy men who abuse their power. That's it. The drama that arises comes from this unknowable force acting in the shadows, disturbing the order everyone values until it's used to abuse them. The people in the game care more about stability than justice and that's the furthest P5 cares to comment on its world.

I get it, you want more out of it, but you also infer things the game doesn't set up or care about.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

What poker game has the best AI of them all?
governor of poker

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ciaphas posted:

I thought I wasn't spooked by the ocean but i was oh so wrooooong :cry:

I discovered this with Abzu. Some of the collectibles have you sinking into the inky black void of the depths and I was like, “okay time to sink into the inky black void of th-no. Noo. Oh god no. No.” So that was a fun discovery to make.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

The people in the game care more about stability than justice and that's the furthest P5 cares to comment on its world.
my point is that p5 itself cares more about stability than justice too tho. it brings up wage slavery and death by overworking only to basically brush them off. id be fine with the game not having those themes in it if it didnt bring them up, but since it brings them up i expect it to have a conclusion beyond 'maybe this is bad, i guess?'

like im not even expecting its conclusion to be 'full luxury gay space communism,' i love plenty of things that touch on those themes and then go 'capitalism is fine actually,' im just expecting it to have like, any opinion or view.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ciaphas posted:

Hey was FF12 any good, I honestly can’t remember playing more than an hour of it in its original form and I’ve just learned of the remaster or whatever on Steam

Forgettable Fantasy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly while I generally like it my biggest problem with MonHun is how long everything takes, when I can slap something around for 30 minutes then still die and fail the mission I just feel like I'm wasting my time, more so than spending an hour on a Souls boss but getting like 12 attempts in that time, even though there's no difference really.

There are a lot of frustrating aspects to MHW like having to actively fight against the whole dumb sheathing system and clunky controls that probably seem like godsends to people who have been playing MH for a decade but are still like a generation behind mechanically.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's another thing, I've been playing for over 20 hours now and still gently caress up and press the wrong button because the controls are antithesis of every other game I've played. Also why doesn't O unsheathe like triangle, I'm pretty sure sheathed O doesn't actually do anything anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

my point is that p5 itself cares more about stability than justice too tho. it brings up wage slavery and death by overworking only to basically brush them off. id be fine with the game not having those themes in it if it didnt bring them up, but since it brings them up i expect it to have a conclusion beyond 'maybe this is bad, i guess?'

like im not even expecting its conclusion to be 'full luxury gay space communism,' i love plenty of things that touch on those themes and then go 'capitalism is fine actually,' im just expecting it to have like, any opinion or view.

I just don’t know what you expect a fulfilling conclusion to be. The cast are kids, they can’t vote to change anything. Haru can’t actually touch her dads money, it’s a publicly traded company. Everyone is in way over their heads and treat their exploits as a game until someone dies. I don’t know what opinion needs to be espoused beyond “don’t be a dick” given the narrative constraints and once you get passed the setup they never shoot for a loftier message.

Maybe it shouldn’t have started out so dark right out of the gate, but for real the evil adults are the spotlight not the failings of a society that everyone is otherwise excelling in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you haven't already try turning off auto-sheathe in the options menu so that you don't put away your weapon every time the monster gets more than two feet away from you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah that's another thing, I've been playing for over 20 hours now and still gently caress up and press the wrong button because the controls are antithesis of every other game I've played. Also why doesn't O unsheathe like triangle, I'm pretty sure sheathed O doesn't actually do anything anyway.
R2 is technically the unsheathe button, triangle's draw attack and the reason that circle doesn't also draw attack is well uh...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The thing about Subnautica is I'd be absolutely terrified playing it if I knew anything in the game was capable of swallowing you whole. I'm fine with my character being torn to shreds, burned, poisoned, whatever. But being eaten alive is my worth nightmare and giant ocean monsters are common culprits of that in video games.

Fortunately the things big enough to eat you in Subnautica like to chew their food.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

When anyone asks me about FF12, I tell them I played it to the end, never did any hunts and remember about 1% of what happened in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

I just don’t know what you expect a fulfilling conclusion to be. The cast are kids, they can’t vote to change anything. Haru can’t actually touch her dads money, it’s a publicly traded company. Everyone is in way over their heads and treat their exploits as a game until someone dies. I don’t know what opinion needs to be espoused beyond “don’t be a dick” given the narrative constraints and once you get passed the setup they never shoot for a loftier message.

Maybe it shouldn’t have started out so dark right out of the gate, but for real the evil adults are the spotlight not the failings of a society that everyone is otherwise excelling in.
i dont see any proof that the kids won't grow up to be evil adults or that theyve done anything to make it so that evil adults wont happen again, then? even in a very basic good vs evil story there's usually some lasting impact made by the characters. like your average children's show set in modern times has the villains either be extradimensional threats and defeating them is the end of the issue, or it has the characters actually talk about how their actions affect the people around them and how they should live their lives, and persona 5 kind of does neither. there's some extradimensional elements to the story but the villains are still by and large societal threats the characters do nothing to address the base causes of, and the characters only talk about how their actions have changed things in the most literal terms and never really grow after their introductions, due to character development being in s. links. Makoto wants to be a cop, her sister was a cop and became a Bad Adult due to the pressures of her job, there is no reason Makoto would not succumb to those same societal pressures because they have made no changes to society or even really themselves.

and like, when we've shifted the goal posts so low that 'i wish persona 5 had the moral and emotional depth of yugioh' is what im saying here, maybe that's enough of a criticism on its own.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The thing about Subnautica is I'd be absolutely terrified playing it if I knew anything in the game was capable of swallowing you whole. I'm fine with my character being torn to shreds, burned, poisoned, whatever. But being eaten alive is my worth nightmare and giant ocean monsters are common culprits of that in video games.

Fortunately the things big enough to eat you in Subnautica like to chew their food.
so how do you feel about kirby

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

so how do you feel about kirby

Hyper realistic Kirby would be a horror game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

If you haven't already try turning off auto-sheathe in the options menu so that you don't put away your weapon every time the monster gets more than two feet away from you.

Holy poo poo this is a game changer.

Also I finally did it and now I can go to sleep

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Holy gently caress what

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

This sounds like the dumbest default "feature" ever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

most of the stuff they added to somehow make the game more approachable to new players is, at best, kind of bad

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Australia is listing Megaman X Collection 1 and 2 for 2018 so it seems like we're getting one good collection this year.

Not with this exact wording, but same. I got to the 6th Palace and I’m disappointed with anything that Isn't the gameplay or the soundtrack.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

X5678 collection gonna be, uh.......

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I think I would’ve liked the P5 plot more had it stayed at a grounded scale. The bigger the threats got in the society the faster the plot started leaking all its gravitas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Actually when you think about it, it makes perfect sense for a seasoned hunter to go "ah well" and casually put away their weapon seconds after getting trampled by a huge lizard.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Actually when you think about it, it makes perfect sense for a seasoned hunter to go "ah well" and casually put away their weapon seconds after getting trampled by a huge lizard.

"Oh well..."

*stands up, brushes dust off armor*

"No need for this then..."

*sheathes sword, rubs newly footprinted face*

"Guess I'll just relax and then go t-OH gently caress"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
In 110 hours I've never had a problem with my Hunter auto-sheathing.

e: I have had problems finding the triggers to some of these HR villager request missions. I'm at HR43 and I know I'm missing like five missions.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LawfulWaffle posted:

In 110 hours I've never had a problem with my Hunter auto-sheathing.

e: I have had problems finding the triggers to some of these HR villager request missions. I'm at HR43 and I know I'm missing like five missions.

Yeah I turned off auto-sheathing too.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

like im not expecting persona 5 to be some woke masterpiece but the game is constantly posturing about how its about neglected teens taking the fight to lovely adults and then the cast are
Let me tell you how Goro was right all along and then the games villianizing of the poor abused kid with mental issues speaks volumes

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 15, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cuntellectual posted:

That is one complaint I have, I guess; Leveling up Personae takes FOREVER. Maybe it's my fault because I'm playing on hard..
When I come to power, my platform will be that people should never play JRPGs on Hard unless a). it's trivial to dial it up/down like in Tales or Bravely Default or b). they know for sure ahead of time that that's the appropriate level to play at either because that's the consensus or they are super familiar with the franchise.

99% of the time (and Persona 4 is certainly one such case) it just makes everything more tedious.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Sheathed O is the context button like pick up/carve

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now I have died 48 times to Diablos

My hands are cramping terribly now

:staredog: What weapon were you using? Some weapons have it ten times harder or easier on some monsters and it helps to be able to use at least two pretty different ones to avoid getting stonewalled like that. Gunlance is perfect for diablos and probably would have given you a much easier time, every time he burrows or charges you can just put up your shield and it lets you explode his horns off

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like FF12. The fun is in setting up your gambits, it’s the kind of programming I can wrap my head around. Also the plot is about politics for the majority of it, which is cool and interesting (I find FF stories get pretty underwhelming when they turn into desperate fights against its version of Ultimate Death, and FF12 takes a while to get to that point).

Shame about Vaan though, guy’s a dipshit who brings the game down

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nina posted:

I think I would’ve liked the P5 plot more had it stayed at a grounded scale. The bigger the threats got in the society the faster the plot started leaking all its gravitas.

P5 became more and more outlandish and unrelatable as its scale increased until the final act, where it segfaulted and became almost as good as the first act

a population quietly sitting and waiting for the end of civilization while resenting the audacity of people who even make a token effort to change things for the better was way more relatable than anything involving Shido, who pound for pound might have been one of the worst-written villains in 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

I like FF12. The fun is in setting up your gambits, it’s the kind of programming I can wrap my head around. Also the plot is about politics for the majority of it, which is cool and interesting (I find FF stories get pretty underwhelming when they turn into desperate fights against its version of Ultimate Death, and FF12 takes a while to get to that point).

Shame about Vaan though, guy’s a dipshit who brings the game down

Gambits would be good if you had to change them more then like five times in the whole game, 100% of the story and 75% of the optional hunts and bosses can be done with the exact same generally useful for everything set up.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

You use O for a bunch of gunlance stuff like reloading/shooting gunlance shells and there are attacks that use multiple buttons like on gunlance triangle + circle is a rising slash/R1/O/triangle is wyvern fire etc

I don't remember if other weapons have triangle + circle attacks but I thought pretty much all of them did idk

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I want to go home and play monster hunter but I'll just fall asleep when I get home rip

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sup people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sakurazuka posted:

Gambits would be good if you had to change them more then like five times in the whole game, 100% of the story and 75% of the optional hunts and bosses can be done with the exact same generally useful for everything set up.

I like that you kinda build up how robust your setup is over the course of game, slotting in new gambits as you find new abilities or encounter more dangerous enemy behavior (like when your whole team gets "stopped" and you think huh I should have someone ready to throw chronos tears) but you're right in that there are a million super granular gambits of which many are never useful.

• Locked thread