Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ah right, makes sense then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Thank god Star Trek is now free of that possible continuity error.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's also fitting that the homicidal hologram is a Bajoran.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Blistex posted:

Some people were commenting, "how could the Klingons get to earth if they only took 20-30% of the Federation's territory?" But it sort of makes sense. If you're expanding, and you run into another Org's territorial borders (Klingon Empire), then obviously you're not going to expand that way, and put more resources into exploring and expanding in another direction. So what I'm guessing is that Earth is actually pretty close to Klingon Territory, so taking 20-30% could easily mean that you've made it to Earth.

Its because Discovery isnt particually well written from the get go and the final episode is a rushed mess that feels like the production team had their two part epic conclusion suddenly cut down to one episode and boy would I put money on that being the truth.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Peachfart posted:

And the only thing Sisko did wrong in that episode is not finishing the job. Take out all the Maquis.

Chakotay finally arrives home, and opens the door only to find Sisko waiting there with a gun. He is always waiting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blistex posted:

Some people were commenting, "how could the Klingons get to earth if they only took 20-30% of the Federation's territory?" But it sort of makes sense. If you're expanding, and you run into another Org's territorial borders (Klingon Empire), then obviously you're not going to expand that way, and put more resources into exploring and expanding in another direction. So what I'm guessing is that Earth is actually pretty close to Klingon Territory, so taking 20-30% could easily mean that you've made it to Earth.

Earth is actually pretty close to Klingon space. The bulk of the federation expands to the galactic west.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

corn in the bible posted:

Chakotay finally arrives home, and opens the door only to find Sisko waiting there with a gun. He is always waiting.

:getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like to imagine Sisko spent his time with the Prophets manipulating events in the delta quadrant to continually delay Voyager’s trip home just because of the maquis crew members.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
it was his favour from q for stopping the beatdown

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Earths been almost blown up so many times I'm starting to see the evil terran side of things. I think we'd all agree that wiping out the 2018 klingons would be a good thing and vulcans really aren't any fun.

God, could you imagine new ferengi? I wonder how stupidly grimdark and ridiculous they'd be.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 16, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

hemale in pain posted:

Earths been almost blown up so many times I'm starting to see the evil terran side of things. I think we'd all agree that wiping out the 2018 klingons would be a good thing and vulcans really aren't any fun.

God, could you imagine new ferengi? I wonder how stupidly grimdark and ridiculous they'd be.

Wasn't there some throwaway line in "Encounter at Farpoint" that implied the Ferengi eat people?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Like James Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies waiting in ambush while drinking a bottle of vodka except it's a half eaten of pan of JAM-BA-LA-YA.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
a year from now we'll all be talking about the new "fast" borg

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The farg

"Don't resist. Your poo poo is now our poo poo"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hemale in pain posted:

Their ears are like crazy pointed. Like fantasy novel cover goblin pointy.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Earth is actually pretty close to Klingon space. The bulk of the federation expands to the galactic west.

Ok, that makes sense. I think everyone who was commenting on it assumed that earth had to either be directly in the middle of Fed space, or as far away from the Klingons as possible.

Nutsngum posted:

Its because Discovery isnt particually well written from the get go and the final episode is a rushed mess that feels like the production team had their two part epic conclusion suddenly cut down to one episode and boy would I put money on that being the truth.

I would back up your wager with a stack of cash as well. That got resolved too fast, and too easily. I keep getting the feeling that the writers are trying to ape GOT, but it's almost like they never watched more than an episode or two and just thought "dark, twists, betray" is good writing, we'll go with that.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Wasn't there some throwaway line in "Encounter at Farpoint" that implied the Ferengi eat people?

Ferengi were originally intended to be the Big Bad in early TNG development and you can still see some of that intent in the throw away line from Farpoint and the first two or three times they actually show up in the show. The Ferengi as we currently know them started to emerge in later TNG seasons with DS9 really running hard with the gimmick.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like to imagine Sisko spent his time with the Prophets manipulating events in the delta quadrant to continually delay Voyagers trip home just because of the maquis crew members.

He'd turn Chakotay into this and toss him in the gumbo:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Tighclops posted:

a year from now we'll all be talking about the new "fast" borg

I've been trying to figure out what the grimdark discovery borg would be but I know Burnam would beat it with sick kung fu and swords.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nah, the Borg will be the opposite of their old selves, so they'll want to assimilate you into their collective by deeply learning about and understanding you and your culture. They're going to be the wokest space-bros around, and will start a campaign of militant letter-writing to convince to join their collective and, you know, just hang. No pressure, whatevs. You wanna transish into one of us borg bros? We can put tubes in you, pretty cool bro, tubes, and armoring. No pressure. We want you to be us, but by being the best "you" you can be.

Resistance is too much adulting for me bro, just wanna holodeck and chill.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
How many zeroes should I put on this check?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

He'd turn Chakotay into this and toss him in the gumbo:

Ch'okra'tay

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

simplefish posted:

Ch'okra'tay

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Chakotay goes to meet his spirit animal and it’s just Sisko scrubbing clams and cackling

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
NuBorg would be a cloud of nanites/grey goo/SG1 replicators that go around and convert sentient species into part of their collective extremely by just transporting aboard a ship and easily infecting everyone as if they were an airborne virus. The humanoid shapes they take on are just a collective group-think memory of approximating the previous forms of all the species they'd absorbed.

The Ferengi likely also had the misfortune to have their first documented contact with a Federation race be in the form a bug-like species that they proceeded to kidnap and eat thinking they were food.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Chakotay goes to meet his spirit animal and it’s just Sisko scrubbing clams and cackling

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

have the cardies been depicted yet?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JediTalentAgent posted:

NuBorg would be a cloud of nanites/grey goo/SG1 replicators that go around and convert sentient species into part of their collective extremely by just transporting aboard a ship and easily infecting everyone as if they were an airborne virus. The humanoid shapes they take on are just a collective group-think memory of approximating the previous forms of all the species they'd absorbed.

The Ferengi likely also had the misfortune to have their first documented contact with a Federation race be in the form a bug-like species that they proceeded to kidnap and eat thinking they were food.

Disagree, I think the conversation would go like this:

OK everyone, so we need to fit the Borg into next season. Enterprise managed to retcon first contact with the Borg and so can we, hiw do we put our distinct flair on them?

Well, we could change their appearance? Right now all the Borg look like pale white humans and that's not very diverse. They assimilate everyone right? Let's have all sorts of weird alien shapes and colours!

Yes! Well done Timothy, great shout.

Wait, you said old Borg weren't very diverse right? Well how about we emphasise that the Borg treats everyone as equals no matter what? We can contrast this with racial and gender discrimination and raise some real morally grey areas about the Borg.

Yes that sounds great Susan [editors note: Susan is the only female star trek writer, the other 11 are all men]. Maybe we can have Burnham really struggle to see what is so bad about the Borg if everyone is treated equally and poverty and war would be eliminated? Maybe compare the collectives hive mind to the link she shares with Sarek.

[Mumrmings of approval from all around the table]

James, I think we should go for that, and then have Ash Tyler convince her at the end that individuality is really important. Like he had two people in his body and it really messed him up, so he's like "imagine if it was millions".

That's fantastic James, we can have Burnham vulcanised logical personality basically saying "what is so bad about the Borg?" but she doesn't really defeat them until Ash Tyler appeals to her emotional side by saying "you'd lose me again, you'd lose everyone, don't out others through what I went though". Great job everyone, let's all take a ten minute snooze and mountain dew break and meet back here to write the script.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

simplefish posted:

Ch'okra'tay

Was aiming for this but yours is also funny.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
If I was going to redesign the Borg, I'd render them as a hideous parody of life, an agglomeration of all sorts of different bibs and bobs from a variety of species, with too many arms and legs that stick out at weird angles along with a generous helping of technological gizmos, doodads, and widgets sticking out all over the place, like the Borg just take people apart and then stick the pieces back together in a way that better serves the Collective.

It'd be totally rad.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if i were to remodel the borg they'd all have skin tight unitards and huge tits and they'd lose most of their implants

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bet I know which ones you keeping

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

gizmojumpjet posted:

If I was going to redesign the Borg, I'd render them as a hideous parody of life, an agglomeration of all sorts of different bibs and bobs from a variety of species, with too many arms and legs that stick out at weird angles along with a generous helping of technological gizmos, doodads, and widgets sticking out all over the place, like the Borg just take people apart and then stick the pieces back together in a way that better serves the Collective.

It'd be totally rad.

It would probably be a pain budget wise but I've heard worse ideas for the Borg.

I'm sure the reality of NuBorg would be the writers trying to copy the Walking Dead only with pieces of hvac stuff glued to their yoga tights.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

if i were to remodel the borg they'd all have skin tight unitards and huge tits and they'd lose most of their implants
maybe give the borg legs that dont quit, some pouty lips and gorgeous eyes

something is still missing hmmm lets see

high heels

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Kitchner posted:

Disagree, I think the conversation would go like this:

OK everyone, so we need to fit the Borg into next season. Enterprise managed to retcon first contact with the Borg and so can we, hiw do we put our distinct flair on them?

Well, we could change their appearance? Right now all the Borg look like pale white humans and that's not very diverse. They assimilate everyone right? Let's have all sorts of weird alien shapes and colours!

Yes! Well done Timothy, great shout.

Wait, you said old Borg weren't very diverse right? Well how about we emphasise that the Borg treats everyone as equals no matter what? We can contrast this with racial and gender discrimination and raise some real morally grey areas about the Borg.

Yes that sounds great Susan [editors note: Susan is the only female star trek writer, the other 11 are all men]. Maybe we can have Burnham really struggle to see what is so bad about the Borg if everyone is treated equally and poverty and war would be eliminated? Maybe compare the collectives hive mind to the link she shares with Sarek.

[Mumrmings of approval from all around the table]

James, I think we should go for that, and then have Ash Tyler convince her at the end that individuality is really important. Like he had two people in his body and it really messed him up, so he's like "imagine if it was millions".

That's fantastic James, we can have Burnham vulcanised logical personality basically saying "what is so bad about the Borg?" but she doesn't really defeat them until Ash Tyler appeals to her emotional side by saying "you'd lose me again, you'd lose everyone, don't out others through what I went though". Great job everyone, let's all take a ten minute snooze and mountain dew break and meet back here to write the script.

Okay, but some of this doesn't sound half bad. I'll take it over whatever Voyager did with them.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You'd be able to keep most of the previous canon Borg then, say 7 out of 9 of them?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the borg add the best of a species biological traits to theirs. we know they've assimilated humans, vulcans, and klingons. there is no way they shouldn't have titty cleavage.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm not a huge fan of ezri-era ds9, and it's not ezri's fault but that last season is pretty weak.

This is the best moment of ds9 though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF2f3XLfCo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

what was that horrible cg star trek fan movie where seven of nine's daughter is going around on the bridge of starfleet ships wearing hot pants and a sports bra with her gigantic hooters hanging out? i think the plot was the borg assimilate a zergling or something.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

basic hitler posted:

I'm not a huge fan of ezri-era ds9, and it's not ezri's fault but that last season is pretty weak.

This is the best moment of ds9 though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF2f3XLfCo

That "Well hello" might be the best delivered line in all of Star Trek.

Ezri was great because in 1 season she was in more amazing scenes than Jadzia was in 6, even if season 7 overall was weaker. In addition to the one you linked, there's also Ezri destroys the Klingon way of life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as886JnsjtQ&t=71s

And Garak destroys Ezri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLp_HJl-0nI

It's one of my goals in life to deliver an amazing :iceburn: and then end it with "Now get out of here, before I say something unkind."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
My version of the Borg would have way more than the normal complement of titties.

Titties grafted in all over the place.