Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahahaha these are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Helen Highwater posted:

A small grey card is fine. Your camera doesn't have to focus on it. Switch the lens to manual focus, hold the grey card close enough to cover most of the frame and then shoot.

Soulex posted:

Also thanks a bunch for noticing the colors, they have always been a point of contention for me (these guys have been super helpful) and that just means I found a good balance.

I don’t have the best camera (5d mkiii) but it’s still good. I plan on upgrading eventually and then buying a slave thingy so I can set it up remotely on goal or something. I always try to white balance before the shoot but it always comes out either a little too warm or too green and I still have to edit it. I might just need to get a bigger grey card. The one I have is the size of a credit card and it helps but it’s not precise. Is there something anyone could recommend for white balance?

One thing that's always going to be difficult is accounting for color casts from the floor, from those lighted advertisement screens, and from uniforms. Especially when players are driving to the basket or are in close proximity to other players with colorful jerseys, their skin will get hit with reflected light from the floor and jerseys, and it's going to be screwy. So, do your best with a gray card, but just have the knowledge that it isn't going to be perfect depending on the circumstances (so don't stress too hard).

Also, what's up 5d3 buddy? My primary focus is weddings and portraits so I have one of these and a 6D. Definitely get into remote work -- it's a ton of fun. I convinced a high school AD to let me mount a backboard remote (the 6D with a 17-35 on it) for a few games and it was a blast.

20160205_211826 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

I was terrified of it falling, so I had safety cables on the camera, on the magic arm, on the camera platform, and on the clamp independently.

IMG_2961 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

dakana posted:

One thing that's always going to be difficult is accounting for color casts from the floor, from those lighted advertisement screens, and from uniforms. Especially when players are driving to the basket or are in close proximity to other players with colorful jerseys, their skin will get hit with reflected light from the floor and jerseys, and it's going to be screwy. So, do your best with a gray card, but just have the knowledge that it isn't going to be perfect depending on the circumstances (so don't stress too hard).

Also, what's up 5d3 buddy? My primary focus is weddings and portraits so I have one of these and a 6D. Definitely get into remote work -- it's a ton of fun. I convinced a high school AD to let me mount a backboard remote (the 6D with a 17-35 on it) for a few games and it was a blast.

I was terrified of it falling, so I had safety cables on the camera, on the magic arm, on the camera platform, and on the clamp independently.

IMG_2961 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

That is something I would love to do. I really want to shoot an entire game with an extra camera at some point just to see what comes of it.

Also thanks for the advice. I bought a grey card fully knowing it wasn’t going to be perfect (I used to white balance religiously for video work and still had to tweak it in post) but I was spending at least 5 minutes trying to dial color in per photo previously. Now it’s pretty quick.

I’ve been trusting my histogram a lot more but realize that it doesn’t tell the entire story in the photo. I’ll always feel weird murdering highlights all the time. If I wanted to go really in-depth with what I’ve seen some people do, I’d be here forever trying to learn on YouTube. It’s not like you need a bunch of gradient filters editing basketball games. I’ve used the clone tool a few times but I’m horrible at it. I stick to LightRoom but I can always go back to Photoshop if needed. Not like I know that better.

Best way to remove light noise? Just keep it in Lightroom? I always hear of programs like denoise or something but never wonder if they are any good.

I have three men’s games left. One tomorrow, one Saturday and sometime next week. Opening season for baseball starts Friday. I’m gonna be busy. I’ve been seeing a lot of my pictures on my school’s page, and they make it to other places. It’s weird seeing something you took displayed on some website. Good weird.

Those Olympics pictures are the best. I love micro-expressions!

Something I would like to do

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

dakana posted:

I would as terrified as you! I'm playing along with remote cameras myself, but only in football.

Vålerenga Fotball - Strømsgodset 06.04.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

My worst concern is that a shot will hit the camera and break it and the lens.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Soulex posted:

I’ve used the clone tool a few times but I’m horrible at it. I stick to LightRoom but I can always go back to Photoshop if needed. Not like I know that better.

Best way to remove light noise? Just keep it in Lightroom? I always hear of programs like denoise or something but never wonder if they are any good.

I've found Lightroom's noise reduction works really well and use that -- usually around 15-25. I have the noise reduction turned off in my camera as well (I usually shoot JPG for sports). I also set Lightroom's sharpening to 0, and export as maximum quality JPGs. Then, I run them through Image Processing in Photoshop, hitting it with an Unsharp mask action and saving as a more reasonable quality for file-size reasons.

One other thing -- if you do end up shooting for a journalistic publication, just be aware that any image-altering things like using a clone tool is verboten. There are some pretty strict ethical standards photojournalists need to follow -- taking a very light hand in editing, and only doing minor color and exposure corrections.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

dakana posted:

I've found Lightroom's noise reduction works really well and use that -- usually around 15-25. I have the noise reduction turned off in my camera as well (I usually shoot JPG for sports). I also set Lightroom's sharpening to 0, and export as maximum quality JPGs. Then, I run them through Image Processing in Photoshop, hitting it with an Unsharp mask action and saving as a more reasonable quality for file-size reasons.

One other thing -- if you do end up shooting for a journalistic publication, just be aware that any image-altering things like using a clone tool is verboten. There are some pretty strict ethical standards photojournalists need to follow -- taking a very light hand in editing, and only doing minor color and exposure corrections.

That’s totally different than my workflow. I shoot RAW and do it all in LR but I hit light noise at around 40-50. At least for the past few games. Thanks. Any reason why JPG?

I totally get journalistic things. Same for video. Once you break that ethical thing, good fuckig luck. I saw a story about how a photographer won photo of the year and then had it pulled or something because he stamped some poo poo out. It was a hand being wrapped and the final was a super cropped version of the original with the poo poo surrounding the hands removed.

It’s good practice now, but I don’t plan on doing it a whole lot. One was because there was a string clearly visible from one of the Cheer team’s shorts that might have been embarrassing if left in. I try not to use a shot that someone would be upset about. At least in this capacity where I have classes with the athletes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Noise reduction at 40-50 is reallly high, especially with the current LR process. Older revisions let you get away with cranking noise reduction and not destroying your image, but with the latest once you get past 25 things start to get muddy real fast.. you get what I call an oil painting effect.

I wouldn't worry about noise at the pixel level. Export for the web at 4k or lower resolution and you'll get some "free" noise reduction when you scale down from the original.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cameras these days do perfectly good jpeg work and it saves you a ton of memory to shoot jpg when you're shooting in bursts and winding up with hundreds, if not thousands of shots. I can honestly count on one hand the amount of times I've shot RAW and none of them were for sports. I really haven't felt like I've needed it.

Even if you gently caress up white balance with a jpeg it freaky isn't that hard to correct these days

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Soulex posted:

That’s totally different than my workflow. I shoot RAW and do it all in LR but I hit light noise at around 40-50. At least for the past few games. Thanks. Any reason why JPG?

I usually shoot JPG for sports for speed. When I shot for the newspaper, it was speed of getting images selected, processed, and transmitted for publication deadlines. When I shoot high school sports, I need to have them uploaded the same day, so it's just faster to transfer, cull, process, and upload if they're already JPGs to begin with. Especially if I'm coming home with 2k images, I don't want that to be 50GB worth of images.

It absolutely makes white balance and exposure a lot more important, though, and the decision process of whether you're OK with 1/500 or 1/640 or if you want to push the ISO just a bit more so you can get to 1/800 or 1/1000 is more significant.

Almost everything else I shoot, though, I shoot in RAW. That means weddings are ~75-100GB, but I have time to process them and the income from them funds the storage.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

dakana posted:

I usually shoot JPG for sports for speed. When I shot for the newspaper, it was speed of getting images selected, processed, and transmitted for publication deadlines. When I shoot high school sports, I need to have them uploaded the same day, so it's just faster to transfer, cull, process, and upload if they're already JPGs to begin with. Especially if I'm coming home with 2k images, I don't want that to be 50GB worth of images.

It absolutely makes white balance and exposure a lot more important, though, and the decision process of whether you're OK with 1/500 or 1/640 or if you want to push the ISO just a bit more so you can get to 1/800 or 1/1000 is more significant.

Almost everything else I shoot, though, I shoot in RAW. That means weddings are ~75-100GB, but I have time to process them and the income from them funds the storage.

I was thinking that would be the biggest draw. To be honest, I don't do super long bursts. I still have a lot of data to go through but that's ok. I do need to get a new external because the one I just had poo poo itself. I barely saved the photos I had on there, after having just rescued a bunch of older pictures from a similar hard drive. I've gotten better with data management habits. Is there a difference between the noise at the same ISO levels with JPG and RAW? Same with disabling the function in the camera (noise reduction)

I take my time with editing which I know is something not always afforded when contracted or working for a publication. So the extra time and data is ok, but it also means not archiving every game because that's a lot of data. I just need to buy a new external really.

xzzy posted:

Noise reduction at 40-50 is reallly high, especially with the current LR process. Older revisions let you get away with cranking noise reduction and not destroying your image, but with the latest once you get past 25 things start to get muddy real fast.. you get what I call an oil painting effect.

I wouldn't worry about noise at the pixel level. Export for the web at 4k or lower resolution and you'll get some "free" noise reduction when you scale down from the original.

I use LR5, so maybe that's it? I try to make it so the light noise in the background of my photos (those big rear end red walls) aren't grainy. I know what you're talking about completely though. Is it the same with output sharpening? I haven't been checking it because I haven't thought it needed it. If my poo poo is jacked though, please call me out.

DJExile posted:

Cameras these days do perfectly good jpeg work and it saves you a ton of memory to shoot jpg when you're shooting in bursts and winding up with hundreds, if not thousands of shots. I can honestly count on one hand the amount of times I've shot RAW and none of them were for sports. I really haven't felt like I've needed it.

Even if you gently caress up white balance with a jpeg it freaky isn't that hard to correct these days

I tried to run out of buffer room on my camera with JPEG and it lasts way longer. I think I'm just worried that if I wanted to get more detail out of something that I'd be limited. Especially later on after the event. It's more than likely that I'm being overtly paranoid.

Thanks for the advice as always everyone. Everyone here is helping me get better and ultimately follow my dreams.
I'll post some pictures up later tonight/early morning after the game.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 15, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never touched output sharpening. I know some people swear by it though.

And nah, your noise reduction looks fine. At least in the images on the last page.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I never shoot raw for sports only because of storage and speed. I shoot raw for everything else though.

(If I had a runner working for me during a game swapping out cards and dumping them for me, I'd consider shooting raw then...)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I shoot everything raw, but I'm not doing it as a job and all that matters is if I get one good shot for the day.

Which for sports is just automotive stuff, so it's relatively easy to do because everything is moving in predictable ways at a consistent speed.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

I shoot everything raw, but I'm not doing it as a job and all that matters is if I get one good shot for the day.

This is pretty much my outlook. I think I got some today.

Also the coach was really animated today

Album:https://imgur.com/a/vzKCA

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Frinkahedron posted:

I never shoot raw for sports only because of storage and speed. I shoot raw for everything else though.

(If I had a runner working for me during a game swapping out cards and dumping them for me, I'd consider shooting raw then...)

Nah, wouldn't shoot in raw if I had a runner either. I miss so much speed when shooting in raw. Going from 45 fps to 5 fps is a show stopper.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of motorsports, fuuuuuucck this looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6-PBMwMLXM

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Oh this is cool as hell.

A collection of some rad photos of rad Skeleton helmets at the Olympics

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I loving love that all black one. Holy poo poo that thing looks so dystopian future police helmet.

xzzy posted:

The only thing stopping me from doing this are my legs. I can’t climb stairs sometimes, let alone rocks. It looks super loving cool though. Reminds me of the stuff I’d do in the Army.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, hauling camera gear to a rough/remote spot is tough work but once you get there and start snapping you won't feel a bit of it because you're so jazzed to be capturing it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Speaking of lugging heavy equipment around, the only other photographer I saw today was carrying 3 lenses, a backpack, and a travel suitcase. Holy cow.

First baseball game, we lost pretty bad. Walked with full bases 3 times. And you definitely feel the slower fps in this sport.

These guys were hilarious and were always doing goofy poo poo. The last photo was when someone grabbed a stereo and started blasting "Hey Ya" by Outkast while doing a weird booty shake and spin in place move.

album: https://imgur.com/a/2CyP2

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ok done for a few days at least.

album:https://imgur.com/a/1IQdj

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I shoot Raw for wrestling and can easily do over 2k for a big event, I cut down a lot but I still fully process every one and fix distractions up in photoshop...

Help.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I just got three of my pictures in the school newspaper. Got credited, which is cool, but it’s even cooler seeing your stuff in print.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Soulex posted:

I just got three of my pictures in the school newspaper. Got credited, which is cool, but it’s even cooler seeing your stuff in print.

Wehey! Great! It's even cooler when you get payed for it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

azathosk posted:

Wehey! Great! It's even cooler when you get payed for it.

I don't doubt it. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I volunteer. So if I went "Hey, pay me," they could go "nah" I definitely want to get paid though. It's not like I don't value the time and effort that goes into this.

Speaking of, took me about 6 hours of constant editing to get around 50 photos for my team and the game. Lots I wouldn't have kept but I kept a lot more for a few reasons: 1) we played Gonzaga 2) It was the last home game of the season and 3) Seniors were retiring.

I wanted to take some photos I normally don't take, and try different takes for you guys. The game was great, and was a lot of fun. We were even leading for a good bit. So I tried to have fun with the edits.

album:https://imgur.com/a/zQw9f

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Soulex posted:

I don't doubt it. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I volunteer. So if I went "Hey, pay me," they could go "nah" I definitely want to get paid though. It's not like I don't value the time and effort that goes into this.
It sounded a bit more douchy than I meant. It's not easy going from doing work unpaid to get money for it - a bit of luck is needed.

This one fucks with my head. I love it. And try get more fans. I love seeing fans cheering.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

azathosk posted:

It sounded a bit more douchy than I meant. It's not easy going from doing work unpaid to get money for it - a bit of luck is needed.

This one fucks with my head. I love it. And try get more fans. I love seeing fans cheering.

I didn’t take it that way. My wife and dad said it exactly the same. No worries. I also recognize the need to practice a lot.

I’ll definitely work on more fan photos. I’m also glad you liked that one! I felt I was taking my biggest risk with that photo and I’m glad it’s paying off! Last Basketball (women’s) game of the season tomorrow so I’ll definitely look for more passionate fans.

Edit: made the newspaper again. Full color back with my baseball stuff. I’m sure I’ll get a lot of those guys acting goofy because they are big into “The Dugout War.”

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Last game for Women's Basketball. They said good-bye to 5 first-team players, and then we lost by 2.

I had a lot of staff come up and talk to me today about my work. One of the other workers does video, and they already invited me out for rowing, like out on the water. I also let her know to hit me up if she needs a second shooter for video. She was an intern for a year or so and I'm gonna try to do the same thing.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

I'm a huge sucker for hair flying around in sports photos.

(Watch out for cutting off the feet like that though, not always easy to think about in the moment :v: )

A few shootyhoops from yesterday:

e:

This is :discourse:

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 25, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Frinkahedron posted:

I'm a huge sucker for hair flying around in sports photos.

(Watch out for cutting off the feet like that though, not always easy to think about in the moment :v: )

A few shootyhoops from yesterday:

e:

This is :discourse:

Oh man, you’re absolutely right about the feet and I am always killing myself in post on shots that could have been better. I catch myself saying “feet” halfway through shots.

I really like these two. I love the pink and the shadows of the harder lights. That boink is great though.

And thank you!

So a few things happened. Our basketball coach was arrested on 3 charges after their game in San Francisco. Domestic Violence was a charge. It wasn’t his wife or two kids but the victim is safe. He has been placed on leave right before the WCC tournament in Las Vegas.

The good news, I’ve been apparently impressing people. I saw some video work this woman does (I thought she was a student, but she works for he Athletics Department) and wanted to tell her how much I liked it. We got to talking and she invited me out to rowing. Like on a boat rowing. She also said she was the only one to do video, so I told her to hit me up since I had experience. She’s got talent, and passion. She thought my photos were the contractor I’ve been talking to’s.

The school newspaper sounds like it wants to use me regularly for sports, which is great. Better is one of my professors wrote me a really nice email about my photos:

”Professor” posted:

The images you captured of the play at third (men's bb) and the USD women's player driving to hoop stopped my eye, particularly so. Then again, a whole lot of other images you supply here capture my attention. Thank you -- thank you v. much -- for sharing these images with me. Net result: I just got a whole lot closer to USD's student-athletes. More important, I just got closer to athletic competition in a way that's meaningful: you capture the story of athletic drama so very well. It's been a long time since I worked with a photog on a sports assignment. Just about everything and nothing has changed in 30 years: you have the knack for telling the essence of a story in a single snap. This quality was valued then, and it's valued now. I'd work with you any day.

He has a PhD in Communications and knows a bunch about the semiotic side of communication, which is what I really want to get into. This is honestly one of the coolest things I’ve read though.

My desire to have people bond and connect through photographs has done so in ways I never anticipated. I never thought he would forge a bond with students, no one bit their families.

This is the feeling I’m chasing, and I hope money comes along eventually.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 27, 2018

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
So I got published in two articles in the latest Josimar (Norways only football magazine), sold three pictures to Vålerenga Football and got hired as a photographer for Eurosport/Discovery on Monday.

This went very fast ahead.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

azathosk posted:

So I got published in two articles in the latest Josimar (Norways only football magazine), sold three pictures to Vålerenga Football and got hired as a photographer for Eurosport/Discovery on Monday.

Dude! That's amazing!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo dude congrats!!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Edit: never mind. I don’t understand. I thought he was already employed by the team.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Soulex posted:

The good news, I’ve been apparently impressing people. I saw some video work this woman does (I thought she was a student, but she works for he Athletics Department) and wanted to tell her how much I liked it. We got to talking and she invited me out to rowing. Like on a boat rowing. She also said she was the only one to do video, so I told her to hit me up since I had experience. She’s got talent, and passion. She thought my photos were the contractor I’ve been talking to’s.

The school newspaper sounds like it wants to use me regularly for sports, which is great. Better is one of my professors wrote me a really nice email about my photos:

He has a PhD in Communications and knows a bunch about the semiotic side of communication, which is what I really want to get into. This is honestly one of the coolest things I’ve read though.

My desire to have people bond and connect through photographs has done so in ways I never anticipated. I never thought he would forge a bond with students, no one bit their families.

This is the feeling I’m chasing, and I hope money comes along eventually.

azathosk posted:

Holy poo poo you guys... that's pretty loving awesome.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Baseball! We got out butts kicked!

Album: https://imgur.com/a/uY7re

Soulex fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 3, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man that first one of the batter is absurdly well timed

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Today was a very sad day for me. The captain of my team (well, the team I love: ACF Fiorentina) died unexpectedly of a heart attack. He was supposed to show up for breakfast and was found dead in his hotel room. He was 31 years old, had a two year-old, and was one of the last remaining 'veterans' of our team. He was set to sign an extension letting him end his career with us.

Not mine, but I like it.

These are mine.

And we got our asses kicked again. I did get a chance to use a polarizer and try out some new angles.

album:https://imgur.com/a/sgk6c

DJExile posted:

oh man that first one of the batter is absurdly well timed

Thanks!

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Thank you guys for all the kind words. The match that was supposed to be played yesterday got cancelled due to the weather being way to cold.

@Soulex: I really dig the baseball-shots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

azathosk posted:

Thank you guys for all the kind words. The match that was supposed to be played yesterday got cancelled due to the weather being way to cold.

@Soulex: I really dig the baseball-shots!

Thanks dude. You’ve been the biggest inspiration for me just going for it. I always look forward to seeing your stuff.

Also, another football player died in his sleep. This one in Ligue 2. He was 18. Let’s hope it doesn’t go anywhere else. This is loving insane.

Got rowing this weekend. One afternoon shoot and one early morning. I need to also buy a book for newspaper clippings.