Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Can't you build up a ridiculous missile boat with the raider that does 4 or 5 accurate ordnance attacks in a round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

canyoneer posted:

Can't you build up a ridiculous missile boat with the raider that does 4 or 5 accurate ordnance attacks in a round?

Yeah. Like I said, bullshit.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

And now (per the FAQ above) you can use Vader on EACH AND EVERY ONE of those shots.

Sure you'll burn yourself to the ground, but you'll almost certainly take a shitload of stuff with you.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I always imagine Vader's ability as using the force to rip off and throw chunks of his ship. He's really brutal on the Decimator.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TremorX posted:

I always imagine Vader's ability as using the force to rip off and throw chunks of his ship. He's really brutal on the Decimator.

Me too, but frankly I feel that Vader's crew ability and Kylo's crew ability should be switched. It's even easier to picture that ability as Kylo throwing a tantrum and wrecking the bridge or something.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

All semblance of strategy go out the window when I've played epic. It's like the start of the Battle of Endor. Just two sides flying straight at each other and seeing who survives the initial joust and then who manages to survive while trying to turn around and not crash into an epic ship. Some pictures get taken on your phone and after that it's like, who fuckin cares?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Personally I imagine that Vader is actually throwing members of the crew that have failed him as projectiles.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

canyoneer posted:

I feel compelled to include 1 or 2 Jamming Beams in every epic game I play just on the off chance I face a Missile Raider/CR90. Enjoy not firing your Missiles/Torps because you cant hold on to a TL.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tequila Ranger posted:

I feel compelled to include 1 or 2 Jamming Beams in every epic game I play just on the off chance I face a Missile Raider/CR90. Enjoy not firing your Missiles/Torps because you cant hold on to a TL.

Wes Janson smiles, knowing at least his pilot ability is still appreciated in some circles :unsmith:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I like epic when it's 2v2, although last game my teammate showed me a dial and I said ok yeah cool and yet when it was revealed he had changed to something else and caused a massive clusterfuck.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Found on local X-Wing facebook group so I can't vouch for accuracy:

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Gervasius posted:

The artwork is definitely not the same as in the FFG preview. The Text may be correct, who knows. Looks like someone made that with Strange Eons.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Gervasius posted:

That looks like it was done up in EON 3. Wrong art and the corners are not rounded.

Edit: Also, white tallon rolls from both sides is just busted.

Raged fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 15, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pretty sure that isn't how they format the movement notations either.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
They're not real.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Every game I will of course be doing "Lock S-foils in attack position" in my best Red Leader voice

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Typically, what's the resale price of x wing, 50%?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Every game I will of course be doing "Lock S-foils in attack position" in my best Red Leader voice

I really hope the new wang actually has movable s-foil wings so everyone spends an inordinate amount of time at the start of turn 2 flipping over cards and then opening 5 pairs of closed s-foils after doing their best Garven Dreis impression every game.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I really hope the new wang actually has movable s-foil wings so everyone spends an inordinate amount of time at the start of turn 2 flipping over cards and then opening 5 pairs of closed s-foils after doing their best Garven Dreis impression every game.

I thought the same thing. Not to mention all the ensuing bumping.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ah the hubris is your deadliest opponent

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Bahahaha

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wow, that's amazing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hahah why would you even risk that?

That round could have killed Miranda in another way: Low had two harpooned conditions. If he attacked Low and got a crit through, the splash would have killed Miranda too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Absolutely incredible

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Let’s face it, we all did something like that. One time I tractored a harpoon laden Gunboat into range 1 of my ship but also put it back into missile range of a ship it was locked on.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The single biggest thing I've learned from watching X-Wing tournament games on YouTube is that even the top players do some bafflingly dumb stuff sometimes. Not that that was necessarily dumb, just a missed range estimate. Still, I feel better about my own mistakes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Funzo posted:

The single biggest thing I've learned from watching X-Wing tournament games on YouTube is that even the top players do some bafflingly dumb stuff sometimes. Not that that was necessarily dumb, just a missed range estimate. Still, I feel better about my own mistakes.

I saw a dude at Indiana fly the inquisitor onto a rock twice in a top 8 game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I was at that open and the dude is local to me. He's been playfully teased about it ever since.

The other running joke is "Colorado Rules" to put your ship back on the board when you fly off. That came from the finals at a regional in Colorado where a guy deployed his large ship directly at his board edge facing sideways. Ship was slightly cocked, and his first straight move took him off the board edge.

The judge allowed him to wiggle his bearing and put his ship back on the mat. That's a polite allowance when you're playing a casual game or at a different level of competition, but maybe not the right call by the judge at the final in a regional.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't know how I would feel about that as the opponent. Would depend on how I read them as a person, I suppose. That's a really major fuckup but it's a regional, c'mon son.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I know one guy who did that in a big game and refused to put it back on the board even though they said he could. Solid guy

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm realllllllly glad my time with Armada was a short one.

FLGS had the Armada regional and I went down to check it out and have a chat with a friend was was the TO.

Here is how it turned out

................... W....L.....TP....MOV
1st place ....2....1.....24.....662

2nd place....3.....0.....24....642

TP is tournament points based on how close each game was.

Winning a game doesn't mean jack poo poo in Armada tournaments and that is just wrong. Well it is to me at least. Also the winner had the lowest S.O.S by a looooooong shot and he got beaten by the undefeated player in second place. WTF

Also, I have been to plenty of X-Wing tournaments including a few 64 player ones in the summer in Australia at a smallish shop with broken AC and 43C(110F) heat and it did not reek of BO. This was a 15 player regional (lol Armada) in a super airconditioned shop on a mild day and you could smell some of the players at a distance. Not a little whiffy, but a powerful funk.

So in short Armada deserves to be as unpoular as it is.

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 17, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eh I’ve run into stinky crappy people in Xwing too.

Armada sucks for competitive play because it takes way way way too long. Everything stems from that. Epic Xwing is the same.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Armada just doesn't have as tight a ruleset as X-Wing. It works really well to move in pilot skill order and then shoot in pilot skill order. The Armada method of moving and then shooting with one ship at a time (and not a fixed order) is dramatically less enjoyable. I like the cruiser theme more than the fighter theme of X-Wing, but the gameplay for X-Wing is just BETTER by a lot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cobbsprite posted:

Armada just doesn't have as tight a ruleset as X-Wing. It works really well to move in pilot skill order and then shoot in pilot skill order. The Armada method of moving and then shooting with one ship at a time (and not a fixed order) is dramatically less enjoyable. I like the cruiser theme more than the fighter theme of X-Wing, but the gameplay for X-Wing is just BETTER by a lot.

Fighters are also very, very finicky in armada.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

With all the really good generic ships lately, I wish we had gotten a generic ARC pilot or two, one with and EPT.

Would four of them in a list have been broken? Like say, PS1 for 23 points, PS5 for 27 with an EPT.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It would've been a chunky list, but probably not broken.

What would the best generic Crew/Astromech combo?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

It would've been a chunky list, but probably not broken.

What would the best generic Crew/Astromech combo?

Weapons Engineer (maintain 2 target locks) and the astromech that lets you spend antarget lock to force your attacker to reroll their dice?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

With all the really good generic ships lately, I wish we had gotten a generic ARC pilot or two, one with and EPT.

Would four of them in a list have been broken? Like say, PS1 for 23 points, PS5 for 27 with an EPT.

Probably not broken. It would probably feel about the same as 4x TIE SFs with either LWF or FCS. Small ships, about the same effective firepower, same arcs.

9 hp ARCs behind 1 agility would probably go down faster than the 6 HP SFs behind 2 or 3 agility, especially since the ARCs have more of their HP as hull to eat crits.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
We have 4 Wookiee ship lists, which get free evades that don't go away through the round. 4 ARC at low PS would have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
4x ARCs probably isn't A Thing because of how obnoxiously wide the ships are on the table. Half of your games would be spent with the models removed from their bases and set off to the side so they could fit in traffic jams.

• Locked thread