Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SlimGoodbody posted:

America: Turns out we are, in fact, the world's evil end boss

Looking more and more like we're the evil boss of the world's end, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

America: Turns out we are, in fact, the world's evil end boss

Suck it, France.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The State Senate passed the Net Neutrality bill, Assembly next.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm copy/pasting an article I posted to the weather thread because it feels relevant to California's water troubles.

Please note the rich couple at the end of the article assuming they're not a part of the problem because they get their water from private sources.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/world/africa/cape-town-day-zero.html
Dangerously Low on Water, Cape Town Now Faces 'Day Zero'
By NORIMITSU ONISHI and SOMINI SENGUPTAJAN. 30, 2018

quote:

[Cape Town]’s water supply is dangerously close to running dry.

If water levels keep falling, Cape Town will declare Day Zero in less than three months. Taps in homes and businesses will be turned off until the rains come. The city’s four million residents will have to line up for water rations at 200 collection points. The city is bracing for the impact on public health and social order....

Hospitals, schools and other vital institutions will still get water, officials say, but the scale of the shut-off will be severe.

Cape Town’s problems embody one of the big dangers of climate change: the growing risk of powerful, recurrent droughts. In Africa, a continent particularly vulnerable to the effects of climate change, those problems serve as a potent warning to other governments, which typically don’t have this city’s resources and have done little to adapt....

For years, Cape Town had been warned that it needed to increase and diversify its water supply. Almost all of its water still comes from six dams dependent on rainfall, a risky situation in an arid region with a changing climate. The dams, which were full only a few years ago, are now down to about 26 percent of capacity, officials say....

Climate models show that Cape Town is destined to face a drier future, with rains becoming more unpredictable in the coming decades. “The drier years are expected to be drier than they were, and the wetter years will not be as wet,” Mr. Wolski said....

Helen Zille, the premier of Western Cape Province, which includes Cape Town, wrote in The Daily Maverick last week that she considers a shut-off inevitable. The question now, she said, is, “When Day Zero arrives, how do we make water accessible and prevent anarchy?”

Cutting back is a difficult message to convey in one of the world’s most unequal societies, where access to water reflects Cape Town’s deep divisions. In squatter camps, people share communal taps and carry water in buckets to their shacks. In other parts of the city, millionaires live in mansions with glistening pools.

In vast townships like Mitchells Plain, residents without cars wondered how they could even carry water containers home from a collection point....

In Constantia, a suburb with large houses on gated properties with pools, some residents were installing water tanks in their yards.

At one house, Leigh De Decker and Mark Bleloch said they had reduced their total water consumption from the city to 20 liters a day, down from 500 liters a day before the drought. Instead, they now draw from two 10,000-liter tanks of treated well water, and were waiting for two additional tanks to be delivered.

Several weeks before Day Zero, their use of city water should come down to zero, they said, estimating that it will cost them about $4,200 to become completely self-sufficient.

“It allows you to have a certain lifestyle without drawing on resources that other people need,” Ms. De Decker said.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/958785025649999873

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm really glad they're doing that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can't wait for the sweet, sweet DA tears.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

holy poo poo SF rules. i'd never want to live there but between this and their fair chance ordinance, folks in SF that have been victims of the criminal justice system actually have a fighting chance at being successful

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Now hopefully they double down on issuing DWIs to the idiots who smoke while driving that permeate the city. gently caress those assholes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cross postin from cspam, CHP loves to help Nazis and use them to investigate anti-racist activists:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/09/california-police-white-supremacists-counter-protest?CMP=edit_2221

quote:

In one phone call with Doug McCormack, identified by police as the TWP affiliate who acquired the permit for the Sacramento rally, CHP investigator Donovan Ayres warned him that police might have to release his name in response to a public records requests. The officer said he would try to protect McCormack.

“I’m gonna suggest that we hold that or redact your name or something until this gets resolved,” Ayres told McCormack, adding that he didn’t know who had requested records of the permit and noting, “If I did, I would tell you.”

Ayres’s reports noted that McCormack was armed at the rally with a knife.

The officer’s write-up about an African American anti-fascist activist included a photo of him at the hospital after the rally and noted that he had been stabbed in the abdomen, chest and hand.

It is shocking and angering to see the level of collusion and the amount to which the police covered up for the Nazis. Ayres, however, treated the protester like a suspect in the investigation. The police investigator recommended the man be charged with 11 offenses, including disturbing the peace, conspiracy, assault, unlawful assembly and wearing a mask to evade police.

As evidence, Ayres provided Facebook photos of the man holding up his fist. The officer wrote that the man’s “Black Power salute” and his “support for anti-racist activism” demonstrated his “intent and motivation to violate the civil rights” of the neo-Nazi group. He was ultimately not charged.

Ayres’s report also noted Felarca’s political activism in great detail, referencing her activism on behalf of students of color and women’s rights protests.

“This is a textbook case of a political witch-hunt and selective prosecution,” Shanta Driver, one of Felarca’s attorneys, said in an interview.

Officers also worked with TWP member Derik Punneo to try to identify anti-fascist activists, recordings revealed. Officers interviewed Punneo in jail after he was arrested for an unrelated domestic violence charge. Audio recordings captured investigators saying they brought photos to show him, hoping he could help them identify anti-fascist activists.

The officers said, “We’re pretty much going after them,” and assured him: “We’re looking at you as a victim.”

Ayres’s report noted that Punneo was armed with a knife at the neo-Nazi rally and that one stabbing victim told officers he believed Punneo was responsible. Using video footage, Ayres also noted that Punneo was “in the vicinity” of another victim at the time he was injured, but the officer said the evidence ultimately wasn’t clear.

Punneo and McCormack, who could not be reached for comment, were not charged. Ayres’s report included images and names of three other TWP-affiliated men who he said were armed with knives, but who also have faced no charges.

Trying to get an injured protester arrested over a black power fist while actively helping knive wielding Nazis avoid exposure.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
that's because they're nazi's too

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Police continuing to investigate the ongoing victimization of neo-Nazis by Black people existing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

God the CHP is scum.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

God the CHP is scum.

my apartment overlooks a busy freeway in Oakland and i see a police chase like once or twice per month, and drat it feels to good to see and then i yell gently caress THE POLICE at the CHP :smug:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bay Area poll shows residents would rather build in the open space than have more people on the freeways.

Bay Area residents want more housing, but …https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/11/bay-area-residents-want-more-housing-but/

In my mind our most valuable and desirable asset. Cool.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Respondents balked at building anything that would cut into the Bay Area’s cherished open spaces or funnel more people onto crowded local freeways and public transit, making their treks to work longer.
Being opposed to both people going onto the freeways AND transit makes no sense. "It's okay for there to be more people here, as long as they don't leave their homes." I mean I like supporting walking and biking for transportation as much as the next urbanist, but they're both rather distance-limited.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Sometimes I think the Bay nimbys are just waiting for a chance to close the bridges and go battle royale on each other.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The number one choice will always be “Tell anyone who came here after me to gently caress off”.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Duckbox posted:

Sometimes I think the Bay nimbys are just waiting for a chance to close the bridges and go battle royale on each other.

Fun story: I went to visit some friends in SF a handful of years ago on a night where the bridges were closed for maintenance, so the BART was open much later. Specifically, the trains were running well past last call, which meant it was MTV Spring Break 2005 all up in that poo poo. Everyone knew they wouldn't have to drive to get home, so just about EVERYONE in and around the city descended upon the bars and clubs of San Francisco with the kind of dedicated fervor normally reserved for suicide bombers.

The slovenly motley of shitfaced tech bro assholes and urban perverts piling into the train station after the bars closed was unbelievable. The tiles of the BART stop were dripping wet from the sweat and breath of the congregated mass, rendering the floor slippery with a fine, silty mud; a mud in which a number of people had decided to lay in so that they could sloppily neck and gently caress and finger each others various orifices.

Everyone was screaming and fighting everywhere. My gf and our friend and I got on a packed train, and six large, drunken men sat next to us and proceeded to loudly tell us how they wanted to gangrape my friend and how nothing could really stop them. They did this for 10+ minutes, after which we fled the train for another train at the first opportunity, pushing past another crowd of rioting lunatics. On this next train, the man directly next to me got into an open, slugging, kicking fight with another man. They smashed each others faces into walls, got blood everywhere, the works. I should note that the only thing any local bystander did during either of these horrific events was to get their phones out and record, laughing.

It was like the scene in Batman Begins, when the Narrows got gassed. The Bay Area is a powderkeg of psychopaths waiting to blow under anything even remotely resembling the right conditions.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SlimGoodbody posted:

It was like the scene in Batman Begins, when the Narrows got gassed. The Bay Area is a powderkeg of psychopaths waiting to blow under anything even remotely resembling the right conditions.
Goongoldences, yeah bart often sucks on the holiday-sy latenight runs. My pro-tip is stick to the first car on times like that, usually less crowded and TO is sometimes more accessible to talk to next stop when they stick their heads out the window if intercom is blocked/not working/not comfortable talking on it.

But yes, you are correct. It's also loving hilarious how many people just whip out their phones and start taking video over poo poo, I may not be more inclined to do anything than any other passive-bystander but I don't think "hey this gunna make a sick video while i act like a douche waving my phone around!"

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 12, 2018

revolther
May 27, 2008
Gather evidence of a crime to support victims in prosecution of criminals is safer than getting involved, avoids you from violating the law yourself intervening, and is literally what cops would tell you to do in any situation that didn't involve cops actually committing the crime. Record it and report it isn't "doing nothing".

If only there were some BART train station incident where whipping out phones brought to light criminals and led to their prosecution...

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

revolther posted:

Gather evidence of a crime to support victims in prosecution of criminals is safer than getting involved, avoids you from violating the law yourself intervening, and is literally what cops would tell you to do in any situation that didn't involve cops actually committing the crime. Record it and report it isn't "doing nothing".

If only there were some BART train station incident where whipping out phones brought to light criminals and led to their prosecution...

No, that's a good point. I failed to mention that during the part when my friend was getting aggressively harassed, the three of us were casting about for anyone else in our packed car to come to our aid, to chime in that this behavior was disgusting and pathetic, to try and show these guys that the crowd was not with them, anything, and all they did was either pretend they couldn't see or hear us, silently watch us, or laugh with their buddies as they vined or snapped it. Like literally begging for nonviolent intervention and getting nothing, which just emboldened the dudes saying they were gonna follow my friend to her house.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Won't anybody think of the historic laundromats??

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/2/14/17012606/laundromat-2918-mission-delay-historic-ronen

quote:

Laundry is a waiting game, and now the the owner of the Wash Land laundromat at 2918 Mission will have to wait even longer to find out if he can raze the circa-1924 building in favor of a 75-unit housing development, after the Board of Supervisorsput off a vote on the project to determine whether or not the facility is historically significant.

quote:

This project does not take into consideration the people of the neighborhood . It is a rectangular box 84-foot-tall looking over the children’s school, casting shades and eliminating views from adjoining properties. The planning code states to grant a conditional use the’ project is necessary, desirable and compatible with the neighborhood. This project has none of the above.
Oh no not my precious views.

Apparently the guy running the laundromat is also sponsoring the project but I guess dem views are more important than more housing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know that school does not want the building built due to privacy concerns and how badly it will disrupt the kids for however long the project takes and into the future. It is, however, a pre-k that caters to lower income families. So another apartment building for the wealthy coming soon!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

"Strangers may be able to see my child play outside! That's why I never let my kids play in any parks."

The lengths to which anti-development NIMBYs will go to gently caress over the poor and middle-class is truly amazing.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress, you have children in a major city, other people wil see them. I hate NIMBYs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cicero posted:

The lengths to which anti-development NIMBYs will go to gently caress over the poor and middle-class is truly amazing.

These aren't nimbys. These are low income renters who have almost no power whatsoever. They are the poor. Not even middle class. The apartments are for the upper middle class.

There is barely any development in SF that is for the poor or middle class. All the new stuff being built is getting snapped up immediately by the well to do.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

These aren't nimbys. These are low income renters who have almost no power whatsoever. They are the poor. Not even middle class. The apartments are for the upper middle class.

There is barely any development in SF that is for the poor or middle class. All the new stuff being built is getting snapped up immediately by the well to do.

It doesn't say anything about a pre-k for poors in the article, could you cite? It does say that there will be affordable housing units which is probably why people are writing in that it will "destroy the neighborhood"

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Neighborhood laundry mats are good, more housing is good. Is there some reason we can't have both?

While low income units would be nice, there is so much pent up demand SF needs to build any and all housing that it can.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The school is a pre-k. In general, the SFUSD pre-ks are populated with the children of the poor (as they can't afford day care and that's what the pre-ks are for the most part.) 75 units will bring a lot more cars to the area, eating up more parking space and creating more traffic around the school. And "affordable" housing for who? The poor? I think not. I believe every new place in the city has to have 2 apartments set aside for lower income and the rest can be rented for whatever the market will take. As such, the new places get eaten up by people with money because why would they want to live in a 100 year old flat when they can have a modern place with air conditioning and working plumbing?

The owner wants to capitalize on the boom in the city and I can't blame him. But this will just be a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting even more hosed. There isn't any $$ in catering to the poor in San Francisco when the rich are just as willing to throw their $$ in.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

As such, the new places get eaten up by people with money because why would they want to live in a 100 year old flat when they can have a modern place with air conditioning and working plumbing?

Much better for the old places to get eaten up by people with money because there aren't any new units to live in. The newly homeless poor can rest easy in their cardboard box knowing that the rich now have to shell out for a new HVAC system.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wonder when the reports of the huge growth of the homeless problem will start. It seems to be ignored. But this is the worst I have ever seen it. There are huge shanty towns in Oakland and smaller ones in San Francisco. Orange County, along the Santa Ana river, is basically a homeless city. That's Orange County.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Waltzing Along posted:

I wonder when the reports of the huge growth of the homeless problem will start. It seems to be ignored. But this is the worst I have ever seen it. There are huge shanty towns in Oakland and smaller ones in San Francisco. Orange County, along the Santa Ana river, is basically a homeless city. That's Orange County.

They've already started but if you mean in mainstream media, then that'll be when somebody Important wanders into one and dies or disappears.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

It's going to take something that makes the suburbs feel affected before it becomes a bigger problem. People in the cities have been face-to-face with it for years.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

People will shrug and call it the new normal and maybe make a few cute comparisons with Brazil. Bonus points if they say “people don’t think they’re entitled to cheap housing in Manhattan or Beverly Hills; why do they think they’re entitled to cheap housing here?”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I’m tired of this trickle down housing bullshit.

Building hundreds or even a thousand more luxury condos and apartments will not drive down housing costs for low income people.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
What's stopping developers from building apartment complexes in outlying areas? Land is cheaper and with high density units you get a lot more renters/buyers per square mile.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The owner wants to capitalize on the boom in the city and I can't blame him. But this will just be a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting even more hosed.
This is part of the problem, people so preoccupied with the idea that they will one day have money that we give those with fortunes currently a moral and social Hall pass, because, "Well, getting richer and ruining poor people's lives is what Americans do"

IF that guy only owns a laundromat in SF, he's already a millionaire 8 times over, gently caress him and everyone else trying to shave seconds off their commute. The city should demolish it and give the school kids a playground or multi-purpose room, I'm sure they are terribly under funded as is and have a million broken promises owed to them by state earmarks.

Real talk: If rich dotcom pricks want to practice sustainable lives, farm to table food, schools a safe walk from home for their kids, then they need to invest in just about any other city in California. Everywhere in the state is building infrastructure for them trying to lure them. There is literally nothing geographically ideal for tech businesses about SF, it's just the appeal of selling "weekend in the big city" as a permanent lifestyle to a bunch of people with teenage level social intelligence.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How do you guys keep up to date on what's going on up in the capital, with issues currently facing California & bills that are being worked through? Are there online resources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Trabisnikof posted:

I’m tired of this trickle down housing bullshit.

Building hundreds or even a thousand more luxury condos and apartments will not drive down housing costs for low income people.

But how do you convince developers to build something that won’t net them a profit?