Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you just want to drink Westy you can find it all over the place, however I think that traveling to the abbey and drinking on premises would be a cool experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

very stable genius posted:

If you just want to drink Westy you can find it all over the place, however I think that traveling to the abbey and drinking on premises would be a cool experience.

Yeah, it's like a 2hr drive from Brussels, an hour from Burges. That an going to basically any of the Belgian Family brewers places if quite fun. If I was making a tour of Belgium I think I'd always want to include a Trappist and one of the BFB's at least. The main restriction at Westy is you can't return within 60 Days of your previous visit, but I don't imagine that's a problem.

Edit: Had a quick look, it's 45 Euros, + 15 Euros deposit for the crate and bottles, for a crate of 12's which is pretty cheap, assuming you can get a reservation. There's no real fancy system in place, a monk writes down what you and you go and get it.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 14, 2018

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Aramoro posted:

The main restriction at Westy is you can't return within 60 Days of your previous visit, but I don't imagine that's a problem.

God I want a US brewery to implement this. At least for to go bottles.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Lt_Tofu posted:

If Stone has sued small breweries for trademark, we would have heard about it by now. The internet absolutely loves to throw Stones at hypocrisy.

I think sued is a little strong, I'm thinking it's probably more similar to MBC -> Castle Island where it starts as a friendly request that's usually obliged. I forget who I was talking to in "the industry" but I got the impression that it's a pretty common thing among breweries, not always big evil macro breweries picking on small craft.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

danbanana posted:

God I want a US brewery to implement this. At least for to go bottles.

Hill Farmstead does and it's awesome

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bernardus tastes almost identical to Westy, Rochefort is slightly different, but all three are amazing.

If you're going to the brewery cafe though, definitely get some cheese.

Apache
May 11, 2004

mmartinx posted:

It would almost have to be a destination brewery like that to be able to survive with a tap room limit. Seems like it would be counterproductive for a small local place though, since they want as much traffic as possible. Maybe Angry Chair could pull it off for bottle releases, though it would probably just encourage muling.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Bernardus tastes almost identical to Westy, Rochefort is slightly different, but all three are amazing.

If you're going to the brewery cafe though, definitely get some cheese.

Yes do this, I'm a massive Orval fan (especially at 12 months+) and Orval with some nice cheese is just a perfect pair.

Though I think you can't really visit Orval outside of the open days.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
go see the wonderful weirdos at De Struise

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Compusaurus posted:

Just because it looks similar or they start adding different references to the product doesn't mean they automatically have a chance. Does this survive a motion to dismiss? Maybe, I don't practice trademark law. Likelihood of confusion is the test employed by courts but without seriously researching case law I can't say whether the publicity stunt will outweigh their legal fees. It probably boils down to whether Molson Coors wants to spend the cash and instead just settle.

The discovery phase will be awesome when they ask a bunch of drunk people how they refer to keystone light.

A beer loving friend of mine does trademark law for the Fed and he said Stone absolutely has a strong case - this is what he told me:

"If you look at the presentation of the term “key STONE” on the cans and in other forms of advertising, you can appreciate why Greg Koch is pissed. Now, the fact that he made a YouTube video putting them on blast and championing the “we’re hardcore craft and not sellouts like others” is a little much imo. It’s not playing off an incidental, hardly used slogan (i.e. the Bells case). This is legit.

The video really has no bearing on infringement - it’s legally harmless. It’s the equivalent of sending them a letter stating why he’s going to sue them."

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

A beer loving friend of mine does trademark law for the Fed and he said Stone absolutely has a strong case - this is what he told me:

"If you look at the presentation of the term “key STONE” on the cans and in other forms of advertising, you can appreciate why Greg Koch is pissed. Now, the fact that he made a YouTube video putting them on blast and championing the “we’re hardcore craft and not sellouts like others” is a little much imo. It’s not playing off an incidental, hardly used slogan (i.e. the Bells case). This is legit.

The video really has no bearing on infringement - it’s legally harmless. It’s the equivalent of sending them a letter stating why he’s going to sue them."

Yeah, having a product colloquially referred to as something and literally printing that on a can are two different things...

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay, I think I may take the Westy excursion off the list since it appears that anyone can just pick up a bottle, pretty much anywhere in Belgium (with a small premium).

What places have the Belgian travelers been to that are "can't misses?"

I've got Val Dieu on my list because the guys on the "Come and Brew It" Podcast couldn't say enough nice things about the place. We'll be in Brussels at least one or two nights, so it looks like I have to do 3 Fonteinen and Cantillon. After that, we'll want to go to some place like Bruges or Ghent.

Westmalle, Duvel, DuPoint, all seem to be within reasonable driving distance (as we will be renting a car and dropping it off in Cologne). Westveleteran and St. Bernardus seem to be out of the way given our scheduling.

Ideas, suggestions? Thanks guys.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Cantillon (duh)
Moeder Lambic
Drie Fonteinen lambik-o-droom
And of course the big must-do which is tough since the window is small: In de Verzekering tegen de Grote Dorst

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

nvm

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 23, 2018

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Go to the De Cam Cafe on Sunday and hang out with Karel

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Control Volume posted:

He never even drank a Stone until that video, much less had one thrown at him

If you are drunk enough to order for a Stone, does it matter what the bartender gives you?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Well you can’t buy goddamn beer to drink at home in Germany after 8pm cause all the stores are closed so keep that in mind if you come here. Had some kickass helles and dunkel so far though so things aren’t too bad.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

mmartinx posted:

Do they? I'm pretty sure I've gone there multiple times in one week when I was up there for vacation.

Also if you really want Westvleteren 12 you can buy a case for $200 + shipping here

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Lyon posted:

Do they? I'm pretty sure I've gone there multiple times in one week when I was up there for vacation.

Also if you really want Westvleteren 12 you can buy a case for $200 + shipping here

I find that kind of surprising, were you there when they released something limited? They’re pretty strict about it and when they take your credit card they make sure it matches the ID and they log it so people don’t do exactly what you described

http://hillfarmstead.com/faq/retail-shop/what-is-the-bottle-release-policy.html

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

mmartinx posted:

I find that kind of surprising, were you there when they released something limited? They’re pretty strict about it and when they take your credit card they make sure it matches the ID and they log it so people don’t do exactly what you described

Oh yeah for a specific release you can only buy one allotment regardless of how many times you go back, sorry about that, misunderstood what you meant.

I've actually been debating a cannonball run up there tonight since Flora BBRC is still available from last week and Juicy didn't sell out today. They had three good IPAs available in cans too but one sold out. $160 seems like a lot of money and a lot of effort for what will amount to about a case of beer in total though so I'll probably be lazy and not go.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

mmartinx posted:

Yeah, that's not what the Westy monks do. They basically put a time limit on your purchases. It would be like if HF said you can only get ANY beer from them every two months. So if you go up for a C&D release and 30 days later they released Juicy, you wouldn't get access.

Obviously it doesn't work for most breweries but I'd be all for it just to see nerds whine.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Apache posted:

It would almost have to be a destination brewery like that to be able to survive with a tap room limit. Seems like it would be counterproductive for a small local place though, since they want as much traffic as possible. Maybe Angry Chair could pull it off for bottle releases, though it would probably just encourage muling.

Any of the places with hundreds of people lining up and having to turn people away due to beer selling out would benefit from this sort of rule.

Lt_Tofu posted:

If you are drunk enough to order for a Stone, does it matter what the bartender gives you?

In Bizzarro world where the same bar is serving Keystone Light cans and Stone Brewing beer

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Lyon posted:

Oh yeah for a specific release you can only buy one allotment regardless of how many times you go back, sorry about that, misunderstood what you meant.

I've actually been debating a cannonball run up there tonight since Flora BBRC is still available from last week and Juicy didn't sell out today. They had three good IPAs available in cans too but one sold out. $160 seems like a lot of money and a lot of effort for what will amount to about a case of beer in total though so I'll probably be lazy and not go.

Do it, I just had a bottle of that batch of Flora this weekend it was incredible. I went the week before the Superbowl and it was a good week for bottles, flora madness and civilization and civil disobedience

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

LaserWash posted:

Okay, I think I may take the Westy excursion off the list since it appears that anyone can just pick up a bottle, pretty much anywhere in Belgium (with a small premium).

Reselling is officially not allowed but this doesn't seem to be a problem. You can find it in good bottle shops that have a large selection. In Leuven (near Brussels) a bottle was around 10€, in Amsterdam it's more like 16€. For Brussels I don't remember.
Picking up a crate is a lot cheaper per bottle but it seems to be a hassle and perhaps one or two bottles is fine anyway, you can fill out the rest with supermarket €2 St. Bernardus Abt 12 which tastes almost the same.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

MunchE posted:

Any of the places with hundreds of people lining up and having to turn people away due to beer selling out would benefit from this sort of rule.

being able to guarantee 100% sell-through out of your front door- which gives you a much higher margin than going through a distributor- is a pretty desirable business model

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Josh Wow posted:

Well you can’t buy goddamn beer to drink at home in Germany after 8pm cause all the stores are closed so keep that in mind if you come here. Had some kickass helles and dunkel so far though so things aren’t too bad.
Unless you're in a city with spätis which often have a large beer selection, at least in Berlin and former East Germany.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MunchE posted:

In Bizzarro world where the same bar is serving Keystone Light cans and Stone Brewing beer

Would love to live in that world to be honest.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MunchE posted:

i've been to plenty of dives that had keystone cans in the lowboy and stone IPA and/or arrogant bastard or whatever on tap

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Lyon posted:

well, you could also stock up on any number of their world class saisons, which is the real point in going in the first place imo

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Hauki posted:

i've been to plenty of dives that had keystone cans in the lowboy and stone IPA and/or arrogant bastard or whatever on tap

Yeah that’s not an uncommon scenario. It’s weird to me that so many of you haven’t been to those places.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Speaking of "stocking up on beer" there's this guy in SoFla, I think I've mentioned him before, who literally sells probably tens of thousands worth of beer on the secondary every year. Some other rear end in a top hat (for different reasons) tried to expose him for selling all the upcoming Wakefest beers at these absurd prices (Desperado, their not even close to as good Hunahpu, for 100 dollars at the cheap end). Wakefield laughed at the dude because anyone who knows him knows he's also a massive shitlord. Chase beer is terrible.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Any Madison, WI recommendations? Have a friend driving there and back for some reason, I'm imploring him to bring me some New Glarus fruit beers, but is there anywhere in town I should send him to drink while he's there?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Entropist posted:

€2 St. Bernardus Abt 12 which tastes almost the same.

This. Westy is good but most of the demand comes from some good reviews when it was relatively hard to get in the us. The same thing happened with Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil which was selling at premium values in the US for a while based on nothing but rarity.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

Phanatic posted:

Any Madison, WI recommendations? Have a friend driving there and back for some reason, I'm imploring him to bring me some New Glarus fruit beers, but is there anywhere in town I should send him to drink while he's there?

funk factory geuzeria

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

well, you could also stock up on any number of their world class saisons, which is the real point in going in the first place imo

Yeah I absolutely would buy tons of their shelf beer while I was there but I (or close friends) make it up HF multiple times per year. I have a ton of their readily available beers already so they aren't enough of a reason for a spontaneous trip to Vermont.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm missing this years Flora, it's been an annual trip up there this time of year and we always get a couple bottles. It's always outstandingly good. Blue/Black might be my favorite to date and I'm sad I only got 2 bottles.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

Lyon posted:

Yeah I absolutely would buy tons of their shelf beer while I was there but I (or close friends) make it up HF multiple times per year. I have a ton of their readily available beers already so they aren't enough of a reason for a spontaneous trip to Vermont.

oh, well, give them to me,

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Lt_Tofu posted:

Would love to live in that world to be honest.

If there are two things I love equally it is great beer and cheap beer. I would also love this.

Hauki posted:

You know you're probably right, for some reason in CA that poo poo is always mutually exclusive but I forget that in other parts of the country they tend to keep a cheap/bargain beer on even if they're carrying craft handles.

That being said Keystone light is also not very popular in CA at all and I've never, ever seen it in a bar on the west coast.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I saw keystone way more in Colorado than in Florida so maybe it's a Midwestern thing?

The discerning Florida man drinks natty light or diabeetus stouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

oh, well, give them to me,

Where are you located? Next time I go to Vermont I could grab you a few bottles if you don't have any sort of access to HF. Either cost + shipping or send me some random local stuff from your neck or the woods.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I saw keystone way more in Colorado than in Florida so maybe it's a Midwestern thing?

The discerning Florida man drinks natty light or diabeetus stouts.

Keystone is the low end Coors product so it would make sense that it is more prevalent in Colorado and surrounding areas. I don't think I've ever seen it on draft in Pennsylvania (I'm sure it is somewhere though) but it is certainly available at the beer distributors.