Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1203 and 04 are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

uh. where ahve you been dude.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Stairmaster posted:

uh. where ahve you been dude.

Speaking of which, 1209 of now out. No fan-translation of it yet but it's a lot of talking amongst the Kamogawa crew: http://netabare.city/archives/20032

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kamogawa and Yagi have a quick discussion about Ippo. Yagi appreciates that Ippo was the one that declared he was retiring, rather than making Kamogawa make him quit. They acknowledge that while Ippo wasn't punch drunk, he was dangerously on the verge, and that his decision to retire couldn't have been timed better. Kamogawa reflects on how Ippo helped him have a "good dream," and that he'll be the last boxer he'll produce.

Up on the roof, Aoki, Itagaki and Kimura have a conversation about Ippo. Itagaki is clearly upset by what's happened, and Kimura talks about how he once made the decision to make sure that when he's done boxing, that he doesn't leave with any regrets. Itagaki ponders if Ippo left with any regrets, but Kimura points out that only Ippo would know, and he sure looked happy as he waved goodbye. Aoki says he wishes he could've had one more spar with Ippo, at which point Takamura walks in, telling him that you can't go around hitting a punchdrunk broken man.

Itagaki asks him what he said to Ippo, and Takamura feigns ignorance. Kimura and Aoki agree that it would've been something designed to kick him when he's down, while pouring salt into his wounds. Takamura does not appreciate this. He then tells Itagaki that he asked Ippo if he found the treasure he was looking for when he embarked on his boxing adventure.

This cuts to Ippo looking at the falling leaves from last issue, and Ippo thinking about said "treasure," - his time spent boxing, with the highs and lows of his career superimposed over the leaves. We then get the official match record for his last match - 4th round, 2mins 45 seconds, 26 wins, 23 by knock-out, and 3 losses. Ippo Makunouchi - retired."

While this would be a fine point to finish, the text in the lower right states: "to be continued next issue."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It'll be a time skip and ippo has become a boxing trainer and its his boxer retiring punch drunk and the series ends

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo dies never crossing that line Takamura made.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Kamogawa and Yagi have a quick discussion about Ippo. Yagi appreciates that Ippo was the one that declared he was retiring, rather than making Kamogawa make him quit. They acknowledge that while Ippo wasn't punch drunk, he was dangerously on the verge, and that his decision to retire couldn't have been timed better. Kamogawa reflects on how Ippo helped him have a "good dream," and that he'll be the last boxer he'll produce.

Maybe Kamogawa should reflect that his boxing style is loving dumb and relying on your boxer to just tank his way to victory is not a good idea.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

next issue: ippo finally gets laid

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Good soup! posted:

next issue: ippo finally gets laid

Chapter after that: Ippo sprints to the gym to tell everyone he finally got together with Kumi, crosses the world line without even thinking about it.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Frabba posted:

Chapter after that: Ippo sprints to the gym to tell everyone he finally got together with Kumi, crosses the world line without even thinking about it.

He stays behind the line but his D crosses it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
1211: https://m.imgur.com/a/2gjOM

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Laughing my rear end off at Ippo's expression after manga friend (forget his name) says "Couldn't you be a pro boxer?!"

edit: This is going to end with Mari vs. Kumi being the last fight in the series.

I'm starting to think this might be permanent, since they seem to be playing up the "this is for the best" angle. I've actually been kind of pleased with how they've been dealing with this post-boxing period? It's been doing a pretty good job of showing both the regret/difficulty and the upsides to being free from the constant matches/obsession.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 14, 2018

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The rest of the manga will be Ippo drawing a "What If?" re-telling of Hajime no Ippo where Ippo was not coached by a concussion elemental

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
if hippo is happy with dating and being in love then hell, im happy too.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

goddamnit this suddenly got really good

how the gently caress

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Patware posted:

how the gently caress

it's ippo. it will definitely disappoint you eventually.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I KNOW

BUT THIS IS COOL THOUGH

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Is this perhaps taking a more autobiographical turn? I confess to not seeing this coming.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 15, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ippo becomes an award-winning manga artist when he draws a series about an untalented but tough and dedicated boxer who becomes world champion.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
He marries Kumi, inherits the Kamogawa Gym, and becomes Takamura's second as he continues his romp through all the world championship belts, slowly descending into a life of quiet desperation as he splits time between the fishing boat and the gym, until he finds himself, old and bowed by his boxing career, under that tree where he caught all the leaves, which has now been slated for removal because it died during the winter.

At which point the entire universe collapses in on itself, we get some weird-rear end collapsing fractal visuals that wouldn't look out of place in bad acid trip, capped by a thousand-handed iron-fisted Kamogawa Kannon, and then Ippo comes back to his senses in mid-count after taking that first down against Miyata, revealing it was all in his head the entire time, so we get Hajime no Ippo Kai or some poo poo I don't loving know anymore.

I'm kidding about all of that, by the way. This chapter was a pleasant surprise and laying the foundation for something that might still be readable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
retired and listless ippo is way more interesting than having him be punched in the head 300 times per match. so naturally, he is going to come out of retirement despite what a terrible idea that is on every level.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Patware posted:

I KNOW

BUT THIS IS COOL THOUGH

savor the moment. hell, we've earned it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
It's very telling when a manga ostensibly about boxing is most interesting when there's no boxing

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Needs more Ippo headbutting his opponents fist to break it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This is kinda nice. I hope it stays like this but let's face it, he's probably gonna pull a DATE ain't he.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What, you mean, come out of retirement for one last hurrah? I mean, he could.

I think most of my frustrations with the boxing content of this manga stem from a lack of following up on previously set plot lines. I'm still loving waiting on Ippo making the Heartbreak Shot his own after the Malcom Gedo fight, Morikawa! Don't tell me that was supposed to be the end of the plot line, instead of the adding of another tool to the arsenal!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What, you mean, come out of retirement for one last hurrah? I mean, he could.

What good would it do? Would Kamogawa even take him back, knowing how high-risk Ippo is to getting punch drunk?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kamogawa probably hasn't learned a drat thing and would be totally fine with ippo killing himself in the ring.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, if I were writing Ippo?

Ippo would have Date Eiji coaching him and teaching him the heartbreak shot, and fight for that gym.

Kamogawa wouldn't outright refuse to take Ippo back... he would bluster and be angry and kick the kid out and not want to see the kid's face around the gym, even if it's just a casual visit, in a misguided attempt to not have to convey his feelings. Ippo's going to be hurt by this, of course, but he's going to show some spine (for goddamn once) and go to his friends and ask who would help him train for a comeback, leading to Date.

But Kamogawa and Ippo aren't done yet. Ippo's going to be out doing roadwork, and Kamogawa will be standing there on that levee. He and Ippo would have a heartfelt moment where Kamogawa reveals that he knows that he can't be Ippo's second ever again. That Ippo reminds him too much of himself, and that he can't be a rational second.

Kamogawa may or may not collapse from Anime Blood-Coughing Disease (ABCD) at this point after having gotten this burden off his chest, and be hospitalized.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
this will all happen about 400 chapters from now

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ippo is gonna go back to Kamogawa let's not kid ourselves, there's been nothing in story of stating that it was his teaching that was wrong but Ippo lacking yamato damashii!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kamogawa's gonna watch the only son he ever had die in the ring while refusing to ever throw in the towel. he hasn't learned a drat thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd be a cool way to end the manga about Ippo adjusting to a normal life and not having such a singular driving focus.

That's not gonna happen though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kamogawa's gonna watch the only son he ever had die in the ring while refusing to ever throw in the towel. he hasn't learned a drat thing.

why would Takamura die in the ring? he's been doing pretty well so far

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

his next opponent is jiren.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Patware posted:

how the gently caress

Yeah, so far this is actually being dealt with in a pretty decent way that doesn't feel like the author suddenly awkwardly deciding to call it quits (which happens a lot with manga, either due to cancellation or the author losing interest).

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

retired and listless ippo is way more interesting than having him be punched in the head 300 times per match. so naturally, he is going to come out of retirement despite what a terrible idea that is on every level.

Well, the interesting part is that he isn't just listless. He feels regret and is having trouble adapting, but is also beginning to realize that maybe he missed out on a lot of things due to focusing on boxing 24/7 for all of his adult life.

My guess, if he isn't intending to end the manga soon, is that this will segue into Ippo returning to boxing with a "different outlook" or some such as a result of his time not boxing. I don't really want this to happen; I would rather he either adapt to non-boxing life or immediately seek out a way to make a comeback, but I find this "have your cake and eat it too" approach more likely.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I find it entirely likely that realizing there are things outside of boxing is exactly what's going to turn Ippo into a monster. He had no idea how insane his life was, looking from the outside in. If he goes back to boxing, he's going back in voluntarily making the choice the shun everything else out again. He's going to have a better understanding of the sacrifice he's making beyond "my brains get all piggly wiggly sometimes.:downs:"

I guess, to put it another way: it's super easy to have tunnel vision when all you've ever seen is a tunnel.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ippo becoming a seinen series and him being a serial killer targeting boxers is a dark turn that would get me reading again

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

He marries Kumi, inherits the Kamogawa Gym, and becomes Takamura's second as he continues his romp through all the world championship belts, slowly descending into a life of quiet desperation as he splits time between the fishing boat and the gym, until he finds himself, old and bowed by his boxing career, under that tree where he caught all the leaves, which has now been slated for removal because it died during the winter.

At which point the entire universe collapses in on itself, we get some weird-rear end collapsing fractal visuals that wouldn't look out of place in bad acid trip, capped by a thousand-handed iron-fisted Kamogawa Kannon, and then Ippo comes back to his senses in mid-count after taking that first down against Miyata, revealing it was all in his head the entire time, so we get Hajime no Ippo Kai or some poo poo I don't loving know anymore.

I'm kidding about all of that, by the way. This chapter was a pleasant surprise and laying the foundation for something that might still be readable.

This, but unironically, anf only back to Gonzalez after Kamogawa actually threw in the towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Ippo as a coach/trainer might be interesting.