Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ruzihm posted:

that was a helpful, if morbid, explanation. thanks

thank you, I try :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Dad Dead, So Rich

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder if it indicates anything that the last few days have all opened with selloffs before recovering at the close of trading

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder if it indicates anything that the last few days have all opened with selloffs before recovering at the close of trading

Soon.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

cmoooon inflation, hit 3% babbbbyyyy

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also their paygrades are all hosed compared to the private sector for engineers and whatnot which has resulted in the rise of contracting out everything and is even loving up recruitment for the astronaut corps

I would do any job at NASA for 28k and health insurance

For real though, now that we know that all the information in the information economy is bullshit, does that make the economy do bad?

Lastly, I just can't wait for everyone's life to become a pathetic ruin.

Egg Moron fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 15, 2018

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Over Easy posted:

I would do any job at NASA for 28k and health insurance

I know right? I'd love to be like a janitor or mail guy at Cape Canaveral or something. Chatting it up with flight engineers and such. "Hey dude! Launch day! You seem stressed, i'm gonna go fix a toilet then watch the show, laters"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/crampell/status/964172098359975937

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany were geared for total war - these "civilians" turned in their neighbors, politely watched genocide happen in their midst, and used their labor to advance the goals of their governments. At the very, very, very least, some people were hostages, but for the vast majority, there is no distinction, and the killing of fascists is an unambiguous moral good.

Whoa hey the Crazy Forwards thread is that-away, can we confine the Adventures of Gradenko's Friend to that thread tia

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/964179756093792258

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

http://audreyii-fic.tumblr.com/post/170886347853/the-entirely-unnecessary-demise-of-barnes-noble

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I wonder how long it will be before lefties buy put contracts against companies before organizing strikes there and then using proceeds to fund the strike to last longer than it would otherwise.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ruzihm posted:

I wonder how long it will be before lefties buy put contracts against companies before organizing strikes there and then using proceeds to fund the strike to last longer than it would otherwise.

that would be amoral friendo, no way we can deploy capitalisms loopholes in our efforts to protect people from capitalism

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

that would be amoral friendo, no way we can deploy capitalisms loopholes in our efforts to protect people from capitalism

turns out this is actually how soros pays 4 antifa :eyepop:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Ruzihm posted:

How does this work?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oh man that would reawaken the long-dead SEC insider trading enforcement so fast

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ruzihm posted:

lol they'd get smacked down by the SEC for insider trading so fast. organized labor has enough targets on them as it is

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Ruzihm posted:

Huh. Hm....

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

How does this work?

how a put option works:

:ancap: : Verizon owns, I bet the stock wont go below $40 for the next month
:ussr: : Nah, it's gonna go lower.
:ancap: : :wrong: Actually, it's going to go way higher.
:ussr: : K. I'll give u $100 now if you agree to buy 500 verizon stock from me at $39 at the end of the month or earlier--- but only if I like.
:ancap: : sweet. Easy 100 bucks for me because there's no way it'll go below $39. *writes put option*
:ussr: : Ok deal. *buys the option*
*price goes down to 35 bux*
:ussr: : *buys 500 stock at $35* Ok u idiot, buy these stocks from me for $39. :boom:
:ancap: : :qq:

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol they'd get smacked down by the SEC for insider trading so fast. organized labor has enough targets on them as it is

ya I kind of assumed this. im definitely not volunteering lmao

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 15, 2018

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

oh man that would reawaken the long-dead SEC insider trading enforcement so fast

"for my friends, everything. for my enemies, the law."

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah, need to plant "Communists And Black Lives Matter Are Shorting The Market So They Can Buy Guns When It Crashes" stories to get some actual financial regulation

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

How does this work?

a put contract is a so-called option that when you buy it you buy the right to sell 100 shared of stock in company X for Y dollars at or before a given date in the future

if the company's stock price Z is worth more than Y then the put is not worth a lot but if Z is less than Y then the put is worth (at least) Z-Y times the number of shares dollars

e: read ruzihm's post its way better

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

im_an_accelerationist.gif

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is a good blog post

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Ruzihm posted:

how a put option works:

:ancap: : Verizon owns, I bet the stock wont go below $40 for the next month
:ussr: : Nah, it's gonna go lower.
:ancap: : :wrong: Actually, it's going to go way higher.
:ussr: : K. I'll give u $100 now if you agree to buy 500 verizon stock from me at $39 at the end of the month, or earlier if I like.
:ancap: : sweet I'll make so much money cus I'll get these stocks for $39 when they'll be way higher. *writes put option*
:ussr: : Ok deal. *buys the option*
*price goes down to 35 bux*
:ussr: : *buys 500 stock at $35* Ok u idiot, buy these stocks from me for $39. :boom:
:ancap: : :qq:

ya I kind of assumed this. im definitely not volunteering lmao

My friend in finance has informed that it is materially non public information and that neither side could be charged with insider trading, so get to it boys

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

If it is material non-public information then it would be insider trading if insider trading on an stock option is an actual thing. You might be able to argue that the option itself is entirely contractual and insider trading only applies to sales or purchases of the stock itself and by the time you are buying and selling stock all of the relevant information has already been made public. There might be a rule specifically to prevent this though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

speaking of. eugen, a french video game company with some cool spergy rts games, just had a bunch of employees go on strike

quote:

We relay below the statement written by our fellow strikers Paris studio Eugen Systems. Act of Strike

On February 14, 2018, we, 21 employees of Eugen Systems, decided to go on strike. At this time we might be tempted to say that we preferred to flatter the loved one instead of returning, as it should, to our workplace. It is not so, even if we are animated by a certain passion which it is on the other hand tinged with fury.

It has now been nearly fifteen months since we have been discussing with management serious violations of our rights. Like anyone else in our place, we assumed that dialogue, arguments and reason would be more effective than direct confrontation. After all an employer should be able to understand that the law is what it is, and that it is legitimate for its employees to demand that it be applied, including to their advantage. In front of the wall that was opposed to us during the first six months of negotiations, we were forced to call on a lawyer to remind the law of our employer. Remember that minimum wages are not subject to negotiation and that neither our qualification, nor our employment contract nor the law is more so. Requests that are far from the unacceptable. For any answer we had promises, "everything will be settled" we were told. Naive as we are, we believed it.

More naïve still, we continued to believe many more months, but the morning of February 14 we went to evidence that no longer escaped many people: too much is too much.

Arriving at the office, each of us was able to discover several mails on his professional box: first a collective mail telling us that our overtime, unpaid until now, a subject of litigation since the beginning, n ' would have been absent from our payslips only through the fault of our two successive payroll managers. In short, what we presented as an infringement of our rights is now presented to us as an administrative error. Thus, our gross salary has decreased to justify our overtime without regulating us by one cent. Even though these new gross wages are regarded as several employees below legal minimums.

In addition, a number of employees were told in another email that the conditions specifically mentioned in their employment contract, as well as in the collective agreement, were not recognized as legitimate by management. The latter justifies in this respect not to attribute to them the grades, salaries and associated benefits. What a joy for example for a developer bac +4 with several years of experience and an engineer position, than to arrive one morning and see that he now has the status and the rank of technician, with a salary that will together.

This new leak in front of the management has set fire to the powder: the refusal to pay us as required by law, and faced with the obvious lack of consideration for the value of our work, we arrived at the conclusion that, to be heard, we had no option but to go on strike.

We did not want the conflict, and we were even ready to accept a number of compromises. But faced with such a lack of respect, all we have to do is use our most fundamental rights which, if we do not solve all the problems we face, will, hopefully, have the merit of to draw the attention of players, public opinion or elected officials to the catastrophic situation of the industry for which we work.

Striking employees of Eugen Systems who, if it is necessary to call him back, are not NPCs

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

speaking of. eugen, a french video game company with some cool spergy rts games, just had a bunch of employees go on strike

:swoon:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

The Kingfish posted:

If it is material non-public information then it would be insider trading if insider trading on an stock option is an actual thing. You might be able to argue that the option itself is entirely contractual and insider trading only applies to sales or purchases of the stock itself and by the time you are buying and selling stock all of the relevant information has already been made public. There might be a rule specifically to prevent this though.

sorry, I missed a not, it's not MNPI. he also said, technically, you could do a put on a stock and then bomb their physical building, and it still wouldn't be insider trading

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

sorry, I missed a not, it's not MNPI. he also said, technically, you could do a put on a stock and then bomb their physical building, and it still wouldn't be insider trading

ohh ok that makes more sense

also lol if the response to something like that happening being that they make striking as illegal as bombing :nutshot:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Fear is Dead

pack it up folks

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

:thunk: yes, now that fear is finally dead it can only goupupupup

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the invisible, rational hand of the free market baby, gotta love it

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
great news for the war on terror!!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we're in a Growth Economy boys

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
“I mustn’t fear. Fear is the Market Killer”

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
the market will remain irrational until capitalism is insolvent and reality reasserts itself.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

mads mikkelsen breathes a sigh of relief

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

love that macron labor market flexibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

insider trading on knowledge of an upcoming union action is the plot of wall street (the movie)