Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In general the Big Tech companies are more interested in hiring for general competence than they are in hiring for specific skills. If you have specific skills they want, then great, otherwise, they'll be happy to mold you into whatever they need.

(And this isn't to say that getting hired/rejected by a big tech company is an indicator of competence necessarily; the hiring process is pretty noisy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All I know is that I sucked poo poo at the string processing and graph traversal screening questions, to the point where I got discouraged in the middle of it and the interviewer was audibly wincing.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I rescind my comments. He definitely does. Super positive meeting with near-immediate change happening and if I'm not happy after that, there are a few roles that will be open for a while (multiple roles on multiple teams) that they'd be glad to put me on.

galaxy brain: after announcing the new tech lead as the official New Tech Lead for the team the old mana*er is now basically a senior engineer with lots of control and the same title

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Orkiec posted:

Blind is a good place to find that the sky is falling down, a month ago everyone was panicking about them bringing stack-ranking back (they haven't).

True, but they corroborated the press and that layoffs were only in the low hundreds. It's not like thousands of engineers were suddenly laid off.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Pollyanna posted:

What does Amazon hire for these days, anyway? I can't see a typical fullstack web dev being all that useful to Amazon's AI and robotics-level projects (ask me about failing an Amazon interview).

my ex worked in rails web dev and got hired by amazon (being an ex and getting hired by amazon are connected btw, amazon is a really cool company until it steals your girlfriend) to work on silk. she was a bio undergrad and had only worked as a developer for a couple of years but she was really bright and i think that had something to do with the interview going well.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 15, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

my ex worked in rails web dev and got hired by amazon (being an ex and getting hired by amazon are connected btw, amazon is a really cool company until it steals your girlfriend) to work on silk. she was a bio undergrad and had only worked as a developer for a couple of years but she was really bright and i think that had something to do with the interview going well.

Luckily I'm single so that's not a concern.

I kinda ate poo poo with the Amazon interview because I failed the string processing and graph theory questions. I was completely unprepared for those kinds of questions cause they were something I'd never done before. It seems like those kinds of questions are the screener for Amazon, but I don't quite understand why they ask them. I should review those questions and grind them out (that and graph theory/etc.), but I just don't run into those problems often enough to justify learning them.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Pollyanna posted:

All I know is that I sucked poo poo at the string processing and graph traversal screening questions, to the point where I got discouraged in the middle of it and the interviewer was audibly wincing.

What were the questions?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Munkeymon posted:

What were the questions?

I remember for the graph traversal question, I needed to get the sibling of any particular node immediately to the right (e.g., parent’s parent’s right sibling’s child’s leftmost child). I had absolutely no idea how to do it and cracked under the pressure.

For strings, find the largest unique substring with no character repeats.

They’re fairly simple, but I just couldn’t and still can’t do them.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Pollyanna posted:

I remember for the graph traversal question, I needed to get the sibling of any particular node immediately to the right (e.g., parent’s parent’s right sibling’s child’s leftmost child). I had absolutely no idea how to do it and cracked under the pressure.

For strings, find the largest unique substring with no character repeats.

They’re fairly simple, but I just couldn’t and still can’t do them.

i've seen both those before, and been asked them on interviews

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-right-sibling-binary-tree-parent-pointers/

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/length-of-the-longest-substring-without-repeating-characters/

would i freeze up if the problem were entirely new (or even now without prepping tbh)?
yes
the reason my ex-girlfriend works at amazon now is she bought a bunch of these books that were filled with these problems, worked through them all in a couple of months, and got lucky in that everything that was asked was something she already studied (although she got better at this bullshit by working through them I imagine)
people are not creative when it comes to interview questions and there seems to be a finite set of what people will ask in interviews, but it's not some innate thing that you either have or you don't.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I've gotten the string one and it's laughably easy once you practice these things or work with strings/arrays long enough. I could figure the tree one out in an interview but it'd take me some time. That said Poly why don't you start... doing practice like this? Then post here (or, I guess the Newbie thread because it'd be more beneficial) about where you're getting stuck. People would be more than happy to help.

The one thing that really trips me up in an interview still is problems like n-queens.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

(being an ex and getting hired by amazon are connected btw, amazon is a really cool company until it steals your girlfriend)

this is the only story that matters in this thread btw

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

FamDav posted:

this is the only story that matters in this thread btw

did you miss the part where i got shitfaced and hosed a vp level exec at my company's insane drug-filled holiday party literally hours before meeting with the head of HR to discuss how i was't happy with management

e; this is not a brag, i regretted the decision immensely at the time and even further after i found out she was engaged

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 15, 2018

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

I've gotten the string one and it's laughably easy once you practice these things or work with strings/arrays long enough. I could figure the tree one out in an interview but it'd take me some time. That said Poly why don't you start... doing practice like this? Then post here (or, I guess the Newbie thread because it'd be more beneficial) about where you're getting stuck. People would be more than happy to help.

The one thing that really trips me up in an interview still is problems like n-queens.
Here is the ideal solution to n-queens

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it strange to have long hours (50+ expected) as a dealbreaker? There’s an opportunity that might be good but they hammered home the “everyone works hard” thing in the interviews and some weird culture stuff came out. I feel like I would burn out quickly on that.

What the gently caress

Y...yeah I should probably practice now that I know what I’m dealing with :negative: I think I got a book of common interview questions so I can work through that.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 15, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Y...yeah I should probably practice now that I know what I’m dealing with :negative: I think I got a book of common interview questions so I can work through that.
I mean you were told what to review already, but sure, act surprised.

Pollyanna posted:

Somehow Amazon is at least passingly interested in me (I have no idea why), so they want to set up a phone/online interview to cover "coding, data structures, and operating systems fundamentals, as well as design questions". I have no idea what this will cover and I'm not exactly expecting to pass it, but has anyone done Amazon's phone screens? What do they usually cover?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Amazon's usually not too difficult, at least not for the first round. Basic data structures, basic graph and tree algorithms, threads, etc. -- typical CtCI stuff.
CtCI isn’t very fun to work through. If you don’t have the background already that some employers are looking for in their interviews (justified or not) and you still want to work for those companies, then you just have to sit down and do it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 15, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Is it strange to have long hours (50+ expected) as a dealbreaker?

No, gently caress that.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

CtCI isn’t very fun to work through.

Respectfully disagree! There's nothing better than feeling like you "get" problems you've been working to get comfortable solving for a while.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's nothing better than feeling like you "get" problems you've been working to get comfortable solving for a while.
I’d argue that nailing said problems in an actual interview is a better feeling.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress

Learning Haskell is a mind-altering experience.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

I’d argue that nailing said problems in an actual interview is a better feeling.

Maybe, but, the first part is definitely a dependency :)

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

I love this post and will re-read it every single time I see it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Interviewing is a skill, and solving interview problems is also a skill. They can, and should, be practiced. They're not necessarily very useful skills, except for the bit where they are a huge factor in determining whether or not you get a job.

And yes, this does mean that there are highly-skilled devs out there that would be an asset to any team, except they suck at interviewing so they don't get hired. And that's unfortunate.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
50+ hours/week in a vacuum is kind of meaningless outside of "does the person have the stamina for it." Whether or not it's a deal breaker depends on the role, the industry and the compensation, as well as the candidate.

I'm older (late 40's) but I'd probably do it for big tech co. level compensation, benefits, and perks, assuming that I had some say in what 50 hours/week I was working as well as a solid termination agreement that made sure I was well taken care of if they let me go.

If I had kids or other dependents, then almost certainly not. If the compensation weren't staggeringly high, then definitely not.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The hard part of CtCI-style prep for me was always replicating the interview environment, not working through the problems. I'd lock up in interviews only to come home and write down the obvious solution in five minutes.

Mniot posted:

I love this post and will re-read it every single time I see it.

It's really delightful but has the side effect of making me feel dumb as hell :(

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Interviewing is a skill, and solving interview problems is also a skill. They can, and should, be practiced. They're not necessarily very useful skills, except for the bit where they are a huge factor in determining whether or not you get a job.

And yes, this does mean that there are highly-skilled devs out there that would be an asset to any team, except they suck at interviewing so they don't get hired. And that's unfortunate.

Interviewing isn't exactly a useful skill as an end unto itself, but it is a synthesis of many skills that are generally useful in life. Getting better at the underlying skills will make you better at interviewing & will also improve your life in general.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

Interviewing isn't exactly a useful skill as an end unto itself, but it is a synthesis of many skills that are generally useful in life. Getting better at the underlying skills will make you better at interviewing & will also improve your life in general.

Sure, the reason why companies interview is because they assume that to be good at interviewing, you must be also good at other skills that the company values, like being able to communicate clearly and think through problems. I just meant (and communicated poorly :v:) that there's some additional skills that are tested when doing interviews that aren't otherwise usually relevant in your day-to-day. In particular, being able to think quickly on your feet, present a simple answer quickly, and then rapidly refine on that simple answer (to handle new requirements / optimizations). In a normal development environment you generally have at least a few hours to think about this kind of stuff, rather than needing to come up with an answer in a minute or two.

I also don't run into graph theory or dynamic programming in my day-to-day very often, but they show up all the time in interviews.

But practicing interviewing, and practicing solving interview problems, will absolutely train your communications and problem-solving skills, and those are generally useful.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

raminasi posted:

The hard part of CtCI-style prep for me was always replicating the interview environment, not working through the problems. I'd lock up in interviews only to come home and write down the obvious solution in five minutes.

It's really delightful but has the side effect of making me feel dumb as hell :(

I bought a whiteboard and would solve problems on that while explaining to my wife what I was doing. She had no idea what I was talking about but it got me used to explaining my thought process.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Skandranon posted:

Public speaking, listening, problem solving, and adapting to novel conditions quickly are just a few of those things, yeah, and all of them are tremendously helpful to be able to do.

Re: CtCl: Anyone have tips on keeping yourself motivated while working through it?

I recently looked at the "entry level" questions for the Google interviewing process and, despite having had a pretty good career in dev so far, came away with an acute case of impostor syndrome.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

metztli posted:

Re: CtCl: Anyone have tips on keeping yourself motivated while working through it?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The problem with interviewing isn't algorithm questions anymore, in my opinion. Nor is it take-home assignments. It's arbitrary "system design" interviews that are insanely easy to grade subjectively. This is not to say they're an issue everywhere, but a lot of places (places I've worked included) are not as forgiving as others*.

*Want their answers and nothing else. Are you an expert who designed Instagram? gently caress no bitch otherwise you wouldn't be interviewing someone.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Pollyanna posted:

It seems like those kinds of questions are the screener for Amazon, but I don't quite understand why they ask them.

The reason big mega-companies interview like this is because they hire for general "problem solving skills" (or at least believe they do) and so don't care if you know a specific technology or domain. They expect you to work there for a while and think it will pay off to just invest in training you on the job whatever you need to learn. But they still need a common language with the candidate to build their questions on and have settled on graphs/trees/strings/etc. Probably because they can expect most college hires to have some background there from their education (which is definitely unfair to those coming to the industry from a different background).

Google is the best about communicating this fact to candidates. They are very upfront about the exact set of data structures and algorithms you should know and fine with giving you a few weeks to study up on them before the interview. But it's just as true at Amazon and Microsoft: you have to go into the interview comfortable with all the topics in CtCI. And the only way to get there is to study.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

did you miss the part where i got shitfaced and hosed a vp level exec at my company's insane drug-filled holiday party literally hours before meeting with the head of HR to discuss how i was't happy with management

e; this is not a brag, i regretted the decision immensely at the time and even further after i found out she was engaged

How big is the company?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

return0 posted:

How big is the company?

69 peopple

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nice

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The hero we deserve :allears:

return0
Apr 11, 2007

I ask because the bigger the company, the more interesting an event this is.

I mean, 69, Nice!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jose Valasquez posted:

I bought a whiteboard and would solve problems on that while explaining to my wife what I was doing. She had no idea what I was talking about but it got me used to explaining my thought process.

I can explain my thought process fine. (Or at least, trying to do it didn't bother me.) It's the pressure that got to me. I suspect that if I hadn't been in desperate need of a job at the time it would have been much easier. (So much job hunting advice only applies if "no new job" is an acceptable outcome for you.)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I did something similar when I started my first job. She wasn't VP, but she was a senior resource manager (think supply chain for people and projects around the country). This was during training for which the company brought in people from several offices to Boston for a week to get all the HR poo poo out of the way. Everyone was drunk and high the entire time. We didn't realize we were in the same office until the last day. That's when she told me she was married.

When we started everyone in the office already what had happened. We denied everything, but continued; she would send me to other offices with the cool projects that lasted weeks at a time, then found a reason to be there as well). Ahhh the dot com days. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Thoughts on places with unlimited vacation? I'm aware of the risk and culture that can lead to people taking hardly any, looking for first hand experience (either way)?