Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i'm up to about 175 systems visited out of my 285 system road to riches journey and im already theory crafting ships that i will never actually be able to buy since i will jump directly into a black hole in system 284

when i get back i want to get combat vouchers for the engineer that wants combat vouchers, is this a federal assault ship that will do the job in a combat zone without getting its rear end shot off (i have no clue what to put in the low class optional slots except armor plating) https://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_...gun%20pig%20fas

Am I missing something? If you jump into a black hole at the end, won't you lose all your exploration data and thus all the money that you'd get from RtR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

That... really puts things in perspective.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I have completed a trek through Sol. It is a nice place to visit. Even my girlfriend, who isn’t much into either space or video games, got a kick out of seeing how much work was put into some of the planets and moons. The moons of Jupiter and Neptune are some very legit sources of rare grade 5 resources. I think the only resource I could not find, despite it being in abundance, was mercury.

Venus

Earth - North America at night

Mars - it has been terraformed

Jupiter - I don’t think the rings are this visible in real life

Saturn - as seen from Enceladus.

Uranus - the first moon here, Ariel, is amazing and does not gently caress around at all. A must see.

Neptune -

This is triton, it is a permit locked moon near Neptune, I do not know why but considering all that green... thargoid haven? Area 51?

Finally, my favorite pic, Pluto and Charon chilling together far out there

I think when beyond lands, revisiting these planets and moons may have to be a thing. They are already some of the most detailed moons I’ve ever seen in this game.

Edit: do not go visit the capital ship above mars. I do not know why but as soon as I got near it (it is the president’s capital ship) I was targeted and immediately destroyed.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 15, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SterlingSylver posted:

Am I missing something? If you jump into a black hole at the end, won't you lose all your exploration data and thus all the money that you'd get from RtR?
i didn't say anything about wanting to jump into the black hole

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

SterlingSylver posted:

Yes. They were displaying cynicism.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Edit: do not go visit the capital ship above mars. I do not know why but as soon as I got near it (it is the president’s capital ship) I was targeted and immediately destroyed.

I buzzed around it for about 10 minutes like an annoying fly and no problems. I was in a Federal Gunship but I don't think that should make a difference.
Edit: Oh wait, maybe I was flying around a capital ship near earth...not sure now.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 15, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

jubjub64 posted:

I buzzed around it for about 10 minutes like an annoying fly and no problems. I was in a Federal Gunship but I don't think that should make a difference.
Edit: Oh wait, maybe I was flying around a capital ship near earth...not sure now.
It was possible if you visited them some time ago. ED later changed it in some patch and made capital ships attack you if you flew too near to them.

Edit: well, that's interesting, maybe I will visit that capital ship again

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 15, 2018

timn
Mar 16, 2010
They will also warn you on comms to please back off before opening fire, but it's easy to filter out if you're used to ignoring the comms window 99% of the time.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Dwesa posted:

It was possible if you visited them some time ago. ED later changed it in some patch and made capital ships attack you if you flew too near to them.

This was like two days ago.
Edit: Doing some reasearch and the one above Earth doesn't fire on you but the President's ship will.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 15, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I tried again in an eagle with no bounties or anything on me and yes can confirm get too close to space ship 1 and you’ll die. This wasn’t a problem with the earth capital ship, I parked my anaconda nearly on top of it for a picture. Must just be the president’s ship.

The history lessons are kind of cool in Sol. I like how they changed the presidency to a single 8 year term with the chance to be voted out of office for being lovely at the 4th year. No midterm election, just expulsion. They also removed the word “America” from Federation of the Americas to shorten it to just The Federation, because by that time ”America” carried too many negative historical connotations to stay in the title.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is there any point to doing a small road to riches before you have an advanced discovery scanner and a surface scanner? Or should I grind missions until I can buy those before bothering?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Is there any point to doing a small road to riches before you have an advanced discovery scanner and a surface scanner? Or should I grind missions until I can buy those before bothering?

You can do road to riches without the surface scanner, but you're wasting your time without the Adv. discovery scanner.

Just do missions till you can afford one.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Eldragon posted:

You can do road to riches without the surface scanner, but you're wasting your time without the Adv. discovery scanner.

Just do missions till you can afford one.

Okay. The adv discovery scanner is the 1.5 mil one so I was hoping it would be a way to grind that up more quickly than missions. Might as well get both then because the surface scanner is only like 2-300,000 thousand iirc.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dwesa posted:

ED later changed it in some patch and made capital ships attack you if you flew too near to them.

I'm pretty sure why they changed this was the brown sea bitching that people could 'farm' off of cap ships in combat zones. So of course let's just make a bubble around them so you can't actually get close to them :v:

BEFORE that though it was loving rad as hell to just combat zone buzzing around a cap ship that was friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Id-nlHjvZI

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Pretty sure you can still get up close in a CZ if you've actually selected that ship's faction, but if you're neutral they'll take offense. The real reason to steer clear of friendly capital ships in a CZ is that they'll consistently steal credit for kills.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

KakerMix posted:

BEFORE that though it was loving rad as hell to just combat zone buzzing around a cap ship that was friendly.

That reminds me that arrival of cap ships to CZs is one of those great things in this game. It looks and sounds like Cthulhu is entering into our dimension.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Moments before death
https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/964212970153639936

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

KakerMix posted:

I'm pretty sure why they changed this was the brown sea bitching that people could 'farm' off of cap ships in combat zones. So of course let's just make a bubble around them so you can't actually get close to them :v:

What they did to ruin that cool piece of gameplay was having the capital ship count as a player for last-hit purposes instead of an NPC. So you have to compete to get the last hit with the capital ship for every kill. Cool combat experience with a great art asset turned into avoid cool art asset at all costs. "Awesome my faction has deployed a capital ship to this conflict!" turned to "poo poo my faction has deployed a capital ship to this conflict, this combat zone is now useless".

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
A few pages ago someone mentioned fitting out a Python for farming civvies from thargoid busted stations?

Assuming no engineering, what loadout would people suggest? How many passenger cabins etc.

Edit: assume I'm starting from a pre-horizons fully A rated combat python.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
From the last page, but if you buy on Steam you can use your steam wallet to buy cosmetics through the fdev store which means you can turn your steam trading cards into purple lasers!
:eng101:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
New video from Isinona:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHQMdJGyMvM

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DatonKallandor posted:

What they did to ruin that cool piece of gameplay was having the capital ship count as a player for last-hit purposes instead of an NPC. So you have to compete to get the last hit with the capital ship for every kill. Cool combat experience with a great art asset turned into avoid cool art asset at all costs. "Awesome my faction has deployed a capital ship to this conflict!" turned to "poo poo my faction has deployed a capital ship to this conflict, this combat zone is now useless".

Right yeah my mistake. You can still get close but it's against your wishes as a player to do so since you have to weigh grind vs cool stuff.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I bought this game around when Horizons came out, but never got around to playing it. Is the OP still relevant or are there new things I should be aware of?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Mr Darcy posted:

A few pages ago someone mentioned fitting out a Python for farming civvies from thargoid busted stations?

Assuming no engineering, what loadout would people suggest? How many passenger cabins etc.

Edit: assume I'm starting from a pre-horizons fully A rated combat python.

You only really need as many economy class passenger cabins as you can handle, a size 2-3 cargo bay for commodities from the missions, an fsd to get there, a shield generator in case you run into something, and a heat sink. Pop the heat sink on the way in as well as the way out. Scoop up as many passengers as you can fit. Profit. It’s really fun for a couple of missions and only gets boring after a day or two, since it is quite exciting. It actually makes decent money and you get a ton of engineering materials.

I was using a type 7 or something, whatever the boxy rear end freighter is. Really whatever you can use that can hold as many passenger bays as possible is the way to go.

Playing this in open is fun to see the number of players that are also evacuating people but you’ll end up waiting for a landing pad spot.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Blind Rasputin posted:

You only really need as many economy class passenger cabins as you can handle, a size 2-3 cargo bay for commodities from the missions, an fsd to get there, a shield generator in case you run into something, and a heat sink. Pop the heat sink on the way in as well as the way out. Scoop up as many passengers as you can fit. Profit. It’s really fun for a couple of missions and only gets boring after a day or two, since it is quite exciting. It actually makes decent money and you get a ton of engineering materials.

I was using a type 7 or something, whatever the boxy rear end freighter is. Really whatever you can use that can hold as many passenger bays as possible is the way to go.

Playing this in open is fun to see the number of players that are also evacuating people but you’ll end up waiting for a landing pad spot.

What's the pay like? I just thermal-engineered my Python for fun and it sounds like she'd be perfect at it.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have completed a trek through Sol. It is a nice place to visit. Even my girlfriend, who isn’t much into either space or video games, got a kick out of seeing how much work was put into some of the planets and moons. The moons of Jupiter and Neptune are some very legit sources of rare grade 5 resources. I think the only resource I could not find, despite it being in abundance, was mercury.

Earth - North America at night

That's South America there, my guy.

Edit: If you were looking at it the other way around, then yeah, this would be North America.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
If any goons are lurking and debating buying this space game in space, it's on sale on Steam right now for $7.50.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So the thargoids are one week away from the bubble. The new CG is about ramping up military efforts and designing new tech to fight them. I really hope they deliver on all this we need capitol ships fighting thargoid motherships in conflict zones.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I have been summoned. Also, I haven't read this thread for like half a year. I assume I haven't missed anything big right :v:

e: on second thought, actual content: The two jacked up stations calling for resources and evacuations right now... what faction are they?

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 16, 2018

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

I have been summoned. Also, I haven't read this thread for like half a year. I assume I haven't missed anything big right :v:

Yeah, I'm out in the black right now but I'm curious about the whole burning station thing. Details and such. At the edge of the galaxy, where you look out and see no stars because there are no more, small interactions with those back home are important.
But seriously, like do you go in to the station and burn while you accept missions or how does it work? And how does it pay?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Pay is decent enough if you like active play and is one of the better consistent forms of money since the long distance passenger stuff got hosed. It works like a normal station except there's fire and a bit of debris and you'll quickly take tons of heat while entering/leaving. While docked with the station you don't take any damage and just take passengers through missions from the board like normal. You then low-wake quickly across to a rescue ship and drop them off normally before repeating the cycle. It's fun for a while and isn't particularly hard if you have heat sink launchers and are good at landing quickly.

The biggest perk is all the passengers go to the same rescue ship and every mission is non-vip so you can slam pack the hold without having to boardflip.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

xoFcitcrA posted:

Yeah, I'm out in the black right now but I'm curious about the whole burning station thing. Details and such. At the edge of the galaxy, where you look out and see no stars because there are no more, small interactions with those back home are important.
But seriously, like do you go in to the station and burn while you accept missions or how does it work? And how does it pay?

Oh, I'm probably the wrong dude to ask about the details, because I'm an ultra casual who doesn't understand engineers or factions or powerplay or anything, but the station missions seem cool as heck. I just did my first one tonight. You fly in (I got interdicted by system security saying "This is a military operation" but gently caress those guys) and request emergency docking from the station. As soon as you fly through the half-ruined mailslot you start overheating, and when you land your systems start going loving apeshit like you've got a hold full of thargoid turds or whatever, it's really cool. I filled my passenger hold and left, because there's not much else to do (the whole interior is flashing red lights, ruined buildings, and a barely functional starport services interface) and dumped those dumb non-spaceship-having fucks at the nearby rescue ship. I honestly didn't keep track of how it paid, but I think it said it had crazy rep bonuses.

It's really cool and atmospheric and Frontier did a great job (as always) making it sound like you're in a dying space station, even down to the flight control guy sounding scared shitless. "Immersion" is a dirty word, but that was the most "into" Elite I think I've ever been. Probably not a lot of fun if you do them over and over and over again, but definitely worth checking out if you can still do it when you get back to civilized space.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This dumb space game is going to get me to drop like 200 bucks on a gimmicky buttkicker or equivalent and eventually like 700 on a VR headset. No game has ever made we want a VR headset so bad.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Cool! I'm on the outer rim but I'm gonna go check that out when I get back! That sounds neat and I love rescue!

e: thank you both

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 16, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

xoFcitcrA posted:

xoFcitcrA posted:

Cool! I'm on the outer rim but I'm gonna go check that out when I get back! That sounds neat and I love rescue!

e: thank you both

Wow this gimmick loving sucks

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

This dumb space game is going to get me to drop like 200 bucks on a gimmicky buttkicker or equivalent and eventually like 700 on a VR headset. No game has ever made we want a VR headset so bad.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I ain't got the money, but the same thought has crossed my mind many times.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Wow this gimmick loving sucks

It's better than my old gimmick of "being not particularly funny or interesting". I figure birds would help.

... I like this gimmick... :ohdear:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What the gently caress.

And I was worried my screenshots were going to get annoying but.

Man, just stop.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Blind Rasputin posted:

What the gently caress.

And I was worried my screenshots were going to get annoying but.

Man, just stop.

No, your screenshots are great and inspired me to head on out to the black but :negative:

edit: gently caress it

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xoFcitcrA posted:

No, your screenshots are great and inspired me to head on out to the black but :negative:

edit: gently caress it

Man your posting has gone to the birds :dadjoke:

• Locked thread