Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the star death. star murderer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A star killer if you will.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Although it was not named The Terror Sphere, it was a terror sphere.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Could the original Death Star have killed a star? I mean, probably, or at least damage it so much it's effectively dead. But they never really tried.

I did like that the Starkiller Base killed a star as a result of powering up.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The next Star War should have some kind of super weapon that can destroy entire systems by making a star go supernova.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Maybe they’ll invent a Super Death Star that kills the whole galaxy and we’ll finally be free of all this Star War

just kidding, Disney will conclude the sequel saga with the restoration of liberal capitalism, the End State of History

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

The next Star War should have some kind of super weapon that can destroy entire systems by making a star go supernova.

The Suncrusher can stay in Legends, thank you very much.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

clown shoes posted:

This already exists in the EU lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's the joke.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This already exists in the EU lol

I've never read any of the EU books but how can something exist in something that no longer exists? Is Disney allowed to use any of the EU stuff?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

clown shoes posted:

I've never read any of the EU books but how can something exist in something that no longer exists? Is Disney allowed to use any of the EU stuff?

Probably but the point I was making is that any dumb idea you can think of has probably been done in the old EU already

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They can mine old books for ideas. They intend to enforce that the continuity of the old books does not apply to any new material.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

They can mine old books for ideas. They intend to enforce that the continuity of the old books does not apply to any new material.

It's a double edged laser sword because when they mine anything from Legends EU they get called unoriginal but if they do anything original they get called out for ruining the mythology.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thrawn showed up in the Rebels show so the old EU is definitely available for the new canon

EDIT: Apparently he's voiced by Mads Mikkelsen's older brother which is cool

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

edit: ^dammit.

clown shoes posted:

Yes, and this is already happening. Thrawn was one of the more popular characters from the old EU, and he's on the TV show Rebels now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Still holding out for the return of Irek Ismaren.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

but if they do anything original they get called out for ruining the mythology.

feel like we're gonna have to wait for that to happen to see if that's how people react

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AndyElusive posted:

Still holding out for the return of Irek Ismaren.

Nah, bring back Warlord Zsinj. I need my British Empire Warlord and his magnificent mustache.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shadows of the Empire starring Dash Rendar aka Han Solo-lite and Xizor the lizard man who fucks

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Nah, bring back Warlord Zsinj. I need my British Empire Warlord and his magnificent mustache.

Make the Moffship canon while you're at it Disney.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Dathomir and the Nightsisters from that book are canon now too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alien otters, Boba Fett escaping the Sarlaac with the help of Dengar, Chewbacca getting crushed by a moon, a superlaser built by the Hutts *guy from Barenaked Ladies who left after being arrested for drugs voice* It's all been done, ooooohhhhhh

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

#MakeKypDurronCanon

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

clown shoes posted:

This post is warping reality for me.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Shadows of the Empire starring Dash Rendar aka Han Solo-lite and Xizor the lizard man who fucks

Xizor, The Lizardman Who Fucks will be the name of my Post-Acid Metal Synth garage band

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Although it was not named The Terror Sphere, it was a terror sphere.

They should have called it The Axis of Evil.

Is Chewbacca’s family from the Holiday Special canon? They should.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The MSJ posted:

They should have called it The Axis of Evil.

Is Chewbacca’s family from the Holiday Special canon? They should.

They should be fired from a cannon.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

jivjov posted:

Huh? All of Disney's Star Wars films have introduced new spaceships, both brand new and iterations of OT stuff.

What's weird is they can't seem to introduce (many) new aliens with non scrunched up faces.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ballchinians are a very established people.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Bring back Skippy the Jedi droid and have it turn out its motivator was repaired and put into BB-8 imo.

CelticPredator posted:

Perhaps some sort of star... destroyer? :thunk:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
maybe instead of a big planet destroying space station it could be a moon sized entertainment and laser tag facility?

:thunk:

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Maybe instead of a gigantic station that blows up planets, they could use the materials and personnel to construct and man a fleet with thousands of capital ships that would completely and easily overwhelm anything the resistance could muster and completely dominate all space travel and commerce.

That would certainly make the task of defeating the Empire/First Order seem much more daunting and require a much more clever resolution than "find their one, huge weapon, blow it up and you win". It's just a bit tired how so many science fiction/fantasy stories amount to destroying an entire army/government/species by just blowing up one huge ship/fortress/queen/hivemind. I suppose if they did just go with a gigantic fleet, they'd just make the Empire put all of their ships in the same place for some stupid reason so the rebels could sneak in a bomb and blow them all up at once.

It just seems like a lazy and uninteresting way to resolve the whole "overcoming impossible odds" situation, where the way they do it is always by discovering that the enemy force, though overwhelming in power and number, is actually entirely reliant on some vulnerable thing that, when destroyed, will leave them utterly powerless. I mean...that never happens. It would be like if the US had just surrendered to the British in 1814 when they burned down the capital. "Oh! They got the capital! War's over guys, they got us."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a metaphor.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a metaphor.

A silly one, the frequent repetition of which makes it increasingly silly.

It's fine once in a while, but when it's always the answer it starts to lose its meaning and just become tedious.

IV: We gotta blow up the death star!
V: Aw, poo poo, they're mad cause we blew up the death star! Hide!
VI: We gotta blow the death star!
VII: We gotta blow up the dea--Starkiller Base!

At least in 8 there were a whopping two giant enemy ships they needed to blow up, and doing so didn't defeat the enemy either time.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 16, 2018

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like Obsidian to make the new star wars game.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I would like Parker Bros to make a Star Wars game.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

After lootboxgate if Disney doesn't pull the license from ea is anything remotely close to this likely?

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Fhate posted:

At least in 8 there were a whopping two giant enemy ships they needed to blow up, and doing so didn't defeat the enemy either time.

Surely there's nothing to this

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Turtlicious posted:

They get to make their own properties now. I'm eagerly awaiting getting in a pirate ship and chasing down the god who decided to be reborn in the giant statue underneath my castle from the first game to tell him off for standing up underneath my house.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Carly Rae Jepsen voice I'm blowing up the death store