Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
I loved that the solution to the "reflects all life" riddle was just a loving mirror. It leaned hard into the recurring theme of everything magic related being hilariously cruel and dumb.

Plus that scene withholding the emotional catharsis by leaning into comedy just made me all the more moved when that last song kicked in and Quentin and Elliot had their flashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I loved this episode, but I can’t help but wish that they had cut just before verbally confirming that Eliot and Q remembered their time together. The actors did a good job expressing they remembered, verbalizing it brought the moment down.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Prairie Bus posted:

I loved this episode, but I can’t help but wish that they had cut just before verbally confirming that Eliot and Q remembered their time together. The actors did a good job expressing they remembered, verbalizing it brought the moment down.

I disagree. I personally needed the confirmation that they remembered. I thought that line, "We had a family," was really sweet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, it was.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I disagree. I personally needed the confirmation that they remembered. I thought that line, "We had a family," was really sweet.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I was super sad they didn’t remember until the end and them saying it explicitly didn’t ruin it at all and cleared up that it wasn’t just isolated little bits. Oh man that was so good, and I am excited about what little q left behind.

I like the idea of Fenn being Quentin’s grandkid (or whatever the timeline requires). It would really fit nicely with Elliott and Quentin’s mosaic life. Also I kind of felt that the little plot of land looked like Fenn’s family’s house but it could just be Fillorian HOA rules or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't want Fenn to be related to Q because then it becomes awkward for him and Elliot to be true loves. Seriously, it fixes all his nonsense woman problems and then Julia and Alice are free to be together.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

and then Julia and Alice are free to be together.

Wait... two fine rear end women... magic... carry the 1...

Math checks out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Math checks out.

The Vagicians

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Math checks out.

Cap Com check, we are a go flight.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just got all caught up.... WOW this show is getting good, this season. Getting all misty and stuff with that "Life well lived" montage.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Calling the Kinsey scale scientific is about as accurate as the scale itself

Drunk History had a story about the Kinsey scale today. TIL. Also Katie Nolan was on it. :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fake magic dicks.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The incubus is a hedge fund manager. Love it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Teeth, in my vagina? It's more likely than you think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The guy who plays Benedict (the cartographer) is going to be on the American TV version of What We Do in the Shadows.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

geeves posted:

Teeth, in my vagina? It's more likely than you think.

I know this meme!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Oh, hey. Poppy's story about the island full of treasure where she got the key was in the book.

But this Poppy seems devious compared to the Poppy in the books.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This key seems super cursed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Despite his depression monster, Quentin seems much more cool after spending 60 years in a parallel life boning Eliot. And that tender moment they had together at the start of the episode surprised me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

The guy who plays Benedict (the cartographer) is going to be on the American TV version of What We Do in the Shadows.

That show should be set in Amber and never touched by human hands.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It also stars Matt Berry.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Just in case anyone missed an excellent meta gag, the actor who plays Eliot also starred in this cult classic:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I don't want Fenn to be related to Q because then it becomes awkward for him and Elliot to be true loves. Seriously, it fixes all his nonsense woman problems and then Julia and Alice are free to be together.

Did you miss the part where Quentin straight up marries a woman and has a kid and poo poo? Sure they banged in their alternate life but I don't really think they're going to end up together.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Crunk Abortion posted:

Just in case anyone missed an excellent meta gag, the actor who plays Eliot also starred in this cult classic:

There was another meta gag in the last episode, where Margo questions the prince she's to marry on whether he's going to kill her with a crossbow like Joffrey on Game of Thrones. Later in the episode, Margo goes to talk to Jane Chatwin... played by the same actress as the character who is killed by Joffrey with a crossbow.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AngryBooch posted:

There was another meta gag in the last episode, where Margo questions the prince she's to marry on whether he's going to kill her with a crossbow like Joffrey on Game of Thrones. Later in the episode, Margo goes to talk to Jane Chatwin... played by the same actress as the character who is killed by Joffrey with a crossbow.

Jane Chatwin is Ros!?

Head explodes.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

Jane Chatwin is Ros!?

Head explodes.

you didn't notice because her costume focused your eyes on her face in this show

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

zeal posted:

you didn't notice because her costume focused your eyes on her face in this show

Oh my god, I never made the connection, and you're so right. It's because she was fully clothed for the first time!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did you miss the part where Quentin straight up marries a woman and has a kid and poo poo? Sure they banged in their alternate life but I don't really think they're going to end up together.

I don't think they're going to end up with each other, but it's clear that they have a great deal of affection for each other after living that parallel life. The kiss they shared this week seemed completely natural and not even out of lust, but of just a deep caring for each other.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Haha Margot and I said “terraforming” at the same time it was great.

This season is killing it.

Stank
Feb 14, 2018

ASK ME TO LINK THE POST THAT GOT ME BANNED FROM REDDIT!!!
I would like a spin-off about Queliot exploring the universe and having gay sex and Penny popping in for group sex sometimes. Also it strikes me that Eliot is definitely the top but what do other people think?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Stank posted:

I would like a spin-off about Queliot exploring the universe and having gay sex and Penny popping in for group sex sometimes. Also it strikes me that Eliot is definitely the top but what do other people think?

I'd rather watch the same type of spin-off, but with those characters replaced by Julia, Alice, and Margot.

But really I think I prefer the show as it is.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Eliot and Magot's little moment where they lamented their lost youth, and promised to go back to it as soon as they could... was sweet.

But they can't go back. They've grown, and you can't go home again. They would recognize that former life as the empty mess that it was.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Stank posted:

ShakeZula posted:

I'd rather watch the same type of spin-off, but with those characters replaced by Julia, Alice, and Margot.

And Josh makes guest appearances in both

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Stank posted:

Filmed by cockyboys.com

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

muscles like this! posted:

This key seems super cursed.

The only key we haven't seen a drawback to so far is the time-related key from last episode, maybe it's difficulty of acquisition meant it didn't have much of one or they just don't have time (no pun intended) to get into giving each key a downside. It gives me some hope that they're going to up the stakes on the quest though with the last 3 keys having really strong penalties for holding them or using their power, like shaving years off your life or turning you straight up evil or something. You can't have a proper quest without a heroic sacrifice at the end after all, and so far the closest we've come to that is poor Benedict.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They could go with the book ending of the story arc Quentin is banished from Fillory but I don't think it would have quite the same impact on the show seeing as Quentin has already spent a ton of time gone from there and doesn't seem that into going back.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Edit: Never mind.

Content: I thought it was kinda incongruous that Q was actually affected by his depression monster talking about how he was going to have early Alzheimers and a foot face when he clearly remembers already living to an old age without getting it.

Also I love that Elliot calls the fairies the "big bads."

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 17, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zeal posted:

This is a good explanation

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Magicians is a legit good show and has been for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
quentin and ellion are randy and lahey now

magicians paying respects to the greatest bisexual couple in canadian literature