Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i think qirex was the one who posted the original most-san-francisco thing overheard at the ferry building: "my doula makes the best kale chips"

my personal most-san-francisco thing i've seen was while i was waiting outside a parking garage. a guy in a $100k tesla pulled in, parked in the space beside a $20k nissan leaf that was using the EV charger, hopped out, looked around for a second, then unplugged the leaf and stuck the cord in his own car and walked away. superficial eco-conscious liberalism that belies the loving over of anyone poorer than yourself

i had to google 'doula ' but lol x2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my doula makes the best kale chips was the most bay area sentence ever uttered until that person from palo alto complaining that the billionaires were pushing out all us normal millionaires

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

"my doula makes the best kale chips"

this was a tech bubble thread title way back when, wasn't it? or was it cjs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well actually another one just happened. I'm standing in line for tamales and two people just left the line at the next stall over for $7 glasses of organic juice, saying "let's just use the juicer at home"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

Well actually another one just happened. I'm standing in line for tamales

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rex-Goliath posted:

portland was alright while i was there and wasn't totally hosed yet so there's still time, maybe

for christ sake no, housing's hosed here as is, traffic's gotten hideous because most of the main routes were designed for traffic levels of ten years ago

don't loving move to oregon. stay out. it's bad anyway and you wouldn't like it

my bitter bi rival posted:

trick question gentrification and changing demographics have probably ruined city life for a few generations barring some sort of mass exegesis back to the suburbs,.. im moving to chile

i feel like this has basically been the narrative:

"suburbs are poison, people should live in cities"
"well, okay!"
"wait gently caress-"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
really they're just suburbanizing cities now

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rex-Goliath posted:

this was a tech bubble thread title way back when, wasn't it? or was it cjs

i think you'll find the tech bubble has many things in common with weird ideas from greece

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

don't loving move to oregon. stay out. it's bad anyway and you wouldn't like it

hm, what if i live in southern washington and have an awful commute to avoid the income tax

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

really they're just suburbanizing cities now
ya

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what if I'm technically an Oregon native and i'm doing Birthright?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JawnV6 posted:

hm, what if i live in southern washington and have an awful commute to avoid the income tax

enjoy living next to people who are afraid of light rail because they literally think black people will use it to come and break into their homes and stores

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

enjoy living next to people who are afraid of light rail because they literally think black people will use it to come and break into their homes and stores

this is my world already in the bay area

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

all boomers think this everywhere and as a result their final political push will be to make it impossible to take away anyone's driver's license for being old

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lol!

:suicide:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

all boomers think this everywhere and as a result their final political push will be to make it impossible to take away anyone's driver's license for being old

it seems like the right specializes in self-fulfilling prophecies.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i think qirex was the one who posted the original most-san-francisco thing overheard at the ferry building: "my doula makes the best kale chips"

my personal most-san-francisco thing i've seen was while i was waiting outside a parking garage. a guy in a $100k tesla pulled in, parked in the non-ev space beside a $20k nissan leaf that was using the EV charger, hopped out, looked around for a second, then unplugged the leaf and stuck the cord in his own car and walked away. superficial eco-conscious liberalism while actively loving over anyone less well-off than yourself

my most SF thing was uhh right around 3rd and brannan. I was walking home from work and there was a car pulled over with one of those mobile repair service trucks behind it. the 20s couple that i assume were the car owners stood with angry arms crossed while the guy from the truck put the donut spare on their vehicle.

i couldnt stop laughing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like i know i hem and haw and toss my southern fried hick aphorisms around but that one was like a golem built up of meme dust walking and talking before my eyes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the real bay area power move would have been to leave the car and take an uber where they were going

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

good tamales are worth waiting in line for

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
is there an app for calling a tow truck

uber but for ubers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tire is flat, time to get a new car

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

qirex posted:

tire is flat, time to get a new car

I stopped someone from replacing their 3 year old sedan this winter because it drove bad in the snow and they never considered: snow tires.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jonny 290 posted:

like i know i hem and haw and toss my southern fried hick aphorisms around but that one was like a golem built up of meme dust walking and talking before my eyes

I experienced a version of this scene as a chile

early 30s yuppie couple with a 3-series with two flat rear tires, steel belts worn through, in the Stinson beach library parking lot impatiently waiting for AAA. I was like “yeah good luck getting that patched” lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

haveblue posted:

is there an app for calling a tow truck

uber but for ubers

it's getting them not to show up that's the trick

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hmmmm yes I cannot believe the absolute cheapest chinesium-never-heard-of-brand low rolling resistance tires have poor snow and ice traction

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

meatpotato posted:

I experienced a version of this scene as a chile

early 30s yuppie couple with a 3-series with two flat rear tires, steel belts worn through, in the Stinson beach library parking lot impatiently waiting for AAA. I was like “yeah good luck getting that patched” lol

would so not like to drive any of the roads out of there on temp tires

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

my personal most-san-francisco thing i've seen was while i was waiting outside a parking garage. a guy in a $100k tesla pulled in, parked in the non-ev space beside a $20k nissan leaf that was using the EV charger, hopped out, looked around for a second, then unplugged the leaf and stuck the cord in his own car and walked away. superficial eco-conscious liberalism while actively loving over anyone less well-off than yourself

smh if you didnt key it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait lmao all these loving computers on these cars and they dont have a way to secure charging to your ride lmfaoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Krankenstyle posted:

smh if you didnt key it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

contact lens cleaner/brake fluid can be of use here too.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jonny 290 posted:

wait lmao all these loving computers on these cars and they dont have a way to secure charging to your ride lmfaoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

the locking mechanism is on the charger side not the car side for whatever reason so not all of them have one
all the chargepoint branded stations ive used have locked the cable to my car but the nissan branded one that came with the car has no lock

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
for the amount of juice you get i'm surprised they let you take it for free

how many kwh is a full "tank" on a typical ev anyway

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

a volt is ~15kwhr which is going to come out to like a buck fifty in juice for a full charge at commercial rates

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i must confess to something: the first time i got a flat tire after moving out from my parents' place, i called AAA. i told them i had a flat tire and i needed a tow truck. the nice lady on the phone said "okay, so in order for me to tell the driver what to bring, do you know if your spare tire is in good shape?"

after what felt like 30 seconds i said "......oh....right. the spare tire."

i graciously thanked her for her time and said i wouldn't be needing the truck after all

President Beep posted:

contact lens cleaner/brake fluid can be of use here too.

a palm-sized heat-sealed mylar bag full of dichloromethane, imo

whip it at their hood and the paint will be sloughing off in minutes

Sapozhnik posted:

varies from about 20kWh for an i3 or a leaf to 100kWh for the most expensive tesla.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

did tesla change their chargers to use the sae standard or are they still using their special snowflake plug

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

special one, with adapters for the SAE or 220v NEMA or whatever.

but tbh there's nothing wrong with their design -- it's equivalent or superior to the SAE standard. i believe they also released the patents into the public domain. i'd be fine if everyone standardized on tesla chargers

again, my analysis of tesla's feature set:

- best-available electric drivetrain and charging infrastructure
- pretty good exterior design
- average mechanical reliability
- average-to-poor fit and finish
- average-to-poor interior design
- poor human user interface design
- abysmal attitudes to repair and modifications
- borderline illegal marketing of autonomous features

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 15, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

did tesla change their chargers to use the sae standard or are they still using their special snowflake plug

it just works.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
literally just eat the rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I still can’t believe the amount of local pushback about “noise” people have had against electrifying loving Caltrain

you’re replacing bigass diesels that have pretty much zero emissions controls with trains whose loudest noise is when they go ‘toot toot’ at the crossings

basically just burn Atherton to the ground and rezone it as dense residential