Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

good read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Great article, and just. drat.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

B&N story is just capitalism.txt

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/964241840923799552/photo/1

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
take the money and run is every crytos end goal

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

isnt coinbase the one thats supposed to be cryptocurrency gone legit

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Shear Modulus posted:

yep, the true believers call it normie base or something

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

its probably the most mainstream exchange and almost certainly what all the grandpas and day traders who got suckered in last fall were using

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lmfao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Coinbase doing a snatch and grab is gonna be great for confidence in the Crypto markets

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Epic High Five posted:

Coinbase doing a snatch and grab is gonna be great for confidence in the Crypto markets

fear is dead, markets only go up

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
this just means that more real cash has been brought into the crypto ecosystem, and much like tether it is sitting in a giant vault waiting to be needed to back real money transactions

this is insanely good for crypto

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
lmfbo

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One good thing to come from all these crypto currencies has been the years of entertainment they have provided me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Turtle Sandbox posted:

One good thing to come from all these crypto currencies has been the years of entertainment they have provided me.

I liked reading all the articles and posts about people who bought bitcoin at 19/20k.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is the economy crashing yet I saw a Facebook trending post saying bitcoin was up

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

bitcoin is always up sometimes you just have to rotate the chart a little

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My friend was talking about this discord channel with a bunch of people advocating bitcoin (the channel isn't related to bitcoin, just happened to have people in it who like bitcoin). He said their argument for it going up a bunch again soon is that Wall Street will gets it's Q1 bonus soon (which I guess means bankers will all throw their bonus into bitcoins or something? lol).

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
that is honestly just stupid enough to make sense in our dumbass timeline

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Wouldn't that require pent-up demand?

Like, they all want in but they can't afford it and when bonuses come boom. They're in.

I recognize this from when I was poor and would wait till payday to buy poo poo. I bet those dudes were poor and projecting their own experiences.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

they need a vix volatility index. lets take it to the second derivative

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Karl Barks posted:

sorry, I missed a not, it's not MNPI. he also said, technically, you could do a put on a stock and then bomb their physical building, and it still wouldn't be insider trading

There's some rich rear end in a top hat who's trying to take apart the Herbalife MLM because he has massive put options on them

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is the economy crashing yet I saw a Facebook trending post saying bitcoin was up

just zoom out

(this is something they unironically say)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Good read.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

tekz posted:

they need a vix volatility index. lets take it to the second derivative

it already is, if you'd believe it.

the vix index derives from option prices, which derive from stock prices

...and there are further derivatives on the VIX, of course

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Agronox posted:

it already is, if you'd believe it.

the vix index derives from option prices, which derive from stock prices

...and there are further derivatives on the VIX, of course

We need to derive deeper...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
it was not until the seventh derivative asset that the people learned the name of G-d

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Its like an inception of derivatives

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Karl Barks posted:

sorry, I missed a not, it's not MNPI. he also said, technically, you could do a put on a stock and then bomb their physical building, and it still wouldn't be insider trading

would it be fraud to do that

or can you claim that a sophisticated investor should’ve known about the risk that you might bomb the building

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zoran posted:

would it be fraud to do that

or can you claim that a sophisticated investor should’ve known about the risk that you might bomb the building

pretty sure bombing a building is also a crime

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I don't get it. Why would an imminent strike that can move the share price not be material non-public information?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like chaining a bunch of speculative and nebulous derivatives together and selling them is a bad idea, but I can't exactly pinpoint why I'd think that....hmmmmm

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I feel like chaining a bunch of speculative and nebulous derivatives together and selling them is a bad idea, but I can't exactly pinpoint why I'd think that....hmmmmm

Are they doing this again?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Turtle Sandbox posted:

We need to derive deeper...

There are options on the VIX.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tunicate posted:

There's some rich rear end in a top hat who's trying to take apart the Herbalife MLM because he has massive put options on them

right ends, poor means

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Are they doing this again?

Considering all the people who organized it last time are back in power under Trump I can only assume so

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I went to check out the coinbase subreddit at the exact perfect time

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

That post from reddit that was posted a few pages ago where the guy lost 1.2 million dollars in a few hours was trading options (bought with borrowed money) on etfs that were themselves funds that borrowed money to short the VIX.

in other words the vix is a number where they decide what number it is by plugging the prices of a bunch of s&p 500 options into a formula, and the funds construct a portfolio out of options on the vix to become inversely correlated with the vix, then this guy bought options on these funds, and he also borrowed money himself to buy these options. so he was at least four or five levels removed from anything concrete

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

B&N story is just capitalism.txt

Especially the part on how the yearly CEO salary was $18 million and their suprise Christmas layoffs "saved" 40 million