Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Seems really dumb considering Vitalik keeps harping about how Eth is going to switch to Proof of Stake real soon now and miners have less than a year left and so on

Vitalik can't actually deliver tho, they were supposed to do the PoS switchover like 18 months ago and his current timeline is 3-5 years (which is the "cold fusion in 10-20 years" of computer science).

He's a dumb teenage kid who wrote a Bitcoin ripoff that used a different hash algorithm, not some computer supergenius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Vitalik can't actually deliver tho, they were supposed to do the PoS switchover like 18 months ago and his current timeline is 3-5 years (which is the "cold fusion in 10-20 years" of computer science).

He's a dumb teenage kid who wrote a Bitcoin ripoff that used a different hash algorithm, not some computer supergenius.

Ok, just change my comment to “Seems really dumb” in general, for anything related to cryptocurrency

I regret the day I read Neal Stephenson and thought “oh cool”

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I wonder if Bitmain is "burn-in testing" them right now, lol

(they do that - lots of people find dust, worn-out fans, etc in their "new" miners)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Stop implying butterfly labs bitmain is unethical

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

For the full Butterfly Labs experience, they need to delay sending them until they've increased the difficulty enough that their customers can never profit from them. :v:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Paul MaudDib posted:

Bonus points, Proof of Stake in any form can't be more efficient than Proof of Work, simply because the effort spent to cheat the system will remain constant, as long as the money they can gain remains the same. Every single proposed PoS setup has the same underlying issue, people are willing to pay $1000 to earn $1100, so how do you decentralize an untrusted voting system that's robust against people colluding, cheating, or otherwise making GBS threads on the network for financial gain?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Seems really dumb considering Vitalik keeps harping about how Eth is going to switch to Proof of Stake real soon now and miners have less than a year left and so on

except when he admits three to five years

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

divabot posted:

except when he admits three to five years

Gotta keep the scam going

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I wonder if Bitmain is "burn-in testing" them right now, lol

(they do that - lots of people find dust, worn-out fans, etc in their "new" miners)

Worn out fans should only happen if they fit them with the cheapest fans they can find. Some of the nicer fans like Noctua supposedly have a 17 year MTBF. How are they wearing out fans with only a few weeks of "burn-in" ?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You make the incorrect assumption that they're not fitting them with random cheap-o fans. The build quality of a lot of ASICs is pretty questionable, really--sure, they spent some good money fabing that custom silicon, but then they jam it into a folded metal frame that wouldn't be out of place next to some early 90's computer cases.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, the cases some of these things are slapped in are basically Jim-Bob-Bought-A-Sheet-Metal-Folder quality. And then you get to buy and wire up a $500 1.5 kW ATX power supply to them and just leave it on the bench next to it because they don't come with a PSU or somewhere to mount one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NihilismNow posted:

Worn out fans should only happen if they fit them with the cheapest fans they can find.

Yup

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
What I am really interested in rather than mining, is building a mining pool. So I started researching setting up an Ethereum pool with Open Ethereum Pool (https://github.com/sammy007/open-ethereum-pool).

I learned that setting one up in a Digital Ocean might be problematic, due to DO's high iowait states, so im looking to set it up on a dedicated server, something along the lines of an Intel X5650 2.66Ghz - 12 Cores / 24 Threads with 32GB Ram, 1 240GB SSD and 2TB Sata drive should be enough to begin with.

I have no idea how much bandwith the pool will consume or if its worth given the ratio of mining hashes per second...

Does anyone here have experience running mining pools for bitcoin/ethereum, i'm not doing for the profit, I know the profitability of the mining pool will depend how many autists i can get mining in it, including myself.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tempus Thales posted:

What I am really interested in rather than mining, is building a mining pool. So I started researching setting up an Ethereum pool with Open Ethereum Pool (https://github.com/sammy007/open-ethereum-pool).

I learned that setting one up in a Digital Ocean might be problematic, due to DO's high iowait states, so im looking to set it up on a dedicated server, something along the lines of an Intel X5650 2.66Ghz - 12 Cores / 24 Threads with 32GB Ram, 1 240GB SSD and 2TB Sata drive should be enough to begin with.

I have no idea how much bandwith the pool will consume or if its worth given the ratio of mining hashes per second...

Does anyone here have experience running mining pools for bitcoin/ethereum, i'm not doing for the profit, I know the profitability of the mining pool will depend how many autists i can get mining in it, including myself.

You’re thinking big now

I very briefly considered it but not worth the hassle imo. It goes beyond just touching the butts to becoming one with the poop. Also I figured you’d want to do it as anonymously as possible, check for security, and ugh.

Definitely one of the best ways to profit off of crypto though, next to running an exchange or writing your miner software

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/964241840923799552

:toot:

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

You’re thinking big now

I very briefly considered it but not worth the hassle imo. It goes beyond just touching the butts to becoming one with the poop. Also I figured you’d want to do it as anonymously as possible, check for security, and ugh.

Definitely one of the best ways to profit off of crypto though, next to running an exchange or writing your miner software

I'm not looking to flip 20,000 users on a first run if anything I will have it running for authenticated parties first before I open it to a worldwide public. There is going to be no interaction with the server for anything other than the miners talking to it, everything else going to build it via authenticating a bot on Discord that talks back to the server for pretty much everything... This is going to help with security and payouts since all that part will be done from the discord server via the bot...

From there we will see, if it feels good I might push forward with it and start engaging different communities to get more traffic. I am just really curious how all of it works and if I can do what I have in mind...

Do you think the hardware I am contemplating in using is enough to run up to how many connections?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

HERE WE GO

Though I didn't receive charges thank god

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Someone previously asked why you wouldn't give your primary banking info to exchanges. Namaste

Risky Bisquick posted:

Opening a new bank account is pretty painless. A couple clicks on your existing banks web portal to give you piece of mind that you aren't giving your actual banking info to exchanges.

Perhaps that is common sense but I'd hope no one is giving out their primary bank account information to exchanges.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Lmao this is why I created a separate bank account with a separate bank from my real money.

Get hosed nerds!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Whoa thats mean :mad:

They totally have my primary bank information though I'd like to see them try to actually generate 50 ACH withdrawals. The way things are these days my bank would probably send seal team 6 and drag me out of work to discuss fraudulent charges

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This never would have happened if they'd just been their own bank.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There is a cryptojacking campaign targeting WordPress sites:

https://twitter.com/xbs/status/963796410100604929

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol crypto

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

Someone previously asked why you wouldn't give your primary banking info to exchanges. Namaste

Oddly enough, the people who gave their banking info weren't hit. The extra charges all went to people using credit or debit cards.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I don't see how they could just drain you account just based on its number, but on the other hand charging a shitload to you card is trivial. Still glad I gave them no real info at all. Hopefully NH->CB->Gyft still works, butts are up to 10k so I'll stick with it for a bit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't 2FA turned on with Coinbase by default? It is for me and I feel like it walked me through it right away.

Edit: I didn't see any funny business and I only got like $100 in there, but I unlinked my bank anyway.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 16, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Yeah I dont think that one is going to pan out lol. I mean something might have happened, but Coinbase isn't going to burn itself by charging some credit cards 50 times. The worst realistic scenario is someone hacked in and is creating false charges on top of legitimate ones

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Rastor posted:

There is a cryptojacking campaign targeting WordPress sites:

https://twitter.com/xbs/status/963796410100604929

more like fav initial coin offering

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Gyft stopped accepting my coinbase to buy amazon gift cards (saying declined due to security reasons). Any other way to turn BTC into gift cards?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Sibling of TB posted:

Gyft stopped accepting my coinbase to buy amazon gift cards (saying declined due to security reasons). Any other way to turn BTC into gift cards?

I just tried and it let me go to the very end. I didn't actually hit purchase but it gave no indication that it wouldn't take Coinbase funds. When did it fail?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

I just tried and it let me go to the very end. I didn't actually hit purchase but it gave no indication that it wouldn't take Coinbase funds. When did it fail?

After choose the method of payment (coinbase or bitpay), click go, it opens a new window which usually says that everything went alright but this time is saying "Sorry, your order has been declined for security purposes" and that an email has been sent explaining and that the funds will be refunded (they were never taken in the first place, so that's good I guess).

And the email is a generic "your transaction has been denied, look at our FAQ". No big deal, just 30 free bucks. I'm hoping it's something to do with the coinbase hack or whatever and either it'll stop rejecting in a week or so or the low effort mining thing is all done.

McPimpenheimer
Jul 12, 2006

Pimpin with pride since '85.
That happens to me if I don't disable uBlock and Ghostery in my browser beforehand. Are you running an adblocker?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

McPimpenheimer posted:

That happens to me if I don't disable uBlock and Ghostery in my browser beforehand. Are you running an adblocker?

Ah! There you go! Dumb of me, was doing it on a different computer than usual and forgot about all that. Thank you!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh gee I forgot to disable my privacy and security extensions, silly me forgot that I was dealing in cryptocurrencies

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Please disable your extensions which block our bitcoin-mining javascript

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Gyft also forces you to turn off 2FA on Coinbase lol. For that reason alone I never really used it as a matter of inconvenience

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
ETH DAG File is now over 3GB in size. May begin to see the 1060 3GB head back to MSRP levels if they aren't already.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Nicehash is making enough so that I'm no longer contemplating turning off my computer.

To the moon!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

Gyft also forces you to turn off 2FA on Coinbase lol. For that reason alone I never really used it as a matter of inconvenience

Jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

A small price to pay in order to strengthen the Ethereum Network 💪

• Locked thread