Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

I didn't buy XII HD but doesn't playing at 4x speed all the time kind of ruin it

You can toggle it on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Certainly don't use the speedup when you're trying to get somewhere on a time limit like with Great Crystal gates (unless the time limit doesn't go down faster with speedup). The speedup makes you far less accurate in your movements and, if played back in normal time, would look like you're playing the game completely black-out drunk.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Good news: I found the Zodiac Spear on my third time entering the zone it spawns in! It's a 1% chance to spawn each time you load so I was pretty stoked.

Bad news: I kept going in that area and died, because the enemies there will teleport to you and instantly attack, and never stop chasing you. And the save it made when I entered the area didn't save the fact that there was a Zodiac Spear spawned. It took me a full hour to get it to spawn again.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Schwartzcough posted:

Certainly don't use the speedup when you're trying to get somewhere on a time limit like with Great Crystal gates (unless the time limit doesn't go down faster with speedup). The speedup makes you far less accurate in your movements and, if played back in normal time, would look like you're playing the game completely black-out drunk.

Most of the switches (except Virgo) give you a pretty reasonable time limit of 120-240 seconds.

Esper obtained. I just equipped Sages Rings on my two characters and left a bubble belt on the third. Not too difficult compared to some of the other espers.

I also found a pretty ballin shield in the room with Excalibur. Basch has 90 evasion now and absorbs all elements. Seems incredibly OP. Looked it up and apparently it's a very rare spawn chance so I guess it was worth traipsing through the dungeon after all.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 15, 2018

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gologle posted:

lol if you think resident evil has good characters

I will not tolerate any slander of Barry goddamn Burton

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Isn't the spear gated behind zodiark now or something dumb like that

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Sekenr posted:

I bought FFXV on monday on impulse because it seemed like a fun roadtrip with bros. And than the loving thing goes on sale 2 days later, and they are apparently still patching it 2 years later??

I picked it up around Christmas and am still enjoying the hell out of it (haven't completed the main story yet, been having too much fun with hunts and other nonsense). I hope you have as much fun with it as I am.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sapozhnik posted:

Isn't the spear gated behind zodiark now or something dumb like that

Nah, although you do have to be able to get into the hard area of the henne mines which means you have to kill 10 espers + be able to make it past some high level enemies.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Did they change the chest that you get to if you beat both Demon Walls? I got a Scathe Mote from it when I remembered it used to be a special sword.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't mind the great crystal so much except for the gates part. What a mess.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Did they change the chest that you get to if you beat both Demon Walls? I got a Scathe Mote from it when I remembered it used to be a special sword.

Yes that's all you get now except for the satisfaction of beating the odds.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MMF Freeway posted:

Whew glad I didn't bother when I did that.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MMF Freeway posted:

I think Montblanc gives you an item too, but it's probably stupid garbage. Or Gurdy or whichever the gently caress the clan leader is.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

Most of the switches (except Virgo) give you a pretty reasonable time limit of 120-240 seconds.

Esper obtained. I just equipped Sages Rings on my two characters and left a bubble belt on the third. Not too difficult compared to some of the other espers.

I also found a pretty ballin shield in the room with Excalibur. Basch has 90 evasion now and absorbs all elements. Seems incredibly OP. Looked it up and apparently it's a very rare spawn chance so I guess it was worth traipsing through the dungeon after all.

drat, that is super lucky. Was the chest invisible? On the IZJS version in Japan, all those OP invisible items also come in invisible chests, so the only way to know if they spawned at all was to run around where the chest would be and see if it was there (at like a 0.1% spawn rate) or to actually listen to the sounds your PS2 made while loading. Yes, this was the recommended strategy at the time because they were so loving rare that walking to the chest location was a huge waste of time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saint Freak posted:

I think Montblanc gives you an item too, but it's probably stupid garbage. Or Gurdy or whichever the gently caress the clan leader is.
Yeah, I think clan leader moogle gives you some bonus consumables or bazaar goods or something too. I know he did in the original.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I didn't buy XII HD but doesn't playing at 4x speed all the time kind of ruin it

It's the only way it's even vaguely tolerable to play

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think playing literally the whole thing in 4x would, yeah, but if you’re just using it to speed up walking through dungeons or grinding trash, it’s basically just a sprint button. You just toggle it off when you get to something interesting.

I tend to stick to 2x unless I have a straight hallway. Maybe it's my old man reflexes, but 4x gets a bit too LUDICROUS SPEED for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bruceski posted:

I tend to stick to 2x unless I have a straight hallway. Maybe it's my old man reflexes, but 4x gets a bit too LUDICROUS SPEED for me.

Yeah I tried it once but I went plaid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sekenr posted:

I bought FFXV on monday on impulse because it seemed like a fun roadtrip with bros. And than the loving thing goes on sale 2 days later, and they are apparently still patching it 2 years later??
FFXV was a late November 2016 release IIRC, so it's not exactly two years.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

drat, that is super lucky. Was the chest invisible? On the IZJS version in Japan, all those OP invisible items also come in invisible chests, so the only way to know if they spawned at all was to run around where the chest would be and see if it was there (at like a 0.1% spawn rate) or to actually listen to the sounds your PS2 made while loading. Yes, this was the recommended strategy at the time because they were so loving rare that walking to the chest location was a huge waste of time.

I'm sad that you can't use RNG manipulation to get the uberbow on the PC version.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Maaaaan, at least the Tallows are good for dropping stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

At least they left in the Gladius rather than expecting me to actually play the game without OP (for when you get them) weapons.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

If you are going to play FF XV and don’t have easy access to the movie and cartoon, then look for a summary video on YouTube. I did that and it added to my enjoyment of the game and understanding of what was actually going on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
doesn't the movie happen at the same time as the game so it has way more spoilers than the anime

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

doesn't the movie happen at the same time as the game so it has way more spoilers than the anime

It's like if FFXV is A New Hope, Kingsglaive is Rogue One

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

The movie only really happens at about the same time as the first hour or so of the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I'm sad that you can't use RNG manipulation to get the uberbow on the PC version.

Pretty sure you can actually.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty sure you can actually.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyXII/comments/7vspsy/an_indepth_explanation_of_ff12_pcs_rng/

Since the PS4 method involved setting the seed in a controlled location, and then loading your actual savefile, a seed that re-randomizes every time you load a save breaks it.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Cronodoculous posted:

Good news: I found the Zodiac Spear on my third time entering the zone it spawns in! It's a 1% chance to spawn each time you load so I was pretty stoked.

Bad news: I kept going in that area and died, because the enemies there will teleport to you and instantly attack, and never stop chasing you. And the save it made when I entered the area didn't save the fact that there was a Zodiac Spear spawned. It took me a full hour to get it to spawn again.

My story is nowhere near as impressive/saddening, but that reminded me of when I was doing the white flan hunt. The monster itself isn't too bad, but apparently squeenix decided that it would be funny to put a water elemental right next to, so it was nearly impossible to fight one without aggroing the other. At one point I had finally managed to kill it, only to draw the aggro of the elemental right after. Slowly my party died as I tried to escape.

Did square up the aggresiveness of the elementals in the PC version? I don't remember them bothering you unless you attacked them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nah, they would aggro on you for casting any magic near them, even if it was just casting protect on yourself or something.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah, they would aggro on you for casting any magic near them, even if it was just casting protect on yourself or something.

Ah that would do it then. Those things are scary.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

*quietly deactivates protect gambit*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

*quietly deactivates protect gambit*

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, it was invisible. I picked up Excalibur and my party lead was just kinda stuck on an invisible wall when I tried to run forward, so I hit A again and picked up another item, which happened to be the OP shield. The only other invisible chest I've run into (on the deck of an airship) gave me 10 gil.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Yeah, it was invisible. I picked up Excalibur and my party lead was just kinda stuck on an invisible wall when I tried to run forward, so I hit A again and picked up another item, which happened to be the OP shield. The only other invisible chest I've run into (on the deck of an airship) gave me 10 gil.

That chest on the airship has the lol op Seitengrant (sp) bow in it at stupidly low rates.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Do you need 3 holy absorbing items to beat Ultima? I have 2, and was wondering if I need to do some RNG poo poo to get a 3rd one.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The funniest thing about zodiac to me is the archaeoavis being upgraded from some whatever mook to a completely unstoppable badass

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Do you need 3 holy absorbing items to beat Ultima? I have 2, and was wondering if I need to do some RNG poo poo to get a 3rd one.

I only used two Sage's Rings and had my third character equipped with a Bubble Belt. If you absolutely need a third item, you can get a White Mask from either North Liavell in Cerobi Steppe or the Cloister of Distant Song in the Nechrohol of Nabudis. If those are the two you have, you can get a Sage's Ring from the Ward of Steel in Stilshrine of Miriam. IIRC the only Holy spell she uses is Holyja and, even if your third character drops, your other two will be healed and can use a phoenix down to revive them. Just be ready to launch a giant quickening chain or something when she gets to 30% health because she'll use Holyja and you wind up getting HP drain, MP drain, attack/magic/technick/item seal in a timed cycle (i.e. 30 sec of HP drain, then MP drain, then attack lock, etc.). Be sure to fix reverse ASAP because she'll use curaja to kill your party really quickly.

e: If your Black Mage's second job is Shikari, you can use the Yaguya Darkblade + black robes (boosts dark) to just tear her up, too.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 16, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I only used two Sage's Rings and had my third character equipped with a Bubble Belt. If you absolutely need a third item, you can get a White Mask from either North Liavell in Cerobi Steppe or the Cloister of Distant Song in the Nechrohol of Nabudis. If those are the two you have, you can get a Sage's Ring from the Ward of Steel in Stilshrine of Miriam. IIRC the only Holy spell she uses is Holyja and, even if your third character drops, your other two will be healed and can use a phoenix down to revive them. Just be ready to launch a giant quickening chain or something when she gets to 30% health because she'll use Holyja and you wind up getting HP drain, MP drain, attack/magic/technick/item seal in a timed cycle (i.e. 30 sec of HP drain, then MP drain, then attack lock, etc.). Be sure to fix reverse ASAP because she'll use curaja to kill your party really quickly.

e: If your Black Mage's second job is Shikari, you can use the Yaguya Darkblade + black robes (boosts dark) to just tear her up, too.

The white mask is a rare drop at Cerobi Steppe. I got the one in Necrohol and got the ring in Miriam, and im not to Pharos just yet. Sadly my shikari is also a foebreaker, so I was probably going to equip him with the Genji gloves to try for some combos. I'll also try for Darkga when she casts reflect on me.

I do have a seitengrat which has made a lot of the hunts a lot easier. Hopefully that's the case here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

the truth posted:

If you are going to play FF XV and don’t have easy access to the movie and cartoon, then look for a summary video on YouTube. I did that and it added to my enjoyment of the game and understanding of what was actually going on.

they're not cartoons, they're anime.