Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Most cats behave so utterly differently towards a strange human in their house and a strange cat that I find it very hard to believe they think humans are a type of cat. It makes more sense that they see us as another type of predator who isn’t a threat to their territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaworu posted:

Well, there was a legitimate theory going around that most domestic cats live in a sort of extended kittenhood, with humans basically being big hairless mommy-cats in their eyes

Another common theory is that domestic cats view *us* as kittens. Most of the cat interactions we're familiar with - meowing and purring - grew out of cat/kitten interactions.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My cat has a cloud in his eye. We took him to the vet, and the vet ruled out all the real serious stuff you can test for, said it was probably an inflammation though he wasn't sure, and gave us some eyedrops.

It seems to be clearing up with the drops (barely noticeable now, just two days later) and he's acting the same as always, but it still seems pretty weird to me. I looked up cloudy eyes in a cat online, and I mostly got horror stories about rare diseases and pictures of cats who look way worse in the eye department than mine. My cat just looks like his eyes are a windshield with some mild smudging on them.

Here's a picture of him looking serious from the back, like he's posing for a movie poster

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I regularly trim my cat's front claws, else he destroys everything. I noticed one of his back claws was hanging on by a thread when I was trimming the front tonight. I clipped it off (not the claw in question) and decided to check all the back ones. I found this on his back left. What is going on here? Do I need to take him to the vet? I never trim the back claws so I never noticed it before. He is used to me trimming the front and doesn't complain but was very unhappy with me touching this paw so I know it is atleast somewhat painful for him. Best picture I could get with him squirming and protesting.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Aarrgh, one of our 10 month old kittens has a small patch of ringworm next to his eye, smaller than his eye.

First it was all scabby and got worse for a bit, so after a couple of days we took him to the vet who gave him a shot and took a culture. It got better and better but is still there, just a bit of discoloration, no actual scab any more. One month later (now) we get a call saying it's ringworm, and to get some pills for the cat. We have six cats! 3 10 month old kittens, a 3 year old, a 10 and an 11 year old. None of the other cats show any signs. The vet insists that it's super catchable, and all websites say the same, and say it's basically the worst. I believe that. I'm just surprised it hasn't spread. Some sites even say to rip out all of your carpets, etc which we're not going to do.

Any advice? I plan on giving the cat the pills, I bought a blacklight off amazon and will inspect the rest of the cats.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

It’s hard to see but it looks like the claw came off the quick. If so, it will be tender for a while but the claw will grow back eventually. When that happened to my cat, we called and the vet said to try to keep it clean but don’t worry about it unless it looks infected. We looked at it once a day for a week or two but the cat kept it clean and it healed fine without intervention.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

Aarrgh, one of our 10 month old kittens has a small patch of ringworm next to his eye, smaller than his eye.

I had a similar situation and we had to apply a topical treatment every day and it cleared up after 2 months. Since it was near her eye we didn’t apply it very heavily so it took longer. No one else caught it (we had 3 other cats and 2 dogs) and we didn’t quarantine her or do anything special besides wash our hands more.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Joburg posted:

I had a similar situation and we had to apply a topical treatment every day and it cleared up after 2 months. Since it was near her eye we didn’t apply it very heavily so it took longer. No one else caught it (we had 3 other cats and 2 dogs) and we didn’t quarantine her or do anything special besides wash our hands more.

Awesome, thanks! Also Joburg people are friendlier than CT people (I learned after leaving CT)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

My cat has a cloud in his eye. We took him to the vet, and the vet ruled out all the real serious stuff you can test for, said it was probably an inflammation though he wasn't sure, and gave us some eyedrops.

It seems to be clearing up with the drops (barely noticeable now, just two days later) and he's acting the same as always, but it still seems pretty weird to me. I looked up cloudy eyes in a cat online, and I mostly got horror stories about rare diseases and pictures of cats who look way worse in the eye department than mine. My cat just looks like his eyes are a windshield with some mild smudging on them.

Here's a picture of him looking serious from the back, like he's posing for a movie poster

Woke up today and the cloudyness was all gone in one eye, but had transferred to the other. It doesn't look as pronounced as it did in his left eye, and I might not have even noticed it if I didn't know to look for it, but it still seems odd.

I know I shouldn't worry, but I am.

EDIT: Or not? I can't see it at all now, so either the meds I squirted in worked fast, or it was just a reflection of light or something. Probably just me being a hypochondriac

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 15, 2018

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
The kitten is really bringing out the best in Chino and Perdy now. We have our own little cat family.

Todd and Prinny are the grumpy grandma and grandpa who got divorced and tolerate each other for the sake of their hooman daughter - my wife. Chino and Perdy are like the kitten's parents. There's something about watching 3 tuxedos chase a laser pointer while a fourth bitch-slaps anyone who comes near her with clawless paws that just makes me :kimchi:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woke up today and the cloudyness was all gone in one eye, but had transferred to the other. It doesn't look as pronounced as it did in his left eye, and I might not have even noticed it if I didn't know to look for it, but it still seems odd.

I know I shouldn't worry, but I am.

EDIT: Or not? I can't see it at all now, so either the meds I squirted in worked fast, or it was just a reflection of light or something. Probably just me being a hypochondriac

Called the vet because his eye looked a bit hazy and more reflective than normal, and the vet said that was probably BECAUSE of the meds

This has been a saga of a lot of fretting over very little, so here is a cute picture of my cats

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Called the vet because his eye looked a bit hazy and more reflective than normal, and the vet said that was probably BECAUSE of the meds

This has been a saga of a lot of fretting over very little, so here is a cute picture of my cats

Look at that boneless tart :kimchi:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cythereal posted:

Another common theory is that domestic cats view *us* as kittens. Most of the cat interactions we're familiar with - meowing and purring - grew out of cat/kitten interactions.

One of the kitties I grew up with absolutely considered me and my brother to be kittens or kitten-equivalents. She was frankly kind of a bitch to our parents and other kitties, but she'd come running when we were upset and spend a lot of time with us.

My parents were deeply concerned that she'd maul us at first but the creatively-named Mama Kitty took good care of us and would probably have murdered anyone who tried to mess with us.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hi did you steal my cats?? I'd like them back, please!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

seiferguy posted:

Hi did you steal my cats?? I'd like them back, please!

Haha, they do look similar

I lost my cat of 16 years last February, and these two furballs fell into my life in quick succession and I guess I'm just scared of losing either, so I made a mountain out of a molehill.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Joburg posted:

It’s hard to see but it looks like the claw came off the quick. If so, it will be tender for a while but the claw will grow back eventually. When that happened to my cat, we called and the vet said to try to keep it clean but don’t worry about it unless it looks infected. We looked at it once a day for a week or two but the cat kept it clean and it healed fine without intervention.

Thank you, Ill look at it again in a week and if it doesn't change Ill make an appointment!

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
I just adopted a lovely 2yo male tabby and he is settling in well.

The only difficulty I've had is with his collar. He hates it and has figured out its a break-away so he just ... breaks it off. He is an indoor only cat and has a micro chip. It feels like there are two options here: get a non-break-away collar and risk it or leave him collar-less.

On the off chance he escapes though that means someone has to take him to a vet to get the chip scanned as opposed to ringing the number on the tag on his collar. I was going with the latter option but I just popped out to take some garbage out and he bolted out the front door. I made a big noise and waved my arms about like a big idiot and he bolted back in the house but he just as easily could have bolted in the other direction. I live on a really busy road and it could have been ugly.

Is there another option? If not, what's the lowest risk here?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Beyond Satire posted:

The only difficulty I've had is with his collar. He hates it and has figured out its a break-away so he just ... breaks it off. He is an indoor only cat and has a micro chip. It feels like there are two options here: get a non-break-away collar and risk it or leave him collar-less.

On the off chance he escapes though that means someone has to take him to a vet to get the chip scanned as opposed to ringing the number on the tag on his collar. I was going with the latter option but I just popped out to take some garbage out and he bolted out the front door. I made a big noise and waved my arms about like a big idiot and he bolted back in the house but he just as easily could have bolted in the other direction. I live on a really busy road and it could have been ugly.

See if you can get the cat scared of the door? Our cat won't wear a collar either (she bloodied her lip getting them off as she was too dumb to just yank on it with a paw). We've worked on making the exterior doors scary places- loud sudden noises whenever they open, that sort of thing. Our cat is also terrified of strangers so she stays away from the front door after she saw a repair guy come through.

You also may have to do something crafty to get the cat to a different part of the house to give you time to get the door open & closed safely. Maybe shut it in a room? The dance to block the door and open & close it quickly with a cat that wants out is a tricky one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Beyond Satire posted:

You could try using a ssscat to fear certain doors: https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-PDT00-13914-SSSCAT-Spray-Deterrent/dp/B000RIA95G my girlfriend is allergic to cats, and my cat doesn't know what personal space is, so I have to sleep with my door closed and them out. Soon enough they would scratch at the door, so I turned it on and soon enough they learned that closed door = don't go in, and open door is fine. You could probably do the opposite effect, maybe.

Some cats are impossible to train to wear a collar. One of my cats is okay wearing things but the other loses his mind.

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
Thanks for the advice. Will try to scare him away. For some strange reason, he's scared of the door that goes in to the garage but not of the front door so it shouldn't be too hard to make him scared of the front door. The back door is a sliding glass one and he loves that because he can look at trees with birds in them and neighbours and what not - that is less of a problem though because it doesn't lead straight to a busy road.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Here's my cat Terry looking silly. I was living with him in California for a few years after he followed my friend home from the grocery store. He's very social with people but doesn't get along with other animals, unfortunately. My mom had to take him for about a year, because when I moved in with my sister in Portland he kept getting attacked by her cat and was pissing on the furniture about it.

Terry's back, and he's the best roommate ever. Terry is 6 years old, and had gained a lot of weight up through 2016. He is 14-15 lbs now and the vet has put him on 1/4 cup of food twice a day and he is really interested in getting more.

He has been trying to get up on the kitchen counter near his food bag (which is in a cabinet he can't open) and has been trying to steal food from me a lot. To be fair he always wants to party with me if I'm awake but he seems particularly interested in food. I spray him with a water bottle to shoo him off the counter and table, but I have been thinking if I replaced a serving of dry food with wet food he might get more moisture and feel fuller so he'd beg less. Worth trying?

I have been really relieved that Terry is not stressed out and so has not marked anywhere in the apartment. But he does like to sharpen his claws in convenient places like my dining chairs and it's been hard to discourage him, especially as I am usually out of the apartment for 7-8 hours a day. I got him a cat tree off Amazon, sprayed it with Feliway pheromones a few times, and put his favorite crocheted blanket on there, but he's not going for it. Can I encourage him to sharpen his nails on the rope bits another way?

Hurf durf pizza

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Get some cardboard scratchers (they are like 5-7$ each). If he has some toys he likes to chase try getting him to play on the tree with the toys (catnip might help too). Some sort of toy mouse tied on a fabric ribbon usually works well for our cats.

1/4 cup of food twice a day seems a bit too little even for a 14-15 pound cat. He seems like a big cat (not in weight but overall size). How much were you feeding him before? You could try some wet food. You could maybe try spreading the food out to 1/8 cup 4 times per day too (an auto feeder would help with this).

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah I gotta second the cardboard scratch boxes - you can make them yourself with some spare corrugated cardboard and some catnip, or you can get them perfectly pre-made and overpriced. But given Ninendo Labo, cardboard does seem to be gaining more value these days.. Best thing is once your cat is done ripping through all the cardboard on one side and ALL the catnip has fallen to the bottom, you flip it over and boom like new and covered in delicious :catdrugs:

I remember when I was growing up the two big cats would just both be loafed up on top of scratchboxes possessively half the time, asleep or awake.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I picked up some (low-sodium) V8 at the grocery store today on a whim, and it turns out that Tuna loving loves vegetable juice for some reason--he won't leave me alone while I'm drinking it and he's constantly trying to steal it from me. I looked at the ingredients and some cursory research it doesn't look like there's anything in there that would be bad for him. Is there anything I should be aware of before I pour some out for him as a treat?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Looking at the top few ingredients, there's conflicting information regarding tomatoes and whether they're harmful to cats. Celery in too high an amount may cause stomach upset. Beets are a bad idea for cats prone to digestion issues or that have diabetes. My non veterinary opinion is, it may not be really deadly but it might cause discomfort/sickness. I probably wouldn't risk it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

First google reply:

Dr. Karen, Veterinary Oncologist
Satisfied Customers: 1,127
Experience: board certified by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in Oncology
Hi, V8 is fine for cats to have. There is not a lot of benefit to it, since he gets all of what he needs from his cat food, but if he enjoys it and the fiber in it does not cause diarrhea, it should be fine. There is no particular amount that I think would help and not hurt.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
With regards to scratching, I've found that the next best thing to do, after figuring out what your cat really likes scratching, is to find an Important place to put the scratching furniture. It's also a means of marking territory, after all, so putting a scratching post or cardboard scratcher well out of the way sort of defeats the point from the cat's perspective. Clearly the scratcher shouldn't be under foot, but I've had some luck putting the scratcher where a cat has been mistargeting for a while, and then I move it to an interesting spot that's a bit more convenient.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The Lord of Hats posted:

I picked up some (low-sodium) V8 at the grocery store today on a whim, and it turns out that Tuna loving loves vegetable juice for some reason--he won't leave me alone while I'm drinking it and he's constantly trying to steal it from me. I looked at the ingredients and some cursory research it doesn't look like there's anything in there that would be bad for him. Is there anything I should be aware of before I pour some out for him as a treat?

He may be after the salt, V8 is just loaded with it (even the low-sodium kind has 140mg per 8 oz). I had a cat that loved the poo poo out of popcorn and i suspect the same reason applies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Paul MaudDib posted:

He may be after the salt, V8 is just loaded with it (even the low-sodium kind has 140mg per 8 oz). I had a cat that loved the poo poo out of popcorn and i suspect the same reason applies.

If he wants salt he should just play some Overwatch.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
One of our kittens goes absolutely nuts for celery (and will straight-up eat lettuce if given the chance).

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

dovetaile posted:

One of our kittens goes absolutely nuts for celery (and will straight-up eat lettuce if given the chance).

https://youtu.be/kPD25ghelJY

https://youtu.be/j3Gv0Ru6yfo

https://youtu.be/-vYq2LBFqF0

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I have two cats that need a new cat tree.

Their needs are simple.

1) It needs a box to hide in
2) It needs a top shelf to sit on.

My needs are simple.

1) it needs to have a modest footprint and not have any shelves jutting off at odd angles outside of its footprint so it doesn't fit flush against the loving wall goddammit who designed this piece of poo poo.

Any reason I shouldn't just buy this for $53 at amazon?

http://www.armarkat.com/products/Classic-Cat-Tree-B5301.html

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Armakats are good trees.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Armakats are good trees.

I'm replacing an existing Armarkat, I just wasn't sure if there was another one that suited my needs better.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have this one, it's pretty great, but I snagged it on sale for 75 and not 110. Though I took the house off so the top platforms are level and combine into one big platform. Don't think you can go wrong with the one you linked though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ1IM

What's wrong with your current tree? Just the shape or is it worn out? If its just one or two parts worn out, armarkat sells replacements or you could replace the ones that stick out and mix and match, still buy the new one and combine with the old parts to make a cat castle.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Boogalo posted:

I have this one, it's pretty great, but I snagged it on sale for 75 and not 110. Though I took the house off so the top platforms are level and combine into one big platform. Don't think you can go wrong with the one you linked though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ1IM

What's wrong with your current tree? Just the shape or is it worn out? If its just one or two parts worn out, armarkat sells replacements or you could replace the ones that stick out and mix and match, still buy the new one and combine with the old parts to make a cat castle.

1) It's in need of replacement parts and they no longer sell for this model, I checked their site. In addition, it is just generally scuzzy from years of use.

2) It's more than they need, they only use the box house and top shelf.

3) it has goofy rear end panels that jut out and make it so it doesn't fit flush against anything.

I like that one, but too much of what I don't need and not enough of what I do.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Pretty sure this cat's declawing was hosed up. There are still claw-nubs that I can feel coming out of his toes, he doesn't really like me touching them, and he's scratching on a pillow and I can hear sounds.

We can work on the scratching, just not sure if it's hurting him. :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

slave to my cravings posted:

Get some cardboard scratchers (they are like 5-7$ each). If he has some toys he likes to chase try getting him to play on the tree with the toys (catnip might help too). Some sort of toy mouse tied on a fabric ribbon usually works well for our cats.

1/4 cup of food twice a day seems a bit too little even for a 14-15 pound cat. He seems like a big cat (not in weight but overall size). How much were you feeding him before? You could try some wet food. You could maybe try spreading the food out to 1/8 cup 4 times per day too (an auto feeder would help with this).

Well he was getting like 1 cup a day or even more, it was way too much. He's a big cat for sure, I might try giving him 1/4 can of wet food (30 calories) in addition to his current 1/2 cup of food a day (160 cal).

I'll try a cardboard scratcher. But lately I have pushed together the cat tree, a swath of carpet for scratching, and the ever-tempting Amazon box together by the windowsill for an irresistible cat-fort, and he's into it.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 20, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Merrick Purrfect Bistro doesn't come in anything larger than 5.5oz cans, right?

Our 13 year old cat lost a pound in the last 6 months without us really trying. There are possible reasons (she has a new cat tree and we finally found a toy she likes, different food for that time frame) and she's got great blood work, so the vet isn't worried as long as we can get her to gain a quarter to half pound of it back.

I figured we'd just feed more of her usual food, but it looks like Purrfect Bistro cans don't come in nice big sizes that I can just scoop out the right weight.

I suppose we could also add some dry kibble in, but the less complicated feeding time is the better. (This cat loves crunchy food and I'm sure this is her preferred solution.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Pro tip on cardboard scratchers, check your local dollar store. Petsmart has scratchers for $8.99, directly next to Petsmart where I live is a 99 cents only store and you can pick up a scratcher for $1.99. Just make sure to toss out the crappy catnip they include and put some good stuff in.