Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't wrap my head around the idea that Rodimus Prime goes through this whole thing and transforms and wears his trailer just to become a slightly larger and nearly identical version of what he already was.
I mean G1-wise that's pretty much accurate, he just gets taller, more earth-toned, some pecs, and the face of an old man.

Orion Pax definitely got more of a makeover, although technically that was done by Alpha Trion, so I guess Optimus didn't change form at all when he got the Matrix. As a kid it always bothered me that unlike Optimus, Rodimus' trailer is a necessary part of his alt-mode. In the show it didn't matter much, but toy-wise Rodimus was un-transformable without the trailer.

Also while I'm posting Rodimi I might as well remind everyone this isn't the first time he's transformed with his trailer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I still have a protector armor set or whatever for that poo poo rear end classics rodimus and I've never once tried to use it. I even bought the appropriately colored rodimus to match the armor. I think they were both from a goon (thank you). gently caress I need to sell some poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheDK posted:

I still have a protector armor set or whatever for that poo poo rear end classics rodimus and I've never once tried to use it. I even bought the appropriately colored rodimus to match the armor. I think they were both from a goon (thank you). gently caress I need to sell some poo poo.

I think I sold you that Rodimus back when I was selling fuckloads of TFs here.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I think I sold you that Rodimus back when I was selling fuckloads of TFs here.

Edit: (thank you rhyno) one day l will play with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's not awful. I have the toon-color edition in the "sell these guys" box.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

He's not awful. I have the toon-color edition in the "sell these guys" box.

Wrong, he is pretty awful. His knees and elbows are essentially non-functional. They exist, sure, but in any practical application they are worthless. His head is super Mario live action movie goomba tiny, he is barely a hot rod and nowhere near a rodimus. His weapon is kinda cool which is the only saving grace. (The ketchup and mustard version is the worst, thanks cyclonus)

We shall see what happens with the armor. One day.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://io9.gizmodo.com/these-new-transformers-cyberverse-figures-are-fantastic-1823007404

First look at the Cyberverse toyline.

Shockwave's alt mode is hilarious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hasbro has heard our pleas and are producing transformers we won't want! Hallelujah!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I... kinda like that Shockwave

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

quote:

But if you grew up with the original toys, and were left confused and disappointed when Optimus Prime was turned into a gorilla, the toys from the latest series, Transformers Cyberverse, will definitely appeal to your nostalgic side.

I wish Transformers articles wouldn't be written by people who don't have a clue to what they're talking about. Also, wouldn't anyone who is nostalgic for G1 just buy MPs? Am I severely overestimating disposable income?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TaurusOxford posted:

I wish Transformers articles wouldn't be written by people who don't have a clue to what they're talking about. Also, wouldn't anyone who is nostalgic for G1 just buy MPs? Am I severely overestimating disposable income?

Uh, yeah dude

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

I'd say yes. By a large margin.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

TaurusOxford posted:

Lol I want my Ark and Nemesis crews to be MPs, but it's going to be a work in progress. The post-movie guys, I'm okay with just getting the newer stuff (Generations, CW, TR, PotP) because I like them. Plus I don't think we'd ever get a MP Slugslinger or Misfire.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That Grimlock looks very adequate and my detolf is almost out of space. I think I’m gonna have to toss the shelf of AoE dinobots to make room for Volcanicus and this new Grimlock and then I’ll have space for all the doofy Grims I have like the Mighty Mugg and the Potato Head ones

Fuckin Grimlock being popular again has really forced my hand into buying a lot more toys

And I still need to get the Black/Green FoC Grimlock thing from Whatever cartoon it is

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have never found so many new releases so quickly.

I can't believe this is Silverbolt retool.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 15, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Dammit. I need him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I... kinda like that Shockwave

Yeah that's the only one that really catches my eye, I might pick one up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rhyno posted:

Oh wow, so it is! Was Sky Lynx a retool as well or his own thing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh wow, so it is! Was Sky Lynx a retool as well or his own thing?

Nope, he was his own thing. I'm sure they'll retool him sooner or later.

A friend of mine texted me to let me know he hid an Elita-1 at the far away Walmart if I want to make the trip. Rodimus Unicronus has also been sighted at various stores already.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah that's the only one that really catches my eye, I might pick one up.

I rather like the Optimus Prime. It has a sort of Euro truck kind of feel to it. Megatron looks more like an artillery piece then a tank though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Need that Hungrrr.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys the torso tabs together in so many cool ways.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

According to the wiki, Hun-Grr just shares engineering with Silverbolt instead of being a retool. So it's like an Energon Starscream/G2 Smokescreen thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

According to the wiki, Hun-Grr just shares engineering with Silverbolt instead of being a retool. So it's like an Energon Starscream/G2 Smokescreen thing.

I think that still qualifies as a retool, just a really major one.

Abominus is gonna look legit facing off against Computron.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rhyno posted:

I have never found so many new releases so quickly.

something doofy you apparently can do with Hun-Gurr

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sockser posted:

That Grimlock looks very adequate and my detolf is almost out of space. I think I’m gonna have to toss the shelf of AoE dinobots to make room for Volcanicus and this new Grimlock and then I’ll have space for all the doofy Grims I have like the Mighty Mugg and the Potato Head ones

Fuckin Grimlock being popular again has really forced my hand into buying a lot more toys

And I still need to get the Black/Green FoC Grimlock thing from Whatever cartoon it is

He's pretty :3: looking. I want him more than the POTP one at this point really.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Fuckin hell Hun-Grr looks so much better than Scattershot

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So this news is relevant here

Apparently Power Rangers, not Super Sentai, is ending its toy deal with Bandai of Japan as of this year

Supposedly the company that's picked up the license starting in 2019 is Hasbro.

So I guess look forward to Transformers branded Megazords?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Huh. Maybe hasbro has a fuckload of combiner wars pegs sitting around unused.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Huh. Maybe hasbro has a fuckload of combiner wars pegs sitting around unused.

gently caress if I know

Megazords and Transformers. Litterally never saw that happening. It's not even like with Go-Bots, they're just so fundamentally separate.

And we're still getting Japanese Bandai ones in all of their bricky ...glory?

Weird times.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think it’s more likely Hasbro will keep them separate, to be honest. They haven’t really been putting Marvel and TFs together since getting that license, aside from the Crossovers line, which never used actual TF characters anyway and didn’t last long.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
In my idle browsing... they don't really sell the Japanese toys in America, everything is remade to be much cheaper and have fewer moving parts.
They also remove the roleplay toy interaction, usually. Like, Baltmatrix reviewed Ninja Steel's Megazord and compared it to Shurikenjin, and it's... pretty bad. I'm not sure why they remove so much engineering.

I'm not sure if Hasbro will make more complex mecha out of the designs. Power Rangers skews young. They might be able to make the mecha look better, but I imagine they'll use the engineering the Rescue Bots and quick change movie toys use.

This is also confusing, because Bandai of America had input on the toyline to last series, Kyuranger, in order to make it more sellable in America. Such as having a huge team with distinct suits (differentiated by fur, wings, scales, etc), or having a mecha with combiner wars' gimmick. Why would they do that and then bail on the license? The toyline's sales weren't a complete flop, and they actually sold better than last years.

I would like to see Power Rangers type Mecha with Transformers complexity, but I don't think it's really going to happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

I think it’s more likely Hasbro will keep them separate, to be honest. They haven’t really been putting Marvel and TFs together since getting that license, aside from the Crossovers line, which never used actual TF characters anyway and didn’t last long.

Well you need Marvel and Hasbro to agree to that. We are getting closer to that happening though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

The main thing that makes me think we might see some more interplay between the two is

Well

Marvel doesn't exactly have a lot of notable giant robot characters running around. Power Rangers is made of them.

Any time I look at a Transformer combiner, somewhere in the back of my head I just think of a Megazord. With Hasbro being so combiner happy lately, it's just a weird time for them to get the only toyline that relies even more heavily on combining giant robots

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s really gonna depend on what Saban wants, just like what Rhyni said re: Marvel. Even when TFs and Marvel crossed over in a comic they did it as a limited thing.

Saban has a history of not playing nice with the PR brand too so, they probably makes it even less likely.

Takara and Bandai Japan being competitors probably means they won’t share much of the TF style engineering either, because that’s mostly done on the Japanese side of Transformers. So if they take from TFs it’ll probably be Hasbro doing the engineering.

I guess a crossover comic series is possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have I brought up how much I love these new combiner feet? The hands are crappy but man, the new feet having ankle tilts and a port on the back where you can snap the hands in is awesome.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I saw an original Transformers Micromasters Missile Command that was near complete with box in a thrift store for 40 bucks. The only thing missing was one little gun thing that you can easily find on ebay. Is this a worthwhile purchase or is that too much? The box isn't perfect and it does kind of show its age but there' no major damage and it isn't ripped or anything. The little cardboard holders for the cars and stuff were even there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Rhyno posted:

Have I brought up how much I love these new combiner feet? The hands are crappy but man, the new feet having ankle tilts and a port on the back where you can snap the hands in is awesome.

What to do with the second thumb puzzles me

Do I pop it off? Have a weird fist with two thumbs? fold it up some weird way?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gammatron 64 posted:

What to do with the second thumb puzzles me

Do I pop it off? Have a weird fist with two thumbs? fold it up some weird way?

I take it off if they’re gonna be hands, leave it on if it’s getting plugged into the feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Found Slag and Swoop at retail tonight. They must have just unpacked a box or something, cause gobs of each of them. Still not getting them, but at least it's nice to hold a proper Swoop for the first time since I was a child.

How much is Takara Devastator going for on ebay these days?