Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

noted bloodsucker peter theil is taking his ball and heading to LA, because evidently the bay is too progressive for him

i'm surprised he's not hanging out in the o.c. or inland empire

proto-fascist vampires are kind of the core constituencies there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
energy news!

proposals to build peak-load plants - traditionally the domain of incredibly expensive dispatchable “peaker” natural gas plants - are starting to be won by solar/storage units

bloomberg posted:

Natural gas is getting edged out of power markets across the U.S. by two energy sources that, together, are proving to be an unbeatable mix: solar and batteries.

In just the latest example, First Solar Inc. won a power contract to supply Arizona’s biggest utility when electricity demand on its system typically peaks, between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. The panel maker beat out bids from even power plants burning cheap gas by proposing to build a 65-megawatt solar farm that will, in turn, feed a 50-megawatt battery system.

It’s a powerful combination for meeting peak demand because of when the sun shines. Here’s how it’ll work: The panels will generate solar power when the sun’s out to charge the batteries. The utility will draw on those batteries as the sun starts to set and demand starts to rise.

Just last week, NextEra Energy Inc.’s Florida utility similarly installed a battery system that’ll back up a solar farm and boost generation. In California, regulators have called on PG&E Corp. to use batteries or other non-fossil fuel resources instead of supplies from gas-fired plants to meet peak demand.

cheaper, quicker response, zero pollution. zero greenhouse emissions - whats not to love?

plus li-ion storage continues to drop in price by double digits year after year (it fell 24% in 2017) so the economics in favor of these hybrid arrangements will continue to rapidly improve

renewables have already bypassed coal (both new and current) and are now poised to do the same to natural gas

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-12/a-powerful-mix-of-solar-and-batteries-is-beating-natural-gas

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

this was a tech bubble thread title way back when, wasn't it? or was it cjs

bwm thread is now storing all the subtitles

seems not too bad an idea for the tech bubbel thread

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

energy news!

proposals to build peak-load plants - traditionally the domain of incredibly expensive dispatchable “peaker” natural gas plants - are starting to be won by solar/storage units

cheaper, quicker response, zero pollution. zero greenhouse emissions - whats not to love?

plus li-ion storage continues to drop in price by double digits year after year (it fell 24% in 2017) so the economics in favor of these hybrid arrangements will continue to rapidly improve

renewables have already bypassed coal (both new and current) and are now poised to do the same to natural gas

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-12/a-powerful-mix-of-solar-and-batteries-is-beating-natural-gas

it's a no-brainer that renewables would replace peak plants. it's just obvious. peak demand spikes when it's sunny out. which just happens to be when your solar capacity is working at its best.

where renewables are making no dent whatsoever is base power generation

coal usage is plunging because natural gas prices have made natural gas generation sane for base loads, which has never happened before. it is a new thing under the sun. most natural gas capacity coming online isn't peak plants -- it's gigantic fuckin coal-replacing base generators

solar and wind are awful for bearing the base load

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jimmy Carter posted:

I still can’t believe the amount of local pushback about “noise” people have had against electrifying loving Caltrain

you’re replacing bigass diesels that have pretty much zero emissions controls with trains whose loudest noise is when they go ‘toot toot’ at the crossings

basically just burn Atherton to the ground and rezone it as dense residential

it's completely just a fig leaf

their last attempt at opposition was on environmental grounds

the environmental impact of the project is expected to improve air quality by over 80%

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah basically people in atherton* are going through a list of the things california allows them to use to block projects, for what were originally reasonable reasons but were like all things twisted into where we are now

* their lawyers

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
then again a good chunk of atherton residents probably are lawyers so yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
didn't they reform CEQA recently so that you couldn't challenge green projects over a certain size like that

i remember something like that arose when they were planning levi's stadium lol

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jimmy Carter posted:

basically just burn Atherton to the ground and rezone it as dense residential

nah just rezone it, that’ll do more good and piss em off more.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a no-brainer that renewables would replace peak plants. it's just obvious. peak demand spikes when it's sunny out. which just happens to be when your solar capacity is working at its best.

where renewables are making no dent whatsoever is base power generation

coal usage is plunging because natural gas prices have made natural gas generation sane for base loads, which has never happened before. it is a new thing under the sun. most natural gas capacity coming online isn't peak plants -- it's gigantic fuckin coal-replacing base generators

solar and wind are awful for bearing the base load

how much is actual legitimate advances in technology and how much is advances in miner exploitation / chinese dumping

by which i mean actual human miners who dig minerals out of the earth not execrable cyber tulip poo poo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

didn't they reform CEQA recently so that you couldn't challenge green projects over a certain size like that

i remember something like that arose when they were planning levi's stadium lol

i would hope so; pretty terrible how a law to promote conservation and environmental practices turned into a law for neighborhood conservatism

then again with levis:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

how much is actual legitimate advances in technology and how much is advances in miner exploitation / chinese dumping

by which i mean actual human miners who dig minerals out of the earth not execrable cyber tulip poo poo

fracking, my man

the united states is back to being a leading natural gas producer, at rock-bottom prices

natural gas always dominated the peak plant market because natural gas generators are easy to turn on and off, spin up/down on demand. coal plants take hours and hours to turn on or turn off. nuclear plants can take days.

the price of the gas itself made sure it never challenged coal or nuclear for base generation. it just wasn't cost-effective to consider natural gas for your base loads.

now gas is cheap, and looks to remain cheap for decades to come. so people are turning down coal plants and firing up permanent, always-on gas generation.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also this is not a bad thing

yeah natural gas is still co2 output, but it's a lot less co2 per watt of output than coal was. and it doesn't belch millions of tons of horrible garbage into the air to poison human beings

natural gas energy production is cleaner in every way and a huge step forward in public health, even if it won't save us from rising seas

--

even the environmental damage from fracking is probably less than the cumulative damage from burning coal. you can belch toxic, radioactive garbage into the air, or you can keep it in surface ponds. either way, coal poisons the world.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah but that’s just regular coal. im more interested in clean coal.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm surprised he's not hanging

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

President Beep posted:

yeah but that’s just regular coal. im more interested in clean coal.

"clean" coal means keeping all of the disgusting toxic radioactive horrors in retention ponds instead of belching it into the air. it is a step forwards, of a sort. it's good not to be spraying pollutants into the air by the ton.

but we don't really have great ways to dispose of the concentrated waste, either. it's just sitting there, waiting for future generations to think of something clever

the coal slurry problem is like nuclear waste but 10,000x more voluminous and 10x as dangerous to human health.

--

edit: also there are two kinds of clean coal with horrible tradeoffs

the first stage is just to have scrubbers collecting as much pollutant material from exhaust as possible, and dump it into retention ponds.

the second stage is to avoid burning the coal entirely: you cook the coal and burn the much cleaner vapor rather than burn the coal directly. unfortunately this makes coal even less efficient and produces even more co2 per watt. and you still have to deal with the fuckin waste output!

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 15, 2018

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Fossil_Plant_coal_fly_ash_slurry_spill

disgusting

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
coal is the enemy of all living things

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

coal is the enemy of all living things

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the aftermath

that's not a hill of earth
thats a 25 foot embankment of coal plant ash.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
fracking, or how to cause earthquakes in oklahoma

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

the aftermath

that's not a hill of earth
thats a 25 foot embankment of coal plant ash.

whoever took this shot was probably wearing a full hazmat suit. just being in the presence of coal ash is a significant threat to your health

this land will be uninhabitable for hundreds or thousands of years

the damage to the underlying water table is incalculable

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

fracking, or how to cause earthquakes in oklahoma

and turn your kitchen faucet into a novelty flame thrower.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
clean coal is the biggest boondoggle

they have built one (1) clean coal plant. it was located in eastern mississippi. it cost almost $7bn and never worked

even if it had worked you end up expending almost as much energy "cleaning" the output as you get out of the reaction so you really three-five (incredibly expensive) cc plants to match the output of a single cc plant, which given the increased fuel and extraction and leakage results in "clean" electricity being not that much cleaner than an ordinary coal plant but costing 5x-10x as much to generate

and the "cleaning" process means youre still stuck will all the gunk and the carbon dioxide, the disposal plan for which is 1) pump it deep into the earth and 2) uhhh hope it doesnt leak out i guess?

just an amazingly lovely technology

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As a thought experiment for another thread, I calculated that if we could extract energy from the Earth's spin using giant continent-scale flywheels or electromagnetic drag against the solar winds or something, we could pull our current annual power consumption from that source for like 300 quadrillion years before the Earth stopped spinning. By the time the sun blows up into a red giant, we would have slowed our planet enough to lengthen the Earth's day by 1 millisecond.

So, get on that, I guess

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

a volt is ~15kwhr

these words bothered me a lot thanks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

As a thought experiment for another thread, I calculated that if we could extract energy from the Earth's spin using giant continent-scale flywheels or electromagnetic drag against the solar winds or something, we could pull our current annual power consumption from that source for like 300 quadrillion years before the Earth stopped spinning. By the time the sun blows up into a red giant, we would have slowed our planet enough to lengthen the Earth's day by 1 millisecond.

So, get on that, I guess

isn't that what tidal/ocean wave generators do already

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

So, get on that, I guess
various tidal energy schemes are toe-in-the-water efforts to do just that

e: fb

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

we can put a string on the moon and drag a bit magnet around. i saw it on youtube

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, we should do it, because it's effectively infinite source of energy for our species' foreseeable future

I'm sure that wouldn't stop some republican from saying that we were using up the world's supply of tides and the oceans were about to drain away, or something

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the second stage is to avoid burning the coal entirely: you cook the coal and burn the much cleaner vapor rather than burn the coal directly. unfortunately this makes coal even less efficient and produces even more co2 per watt. and you still have to deal with the fuckin waste output!

wait isn't that just town gas production? that's the big 'murica-saving innovation? the technology so filthy that there are still literal hundred-feet-high mounds of extravagantly-toxic waste dotted around every city in the uk?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Spatial posted:

we can put a string on the moon and drag a bit magnet around. i saw it on youtube

nice try, disinfo agent. everyone knows that the moon is a hologram.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

goddamnedtwisto posted:

wait isn't that just town gas production? that's the big 'murica-saving innovation? the technology so filthy that there are still literal hundred-feet-high mounds of extravagantly-toxic waste dotted around every city in the uk?

yes lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

ah but it's slightly more efficient than town gas, for just a few billion dollars per installation!

and we don't have mounds anymore. now we have ponds!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

clean coal is the biggest boondoggle

they have built one (1) clean coal plant. it was located in eastern mississippi. it cost almost $7bn and never worked

even if it had worked you end up expending almost as much energy "cleaning" the output as you get out of the reaction so you really three-five (incredibly expensive) cc plants to match the output of a single cc plant, which given the increased fuel and extraction and leakage results in "clean" electricity being not that much cleaner than an ordinary coal plant but costing 5x-10x as much to generate

and the "cleaning" process means youre still stuck will all the gunk and the carbon dioxide, the disposal plan for which is 1) pump it deep into the earth and 2) uhhh hope it doesnt leak out i guess?

just an amazingly lovely technology

there is another, still-operating duke energy plant in edwardsport, indiana. it cost several billion dollars, came in years past-schedule and over-budget, and just barely works.

"clean coal" is all the cost and complexity of nuclear, but with hundreds of times the horrifying environmental damage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ate all the Oreos posted:

isn't that what tidal/ocean wave generators do already

i was under the impression tidal generators don't really work at scale

turns out it's really hard to build huge plants full of moving parts that embed in seawater for decades at a time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
some dorkwad just shot his loving car into space its not a materials problem, its a funding problem

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

turns out it's really hard to build huge plants full of moving parts that embed in seawater for decades at a time

wonder if they’re feasible in freshwater tidal bodies.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

giant piles of what now? I thought the worst we had was arsenic laced ground from gasworks or is that what that was actually from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah they even have to pull ships out of the water from time to time to clean them up, and you pretty much have to be or pay a diver to scrub the bottom of your boat occasionally

Jonny 290 posted:

some dorkwad just shot his loving car into space its not a materials problem, its a funding problem

also this though