Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

That Works posted:

It's like the last 8 words of my post didn't specifically state it was a big deal.

Except the whole post was about how it wasn't. You "even felt pissed off at the disproportionate response".

And it wasn't just you I was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Except it was a massacre that's still on the top 10 list of mass shootings in the US. Two dudes with guns and nothing to do but murder trapped students for 45 minutes.

Yeah, it wasn't a big deal, you guys are right

We were lucky it turned out as well as it did. If Klebold hadn't hosed up the propane tank bomb timers, it would've been over 600 dead.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

BigDave posted:

We were lucky it turned out as well as it did. If Klebold hadn't hosed up the propane tank bomb timers, it would've been over 600 dead.

Yeah, I remember that, too. Thank God they were legitimately incompetent when it comes to explosives.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Except the whole post was about how it wasn't. You "even felt pissed off at the disproportionate response".

And it wasn't just you I was talking about.

Well yeah, lots more died that year just back in my hometown than in Columbine and it's like 'this has never happened before' except it happened in chunks of 1, 2 or 3 at a time like every month and doesn't make the news and that is frustrating to be a part of. We were upwards of 300-350 murders per year in the city at that point also and it didn't get a lot of national attention.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Terrorists kill people all the time if you ask me people really got bent out of shape about 9/11!!

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Except it was a massacre that's still on the top 10 list of mass shootings in the US. Two dudes with guns and nothing to do but murder trapped students for 45 minutes.

Obviously it wasn't if people forgot about it and are claiming this kind of poo poo didn't happen twenty years ago.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

kupachek posted:

Obviously it wasn't if people forgot about it and are claiming this kind of poo poo didn't happen twenty years ago.

I don't know if this is a serious post or not but if it is it's pretty fuckin dumb

That Works posted:

Well yeah, lots more died that year just back in my hometown than in Columbine and it's like 'this has never happened before' except it happened in chunks of 1, 2 or 3 at a time like every month and doesn't make the news and that is frustrating to be a part of. We were upwards of 300-350 murders per year in the city at that point also and it didn't get a lot of national attention.

Hmm yes those are the same thing you're right

Las Vegas should just get over it too I mean they've had more people killed and injured in the city per year than happened at that one event

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mods change my name posted:

if you ask me people really got bent out of shape about 9/11!!

unironically

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

I don't know if this is a serious post or not but if it is it's pretty fuckin dumb

Las Vegas should just get over it too I mean they've had more people killed and injured in the city per year than happened at that one event

I remember with extreme clarity it occurring.

The problem is there was a delay between hitting post and it actually posting so the context of the comment was lost.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Everyone knows that school shootings are all about “what have you done for me lately?”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah more people died in school shootings consistently over one year in one city vs one day in an entire state that had nearly zero before or after. But let's act like it's the singular event that is an important cultural shift and ignore that it had been happening all the time previously.

Las Vegas didn't have an equivalent non mass shooting body count for the year so that's a false composition.

Edit: last comment I'll make on it. People act like Columbine was a big turning point and to me it was slightly worse poo poo different day.

That Works fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 15, 2018

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

That Works posted:

Yeah more people died in school shootings consistently over one year in one city vs one day in an entire state that had nearly zero before or after. But let's act like it's the singular event that is an important cultural shift and ignore that it had been happening all the time previously.

Las Vegas didn't have an equivalent non mass shooting body count for the year so that's a false composition.

Edit: last comment I'll make on it. People act like Columbine was a big turning point and to me it was slightly worse poo poo different day.

Hrm in five seconds of googling I found that Las Vegas in 2016 by October was at 138 homicides.

Columbine was a huge shift in certain things: like the bell tower sniper in the 50's was the catalyst for the creation of SWAT teams, columbine was one of the first catalysts for active shooter training for police and other first responders. I. E. "don't lock the loving students inside with the shooters"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This is really dumb, the entire point was that a minority group has had to deal with x thing for years at a given level of intensity but a high intensity event occurs for white people and it warps the national narrative to be specially about that big event that affected white people and those minorities who suffered the same kind of thing get the same amount of attention before or after. The existence of minority kids shooting each other at or around school does not invalidate the tragedy of white kids getting shot up by other white kids. There is no zero sum sadness going on here. The complaint, as usual, is that no one cares that minority kids get shot.

Note: X can be getting shot at school or drug epidemics

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
“Columbine? Meh.” Is the spicy hot take I never knew I needed in my life.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eej posted:

This is really dumb, the entire point was that a minority group has had to deal with x thing for years at a given level of intensity but a high intensity event occurs for white people and it warps the national narrative to be specially about that big event that affected white people and those minorities who suffered the same kind of thing get the same amount of attention before or after. The existence of minority kids shooting each other at or around school does not invalidate the tragedy of white kids getting shot up by other white kids. There is no zero sum sadness going on here. The complaint, as usual, is that no one cares that minority kids get shot.

Thank you for summing it up better than I could

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

“Columbine? Meh.” Is the spicy hot take I never knew I needed in my life.

I don't think that's what anyone meant.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hrm in five seconds of googling I found that Las Vegas in 2016 by October was at 138 homicides.

Woah that's more than I expected for LV.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Goodbye Manafort. You could've rolled first, you didn't, and now Gates rolled on you.

https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/964277512212803584

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eej posted:

While I don't disagree with this, you also have to look at the root cause factor. Parents were used to hearing about drug related shootings in schools. This was true even for white neighborhoods (my small rural city had a heroin epidemic in the late 90s which included plenty of white drug violence). Regardless as to the truth of it, parents felt they still had some control over this by making sure their kids weren't caught up in this stuff.

Having pissed off teenagers randomly kill a bunch of kids for the gently caress of it? That was a completely new and terrifying, because how do you prevent that despite your best parenting skills.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

While I don't disagree with this, you also have to look at the root cause factor. Parents were used to hearing about drug related shootings in schools. This was true even for white neighborhoods (my small rural city had a heroin epidemic in the late 90s which included plenty of white drug violence). Regardless as to the truth of it, parents felt they still had some control over this by making sure their kids weren't caught up in this stuff.

Having pissed off teenagers randomly kill a bunch of kids for the gently caress of it? That was a completely new and terrifying, because how do you prevent that despite your best parenting skills.

That's a good point and is a different look at it than I normally give it.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yeah school violence wasn't unknown it just wasnt as random, good point. I mean loving inner city schools basically had a genre of movies for awhile with Dangerous Minds and that movie with SSG Barnes in it after he got back from Vietnam

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
https://twitter.com/BraylenNapier/status/964280170751430656

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I think we've all gotten on a similar page

This is okay

Also everyone go find a good dog to pet it makes your day better

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Also everyone go find a good dog to pet it makes your day better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN9cENdM27I

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
And now for the finest of liberal takes hot off the finest minds of the NYT

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/964254626139828226

psydude posted:

Good point, I don't disagree.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mods change my name posted:

yeah school violence wasn't unknown it just wasnt as random, good point. I mean loving inner city schools basically had a genre of movies for awhile with Dangerous Minds and that movie with SSG Barnes in it after he got back from Vietnam

The Substitute. Basically Kindergarten Cop but in highschool. Pretty sure Tom Berenger had the same makeup scars from Platoon too.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
after the ghostbusters broke up winston became a corrupt school administrator :(

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

psydude posted:

Yeah, this is what frightens me as a parent.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's hard to appreciate to what extent drug dealers, gangs, and drug violence were the big bad guy in the late 80s and 90s. poo poo, even videogames and hollywood movies were all about evil drug dealers.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's hard to appreciate to what extent drug dealers, gangs, and drug violence were the big bad guy in the late 80s and 90s. poo poo, even videogames and hollywood movies were all about evil drug dealers.

And occasionally a Libyan terrorist.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

YOU DIED (of cuteness)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I am reality.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The more time passes the less I want to bring kids into this world.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

I'm guessing "Get out" is going to be the most picked option.

It was probably the AF thread, but someone posted a link to retention data on pilots. Since the fighter pilot bonus was boosted to over $430k, the take rate has continued to drop. I think it's hovering in the 25% range. Fighter pilots. Being offered almost half a mil to stay. Walking.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The fear of school shootings and the fear of terrorists are very linked. It’s he randomness of lightning but with a human mind guiding it. That level of definite malevolence is something that scares people, because most of us live our lives in a safe and rational developed society bubble.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Tom Berenger and Ed Harris should have starred together in some 90s cop vs drug empire action movie.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
when that 18 year old kid is just lying there, dying to senseless retarded violence and Berenger is just like TAKE THE PAIN YOU FAT rear end

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

3 of the top 5 have been in the past 2 years (Vegas, Pulse, Sutherland Springs), and the odd ones out were the VT shooting in '07 and Sandy Hook in '12.

It's a big deal but it's like old sports records that were set before everyone started juicing, poo poo's in a new age now and the old stuff just doesn't measure up.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

3 of the top 5 have been in the past 2 years (Vegas, Pulse, Sutherland Springs), and the odd ones out were the VT shooting in '07 and Sandy Hook in '12.

It's a big deal but it's like old sports records that were set before everyone started juicing, poo poo's in a new age now and the old stuff just doesn't measure up.

We're already chilled out here itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It’ll have to take some ex-SOF dude loving taking people to Mozambique and getting the high score

• Locked thread