Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I thought disjointed just got renewed, but that may be because I’ve been expecting the worst in everything since November 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought disjointed just got renewed, but that may be because I’ve been expecting the worst in everything since November 2016.

According to Kathy Bates on the WTF Podcast, season 1 was split into two halves, and the second half was supposed to be the good half.

YEah, I'm not going back to that garbage pile.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope. What are other Netflix shows that got axed after one season?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

The Get Down and Girlboss come to mind. I think those might be it?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Gypsy, Girlboss, The Get Down

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And Residue!

Everyone always forgets Residue. :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It has all the ideas I liked about Star Trek without taking itself as seriously. A lot of Trek made the idea of exploring the unknown and seeing crazy poo poo and escaping via cleverness and bravado look really dull.

The first drat episode of the Orville set up the last-second solution early on, and also had everyone be delighted to come up with it.

Also considering it took like three years for TNG to "grow it's beard" the Orville actors and characters are already well ahead of their counterpart after just one short season. Bortus and Isaac especially are already so much better than Worf and Data were at that point just by having a modicum of humor and self-awareness and empathy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The first season of Discovery is basically the production team being salty with the premise they inherited from Bryan Fuller so they decided to do a soft reboot instead.

Fuller was going to do a more complete job of updating the asthethic for 2018 while retaining the core of the visual style, but he's pathologically incapable of being a showrunner it seems. I think we probably missed something very unique and special, but oh well.

If the CBS Viacom merger goes through, they should just retcon Discovery into the movie universe and be done with it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel bad for Fuller. He just seems like he's a dude who isn't willing to compromise his vision and drops out of projects when its clear he isn't going to get his way. It's a highly respectable quality as an artist, just not as a showrunner. The realities of compromise in Hollywood just seem a bit insurmountable if that's your attitude, unless you pull a Matthew Weiner and get a huge amount of bargaining power by having a huge hit show.

Still, though, I think it's commendable, if a bit suicidal for his career. We should be cheering him on for wanting to make the highest quality products. We just can't, you know, get attached to any that aren't already in the can.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Discovery was a pretty big hit, but he was gone like instantly right?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He left during preproduction, but the story and much of the writing was done under his watch.

Though it's pretty far flung from his original concept, which was an anthology series where each season would jump around in time and tell a different story. I still really, really, really want that show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Only the first three episodes had completed scripts. Everything beyond that was done by a new team including much of the production design.

He also didn't like the director that CBS appointed, he wanted to have a big name director set the tone for the pilot and reached out to Edgar Wright. However, CBS said no and gave him a director who just does normal CBS procedural stuff.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I started watching The Man in the High Castle and I have some questions and the thread for it is closed. I’m only on the first season so I’d appreciate minimal spoilers please.

1. Why does the Trade Minister seem to have so much power and influence? Wouldn’t this position be just the equivalent of Secretary of Commerce or something like that?

2. Did Julianna uhh, end up getting her job in the Japanese government building by blowing the dude? In the scene immediately after he unzips it looks like she ran away but then she ends up getting the job anyway.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I watched the first three 10 minute “episodes“ of Stargate origins. It’s bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Can confirm it's really bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So you're not going to subscribe to their ridiculously expensive monthly Stargate-only streaming service to watch the rest? Uh-oh. I think I might have found a flaw in their plan!!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I told my wife about the Stargate steaming service that there'd be a new show and she just shrugged and pointed at the SG1 and Atlantis boxsets we have.

I think they really overestimated casual interest in the series, and somehow missed that all the megafans probably have access to all the episodes already anyway.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Today marks the 30th anniversary of Red Dwarf.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is there really a streaming service exclusively for Stargate? I mean, I enjoyed SG-1, but... Stargate?

That's... ambitious?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edward Mass posted:

Today marks the 30th anniversary of Red Dwarf.

I always had the idea that it was older. Not much older, I thought it started in 1986.

Kind of crazy that Craig Charles was only 24 when it started because he doesn't seem that young in those Red Dwarf I episodes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

Is there really a streaming service exclusively for Stargate? I mean, I enjoyed SG-1, but... Stargate?

That's... ambitious?

MGM has always bungled their handling of the series but the writing is on the wall for everyone to try their own streaming service in the next few years.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

MGM has always bungled their handling of the series but the writing is on the wall for everyone to try their own streaming service in the next few years.

What I wanna know is do we just need to suffer through this for a few years until they all fail and we can get more reasonable services again, or is this just another casualty of our doomed capitalist society

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Disney is going to double down on their streaming services. They already have a separate ESPN service, but they are going to do a kid friendly movie streaming one and another one on top of that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When is some hero company going to come along and bundle all of these television services together into one package that I can pay $80/month for??

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I wrote a big-rear end Facebook post about OTT streaming services, and I won't bore you by posting it here, but the main idea was that it's a bubble that's going to burst within five years. We already saw SeeSo fold, and that had Comcast backing it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In fairness, everyone could see SeeSo folding the day it was started. Had good shows but so niche.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

I wrote a big-rear end Facebook post about OTT streaming services, and I won't bore you by posting it here, but the main idea was that it's a bubble that's going to burst within five years. We already saw SeeSo fold, and that had Comcast backing it.

I'd read it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:same:

Edward Mass posted:

"backing it"

But yeah, agreed. Seeso was just bad strategy. The scale was all wrong—the group they targeted was just too small to support the amount of content they'd need to keep happy. It is still a general concept that could be done really well if it were able to capture the right underserved market. Unfortunately they went after alt-comedy/podcast fans (probably because they're model ad customers) who are anything but starved for content. They could pay money for a niche service, sure. Or they could just keep listening to the same free content that caters to those same interests and sensibilities. Especially ones that keep getting those same guests promoting their Seeso shows, avoiding the need to pay for the content in the first place.

How's that anime streaming one doing? I keep hearing about it in various places, it seems like that might be a really solid example of a sustainable streaming service.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're talking about VRV, it's pretty good, I just have no idea how profitable they can possibly be considering the number of different services consolidated under its roof.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

1. Why does the Trade Minister seem to have so much power and influence? Wouldn’t this position be just the equivalent of Secretary of Commerce or something like that?

2. Did Julianna uhh, end up getting her job in the Japanese government building by blowing the dude? In the scene immediately after he unzips it looks like she ran away but then she ends up getting the job anyway.

Can't help you with the first one, though the second season does suggest that Tagomi doesn't really have all as much influence as the first season suggests.

On point 2... She didn't blow him. The skeezy minister who was interviewing her ended up hiring Amy Okuda's character, who did blow him. Juliana was hired by Trade Minister Tagomi because of the incident in the corridor where he dropped her necklace, which he took to be an auspicious sign.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Also, that awful Kathy Bates sitcom Disjointed got cancelled after only one season.

It did? Season 2 popped up on Netflix a couple weeks ago

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They split the season into two, wasn’t this already brought up in this thread?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I am pretty much the target audience for Seeso and really liked a lot of the stuff they had, but somehow I just never made any time to watch anything of theirs. They had all of Monty Python, SNL, and decent original content, but I don't think they advertised anywhere other than podcasts so I always forgot they were there unless I happened to forget to fast forward through ads while listening to CBB.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inspector 34 posted:

I am pretty much the target audience for Seeso and really liked a lot of the stuff they had, but somehow I just never made any time to watch anything of theirs. They had all of Monty Python, SNL, and decent original content, but I don't think they advertised anywhere other than podcasts so I always forgot they were there unless I happened to forget to fast forward through ads while listening to CBB.

The My Brother, My Brother, and Me show was very good and at only 6 episodes it didn't overstay its welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36_IZlBoyN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq7xIicAfWI

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think they were on Comedy Bang Bang promoting their show just a little bit before Seeso got shut down. I intended to watch, but then there was no more Seeso. Seemed like it caught everybody by surprise. Pretty sure the cast of Bajillion Dollar Properties was also on a bunch of podcasts promoting their latest season right before the shutdown too.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, I wrote this last June.

me, on Facebook posted:

Call me a curmudgeon, but I'm getting fed up with the sense of entitlement cord-cutters have. While it is a free country and you do not have to subscribe to cable or satellite, that does not give you the right to complain about the shows you can't watch. You gave up that right when you cut the cord.

I know what you're saying, you're telling me the system we have for television distribution doesn't work. Yes, and you can't legally smoke pot. The rules are the rules, and until they change we have to abide by them. Now, I don't actually pay for TV (hi mom, hi dad), but when the time comes I'll probably fork over the money I need to get my essential channels. I'll weigh my options, sure, but the soon-to-be AT&T SportsNet Southwest is only available on DirecTV, U-verse, and Xfinity and not on any OTT service. If my options improve, well, good. Until that day comes, I'm firmly attached to the cord.

When I complain about the lack of Astros on my TV, it's not just to AT&T, but also to Charter Communications. I know that television negotiations are a two-way street, but in the age of digital distribution of what you can't really call television anymore because you're not watching it on a television, people don't want full television channels anymore, saying "I don't want to pay for channels I don't watch." Well guess what rear end in a top hat, the channels you DO watch subsidize the ones you don't watch.

Now, I don't know how to post charts or anything in the middle of Facebook posts, but I would show that in 2016, ESPN, the Worldwide Leader in Sports(TM) not only has the most viewers of any non-news cable channel (the election skewers the data, for incredibly obvious reasons), but it also has the highest carriage fee, at about $6. 80% of that goes to Disney, who then can distribute that money to fund not only ESPN, but Freeform, which I imagine broadcasts programs that cord-cutters watch when it shows up on Hulu or whatever.

Now, if you ask me, personally, OTT streaming is dangerously close to becoming a bubble. You want proof? CBS All Access. Instead of joining Comcast, Disney, 21st Century Fox, and Time Warner in major content providers with distribution deals with Netflix et al., CBS said "there's no money in that!" and started their own OTT service that already has 1.5 million subscribers. It's the beginning a of fractalization of the industry (FilmStruck, BritBox, Shudder) that will make it so that, before you know it, you might be paying for so many services that cable would be cheaper!

In all the time I've been waiting for my cable company to pick up the channel the Astros have played on since 2013, I've noticed a common, frustrating refrain: "I want to watch the Astros locally, but I don't want to pay for cable." THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOUR DESIRES. How much would you be willing to pay for a streaming service that just shows Astros games? Well, add a 0 to the dollar amount and you've probably got a good estimate for how much AT&T would have to charge in order to make money on it. It's not a button they can just press and presto-maginto you've got local sports OTT.

With Amazon Video, you get what you pay for. That means you can watch Doctor Who! It also means you can't watch live TV outside of Thursday Night Football. You get what you pay for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Counterpoint. Per channel ala carte for premium content has existed for decades with HBO, Showtime, and Starz and they are doing just fine.

The market will correct, but linear cable is dying on the vine regardless.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That Facebook post is... a bit lacking.

spoiler: my posts are lacking

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished watching Devilman Crybaby tonight and man, that's some ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've never been a Taylor Kitsch fan but Waco has completely turned me around. Just a phenomenal performance.