Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I Before E posted:

Woke: Todd Solondz Joker Movie

Clenching my jaw for the rest of the day in sheer panic at the thought of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Fart City posted:

I like Baker a lot, but I’m not feeling this. It looks like something Jaz Coleman from the any music video for Genesis’ Land Of Confusion Killing Joke.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oscar Winner Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London, Videodrome, Men in Black and many, many more) has unveiled his take on the Joker for DC's Collectibles.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rick-baker-remakes-joker-halloween-bust-1084759

Curious that this is unveiled when the news about Phoenix hit up. But probably that is just me seeing things. Either way, cool design.

Unknown Hinson as the Joker? Sign me up

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't actually care if DC does a giant connected universe or not. Like I get a kick out of Marvel doing it but if DC doesn't want to do it its not something they need to do. If they want to tell separate stories, then go ahead. It worked before the MCU.

I'm a little weirded out if they try to do both at the same time, but like... I guess that's the best way of understanding the X-Men universe so whatever. It will still come down to whether I like it or not. But it will sure seem like a mess which will probably have a somewhat negative affect on me and make it impossible for me to do the "here, watch these movies in this order" recommendation when someone asks me about it.

I actually kind of like the idea of doing multiple Jokers as a kind of artistic choice about Joker's nature and different sides of him. Like, I can kind of buy that Leto's Joker is Harley's interpretation/memory of him which is all kinds of flawed and influenced by her obsession. And Affleck's Batman could have an entirely different interpretation/perspective of Joker played by a different actor. That could be kind of cool. But I have no idea if that's the idea or if its something that would be marketable.

I don't like that Joker design. Seems too demonic and inhuman. I think part of what makes Joker work is that for however evil and insane he is he's decidedly human, which makes him more horrifying in a way. But I suppose a more monsterous Joker could be one of those other interpretations.

Fart City posted:

I like Baker a lot, but I’m not feeling this. It looks like something from the music video for Genesis’ Land Of Confusion.

He reminds me of a Killer Klown.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 15, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
________/( Hey there, gorgeous... )

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Joker being literally demonic isn't very interesting to me...that's basically Man-Bat but with the Joker imo

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Something I can’t quite square is what a stand-alone Joker movie would even be about. The character is kind of inherently designed to be a mirror to others, and with the nature of his deliberately vague origin, I’m not sure what kind of narrative you would build. I guess maybe like, a Gotham-set Scarface?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Watch him take out one of the disposable Batman villains like poor old Black Mask.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fart City posted:

Something I can’t quite square is what a stand-alone Joker movie would even be about. The character is kind of inherently designed to be a mirror to others, and with the nature of his deliberately vague origin, I’m not sure what kind of narrative you would build. I guess maybe like, a Gotham-set Scarface?

Taxi driver but joker

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

quote:

I like Baker a lot, but I’m not feeling this. It looks like Jaz Coleman from any music video for Killing Joke

Astute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaz9z_8Lwt8

A Jaz Coleman Joker would be a must-see advance ticket purchase.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I just think having two different actors playing the Joker in different movies from the same studio is weird. It would be like if Octopussy and Never Say Never Again were both put out by MGM/UA.

The Joker's past is multiple choice. If they run with this and get a different actor for every new Joker movie going forward, this'll be brilliant.

The MSJ posted:

Give me a movie wth black POTUS Superman, WB.

Right on.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

The MSJ posted:

Give me a movie wth black POTUS Superman, WB.

The entire Justice League from Earth-23 would be infinitely better than what we have right now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4xca7rnr0

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I can't watch this at work right now

is it actually worth watching or is it awful

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Two Major Motion Pictures in less than a year featuring my man, The Cyborg---it's a regular Booyahnissance

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I just think having two different actors playing the Joker in different movies from the same studio is weird. It would be like if Octopussy and Never Say Never Again were both put out by MGM/UA.

A few months ago WB announced that they will continue with the DCEU, but they are also doing a (yet to be named) side production for stand-alone DC movies that will ignore the DCEU completely.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/16387706/wonder-woman-batman-dc-expanded-cinematic-universe-warner-bros-standalone

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Astute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaz9z_8Lwt8

A Jaz Coleman Joker would be a must-see advance ticket purchase.

Absolutely. Kind of amazing no one's asked him before.
Though based on Killing Joke's history the tickets would go on sale and then there would be silence until the film finally appeared three years later.

Reminder that the comic (1988) is probably named after the band (1979).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

A few months ago WB announced that they will continue with the DCEU, but they are also doing a (yet to be named) side production for stand-alone DC movies that will ignore the DCEU completely.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/16387706/wonder-woman-batman-dc-expanded-cinematic-universe-warner-bros-standalone

That just seems like a loving weird choice. I mean, you do you, but that’s just weird. People make the MCU/X-men comparison but I feel like that’s different.

If the XMen were part of MCU and you had Fassbender playing Magneto and then you went and had a stand-alone Magento movie with De Niro playing Magneto, it would be weird. I’m not saying it would be bad, just loving odd.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

thrawn527 posted:

...what the gently caress are you doing, WB?

If they've got two actors for the joker it sort of goes along with the theory that in this timeline the original joker was killed and Leto joker is actually one of the robins - maybe the standalone movie will be set before/during that transition?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Ebert's review pointed out that Dr. Schultz is the one playing a wizard who comes from nowhere and exists to guide others to their destiny, though he's a more paternalistic figure.

And a wizard who's completely out of his depth after a certain point in the story. After Schultz dies Django transforms from being merely talented to being unstoppable, because he's no longer in a white guy's movie, he's now unchained, hence the title.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is the Phoenix casting the one Scorcese is supposedly directing? I'm OK with it but still think Crispin Glover being crazy would be amazing. Wasn't Dicaprio rumored for a while? I'd like to see that also.

But, yeah, DC seems to have no loving idea what their doing and people are right to be confused.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The reality where Jason Todd goes insane and beats Dick Grayson to death and starts calling himself The Joker even though there's already another Joker who's in Arkham sounds p. intense

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Mordiceius posted:

That just seems like a loving weird choice. I mean, you do you, but that’s just weird. People make the MCU/X-men comparison but I feel like that’s different.

If the XMen were part of MCU and you had Fassbender playing Magneto and then you went and had a stand-alone Magento movie with De Niro playing Magneto, it would be weird. I’m not saying it would be bad, just loving odd.

Do you get confused when there were 3 different Sherlocks at the same time?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BiggerBoat posted:

Is the Phoenix casting the one Scorcese is supposedly directing?

Producing, I believe.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Is the Phoenix casting the one Scorcese is supposedly directing? I'm OK with it but still think Crispin Glover being crazy would be amazing. Wasn't Dicaprio rumored for a while? I'd like to see that also.

But, yeah, DC seems to have no loving idea what their doing and people are right to be confused.

I remember Crispin as one of those names that got tossed around a lot during the rumors leading up to The Dark Knight. I wouldn't doubt he'd be great, but the casting would be too obvious. Like casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

S.J. posted:

I can't watch this at work right now

is it actually worth watching or is it awful

Based on the title and the half of a face he decided to put into the cover image I'm going to take a WILD guess and say it's awful.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:yeah:
Honestly I find it crazy that Black Dynamite is so popular without familiarity of Dolemite.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oscar Winner Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London, Videodrome, Men in Black and many, many more) has unveiled his take on the Joker for DC's Collectibles.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rick-baker-remakes-joker-halloween-bust-1084759

Curious that this is unveiled when the news about Phoenix hit up. But probably that is just me seeing things. Either way, cool design.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EmptyVessel posted:

Absolutely. Kind of amazing no one's asked him before.
Though based on Killing Joke's history the tickets would go on sale and then there would be silence until the film finally appeared three years later.

Reminder that the comic (1988) is probably named after the band (1979).

I can’t imagine any Batman standing up to Coleman’s Joker as far as screen presence, even at his current age. He would absolutely take over the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
After Ledger's Joker I don't think anyone is going to take issue with the Joker completely stealing the show from whoever plays Batman.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BiggerBoat posted:

still think Crispin Glover being crazy would be amazing

Bold choice shooting the film in a documentary format.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
He said he wanted to play a Bond villain but I'd kill to see Herzog's Ventriloquist or Penguin or something.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Herzog for Professor Pyg, pls.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

I would say Crispin Glover.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The show Gotham has Michael Cerveris playing Professor Pyg and he's been a delight.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Herzog is clearly Mr. Freeze, in the Otto Preminger tradition.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

how about we don't use Professor Pyg at all in anything, ever

because he's a lovely loving ~edgy~ villain that somehow escaped the 90s to debut in like 2007-2008

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Calendar man

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Professor Pyg is one where I just don't get the appeal. He's fine as a monster raving loony for Batman to punch out and throw back in the asylum, but building a story around him?

Likewise, I was introduced to Calendar Man in Long Halloween, and that's the role where he fits best: a tvery silly old-school Batman villain who is upset because he's a tryhard and the real villains get more attention than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
On Gotham Pygs current arc is killing dirty cops while taunting Gordon about it since he's the only good one left.