Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Shumagorath posted:

Are the ME3 servers down for anyone else?
Just tested, said they were down but I was able to connect to MP and start a match, somebody joined partway through so they're still functioning. GAW score was there when I started the match but said it couldn't retrieve after :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SP I understand your pain of Chargin' across the galaxy on insanity, I'm starting up ME:A again playing as a vanguard from scratch and holy poo poo are my shields tissue paper.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

SP I understand your pain of Chargin' across the galaxy on insanity, I'm starting up ME:A again playing as a vanguard from scratch and holy poo poo are my shields tissue paper.
GA is a lot like the other hard fights in the series in that you do it early and even on an import you don't have all your bonuses so it sucks. MEA does have boostjumpcharge though :getin:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SubponticatePoster posted:

MEA does have boostjumpcharge though :getin:

Which owns. Combat in this game is so loving fluid and is peak vanguard especially when charge is max'd out. You're never not charging or jump-jetting to then charge and nova.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Sidequest for fire

Sorry about the delay, I've been redoing the office into a den/guestroom which involves lots of cleaning, moving things, and putting together about $500 worth of Ikea furniture :gonk: Lazyfire joins me for a bunch of crap we picked up off-camera. I thought, "Eh, I'll just turn in all these sidequests now so we can get to the plot," and the entire video ended up being 90 minutes so it's broken up into a few updates. Jesus. If you want something with a bit more action go check out his LP of Wolfenstein TNC

In ME3 you get sidequests mostly by walking past people and overhearing their conversations. On one hand this is nice since you don't actually have to talk to everyone to get stuff, on the other you may miss something if you're not within earshot. We run into a lot of people we know along the way and hand over piles of poo poo we found in space. If you find the thing before you actually get the sidequest it doesn't break anything and you can just hand it in when you run into the person. Many of these are timed since A Thing Happens later and if you haven't turned them in by then you're out whatever piddly amounts of cash and/or war assets you would have gotten. Oh no. Kasumi's quest has to be done in one go, if you leave the Citadel then it fails and you don't get to resolve it which is annoying so make sure you do that one to resolution before buggering off otherwise you'll never see her again :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

She'll just stand at the docking area invisible forever. All alone. :smith:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Nah, Kasumi will wander off and start stealing poo poo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Stolen from C-spam:

Javik is the best.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Hahaha that's awesome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I have to respectfully disagree with my pal Lazyfire. The casual jacket in Andromeda is awesome and it really made me feel like I was the main character of a lovely mid-budget Aughties sci-fi show. It was like I was Kevin Sorbo, only, you know, not an rear end in a top hat.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I have to respectfully disagree with my pal Lazyfire. The casual jacket in Andromeda is awesome and it really made me feel like I was the main character of a lovely mid-budget Aughties sci-fi show. It was like I was Kevin Sorbo, only, you know, not an rear end in a top hat.

Then you were a terrible, terrible Shepard

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Badassfully

More Citadel poo poo. Lots of talking and sidequest grabbing. Also DLC foreshadowing and running gags. I like the immersive stuff going on but there are almost too many conversations as they can overlap and then you sort of miss both. One more video and then we can get on with the plot where awesome things start happening.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shepard walking around the Citadel doing sidequests is strangely enjoyable. With a few exceptions. The npc conversations have somehow managed to script together the radiant mess of Elderscrolls stumbling into each other and babbling away. Kinda impressive in a way.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I swear like half of ME3 is Shepard trying to get his/her crewmates laid and it get weird and somewhat creepy later on.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

The lady marine in the club was incredibly surreal when I played the game. Seems that I’d used that hairstyle and color on my custom Shepard, and the face was fairly close. Looked like my twin, and I just figured it was some surreal commentary in the way I’d been playing her. Weird, since I was so damned Paragon my rear end squeaked when I walked. Hadn’t even romanced anybody.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like that Vega makes it look like he's getting you to increase morale, but he was just goading you into buying him a drink

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even after Aria being someone's special character in ME2 that scene with the councillor is still groan worthy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Even after Aria being someone's special character in ME2 that scene with the councillor is still groan worthy.

I will testify in front of a jury, a judge, and God himself that Aria is worse than Kai Lang.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I will testify in front of a jury, a judge, and God himself that Aria is worse than Kai Lang.

I mostly agree for ME 3, I think she basically works in ME 2 though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

I like that Vega makes it look like he's getting you to increase morale, but he was just goading you into buying him a drink

Vega is one of ME3's most pleasant surprises. He's such a fantastic character to the point where I honestly wish he was in ME2 or even ME1 so that we could have had more time with him. Any combination of him and Garrus/Javik/Ashley are just delightful to watch and listen to.

Like, if you take anyone else to Eden Prime with Liara to get Javik, when the dinosaur bones line comes up, everyone else is just knowingly loving with her to get her riled up. Vega? Vega just really loves dinosaurs :allears:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 11, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Vega is the only human party member I've voluntarily brought with me in any Mass Effect game. He's just a good dude.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Vega is the only human party member I've voluntarily brought with me in any Mass Effect game. He's just a good dude.

"Hey, I just like Dinosaurs :downs:."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Shepard running around the Citadel doing side quests was hilarious. Picture it: You're some dude on the Citadel. "Man, if only I had a test tube full of Prothean tears! I could use it to create an anti-reaper grenade!" A couple hours later, Shepard walks up to you. "I taunted Javik for 30 minutes to get this. I hope it's what you need."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Mad World

Last of the Citadel poo poo (for this round, anyway). We run into a few people we know, solve Bau's problem and pick up Kasumi as a war asset. We'll see her again before endgame. Now we can get on with the goddamn plot.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
If Shepard's eye wanders any further, it's going to loop around the other side.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pointlessone posted:

If Shepard's eye wanders any further, it's going to loop around the other side.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This is kind of the reason I hated ME3. The combat was really fun, but Bioware decided it was absolutely necessary to kill the flow of the game by making you go talk to people endlessly. "Oh hey, you just had four really fun combat missions in varied environments with interesting challenges! Time to go run around the Citadel begging people for help for an hour!"

Also, did Miranda keep all of her outfits and just paint over the Cerberus logo?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

grack posted:

Also, did Miranda keep all of her outfits and just paint over the Cerberus logo?

She sure did and so did Jacob!

Again, if you're playing the PC version, there's a really nice mod that replaces her Ceberus onesie with a reskinned version of Ashley's default weirdass dress armor. It looks infinitely better on her than it ever does on Ash.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

She sure did and so did Jacob!

Again, if you're playing the PC version, there's a really nice mod that replaces her Ceberus onesie with a reskinned version of Ashley's default weirdass dress armor. It looks infinitely better on her than it ever does on Ash.

I wish someone mods ME2 to give Miranda that outift

I agree, it fits Miranda far better than Ash

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Huh. That actually does look pretty cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

We've been fighting mustache twirling Cerberus criminals murdering people most of the game and suddenly ms creepy fanservice, also known from ME2 as Cerberus apologist number one, shows up and is immediately fully trusted? Despite having her head so far up the illusive mans rear end in the previous game she could lick the back of his teeth.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The alternate outfits for Miranda in ME2 are slightly less obnoxious than her weird catsuit thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Poil posted:

We've been fighting mustache twirling Cerberus criminals murdering people most of the game and suddenly ms creepy fanservice, also known from ME2 as Cerberus apologist number one, shows up and is immediately fully trusted? Despite having her head so far up the illusive mans rear end in the previous game she could lick the back of his teeth.

This is why I always bring Miranda with me to the final fight of ME2. If she survives the suicide mission, she kicks off the epilogue by straight up telling the Illusive Man to gently caress off, she quits, and then hangs up on him. So that makes it a little more explicit that she’s goddamn done with Cerberus. Everyone else is just like “yeah, I guess we don’t work you for you anymore, bye,” when they hang up on him. Miranda’s is the only one that’s actually interested because only she has the relevant relationship with TIM to make it resonant and complete here character arc in 2.

My issue is that Miranda shows up in 3 ostensibly on the run from both Cerberus and the Alliance and is like “oh, I can’t take the chance of being seen anywhere...” And then proceeds to have an extended conversation with Shepard out in public wearing the same face, hair, and even clothing she did while working for Cerberus because BioWare is lazy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

nine-gear crow posted:

My issue is that Miranda shows up in 3 ostensibly on the run from both Cerberus and the Alliance and is like “oh, I can’t take the chance of being seen anywhere...” And then proceeds to have an extended conversation with Shepard out in public wearing the same face, hair, and even clothing she did while working for Cerberus because BioWare is lazy.
Yeah, that is exceptionally dumb. Like Kelly already has a different hairdo and is wearing awful clothes (not to mention a different VA, boy she really was incognito!) and Shep still tells her to change her look and name. I know Miranda is canonically a biotic badass, but at the very least meet in an out-of-the-way place like she ends up doing later.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Look, it takes a lot of effort for Miranda to vaccuum seal herself in to that outfit every day. If she didn't go where people can see her it's basically a waste.

Also, she does manage to evade Cerberus a lot longer than Jimmy

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Aw yiss

Victus told us that in order for the Turians to help they need to take some pressure off Palaven by getting the Krogan to help. So we have to try and talk them into it. We don't have to talk too hard, as we're already BFF's with the HKIG. :3: He wants a pretty simple thing that isn't simple at all, except we saved Maelon's research in 2 which means we're most of the way there. Turns out a few lady krogan escaped the facility and the Salarians kidnapped took them for safekeeping. The Dalatrass is a total rear end in a top hat and we force the issue with some help from Victus.

On Sur'Kesh we run into another couple old friends and then Cerberus shows up to really get the party started. We never do find out how Cerberus knows about all this poo poo. However a couple platoons of Cerb grunts are barely a speedbump. Also lots of fun dialogue between everyone. I personally think the Tuchanka arc has the best writing in the whole series, it has both the most :black101: and :cry: moments (assuming you aren't a horrible person that got everyone killed in earlier games).

We get a couple of sidequests that need to be done before you finish the arc. Victus's is a two-parter while Wrex's is a single mission. Both are good. You also get another one of the MP maps to do. Buckle in kids!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Did anyone else get to the cutscene with Kirrahae and think, "For a Special Forces Major you are a lovely, lovely shot"?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This section of the game probably has some of the best writing in the series, but my :spergin: made it hard to enjoy portions of this particular mission. Really, Cerberus can block all communications, mount a massive stealth raid, and genuinely threaten a secret base on the Salarian homeworld? It's no less stupid than what happens later, but all they had to do is simply place the base on a random planet to fix all of the plot holes
/sperg

To actually contribute to the discussion, I feel like it's implied that the Dalatrass tipped off Cerberus and gave them a window to attack. It isn't really stated; all I have to go on is her reaction to Wrex and his demands, but since even Liara didn't even have a clue about the base or the Krogans in it...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've always assumed Cerberus were just getting their intel and gadgets straight from the Reapers at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

To actually contribute to the discussion, I feel like it's implied that the Dalatrass tipped off Cerberus and gave them a window to attack. It isn't really stated; all I have to go on is her reaction to Wrex and his demands, but since even Liara didn't even have a clue about the base or the Krogans in it...

Huh. In all my times through the game, I'd never considered that possibility. That's a pretty cool detail... and makes me hate Linron even more than I ever did before.

Also Cerberus easily loving with the STG I can actually buy, since they were created explicitly to be humanity's analog to STG before they went rogue. Plus the tech they scraped out of the wreckage of the Collector base is said to have jumped their capabilities forward by decades compared to what they could do in ME2. And they brought a person back from the loving dead in that game.