Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Then why are you complaining? You either get to spend less money than you expected if something you're following ties in, or are not affected in any way at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's funny how you responded to one post and quoted another where I spelled out the point I was making and yet are asking what point I was making

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Wolverine mini has a first issue that is $6 and that convinced me to not bother with it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You "point" seems to be "I can't believe Marvel dares to print comics I don't care about!" Like I just don't understand complaining about a thing that doesn't affect things you are reading in any way. I guess if you were reading USAvengers, then sure, feel free to complain. Squirrel Girl or Thor or Captain America or Iron Man isn't changing due to Wolverine Coming Back: The Miniseries or Avengers: We Shoved All The Avengers Into A Single Title or Guardians of the Galaxy: The Rename.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would say go back and try again but i get the feeling youre not interested in being anything other than disingenuous here

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

I would say go back and try again but i get the feeling youre not interested in being anything other than disingenuous here

You complain a lot about comics.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's almost like :words: mean things and if you properly ignore them then you can kramer on in and post about whatever you want because you really need to get a low-effort sick burn on a piece of poo poo monster piece of poo poo company that lies about everything

thanks for the input though, i'll be sure to check with you about if it's okay to post in the future

Civil War: 90+ issues across 20+ titles
Civil War II: 70+ issues across ~18 titles
Secret Empire: 70+ issues across 15+ titles

No Surrender: 16 issues across between 1-3 titles depending on how you look at it
Hunt for Wolverine: 16 issues of four four issue mini-series and a one-shot

It's almost as if these are different things? You can hate both, of course.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 13, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m only talking about Marvel in the silver age, and I dunno what you’re talking about wih Cap. Marvel heroes written by Stan, all of them, were racist in the sense that they contributed to systemic racism, but otherwise they’re about as progressive as could hope for from a mainstream media publication of the time. Cap has some great silver age speeches about how racists are actually enemies of America trying to divide the country with their hatred.

And nothing in the last three years was about Cap being actively racist. Definitely fascist, but I read secret empire and I didn’t see anything that Cap did was that racist.

I'm just going to pretend that second paragraph isn't there, I don't have the energy for that.

I mean I just don't understand you making the distinction between golden age and silver age, why is it fine to leave Captain America spouting racial slurs in the past because it happened late 40s and 50s as opposed to Xavier being creepy in the 60s, with both happening long before (I assume) you were born. We were making fun of John Byrne and his Classicist take on books, I don't see any difference.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jordan7hm posted:

You complain a lot about comics.

I post about something i like and get one or two responses at most. The last few times i tried to talk about something i liked no one responded at all. I complain about something and all of the sudden theres ten responses. Which one generates more conversation :shrug:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

site posted:

I post about something i like and get one or two responses at most. The last few times i tried to talk about something i liked no one responded at all. I complain about something and all of the sudden theres ten responses. Which one generates more conversation :shrug:

So you complain because that's the only way you can get attention? I don't understand why only getting a couple responses is bad. If you don't want to engage with someone like E&C then don't post poorly supported negativity.

Or do, because I typically find what he posts interesting.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I mean, I think Site is kinda right that it feels more than ever that there's an event or big deal crossover storyline that's going to change everything, and it's getting increasingly difficult to follow a series without it feeling like it can get either cancelled early, put into a crossover with a series you don't care about, or tie in to an event that you don't think sounds interesting

I dropped Doctor Strange because that Damnation story was something I didn't want to read and X-Men Blue is crossing over with Venom for some reason. "Jusy don't read it" is fine, I guess, but when morr and more books are getting involved in various different things it feels limiting.

When I dropped a bunch of books a while back, Marvel was by far the one company I dropped the most for. Not because I really disliked those books, but because I realized they were about to become big money sinks.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

I'm just going to pretend that second paragraph isn't there, I don't have the energy for that.

I mean I just don't understand you making the distinction between golden age and silver age, why is it fine to leave Captain America spouting racial slurs in the past because it happened late 40s and 50s as opposed to Xavier being creepy in the 60s, with both happening long before (I assume) you were born. We were making fun of John Byrne and his Classicist take on books, I don't see any difference.

quote:

You're talking about an era where Captain America was actively racist and Batman was a causal murder.

Golden age cap is not from the same era as silver age cap, or silver age Xavier.

To say nothing of your absurd Batman comment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zachack posted:

So you complain because that's the only way you can get attention? I don't understand why only getting a couple responses is bad. If you don't want to engage with someone like E&C then don't post poorly supported negativity.

Or do, because I typically find what he posts interesting.

Well I mean most often if I am leaving a complaint about something it's because it does actually bug me (obviously there are times when such things are done in jest), but if the point of a forum is to converse with other people, and attempting to start a conversation about a thing I liked leads to one or two people leaving a quick comment or nothing at all then there's not much incentive towards me posting those things. Whereas complaining generates a positive feedback loop of getting people talking, not just to me but amongst other posters, and I like seeing what y'all have to say about stuff.

And it's not just me, Im not gonna assume everyone has the same reasons as me but much of this thread is fueled by one complaint or another someone has.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

I dropped Doctor Strange because that Damnation story was something I didn't want to read

You dropped the current storyline? It hasn't got to becoming a tie-in yet.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I didn't want to grow too attached.

My weekly buying is the stuff that I really want to see the next issue of as soon as possible. I can wait for Doctor Strange and Damnation to be over first.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jordan7hm posted:

Golden age cap is not from the same era as silver age cap, or silver age Xavier.

To say nothing of your absurd Batman comment.

Batman's murder count is roughly the same as Xavier's "panels pining for Jean Grey" count.

And that doesn't change my point at all. I don't understand how you can leave one in the past and not the other, or why either should be part of the modern characterizations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

When did Batman kill somebody in the silver age?

Edit - Like, legitimately, I haven't read much silver age DC outside of Doom Patrol and Flash

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He didn't, I was really lazily grouping all comics that happened before the 80s in one era, it was wrong to do and I apologize.

E: Very early in Batman's comics he killed and used guns but later writers thought better of this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Roth posted:

When did Batman kill somebody in the silver age?

Edit - Like, legitimately, I haven't read much silver age DC outside of Doom Patrol and Flash

http://sacomics.blogspot.com/2005/08/batman-and-guns.html

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Guys, I really liked that Infinity Countdown: Adam Warlock issue. I was overjoyed to see Allred do a two page recap of Thor #165-166. Those issues are a good example of Kirby doing the early cosmic stuff, and leads into the storyline where Thor first meets Galactus face to face.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 13, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I mean if you ignore all the time before the Phoenix, her entire run in X-Factor and most of the time she was with the X-men before Morrison showed up, sure.

Look man I'm just saying that by and large, for most people Jean Grey is synonymous with Dark Phoenix. Whether that's fair or not is a whole other discussion (and you're right that it's probably not fair), but out of all the X-Men stories in their long long history, the Dark Phoenix Saga is the one that always gets adapted in practically every X-Men adaptation from cartoons to movies to video games, and so that's what people know about her. It's kind of a twist on the old "everyone wants to write a Hank Pym redemption story but no one wants to just write Hank Pym" problem, everyone wants to write Jean Grey putting the Phoenix in the past or controlling the Phoenix Force or some other bullshit, but no one wants to just ignore the goddamn Phoenix when she's around.* (I am aware that X-Men Blue is doing just that as of now and I hope they can keep that streak alive)

*This also applies to how everyone draws attention to her deaths/rebirths as if everyone in the loving Marvel universe doesn't have at least one death under their belt

e: poo poo that was a couple of pages back, sorry for bringing this back up

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 14, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
No forgiveness.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is very clearly a dick on this guys head right??

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
God drat, Deadpool just spirals further and further into sadness. Not sure if I'm ready for the next issue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stan loving rules.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Yep.

But Jack's still the best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah and Steve Ditko is

Uh.... hosed if I know?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That belongs in the polititoons thread

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

That belongs in the polititoons thread

It was.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah and Steve Ditko is

Uh.... hosed if I know?

This is literally "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

This is literally "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"

Ditko is an objectivist.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I haven’t been following anything since Secret Wars ended as none of the whole All New stuff really caught my attention (team reshuffles and all) and Captain America Nazi really didn’t interest me, but there was supposed to be a relaunch in September last year, how did that wind going?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Legacy didn't really end up being a relaunch just a series of one shots (well I guess for cap and falcon it was). Legacy #1 is worth a read for avengers 1000000 BC if you can get it cheap. The only character one shot I read was Hawkeye & Hawkeye which was alright but nothing special imo

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Hawkeye one pays off later on in the series.

edit: To be clear for the dude, you're talking about 'Generations'

EDIT!!
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/964593758523322368

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 16, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol better late than never i guess

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Perhaps this is too hot of a take, but I think I'm perfectly fine with SHIELD just being a clandestine spy organization, I don't need or want them to have some stupid backstory where it turns out everyone who was ever cool in a history book belonged to that organization and they had super steampunk science.

I don't know, maybe Assassin's Creed just burned me out on stories about ancient historical illuminati.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Assassin's Creed makes me question why people like video games, so probably

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Hawkeye one pays off later on in the series.

edit: To be clear for the dude, you're talking about 'Generations'

EDIT!!
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/964593758523322368

Yeah sure, and we're going to get the end of MiracleMan too.

(:woop:)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Perhaps this is too hot of a take, but I think I'm perfectly fine with SHIELD just being a clandestine spy organization, I don't need or want them to have some stupid backstory where it turns out everyone who was ever cool in a history book belonged to that organization and they had super steampunk science.

I don't know, maybe Assassin's Creed just burned me out on stories about ancient historical illuminati.

Welcome to me 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/964595640809480193

• Locked thread