Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Are T2 crits both wounds with no save?

The Wiki posted:

Critical hits with T2 Special Ammunition cause the target to lose two points directly from his Wounds/STR Attribute, bypassing the usual ARM Roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, if you crit with a T2 weapon you automatically deduct two points from the wound/str value.

Thankfully there aren't any T2 CC weapons.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Jesus. Ariadna were a mistake.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jesus. Ariadna were a mistake.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I mean monofillament CC weapons and Mines are a thing too. YJ have a CC25 fellow with MA lvl 5 so critting on 15s with a damage 12 ARM roll vs going straight to dead.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Flip (or anyone else who's built one), how did you secure the Anathematic's antennae? Follow up, how do you transport it?

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Flip (or anyone else who's built one), how did you secure the Anathematic's antennae? Follow up, how do you transport it?

Magnetic base bottoms all the way, meself. I did have to use tiny pins to anchor them to the main body, though.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, I inset magnets into the antennae as well.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Maximus might be a joke as 'infinity scale', but hot drat - he paints himself.

God I wish there were more 54mm skirmish games.

What is your recipe for that gold?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Zalabar posted:

Magnetic base bottoms all the way, meself.

This is what I figured most have done. I could glue a metal plate in my pluck foam and magnetize it to that.

Signal posted:

How the gently caress is that done.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I just glued the fuckers on. They've never fallen off. I store it lying down in my case. Points forward so hes lying on his back. I've never had a problem.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Red Shoe posted:

What is your recipe for that gold?

Um, good question, that was days ago! I was using scale 75 paints with a zenithal grey-on-black basecoat. Most the gold is just thin Sahara Yellow - a slightly brown/mustardy yellow. I focused on building up the colour around the horizon, then started adding White Sands (off white) in to bring it up to near-white. For depth in the shadow i used a little bit of Dubai Brown (eq to bestial brown) mixed with either black or the sahara yellow.

It was actually quite quick, 2 hours tops. The trick is not to let the colour overpower the basecoat except near the bright parts.

Signal posted:

What the gently caress

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 12, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Might have to nick that gold mate, I've been using their gold metallics which are beautiful, but that looks amazing.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just got BNK. They are two pieces. Fair play

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Just got BNK. They are two pieces.
Each, or both together?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Just got BNK. They are two pieces. Fair play

I preordered her and the place had a release date of the 23rd. Now that date is gone :negative:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Two each aren't they? Saw a pic and was well impressed with the part divide.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Each. I posted the pic to wgc infinity fb group

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Enough is enough.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Enough is enough.

I just can't trust them to not do something spectacularly dumb.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's yugely dumb. Im looking forward to it

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up the Operation: Icestorm starter set. Looking forward to this game. Any generic tips to playing for a brand new player?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Have they already told you.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

I just picked up the Operation: Icestorm starter set. Looking forward to this game. Any generic tips to playing for a brand new player?

Play through the missions. Only use the rule book for consultation, don't read it. Find your local community and learn from them but look up anything you might be suspect of. Once you get the hang of the game, throw out all the PanO models and run Nomads as your primary army.

edit: useful links

Army Builder
https://army.infinitythegame.com

HSN3 Wiki
http://infinitythewiki.com/en/

Hacking Helper
http://www.captainspud.com/n3hacking

Human Sphere Wiki
https://human-sphere.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 15, 2018

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cat Face Joe posted:

Play through the missions. Only use the rule book for consultation, don't read it. Find your local community and learn from them but look up anything you might be suspect of. Once you get the hang of the game, throw out all the PanO models and run Nomads as your primary army.

Why would you not read the rulebook?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Why would you not read the rulebook?

Don't just sit down and read it front to back. You'll never make it. It's better to learn the basics and then work on understanding what your units do. Once you feel you've got a good handle in that, expand into areas you still don't feel comfortable with.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cat Face Joe posted:

Don't just sit down and read it front to back. You'll never make it. It's better to learn the basics and then work on understanding what your units do. Once you feel you've got a good handle in that, expand into areas you still don't feel comfortable with.

I personally had no problems reading it front to back. And while you will never remember all of the abilities units can have, at least having read them you might have some idea what your opponents units do. Plus if you rely completely upon others to teach you without reading the book you have no idea if they are teaching you correctly.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with reading the rules. I have experience with a bunch of other tabletop games. I more meant are there certain play styles i should focus on with Nomads vs PanO, or common game mechanics people forget quite often?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

I personally had no problems reading it front to back. And while you will never remember all of the abilities units can have, at least having read them you might have some idea what your opponents units do. Plus if you rely completely upon others to teach you without reading the book you have no idea if they are teaching you correctly.

Bad play is going to happen in every community no matter what. Our group's N2 players struggled severely with additional troops being caught in a circular template ARO. Remotes being unable to take cover was a thing for a while. Our Warcor and primary TO believed you couldn't respond to a hack attempt with a BS attack. When you're first learning understanding the foundation of the game is more important. Playing the Icestorm missions will help this. Once you feel confident then is the time to scour the boom and wiki for things you feel are incorrect.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm fine with reading the rules. I have experience with a bunch of other tabletop games. I more meant are there certain play styles i should focus on with Nomads vs PanO, or common game mechanics people forget quite often?

This game is unique in that there is no such thing as the "Perfect List". There are certainly bad lists but just because you run the same list as the guy who won Interplanetario doesn't mean you'll automatically do well.

Nomads do everything pretty well but hacking they do the best. They're a really good beginner's army since you can try a bit of everything and develop a play style around what you enjoy.

PanO is kinda the opposite. They can do most pretty well but ultimately you're going to rely on shooting and not even with the fun guns. The fluff can be misleading. That sweet Father Knight with the sword you got? Not that great at close combat. He's ok but he's a way better shooter. The Orc? He kinda sucks, especially compared to the Mobile Brigada who's pretty similar but gets way more options. People will blather on about "oh i wish i had a unit with 15 BS" but honestly what's that +1 really going to do for you when the dice hit the table.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zuul the Cat posted:

The commonly forgotten game mechanics I most often see are 1) that Suppressive Fire has its own special range bands, 2) the -3 face-to-face modifier for being under Suppressive Fire, and 3) that troops with different types (i.e. Regular vs Irregular) cannot be activated together as part of the same Coordinated Order (all Regular is fine, all Irregular is fine, mixed is right out). The various uses of Sixth Sense can be pretty easy to forget as well.

In terms of play-styles, Infinity is cool in that all of the factions can support a pretty wide variety of play-styles. For instance, it's more difficult to do sneaky camo shenanigans in PanO than it is in Ariadna, but you can still do it. In general, PanO has the best shooting and the best TAGs, whereas Nomads have the best hacking. Yu Jing have the best Heavy Infantry, Ariadna has the most/cheapest camo, Haqqislam has the biggest bag of dirty tricks, Tohaa have the most survivability, Aleph runs a close second and hits like a ton of bricks to boot, and Combined have the most terrifying weaponry. But if you want to run an "in your face" kind of list or an ARO/board control list or a list focused entirely on objectives, you can do it in any faction.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys! I'll play a couple rounds with the starter set and see where it goes. For what it's worth, I was excited to play Nomads, and visually i'm a fan of Yu Jing and the Caledonian Highlanders, so i'm glad to hear that each faction has a unique play style but it's still balanced.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Flipswitch posted:

Can you at least tell us if it's fun dumb, or is this more of a GW situation?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think it's a really good but bold move. I think it's gonna equally irritate and anger people in the same breath?

After a few days of so knowing the info I think it's a really cool idea. I'm not the best for gauging the reaction though because I tend to like looking at the positives. So far the reaction has been a (slightly cautionary) positive.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Well, as long as Aleph is the only faction getting squatted, I think we can all be pretty happy with this change.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Aleph was Sepsitorized, our only hope is now the combined forces of Tohariadna

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cassa posted:

Aleph was Sepsitorized, our only hope is now the combined forces of Tohariadna

You joke but I'd sepsitorize Scylla anytime. If only Onyx had an avatar. :sigh:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

some of our local warcors are selling their huge armies, probably a poo poo ton of new releases are on the horizon

We are going to have our first russian satellite tournament next week, I am scared of two straight days of standing and raging over dicerolls.
and we have sooooo much good terrain now :pcgaming:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
delete steel phalanx

vedic can stay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Enough is enough.

looks like that was only the top of the image

i like this direction more

• Locked thread