Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Roughly 7 more weeks until this fight is over :')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

Roughly 7 more weeks until this fight is over :')

Horay!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Nothing happens again. Stay tuned for next week where literally nothing will happen due to a break

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i loving loved that so much but i like fighting in my fighting manga (also theres no way the fight isnt gonna either be finished or wrap up next chapter)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Jesus Christ.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RuBisCO posted:

Jesus Christ.

Yeah that was a really cool panel

Beyond that though I'm pretty underwhelmed

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it was a good chapter but it would have been better if the fight hadn't meandered for a while as oda stalled for chapter 900

drjuggalo posted:

i loving loved that so much but i like fighting in my fighting manga (also theres no way the fight isnt gonna either be finished or wrap up next chapter)

next week probably won't show luffy and katakuri at all

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
The art is so good. I’d kill to see this animated by a competent team.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

gently caress yeah, that's some good fightin'.

Snakeman is awesome.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think my beef is Snakeman didn't actually change the tempo of this battle at all. Luffy isn't suddenly decisively winning, they're just still trading blows at about the same pace as the last several chapters. It's a pretty lame debut for an otherwise neat form that I think has a way better design than Boundman.

I like how the attacks continue Luffy's attack name theme by only being snakes that are also names of guns

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this little sequence is loving badass

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

anime was right posted:

this little sequence is loving badass

come to think of it is this the first time Luffy's busted a gatling-type move out and someone's just completely dodged it?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
seems like katakuri is pulling out his trump cards too though

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

come to think of it is this the first time Luffy's busted a gatling-type move out and someone's just completely dodged it?

Nah, Enel's avoided gatling.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Lpzie posted:

Chapter was good! Snakeman owns. This next break is gonna be painful.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

Nah, Enel's avoided gatling.

That fucker caught both his arms too, he was really on point with his mantra

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A fight scene where the two of them get to just straight up brawl is good.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Katakuri did not completely avoid that gatling He blocks the first few blows with haki and then advances through it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Man this jojos guy sure loves his loving donuts

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Had some cool panels tho.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Spoiler for next week.

https://i.imgur.com/rasGmQj.mp4

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This chapter owned. Katakuri owns and I don't care that it's dragged out because it's really driving home how big of an accomplishment taking him out truly is.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

U-DO Burger posted:

This chapter owned. Katakuri owns and I don't care that it's dragged out because it's really driving home how big of an accomplishment taking him out truly is.

This is basically how I'm justifying it. While I do think Oda has some issues with heavily dragging out the conclusions in the last few arcs, this extremely long fight with Katakuri has been on point in showing just how far past his limits Luffy has had to overcome in order to triumph. The eventual panel of a victorious Luffy and downed Katakuri is going to be amazing and sooooo worth it!

RuBisCO posted:

Jesus Christ.

This panel is loving sick and made me audibly "Woahhhh" :allears:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RuBisCO posted:

Jesus Christ.

I wonder if it's intentionally made to resemble Luffy's Gear 2 pose, to hammer in their rivalry?

Also holy poo poo this was an amazing action-packed chapter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd have liked this chapter a lot more had it come 2 chapters earlier

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It was a good chapter with some great action, and it seems like it's the finale, so I'm not going to let the stretched pacing get me down.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

U-DO Burger posted:

I can understand that and all, but we've had long fights before that showed that well and weren't dragged out to arbitrarily end on a specific chapter number.

Just look at Crocodile and Enel. They were lengthy fights that Luffy was massively outclassed in, but didn't take forever to get anywhere in. Chapter was fine and a fun slobberknocker, but it could've come like 8 chapters earlier and wouldn't require any changes. It'd just be paced better.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hate-Senpai posted:

I wonder if it's intentionally made to resemble Luffy's Gear 2 pose, to hammer in their rivalry?

Most likely. At least I don't think it's a coincidence.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Also holy poo poo this was an amazing action-packed chapter.

gently caress yeah! If this scene doesn't get the same love and care in the anime that they did with Gear Second then the whole anime is trash.

Dragonatrix posted:

Chapter was fine and a fun slobberknocker, but it could've come like 8 chapters earlier and wouldn't require any changes. It'd just be paced better.

Meh, I can't really think of anything in the last 8 chapters that I'd cut out to get to this point faster, and I'd prefer having this moment be it's own, full chapter as is.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Most likely. At least I don't think it's a coincidence.

gently caress yeah! If this scene doesn't get the same love and care in the anime that they did with Gear Second then the whole anime is trash.

Meh, I can't really think of anything in the last 8 chapters that I'd cut out to get to this point faster, and I'd prefer having this moment be it's own, full chapter as is.

The anime already ruined the initial gear 4 introduction imo so I don't have much confidence, if any, that this will be any different. I have a feeling that the anime will drag this fight out immensely...

But yeah, it's hard reading week to week. I've re-read the arc like 5 times now and everything is great when you can binge up to whatever current chapter!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Good fighting chapter, tho snake man was seriously underwhelming .

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Come to think of it, the guy who can see the future should be the last person to be caught off guard by roboteching puncharms.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Come to think of it, the guy who can see the future should be the last person to be caught off guard by roboteching puncharms.

I guess he's just seeing himself dodge the first hit and stopping there?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

SatansBestBuddy posted:

the whole anime is trash.

Also this chapter was awesome and all you people who are upset it's just padding for 900 I think have just decided that this is padding for 900 because pacing is on loving point.

The fight taking for ever makes sense, since in world the fight is taking for ever and Luffy was very gradually learning to fight back. This is the chapter where all of that stuff finally pays off and he can finally actually fight back, not just survive, and it's awesome. The fight couldn't have been it's own thing, it had to be a few pages every few chapters for ever to give off the impression that this is taking goddamned forever.

It's basically a really kickass training montage split between chapters that explains what's going on meanwhile.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Man with Hat posted:

Also this chapter was awesome and all you people who are upset it's just padding for 900 I think have just decided that this is padding for 900 because pacing is on loving point.

The fight taking for ever makes sense, since in world the fight is taking for ever and Luffy was very gradually learning to fight back. This is the chapter where all of that stuff finally pays off and he can finally actually fight back, not just survive, and it's awesome. The fight couldn't have been it's own thing, it had to be a few pages every few chapters for ever to give off the impression that this is taking goddamned forever.

It's basically a really kickass training montage split between chapters that explains what's going on meanwhile.

As I've said before, my main issue is that those few pages every few chapters could have been more interesting. I'm fine with long things as long as they're interesting. For a while there they were just punching each other with very little give apparent. I'm aware of why it's taking a long time, I'm fine with it taking a long time, but I think it could have been executed better. There have been a few bright spots, and this chapter had some cool things going on, but I wish the journey had been more interesting.

The running away from Big Mom has taken a long time too, but you don't see anyone complaining about that because there's been a lot going on there. Big Mom is another character where it's being made apparent that she's extremely dangerous and beating her will be a hell of an accomplishment, even more than Katakuri, but everything surrounding her side of these last few chapters has been fun to read.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Man with Hat posted:

this chapter isn't padding. it would have been a really good chapter if i didn't just want the fight over because of the previous 2 chapters being padding. i'm just bored of it altogether and want the plot to move on

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Man with Hat posted:

The fight taking for ever makes sense, since in world the fight is taking for ever and Luffy was very gradually learning to fight back. This is the chapter where all of that stuff finally pays off and he can finally actually fight back, not just survive, and it's awesome.

I don't really feel that's entirely true. This chapter he could fight back primarily because he had gone Snakeman, which is basically Gear 2+. And the primary reason he was able to go Snakeman last chapter appears to have been because Katakuri was no longer trying to stop him and left him the time to do so, not because he was able to force it despite Katakuri's efforts to stop him. I mean, you could still say that that order of events was necessary, but it doesn't appear to be about Luffy fighting back so much as impressing Katakuri by his personality in this one particular instance.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jose posted:

this chapter isn't padding. it would have been a really good chapter if i didn't just want the fight over because of the previous 2 chapters being padding. i'm just bored of it altogether and want the plot to move on

:same:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jose posted:

Yeah. I'm really just bored of this fight because of the previous chapters, especially if it's going to go on for longer than one more.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Good fighting chapter, tho snake man was seriously underwhelming .

I don't really see the difference they look between Snake Man and Bounce Man? If someone could point it out and make some comparisons I'd appreciate it! :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Snakeman is a lot faster
Apparently.

Notice how culverin is now Jet culverin.

Also I cant wait for Oda's heavily Kabuki based japanese god-mech manga
Gear 4's steam silk scarf thing is the best thing about it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 16, 2018