Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm torn between putting useful stuff in the time capsule or just stuffing it full of bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Why not both

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I've updated the mods (into their own repository), and included a new one - it now performs an auto-save every 5 minutes. Available here:

https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/tag/v1.0

It doesn't hitch too badly on my machine - about 1 second pause every 5 minutes is something I can live with.

I've got a few more coming:
- Removing/reducing impact damage when driving the Seamoth; I hate slamming into a little fish and getting mangled
- Reducing the time/energy for the Water Filtration machine to something better - maybe 1/4 the time and energy
- Remove the possibility of starting a fire in the Cyclops at Flank speed, maybe the cavitation as well
- Reduce the energy use of the Cyclops

I've got some other ideas for QoL changes, but I'm interested in any other ideas.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
But the without collision damage to the seamoth the spadefish loses its only purpose!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does the cyclops drain power when its not actively moving and you're not doing anything inside of it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The interior and floodlights don't use any power, and I'm pretty sure the engine only does when the sub is actively moving. I've left the engine running for quite some time while away from the helm and have always returned to the same battery percentage.

Really, though, if you have the engine efficiency module installed then even driving around at flank speed barely dents the reserve. Silent Running, Sonar, charging docked vehicles, and running onboard fabricators are the big power sinks to watch out for.

Edit:

Power consumption basics,

Slow - 9 epm (4.5 with EEM)
Full - 20 epm (10 with EEM)
Flank - 40 epm (20 with EEM)
Silent - 5 energy on activation, followed 1 energy per second.
Sonar - 10 energy per ping
Fabrication - 10 energy per item
Vehicle charging - costs however much the docked vehicle is missing from its power cells.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 16, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Whoever made the PullFromContainers mod, please treat yourself to a fine steak because you have earned it.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Plek posted:

But the without collision damage to the seamoth the spadefish loses its only purpose!

gently caress em. I want to drive the Seamoth like it's GTA.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Whoever made the PullFromContainers mod, please treat yourself to a fine steak because you have earned it.

:love:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A mod that gave the Cyclops the ability to have a solar charger again would completely solve all of my issues with the dumb thing. Still have to use better cells + eem for the actual deep stuff but it would actually be useful earlier in the game than it is now.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Rynoto posted:

A mod that gave the Cyclops the ability to have a solar charger again would completely solve all of my issues with the dumb thing. Still have to use better cells + eem for the actual deep stuff but it would actually be useful earlier in the game than it is now.

I haven't played with it yet, but I know there are checks in the builder tool to see if you're attaching to certain things - I might just be able to allow building wherever. Mobile base, maybe?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I was thinking more in line with an upgrade through the current system like the seamoth has. Of course, the game used to allow reactors and solar panels to be attached directly to the Cyclops so I'm sure somewhere it's possible to flip that back on.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Would probably be easier to let you start the game with Ion Power Cell tech.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Isn't the ion cell 5x better than a normal power cell? Rather than starting with that, just have some mid-grade tech for batteries and power cells. Something like 2x or 3x normal capacity made using Deep Shrooms or something.

Edit: And if Cyclops power is the issue, why not make it able to recharge off a power transmitter?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I've read in a few different places that they planned to allow passive Cyclops charging whenever it was near a base, but I guess that didn't make it into the release build. Personally, I never had a problem with power carrying six spare cells and having a handful of power cell chargers at my primary base.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Another thing that I think would help would be to put the damage indicator on the main cyclops hud, having to stop and step back so you can see that screen is a little annoying.

Also, when I first tried removing lava larva’s manually, a new one attached itself to the hull as fast as I could pull them off, is it actually possible to do something about them without the shield generator?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I just stopped trying tbh. The cyclops is huge, there's shitloads of them, you'd have to spend almost the whole time stepping out to pull the fuckers off. Just slot a thermal generator into your cyclops and out-recharge the bastards.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You can kill them. It takes a little longer because you have to chase them down, but it is possible to clear out the local population. Worth it if you need to park the sub somewhere and leave it for a while, like when you go into the thermal plant.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I just propcannon everything into the nearest lava pool. Even if it doesn't actually kill them it's such a good "fuckoff"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Marblemelons aren't great because you have to harvest them with your knife and that can cause problems. Chinese potatoes don't have that problem.

Bulboa tree is the only plant that gives acceptable water now ever since they nerfed the fruit.
I usually forget that you Bulboa's are even edible though so I grab a lantern and chinese potato. Eat potatoes and top off my hunger with lanterns, then stick the rest of the potato plant in my bioreactor (after replanting of course.)

When I've got an alien containment set up I gradually migrate to salted reggies and big filtered waters though. Can't be beat.
When you get the stillsuit the lantern fruit works fine since it grows like 20 at a time and you never have to replant or even equip your knife

GlyphGryph posted:

The reason people say to grow plants for food is because they provide water too (bulboa tree is better than lanternfruit because of this). So basically you can top off your food and water for no cost every time you return to your cyclops/base without consuming any resources.

What engine bugs? I've never had a problem with them. I've got them in wall hangars all around the cyclops.

Chinese potato is garbage, not enough water quality, Bulboa tree is better.

I'm a fan of bulbos myself, especially since the last slice off it always gives you two so you can replant and eat

Oasx posted:

Another thing that I think would help would be to put the damage indicator on the main cyclops hud, having to stop and step back so you can see that screen is a little annoying.

Also, when I first tried removing lava larva’s manually, a new one attached itself to the hull as fast as I could pull them off, is it actually possible to do something about them without the shield generator?

Lava larva die in 2-3 thermal slice hits, i usually made a point of hunting down ones i just peeled off the hull and murdering them

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The lizards will attack and kill/eat the larva so just park near one of them and let nature take its course.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Section Z posted:

Character limit was too small to name my rocket the Aluminum Mallard, a name worthy of a space hero of my particular quality.

Worst feeling in the game that isn't glitch related is probably that awkward stage of feeling like you need to go deeper than you can, to be allowed the privilege of going deeper.

So I figure one of each max depth module is more exciting than some ion batteries, to go along with the Prawn kit of Grapple, Drill, and Jumpjets (because gently caress having to U turn back home or kludge together a base, just to build your sweet jumpjet upgrade).

I found a prawn kit in one of my time capsules and it has saved me so much time.

I also found an energy efficiency module for the cyclops (along with 2 ion power cells) and I've been able to make the thing somewhat self sufficient even with having two power cell chargers on board.

I really need to get around to crafting that thermal charging module but I don't think I've found the materials for it yet, I also haven't touched my save in a few weeks because of other awesome games so maybe I'll get back to it at some point this weekend.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wait, can you create infinite energy by charging your Cyclops’ power cells aboard your Cyclops? Shouldn’t it break even?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Wait, can you create infinite energy by charging your Cyclops’ power cells aboard your Cyclops? Shouldn’t it break even?

Yeah it breaks even

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Jay Rust posted:

No, you can never gain ground on charging power cells in a cyclops. They fixed that exploit with the efficiency module a while back.

Charging power cells on a Cyclops is always 1:1 - for every 1 energy removed from the ship's cells, you get 1 energy into the charging cells.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
you don't "gain ground" but I've been running around swapping cells every so often (I had 4 extra that were fully charged) and I haven't run out of power just yet.

It's pretty annoying to do though.

It sounds like you guys are saying this shouldn't work though? I honestly have no idea how I've been holding out this long, then.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, you can't gain ground with power cell chargers in your Cyclopos, since it drains from the ship's cells to charge the ones in the charger. You've probably been holding out because 4 cells on top of the ones already installed is 1600 total power, which is a lot if you're not spending it frivolously on stuff like fabricators and sonar pings. I went through all of the Lost River and Lava Zones with 12 cells onboard and was barely through half of them by the end. 1600 power is more than two and a half hours of travel at full ahead speed.

I suspect that most people who have power trouble with the Cyclops did stuff like build a fabricator inside and then spammed it, without realizing that 120 uses are enough to tank your full engine charge.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 16, 2018

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
ah, that definitely explains it.

It sounds like I should just deconstruct the chargers from the cyclops and rebuild them at my home base while carrying spares, then.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, that's the idea. Carry some spares onboard for emergencies, then have some more at home to cycle out whenever you stop by

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Yeah, I'm getting to the very end of the game now and I spent most of my playthrough using this mod. If I'd had to grab stuff from my containers manually it would've added literal hours of tedium.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The moonpool charges power cells faster than the power cell charger. Just park your seamoth and swap out the cell when it's full. Takes about 90 seconds or so.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Can anyone post their bases? I love seeing bases.

I think I'm gonna post a tour of my Gun Island base later tonight, since I'm almost done with it, and I'm really happy with how it's come out for the most part. Also super happy to have the Cyclops since it's already taken like six lockers full of titanium and 2 full of quartz and I'm not done yet.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The in-game screenshot option seems to have stopped working for some reason, so you will have to endure one with the hud on.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I've run into a really loving annoying issue. Twice now I've had the game stop loading terrain. I have no idea what causes it, but the details of the world stop loading in and if I ventured far enough eventually its just nothing but empty ocean. The only thing the game keeps loaded are my base and vehicles, presumably because they never actually despawn.

So that's annoying, but the real issue is I can't save.. When I try to save the game claims it is saving but it never seems to start. In fact I can exit out of the save menu and continue playing with the little "saving" icon spinning in the corner. At that point the save option is greyed out. So I have no clue how to fix this and it seems my only choice is to force the app to close, which of course means I lose all my progress.

I have no idea what to do about this. This never happened before but its happened twice now in the last 4 hours I've spent playing this. The only thing i can think of is that I build the cyclops in both those sessions, but why would building it cause this to happen?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My most common "I want a BASE! Not 'gently caress it, room to keep my poo poo'" over the development looked like this. Ladder planning to keep smooth travel used to be the hardest part, now it's comparative quartz scarcity even with scan rooms+prawn drills. Because I used to do this poo poo every save, with my scan room being merely decorative and never touching the prawn drill except for kyanite.

That rear tower had six goddamned alien containment tanks total too. It's nothing but aquariums and bio reactors. The windowless bottom room in the main tower was for the health concious combination of nuclear power and water purification.

However my sad sack "I've replayed this game a million times, gently caress getting that much quartz now" version for my launch save though? Yeah it was a lopsided windowless imitation.

Even with the prawn drill and scan room, quartz just isn't as scattershot dirt common as it used to be. Now even with using the scan room to find quartz for a while, grabbing every loose bit of quartz I saw, then stopping to drill every quartz node that rendered on my Cyclops drive to and back from the containment facility? The 4 and a half lockers worth of quartz I had when I launched into space might have barely gotten the job done? An entire locker quartz is worth 24 glass, and I used to do absurd 60+ windows and more setups. Even ignoring the 30 glass worth of containment tanks, then other accessories.

When the single most effort filled thing in the entire game, would be installing as many windows and building as many alien containment tanks as I used to :v: I think I'd rather have my rocket crash, and have to to a fresh replay than scrounge up that much quartz now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Welp I guess I'm not posting my own pictures, the game now crashes my whole computer every time I try to open it.

I built too deeply and too greedily, I guess? God drat it Subnautica devs this is not appropriate game behaviour!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Welp I guess I'm not posting my own pictures, the game now crashes my whole computer every time I try to open it.

I built too deeply and too greedily, I guess? God drat it Subnautica devs this is not appropriate game behaviour!
I wish I had any advice on how to fix your game, but, well. Yeah.

You can post a bugrep about it, but bugreps about this are basically people swinging by to blame you or make excuses that you shouldn't expect an indie studio to release a bug free launch.

I've noticed Subnautica likes to make my computer run hot as hell sometimes. Hotter than "Oh hey, I'm right next to THE SUN and all it's lighting effects glory for the finale" in Destiny 2 and other games. Despite the fact I've got 5 loving fans with two in the ceiling of the case (Recently replaced. I get a goddamned breeze by my kneecap). So it could be some horrible combination of "Maybe your computer is too dirty" and "Trash optimization"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 16, 2018

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Deleting "cell cache data" seems to have fixed the problem. Yay!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Deleting "cell cache data" seems to have fixed the problem. Yay!
That's genuinely encouraging to hear :unsmith: Having to replace beacons doesn't really compare to "My computer crashes."

I just wish people didn't have to jump through so many hoops to get to the good parts of this game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's a guy on the official forums who seems to respond to every "my savegame crashes after loading" post with "hey did you try changing <random rear end graphics option>" and apparently can't believe that the game itself could be at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there must have mods for a first time player? Can they be dropped in to a campaign in progress? Only like three hours in so not a big deal if not