Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Space Monster posted:

From the patch notes:

quote:

Only science ships staffed by scientists can now enter systems that you completely lack intel on (stops 'corvette exploration')

The rest of the changes are orgasmic, but I feel like this will really slow the game down and limit your options early on.
It's going to speed the actual game way the gently caress up if you're used to micromanaging all your corvettes to explore. Yeah, it's going to slightly limit how well you can plan ahead at the very beginning, but the flip side is you aren't looking for a large-ish habitable planet just the right distance away anymore as your first point of interest- you're going to be putting outposts in every star system in the immediate vicinity, so not knowing where those specific choice planets are won't actually slow your initial expansion down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Space Monster posted:

From the patch notes:

The rest of the changes are orgasmic, but I feel like this will really slow the game down and limit your options early on.

Anyway, anyone interested in a goon game on Saturday?

And don't forget it's only those you COMPLETELY lack intel on. Once you get +1 sensor range from anything, your military ships can go wherever.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Did the Fallen Empires end up getting the salvage-only techs, or is that a part of the new five-tiered tech system?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I just read the patch notes so I should know this, but did anything about democracies get changed? Will we still have to destroy however many research/mining stations before each election in return for an absurd influence faucet?

The first run in Cherryh I was planning was going to be a democracy before I remembered that it's kind of wonky.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Space Monster posted:

Not for me, I love this change! (Never did corvette exploration in any great scale anyway and never needed it.)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Eiba posted:

I just read the patch notes so I should know this, but did anything about democracies get changed? Will we still have to destroy however many research/mining stations before each election in return for an absurd influence faucet?

The first run in Cherryh I was planning was going to be a democracy before I remembered that it's kind of wonky.

It's almost like elected officials in democracies keep running on promises of growing prosperity that are ultimately completely divorced from the actual possibility of implementing them...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You could also, y'know, just not use that exploit and have a normal influence income predicated on your ability to expand.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

:geno:
I'm a rules bound beep boop
:geno:

I'll bet you're fun at anything.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Playstation 4 posted:

I'll bet you're fun at anything.

Yeah, I know how to have a good time. "Don't do things you don't enjoy doing" is a pretty good rule of thumb for video games and personal entertainment in general. Thanks for noticing. :wink:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You could also, y'know, just not use that exploit and have a normal influence income predicated on your ability to expand.

You loving sicko

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The thing that always bugged me about the democracy goals is they're binary success. I'd get two mining stations built but not the third, and then I'd get the same guy elected and those two were "wasted". I think they'd be better as tiered goals, like 15 per station and a +5 bonus if you get all three.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It does sound like nobody should run on "more mining stations" if there's no room for you to build mining stations though

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, I know how to have a good time. "Don't do things you don't enjoy doing" is a pretty good rule of thumb for video games and personal entertainment in general. Thanks for noticing. :wink:

The fact you took a statement about others enjoyment of playing with you to gloat about your own enjoyment kinda proves my point, but eh. Whatever flotillas your boatilla.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The democracy mandates have always been kinda inexplicably bad.

There's a lot of potential for circumstantial mandates (like a need for new planets because your current ones are full) or ethic/trait based mandates. You could even just straight up have mandates to satisfy faction demands.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the 'Straczynski' update or whatever it ends up being called will reform democracy as well as diplomacy, as this War update gave buffs to the mean government types.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
God, now I want to know what'd be in a Straczynski update.

Alternatively, Watts, as in Blindsight.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Milky Moor posted:

God, now I want to know what'd be in a Straczynski update.

Alternatively, Watts, as in Blindsight.

A Watts update ought to be about NPCs being loving terrifying. Especially space critters, some flavours of FE, and gestalt consciousnesses...

But how do we know they're conscious? :tinfoil:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I want an update focusing on the far future of civilization, beyond galatic scales and possibly reaching toward the end of the universe.

Maybe make it so that once you reach one of the victory conditions for control of the galaxy, you get the option of advancing to the intergalactic play. Your current game gets condensed down into a single home galaxy reflecting roughly how it looks at that time, and galaxies replace systems as the scale of the map and entire centuries pass in place of years. And out there, whatever the Prethyon scourge was fleeing from is waiting.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ha, the newly-formed space pirates traversed a hyper lane to one of my systems, and emerged right in front of a mercantile station which promptly blew them all to oblivion

Eat poo poo, early-game hurdle

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Playstation 4 posted:

The fact you took a statement about others enjoyment of playing with you to gloat about your own enjoyment kinda proves my point, but eh. Whatever flotillas your boatilla.

I actually agree with him.

It's like the idiots who complain that save-scumming makes SRPGs "too easy."

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Couple of questions...

1. Do Machine empires ever spawn? In the few games I've played so far(losing terribly in most of them, only now in my first game where I'm one of the super powers), I have yet to come across any. And yeah, I have Synthetic Dawn.
2. Do all borders need to be connected? Is it bad if I colonize or build a frontier outpost far away from my borders?
3. How is this game so freaking addictive? I seriously can't stop playing whenever I start.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

1) yes, but there's random number generating going on
2) not necessarily but it can be a pain in the rear end if someone goes in between and closes their borders to you (might change in a week)
3) it's a good game

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Whilst waiting for 2.0, I'm trying to mod in some 'pacifist win conditions', starting off with building Enclaves- the idea being that they'll outlive your empire, etc. etc.. Plus, they neatly focus on science, unity and :10bux: so give handy paths.

Roughing out the Science one at the moment, I've got 4 stages and the requirements for upgrading each are meant to mirror the benefits of the Enclaves: Research buffs, buying star charts, and selling scientists.
  • Platform: 10k minerals, 300 influence, Technological Ascendancy AP, deep space stations.
  • Stage 1: 20k minerals, all level 3 lab technologies.
  • Stage 2: 20k energy, have survey data on all systems in the galaxy.
  • Stage 3: 300 influence, give up 3 level 6 scientists to staff the enclave.
  • Stage 4: ???
Each stage completed grants you more of a 'Curator Insight' strategic resource that gives a +15% research boost and a +25 opinion boost to you from anyone you've traded it to, so you can play as a friendly curator giving out buffs to everyone. I'm considering adding a boost to your trust cap as well (to make it easier to survive when border pressure starts heating up), but annoyingly you can't apply that via a megastructure.

Currently, I'm torn on what the final 'You Accomplished Your Goals!' stage requirement should be. Under consideration are:
  • Find a precursor homeworld: Even if it's fixed in 2.0, it's sort of folded into the 'have survey data on all systems' stage. You're likely to have already scored this by the time you get to Stage 4.
  • Learn expensive techs: E.g. all the power/armour/shield upgrades or special new ones. Seems a little bit underwhelming? You already have research gating on stage 1, though it's not very severe.
  • Explore a difficult new anomaly: E.g. you have to scan 3 different black holes and then the SMBH at the galactic centre. You'll have given up your 3 best scientists in stage 3 and will have a hard time getting more up to level 5 to do the projects, which seems a bit dickish.
  • Finish a Leviathan research project: Neatly ties into the Enclave habit of giving out info on how to beat Leviathans, but it's also a midgame thing and worse one you can potentially be permanently locked-out from if you're unlucky.
  • Have X Research Agreements: If you're an enclave, you should be sharing your knowledge. Slightly hard to manage given the amount you want would change with galaxy size.
Anyone have any particular thoughts on the above?

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 16, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baron von der Loon posted:

1. Do Machine empires ever spawn? In the few games I've played so far(losing terribly in most of them, only now in my first game where I'm one of the super powers), I have yet to come across any. And yeah, I have Synthetic Dawn.

If you absolutely want a machine empire in your game you can create a custom one and set it to force spawn.

I actually enjoy having a bunch of my own premade empires spawn in all of my games because I can make sure that they do not all have the same color palette and that there'll be a decent amount of ethic/government variety.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

If you have a colossus equipped with a planet cracker, can you use it to destroy uninhabitable worlds? My guess would be no because being able to turn all those useless barren worlds into mines would be overpowered as gently caress, but it's fun to dream.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Communist Walrus posted:

If you have a colossus equipped with a planet cracker, can you use it to destroy uninhabitable worlds? My guess would be no because being able to turn all those useless barren worlds into mines would be overpowered as gently caress, but it's fun to dream.

I believe you can. You're not guaranteed to get minerals, though. Was in one of the dev diaries, I believe.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I believe you can. You're not guaranteed to get minerals, though. Was in one of the dev diaries, I believe.

There ought to be a rare tech, 'Deep Core Prospecting', or something like that which can pop up after you can build a Colossus that can tell you if a planet is worth blowing up for it's resources. Like, you can set a special project and have a science ship scope it out for you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh and they're communist pirates too!

Oh my gods that ship name. :allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no steam preorder (with the classic 10% discount?)?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

I am the proletariat now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How many Wiz's work at Paradox? This dude is "history wiz" ?? Is a "future wiz" too? Maybe an Earth Wiz or Fire Wiz? Do they all need to get together with their magic rings to summon the one true Wiz?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Blue Wiz, Orange Wiz. Wiz with longer hair. Spider Wiz. Robot Wiz. Wiz with a goatee. Evil Wiz. ziW. Pirate Wiz. Ninja Wiz. Detective Wiz. Sleepy Wiz. BlonWiz.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 16, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Haunting fixed gaze Wiz is and always will be my favorite

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Aethernet posted:

I'm sure the 'Straczynski' update or whatever it ends up being called will reform democracy as well as diplomacy, as this War update gave buffs to the mean government types.

And here I thought I couldn't :swoon: over Stellaris more after Cherryh. Thanks for getting my hopes up!

That moment was epic. History Wiz is a funny dude for playing along with that stuff.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Is there a gooncensus on which DLC is mandatory?

I browsed through the Nova and Galaxy editions, and all I can see is some fancy bling on your forums accounts, some wallpaper & soundtracks stuff, but nothing that really seems to change the actual game outside of an extra playable alien race?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is there a gooncensus on which DLC is mandatory?

I browsed through the Nova and Galaxy editions, and all I can see is some fancy bling on your forums accounts, some wallpaper & soundtracks stuff, but nothing that really seems to change the actual game outside of an extra playable alien race?

Nova and Galaxy can be skipped. Plantoid/Humanoid packs can be skipped as well, although I like them and the variety they add cosmetic wise. Everything else I'd label as essential honestly. If you're money short, you could maybe skip Synthetic Dawn, but I'd still recommend it at a later point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Talkie Toaster posted:

[*]Explore a difficult new anomaly: E.g. you have to scan 3 different black holes and then the SMBH at the galactic centre. You'll have given up your 3 best scientists in stage 3 and will have a hard time getting more up to level 5 to do the projects, which seems a bit dickish

Levelling up scientists is easy, just set them on Assist Research

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's called seizing the means of production.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Nova gives the amazing soundtrack and a weird spider looking race. Galaxy gives that too, but also includes some ebooks and a wallpaper. But for the extra $4.40 (according to Canadian pricing) I'd say that the nova upgrade is worth it just for the soundtrack. I mean the soundtrack alone is $3.89, and getting an alien portrait for $0.51 isn't that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Weren't a lot of historical pirates fairly democratic back in the day and had large portions of crews being freed slaves and such?

• Locked thread