Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is a pro worth it if I don’t have a 4K tv? I’m trying to decide between trading in my OG PS4 and getting one, or just buying a used Switch. They come out to about the same amount of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn’t realise Bloodborne was more about actively attacking, that makes me more interested tbh

one of us. one of us.

(ffs play bloodborne)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is a pro worth it if I don’t have a 4K tv? I’m trying to decide between trading in my OG PS4 and getting one, or just buying a used Switch. They come out to about the same amount of money.

Switch + OG PS4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS4 Pro w/ no switch.

And it's not even close.

Switch > PS4, but that is arguable. It's really a question of Nintendo exclusives being a deciding factor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Get the Switch my dude

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The new firmware on pro comes out soon with enhanced 1080p screen support, digital foundry has a preview up. Take a look but switch is probably a better buy than an upgrade to what you already have.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Any indication when 5.50 will go public?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Get the Switch 100%

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Over There posted:

Get the Switch 100%

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Over There posted:

Get the Switch 100%

Not until they start getting snes games. I have a raspberry pie but I want to play Axelay and gradius III in bed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Over There posted:

Get the Switch 100%

:yeah: Then get Dark Souls remastered for it. Play Bloodborne at home and Dark Souls on the go.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im getting ds on ps4 cause frames rate and wired internet connection

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheCenturion posted:

Mass Effect 3 has Marauder Shields.

He died for our sins.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shield suggestions have me spinning but thanks dudes. Lots of things to consider. I MIGHT try DS2 again next time it’s on sale. Thanks for the tip about playing it before jumping into 3 again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I knew this would happen. Dark Souls is too hard and I’m too casual to play past the first few sections of each game :cry:

I guess I could reinstall 3 and give it another go

What's your PSN? I'll help you beat some bosses if you get stuck.

Personally I'd recommend 3 over 2 all the way. 3 is so much better imo. I really don't think it's any harder than 2 either, maybe for the first 2 hours but they are all around the same difficulty.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 16, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve got a request for you, my dudes. I’ve got this thing right now about shields. Maybe it’s an obsession, maybe it’s a fetish. We’ll see. I recently had two things happen to me in life. One, I found my monster hunter weapon in the Lance. There’s nothing quite like facetanking a huge monster with a giant shield. It rules. Two, I finally started playing D&D and made a dwarf with a shield. I got heavily into the concept of being a strong as poo poo chunk of meat with a shield. I’m not sure what happened but suddenly I’m a shield guy and I want more. What games have satisfying shields? Sword and shield in Skyrim always kicks rear end. I might play some of that soon. Reinhardt in Overwatch has been a recent thing for me also. I want to take big hits like a boss.

Keep your eyes out for Kingdom Hearts 3, for one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wildlands is the best random rear end $20 purchase I've made in a long time. Game is fun as hell

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

No. Get a Switch.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Samurai Sanders posted:

So neither of them have some super secret useful use that I never found out about? They were just a cruel joke by the developers?

The DLC shield is very good in some extreme situations. It has very high arcane resistance, which makes it much easier to survive one particular boss's ultimate attack. So instead of dodging like mad, when you see the boss readying that attack then you just equip the shield and brace yourself. But the rest of the time it's mostly worthless.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Switch and Pro is the best combo.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn’t realise Bloodborne was more about actively attacking, that makes me more interested tbh

Yeah, Bloodborne is all about actively attacking. There's only one shield in the base game and it's a joke item; it's completely worthless and won't protect you. The game is all about dodging and attacking. If you get hit, the damage doesn't become immediately permanent. If you attack the enemy within a short window of time afterward then it heals that damage back. There are healing items but you're only allowed to carry a small number of them. So you must play extremely aggressively or you will die.

It requires a much different playstyle than the Souls games and will be very difficult at first for people (like me) who are used to turtling behind a huge shield. The item description of the one shield even states that the shield is worthless and that passivity will get you killed. Fortunately I was able to adjust to how the game wants to be played and enjoyed it enough to get the plat.

Edit: The number of different armor sets is also pretty low and there's almost zero difference in protection so you pretty much just need to wear what you think looks good.

...! fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 16, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

...! posted:

dodging and attacking.

Truly the best way to play any souls game besides 1. In 1 always go full Havel

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Morby posted:

Switch and Pro is the best combo.
Sup switch and pro bro :hfive:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Switch and PS4 Pro and uhhh I think Microsoft has something out with some long and confusing name?

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The switch is trash

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Switch and PS4 Pro and uhhh I think Microsoft has something out with some long and confusing name?

Xbox One X It's Gon it to ya

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Microsoft has something out with some long and confusing name?
The Triple X Box

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ll be Switch and Pro after I get paid probably. My wallet is gonna be so mad at me but fuggit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Buccaneer posted:

The switch is trash

:lol:

Housh posted:

Sup switch and pro bro :hfive:

This is the true way to nirvana.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Switch, PS4 Pro, and a computer with a GTX1080 in it with 4k monitor. The gaming trifecta.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I bought BB on the sale and DS1 is coming to the Switch. I've never played any Souls-esque game ever in any capacity

what do

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I bought BB on the sale and DS1 is coming to the Switch. I've never played any Souls-esque game ever in any capacity

what do

play the game you bought?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

BUT WHERE DO I START :ohdear:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well you have to install it first

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
With the game you have on hand and not the one that’s isn’t out yet

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

man tough crowd

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Just do what I do and never play any games but keep buying them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just do what I do and never play any games but keep buying them.

I don't actually LIKE games per-se I just like shitposting and complaining about them itt

also to add:

xbone-s is the best/cheapest 4k blu-ray player
pro/switch for games
wii-u for the dank older games
vita cause lol
surface pro w/ 34" wide screen and a dock

Gave up PC gaming a while ago but couldn't care less about arguing which platform is better

haven't played a game on the xbone ever tho 🤔

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve got a request for you, my dudes. I’ve got this thing right now about shields. Maybe it’s an obsession, maybe it’s a fetish. We’ll see. I recently had two things happen to me in life. One, I found my monster hunter weapon in the Lance. There’s nothing quite like facetanking a huge monster with a giant shield. It rules. Two, I finally started playing D&D and made a dwarf with a shield. I got heavily into the concept of being a strong as poo poo chunk of meat with a shield. I’m not sure what happened but suddenly I’m a shield guy and I want more. What games have satisfying shields? Sword and shield in Skyrim always kicks rear end. I might play some of that soon. Reinhardt in Overwatch has been a recent thing for me also. I want to take big hits like a boss.

Play Bloodborne and kick your terrible fetish to the curb, you passive slob. :black101:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

BUT WHERE DO I START :ohdear:

"How about I come over to your house and slap you on the skull with a rolled up newspaper until you play Bloodborne", BeanpolePeckerwood says to the OP of the PS4 Games Thread who hasn't played Bloodborne :laffo: get outta heeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Why y'all gotta be provokin Da Bloodborne Boys?? :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

man tough crowd

For your first Bloodborne playthrough:

Pick strength or skill and focus on getting that/vit/endurance up to 25 and then do whatever you want.

The starting zone and the first two bosses are very much designed to teach you how to play.

Dodge towards things instead away from them, most attacks will carry enemies past you and set you up for sweet backstabs.

Strength has bigger weapons, but Skill weapons do the same amount of damage pretty much and have a big added benefit.

Post in the B.B. thread... da Boyz will get you where you wanna go