Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ithingy: either it works or it obviously doesn't and you can swap it out for working kit early

microsoft: it's kinda broken but this workaround might help you oh no it's failed wait maybe it works

which one of these belongs in a flight bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

ithingy: either it works or it obviously doesn't and you can swap it out for working kit early

microsoft: it's kinda broken but this workaround might help you oh no it's failed wait maybe it works

which one of these belongs in a flight bag

i guess that depends on how much microsoft is willing to pay

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

And the iPad can't run the flight manual software that one "tech savvy" employee wrote in visual basic 20 years ago and that has never been updated after he quit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's difficult to overstate just how mediocre the surface pro is as a computing device. even when it works, it's at best acceptable, but not actually very good for any given task and you'll spend a bunch of time adapting to how awkward it is to use

but much of the time it does't "work". every single generation has hardware issues, and even where those aren't causing you problems microsoft just plain old sucks at platform support. also the accessories are all garbage, including the basically mandatory ones, like the type cover, and they will randomly stop working for no apparent reason until you do a little voodoo song and dance

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 16, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its amazing how msft managed to turn an apple-like plan for controlling the hardware and the software into something even less reliable then a random shitbox dell

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

it's difficult to overstate just how mediocre the surface pro is as a computing device. even when it works, it's at best acceptable, but not actually very good for any given task and you'll spend a bunch of time adapting to how awkward it is to use

but much of the time it does't "work". every single generation has hardware issues, and even where those aren't causing you problems microsoft just plain old sucks at platform support. also the accessories are all garbage, including the basically mandatory ones, like the type cover, and they will randomly stop working for no apparent reason until you do a little voodoo song and dance

yes yes that's all very interesting but can it run nesticle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

yes yes that's all very interesting but can it run nesticle

nope. not unless you're using dosbox anyway. it ships with 64bit windows so no 16bit app support

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

nope. not unless you're using dosbox anyway. it ships with 64bit windows so no 16bit app support

I'll have you know nesticle is a perfectly valid win32 application and runs great on 64-bit windows 10 (but not the stupid desperate S version that tries to force people to use "modern" apps)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

r u ready to WALK posted:

And the iPad can't run the flight manual software that one "tech savvy" employee wrote in visual basic 20 years ago and that has never been updated after he quit

Microsoft dumped the ARM surfaces on Delta and had to pay Jeppesen to port their software

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/14/a-major-bug-is-forcing-microsoft-to-rebuild-skype-for-windows/ hahaha

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're just gonna turn it off and send everyone to the UWP skype app.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

they're just gonna turn it off and send everyone to the UWP skype app.

i hope they turn your monitor off along the way

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

That headline is wrong, but that's to be expected of tech bloggers: a *minor* bug in the Skype for Windows *installer* *was* fixed back in October.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i hope they turn your monitor off along the way

:eyepop:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

windows 10 on arm: exactly as lovely as you expected and evidently based on some connectix poo poo from 20 years ago

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...de-7cb03ae3c933

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol RIP

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

windows 10 on arm: exactly as lovely as you expected and evidently based on some connectix poo poo from 20 years ago

emulating x86 on arm has to be terrible as far as performance and battery life go

not that it matters since idk who would actually want this thing

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lmao it oughta take one forgotten server in a closet to service those dozens of people for years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The_Franz posted:

emulating x86 on arm has to be terrible as far as performance and battery life go

not that it matters since idk who would actually want this thing

it has rough feature parity with an xda project for windows rt from 2013, but presumably worse performance, since that was basically just a wine/reactos shim and didn't have to emulate anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if you had the terrible performance of an early netbook, but in a somehow even more awkward form factor?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

poor Linux Archduke

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
heres a minor microsoft lol.

somehow xls is no longer associated with excel on my laptop, when I double click excel isn't in the list of supported programs, when I try to set the default I see this...

other excel files are ok though :confused:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lmao the top comment in that microsoft link

quote:

Someone say: "Never personally owning an iPhone or Android, do those platforms disable notifications sooner or later than Microsoft? What are the oldest versions of iOS and Android that still receive notifications?"
And other say: "Assuming the app versions are still supported on android, any OS version should still get push notifications. version 2.3 (from 2010-ish) still shows up in the platform numbers, so is reasonably still in use."

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do people seriously use Windows 10?

:aaaaa:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

its a POS, op

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

best windows yet, ive been using it since general public availability

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gross, don’t talk about it pls

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Trashman posted:

heres a minor microsoft lol.

somehow xls is no longer associated with excel on my laptop, when I double click excel isn't in the list of supported programs, when I try to set the default I see this...

other excel files are ok though :confused:

we noticed you installed a program that changes the default file associations to something useful

we've reverted all those changes and you and your sfotware can frig off

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the amount of built-in advertising for edge when you go to change the default is mega lol. just borderline begging you not to switch.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
It's designed for Windows 10

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

edge will also give me better battery life than chrome on my desktop of which I found amazing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

edge will also give me better battery life than chrome on my desktop of which I found amazing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i mean, i have ups running behind the pc but still

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

oh were you doing something cpu-intensive that needs fullscreen access

HERE COMES POWERCHUTE

lol gently caress no you aren't clicking things

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

hosed up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well i for one, am reassured

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

danks per inch (p sure ive seen this too on co-workers xps)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

well i for one, am reassured

I ended up with this when I was installing in a VM once? It didn't end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

I ended up with this when I was installing in a VM once? It didn't end well.
installing windows never ends well