Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

Swap the delay around, make it fire an icicle immediately then have the animation for it freezing up play immediately after.

Ez buff.

Boring and having a mei sniper that is impossible to approach is bad. She should have to get in faces to be effective. The actual PTR changes are terrifying, but more in line with the direction I would go. I would rather her have mobility or shorter cooldowns than a boring every-day projectile.

edit: I think the fact that mei and sombra are in the same patch is no coincidence, and they should serve a similar purpose: getting into position to disable and assassinate key people or entire teams with ult (at close range).

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
When Mei is on the other team, she ice walls to protect her grav-bombed team from a double ults, throws me all over the place with ice wall, ice walls to protect her self and teammates from picks. Is annoying as hell. Mei on my team ice walls the entrance at the start of every match, every time. Throws me around with her ice walls, blocks me and teammates from getting picks with ice wall. Is annoying as hell.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

headcase posted:

Boring and having a mei sniper that is impossible to approach is bad. She should have to get in faces to be effective. The actual PTR changes are terrifying, but more in line with the direction I would go. I would rather her have mobility or shorter cooldowns than a boring every-day projectile.

edit: I think the fact that mei and sombra are in the same patch is no coincidence, and they should serve a similar purpose: getting into position to disable and assassinate key people or entire teams with ult (at close range).

It's not exactly impossible to approach (you shouldn't be doing that anyway) but it makes it easy for her to at least nail a shot off before she has to ice block. Her projectile speed is rear end either way, so i really think of it more like a tracer counter and anything that fucks over tracer is fine by me.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Shnag posted:

When Mei is on the other team, she ice walls to protect her grav-bombed team from a double ults, throws me all over the place with ice wall, ice walls to protect her self and teammates from picks. Is annoying as hell. Mei on my team ice walls the entrance at the start of every match, every time. Throws me around with her ice walls, blocks me and teammates from getting picks with ice wall. Is annoying as hell.

My favorite Mei Thing is when they put it up way in front of the payload so the enemy can advance with full cover.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm incredibly underwhelmed by the Mei changes. Like, the pre freeze change and the ammo efficiency are nice and all but if I were to come up with a list of issues I had with Mei before hearing about this I don't think either of those would have been on it.

They don't feel like balance changes, they feel like putting a bandaid on her issues instead of addressing why she's so unused. Yeah sure making it easier to freeze slippery targets and effectively giving you more shots per clip are nice but if that's their best after seeing how little she's played I'm not exactly assured here. I haven't watched the dev update video, do they at least mention they're still looking into her there at all?

the dev update video before the most recent one, Jeff specifically addressed that they know Mei needs changes but that they want to be very careful with them because it wouldn't take much to make Mei extremely overbearing to play against, and he's absolutely right. I'm glad they're buffing her and I'm glad they're doing it in very small pieces. The two extra shots to her right click is a good start and will up her dps slightly, and that's what she really needs addressed.

berenzen posted:

All I'm saying is that Mei doesn't have anywhere near as much falloff as people think she does

the fact that a projectile hero with a gun that requires a wind-up aim has any fall off is really dumb and they should get rid of it

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

phthalocyanine posted:

the fact that a projectile hero with a gun that requires a wind-up aim has any fall off is really dumb and they should get rid of it

Pretty sure they did this because 150 damage headshots from throwing huge projectile headboxes is kinda silly, and probably some Tracer complained about it.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yukari posted:

Pretty sure they did this because 150 damage headshots from throwing huge projectile headboxes is kinda silly, and probably some Tracer complained about it.

It would be stupid. Her character should be built around her LC and being able to wade through a scrap and disable people. RC is just the airgun from "no country for old men."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah yes, turn mei into a second hanzo, that hero that everyone loves and no one dislikes at all

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yukari posted:

Tracer is the most OP hero in the game when played well so screw her imo

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Ginette Reno posted:

Tracer is the most OP hero in the game when played well so screw her imo

But we are the redshirts for Tracer and Gengi in Overwatch. . . .

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

removing her falloff would make mei busted. Cross-map 140 hp headshots made mccree brokenly op, how would mei be any different.?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

berenzen posted:

removing her falloff would make mei busted. Cross-map 140 hp headshots made mccree brokenly op, how would mei be any different.?

icicles aren't hitscan, comparison to mccree is not great. better comparison is hanzo. are cross map shots from a hanzo arrow brokenly OP?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

berenzen posted:

Main difference is that McCree is hitscan so he just needs to click to explode your head, whereas Mei would be more like Hanzo with 150 HP headshots, with how big the projectile hitboxes are in this game, and people already hate getting headshot by Hanzo's treetrunks.

E: f/b

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

kumba posted:

icicles aren't hitscan, comparison to mccree is not great. better comparison is hanzo. are cross map shots from a hanzo arrow brokenly OP?

in the hands of a sufficiently skilled player, the difference between hitscan and projectile is a lot less than you think it is. and yeah, a hanzo that is impossible to dive due to incredible amounts of survivability would be broken. The shots themselves wouldn't be OP, but combined with the restof mei's kit would make her oppressively strong.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

icicles have damage falloff but they don't have an arc like arrows do iirc so yes that would be a lot better than hanzo

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

making the hero whose entire gimmick is slowing enemies down also able to move faster than everyone else seems like a bad combination

While I agree, if you pair it with requiring ammo to be spent in order to speed up, I don't think it'd be as bad. Forcing her to spray the floor/walls to speed up to catch enemies I think would be a fine way of doing it. The big problem with Mei right now is that her kit is designed to be Anti-mobility. However it just flat out doesn't work, due to mobile heroes are able to out range her and/or get away very quickly due to said abilities. If you increase the rate of her freeze, she'll become too strong against non mobile heroes. So something does need to be changed so she can fill that role, otherwise she'll continue to suck at it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They could increase the range on her freeze beam, that would help.

Also Genji shouldn't be able to climb ice walls, and should instead slip and hurt himself while everyone laughs.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the ice wall should be a single long 1000hp object. ice block should be breakable. thats my opinion on mei

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah after a certain point the mechanical skill of the players means that Mei would be the best sniper in the game if that happened so I doubt it will.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 17, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Give Mei a second Ice wall

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I seem to recall reading a long time ago that mei's M2 icicle shot added a slow/freezing effect the farther it travelled. It probably was on a third party site, but that would be an interesting trade off.

O O O

As someone who used to play a druid in world of warcraft back in its heyday, being stunlocked from 100 percent to 0 percent health was pretty unfun. When I moved onto TF2 I really appreciated the change to the scout's baseball, making it from a 1 hit stun (no movement) to a no-gun use (but you could still move). Abilities that take away complete control of their character - to me - isn't fun. As someone who has over twice their total playtime as mei than the runner up, I would gladly trade the ability to completely freeze someone in place with, say, a much more prolonged slow and half-firing rate. This way, as someone who is getting frozen, you still have the ability to retaliate, yet you are at a disadvantage to that.

... (Same goes for mccree's flashbang, ana's sleep dart, etc...)

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

megane posted:

They could increase the range on her freeze beam, that would help.

Also Genji shouldn't be able to climb ice walls, and should instead slip and hurt himself while everyone laughs.

That would mess lucio too.

Red ice walls should at least do something , like give damage when they erupt beneth you. Or mabye leave a chilling haze when manually shattered.

Right now they are breakable blue ice walls.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I played some Mei in comp today (silver) and went to town on some fools. At scrub tier I think you can do well with Mei (I do :shobon:) but the problem is that sometimes when I pick her in a non-stall situation my team thinks I am throwing. But I'm not! I'm just gonna separate their healers and tanks and help us chill out yall

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Mei, back in season 1, 2's heyday, was an absolute beast in scrub tier... Back then your ultimate recharged 50 percent faster, AND mei's ult recharge time was an additional 15 percent faster. That meant, if you could secure kills with blizzard, you would almost have another one ready to go.

Combine this with the fact that at lower levels, people trickle in - and it was cakewalk to isolate, say, a mercy with her hanzo teammate with ice wall, 'process' the mercy, iceblock when hanzo would turn to do a scatter, pop out, process the hanzo, then chuck blizard at the other 2 players trickling in, headshot them, icewall.... well, you get the idea.

Problem is, all that stops working with coordinated teams, and with all the changes since, Mei does not hold up well. Hence why I picked up Zenyatta and haven't looked back since...

A shamea, really. I do miss those "FFFFUUUUUUUCCCCC Yyoooouuuu mmmeeeeiiii" and other lively commentary from the other team.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that was like season 2 or 3 and she was played a lot in pro games when you could get blizzard every fight

I'm glad they nerfed ult charge rate

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I remember making Mei buff suggestions earlier in the thread that were well received. Let me see if I can't dig them back up.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I still think she should be able to use her weapon on the ground to make her slide faster then her normal walk. She has a potg animation with her doing that!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I still think she should be able to use her weapon on the ground to make her slide faster then her normal walk. She has a potg animation with her doing that!

I also wish this was a thing. Anyway I found my earlier Mei buff suggestion to give her more cc utility.

Bumper Stickup posted:

After X amount of freeze spray is applied the enemy can't use movement abilities until the slow status has worn off. This includes Tracers blink and rewind.

Edit: Also anyone near her Ice Wall is slowed.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Mei already disables movement abilities with her M1 after a certain duration. It's the whole point of the M1, and if you can't confirm a kill on a genji/tracer after you freeze them, maybe get better at aiming at stationary targets.

People in this thread are vastly overestimating how much of a buff mei needs in order to be a viable pick.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 17, 2018

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

berenzen posted:

Mei already disables movement abilities with her M1 after a certain duration. It's the whole point of the M1, and if you can't confirm a kill on a genji/tracer after you freeze them, maybe get better at aiming at stationary targets.

People in this thread are vastly overestimating how much of a buff mei needs in order to be a viable pick.

The key phrase there is "After a certain duration." The characters you've just mentioned both have abilities that allow them to very quickly escape and get out of her range long before that duration is ever reached.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

DeliciousCookie posted:

The key phrase there is "After a certain duration." The characters you've just mentioned both have abilities that allow them to very quickly escape and get out of her range long before that duration is ever reached.

If the tracer/genji stays on the point, you can aim at them and keep spraying. If they leave the point, you've won that fight. If you die, then get better, because mei wins the fight vs. genji a massive amount of the time.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 17, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mei instantly stripping all movement abilities from a hero the second she spritzes someone is somehow even worse of a suggestion than making her move faster than most heroes with movement abilities

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

mei instantly stripping all movement abilities from a hero the second she spritzes someone is somehow even worse of a suggestion than making her move faster than most heroes with movement abilities

Replacing freeze, I.E. that ability that prevents you from moving/acting and usually winds up culminating in a headshot that kills you. Functionally, it'd be similar to what Sombra does now, just focused on movement abilities.

berenzen posted:

If the tracer/genji stays on the point, you can aim at them and keep spraying. If they leave the point, you've won that fight. If you die, then get better, because mei wins the fight vs. genji a massive amount of the time.

If they're by themselves sure, however the same can be said about most characters. A Tracer/Genji solo capping usually won't stick around long if anyone shows up unless they're confident they can win. Though if a Mei is winning a fight against a Genji/Tracer, its rarely because of her freeze however.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Love all the Mei mains coming in with ways to make her more toxic and annoying. I thought Iceman Mei would be cool but I see now how “never being able to run away from Mei” would be a nightmare.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

DeliciousCookie posted:

Replacing freeze, I.E. that ability that prevents you from moving/acting and usually winds up culminating in a headshot that kills you. Functionally, it'd be similar to what Sombra does now, just focused on movement abilities.

you can kill a sombra if she hacks you, you can't kill a mei if she successfully freezes you.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

berenzen posted:

you can kill a sombra if she hacks you, you can't kill a mei if she successfully freezes you.

Hence why I said replacing.

DeliciousCookie fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 17, 2018

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Armacham posted:

replace mei with a mooninite wearing the foreigner belt

Just hope we don't get saddled with a useless Loverboy song, because Loverboy has always sucked.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Bust Rodd posted:

Love all the Mei mains coming in with ways to make her more toxic and annoying.

Every time mei uses her ice wall a corresponding ice wall blocks your team's spawn.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Kind of a dumb question but how do you get over the anxiety/guilt of playing a character you suck really bad with in QP, knowing it'll essentially make it 5v6?

I know bot mode exists but it doesn't feel like my snipes on bots carry over that well to real people due to the movement discrepancy. I just wanna get better at sniping :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't feel bad about playing anything in qp. unless it's obviously a troll pick, I don't see why anyone should care