Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mr.Radar posted:

@associatedbank

Lol, guess where I was just thinking of applying, too?

Nooooooooooope.jpg!

https://twitter.com/Schadenboner/status/964512172545073152

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shaggar posted:

cool. I remember doing xbox softmods w/ some MechWarrior save exploit or something. it was easy as hell but it had a similar problem where if the clock poo poo the bed you were hosed if you hadn't already unlocked the drive.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah iirc you used the corrupt mechassault save to get code execution, then replaced a dashboard font to get persistence
Exactly. Mechwarrior, Splinter Cell, and 007 Agent Under Fire were the three main exploitable games. Mechwarrior was the most well known because the Xbox-Linux team created their automatic "Mechinstaller" package based on that exploit.

The font exploit would normally trigger when the dashboard loaded, it'd swap out the cert chain in memory so applications signed with the "homebrew key" could instead be loaded, then you'd chain from there to something like Phoenix BIOS Loader which could swap out the entire Xbox BIOS in memory with one of the modified ones and you were set to go.

The problem was if the clock wasn't set or had lost power the dashboard wouldn't load and instead the system would try to bring up a "set the clock" screen, which used the same font and thus triggered the bug, but just crashed rather than being exploited.

You could not just unlock the drive and leave it, as the stock BIOS won't boot on an unlocked drive. It was trivial to extract the EEPROM in which the unlock code was stored (as well as a few other fun things) once you had booted a third party dashboard replacement, but a lot of people forgot to do that or stupidly saved it to the (still locked) hard drive.

At some point they did work around this and were able to create clock-safe softmods, but I had moved on to a hardware chip at that point so my knowledge of the details falls off a cliff there.

I made a bunch of beer money in college using my modchip with a solderless adapter to recover people's xboxes that had softmods and other things go wrong.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

After some good natured testing, we have managed to brick a coworkers iPhone X by making siri read the cursed glyph in a text message. It's literally trapped in a boot loop right now and he can't make it go into DFU mode.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

secfuck: i joined a union recently and upon receiving my membership details i found i was unable to login to their website. reset password wasn't working so i e-mailed my rep who changed my password to "<SURNAME>.123!" and e-mailed it to me in the clear. then when i logged in it did not force me to change it. a shameful display

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

cheese-cube posted:

secfuck: i joined a union recently and upon receiving my membership details i found i was unable to login to their website. reset password wasn't working so i e-mailed my rep who changed my password to "<SURNAME>.123!" and e-mailed it to me in the clear. then when i logged in it did not force me to change it. a shameful display

Extremely hn voice: "Clearly this is just more evidence that unions are a failed anchor on the economy."

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

see if you can organise the userbase into convincing them to fix this

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

see if you can organise the userbase into convincing them to fix this

yeah that's a good idea, thanks. i already replied to my rep advising how their current poo poo is garbage but if they don't improve things i'll start reaching out to membership.

CHANGE FROM WITHIN, MOTHERFUCKERSSSSS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
as someone who provides services to a couple of union locals, let me assure you, unless you stop them from doing so the average member will make their password <surname><membership number>

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

infernal machines posted:

as someone who provides services to a couple of union locals, let me assure you, unless you stop them from doing so the average member will make their password <surname><membership number>

lol great, the two things readily available on your membership card

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
in solidarity,
wild eeprom

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
someone in the greys cannot understand why lastpass is garbage

more at 11...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

p sure that dingus is a troll or a legit shill

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm sorry okay just explain what the issue is with my posts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm sorry okay just explain what the issue is with my posts

you keep making them! :wal:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

meh

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

what the gently caress is "Brave" in the context of that greydingus?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheese-cube posted:

what the gently caress is "Brave" in the context of that greydingus?
a web browser based on chrome but from the guy who got kicked out of being the ceo of mozilla

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'll never get over the mindset of people using knock-off versions of popular software with 'improvements' bolted on

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

a web browser based on chrome but from the guy who got kicked out of being the ceo of mozilla

it also uses some bullshit attention token to pay publishers whose ads and tracking it blocks

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
also it encourages you to put money into an online wallet that it will use to give "microdonations" to content creators in lieu of showing advertisements

no one actually is quite sure how the system works.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i think i'll stick with my current browser and ublock

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
so has intel/amd made any announcements on how/when they plan to change the architecture of their chips to fix meltdown/specter?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Intel's too busy trying to find a way to sell people hardware tokens to turn software RAID on and AMD is too busy selling their graphics chips to Intel

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

architecture? at least 3 years away optimistically

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kuvo posted:

so has intel/amd made any announcements on how/when they plan to change the architecture of their chips to fix meltdown/specter?

there's no way in hell that happens in 2018 so they are unlikely to want to talk about it

small tweaks that make the heavy microcode fixes more efficient to do maybe, but the full fix is way down the line

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
wasn't one of the reasons linus got pissed off on the lkms because intel wasn't going to stop selling the same broken chips

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

if so, i'm not sure what he thinks their other option is

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

wasn't one of the reasons linus got pissed off on the lkms because intel wasn't going to stop selling the same broken chips

the main reason Linus was pissed at Intel was that Intel was publicly taking the position that their chips aren't broken, your software is broken, and in the future Intel will graciously offer a feature that allows your broken software to opt in to a special mode that works around your software's brokenness

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

the main reason Linus was pissed at Intel was that Intel was publicly taking the position that their chips aren't broken, your software is broken, and in the future Intel will graciously offer a feature that allows your broken software to opt in to a special mode that works around your software's brokenness
yeah that's the one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

also they kept panic commiting garbage kernel code or something

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use brave on mobile because it is basically chrome but with ad blocking which is not available on mobile chrome

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

spankmeister posted:

I use brave on mobile because it is basically chrome but with ad blocking which is not available on mobile chrome

I use Purify on iOS. That way I don't have to use Chrome, or lovely versions of Chrome.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
you should use firefox for android, so you can use the real adblocking solution ublock origin

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah, for android the firefox quantum updates are really nice. only downside I've found is that some sites don't test against it, so you get wacky page renders once in a while

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cheese-cube posted:

p sure that dingus is a troll or a legit shill

elcondemn? he's definitely a major shithead

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Nooooooooooope.jpg!

Seems like this is getting a bit more attention now https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/964538799962361856

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like to think there’s someone out there who reads all of their emails and webpages via Windows Notepad like some kind of Richard M. Shaggar

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

GTO posted:

Seems like this is getting a bit more attention now https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/964538799962361856

Oh poo poo, I cannot into responsible disclosure.

:(

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Oh poo poo, I cannot into responsible disclosure.

:(

Honestly I'm not sure why he thinks his tweet prevents people from finding out which bank it is when the bank is named multiple times in the replies to the tweet anyway.

If bad guys are going to find out, they've already found out. The only question now is whether publicising the fuckup 10 days before it actually happens might be enough time to get the bank to change their mind and fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Schadenboner posted:

Nooooooooooope.jpg!

Thanks for the tweet. And guess what, I got a letter in the physical mail yesterday with the same information. :cripes:

• Locked thread