Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
JUST GOT A PAIR OF ALPINESTARS TECH8 BOOTS FOR $6.47 OUT THE DOOR AT GOODWILL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what do you wear those for?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I'm still pursuing my M1 endorsement and good gear is loving expensive

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I had offered him my Frye fetish boots since I don't ride anymore but this is a much better find.

PS goons if Dave gets a bike, in spite of all the reservations any of us might otherwise have about this please don't angle him toward a 125 or 250, at this altitude with that little displacement you don't have enough balls to get out of your own way, much less have the reserve to roll on the throttle and get past something bad that's about to unfold.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tremek posted:

I had offered him my Frye fetish boots since I don't ride anymore but this is a much better find.

PS goons if Dave gets a bike, in spite of all the reservations any of us might otherwise have about this please don't angle him toward a 125 or 250, at this altitude with that little displacement you don't have enough balls to get out of your own way, much less have the reserve to roll on the throttle and get past something bad that's about to unfold.

:siren:Aprilia SXV 5.5!:siren:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tremek posted:

I at least have already told him to get the idea of 250 Ninja out of his thinking

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ducati is obviously the only and true answer

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/beautiful-2004-star-1100/6497312636.html

Trade the camper and cat for this.

nevermind get that moose bike.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Im not gonna lie, im really looking for more of a sport bike because I wanna go full power ranger

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Im not gonna lie, im really looking for more of a sport bike because I wanna go full power ranger

Parp.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/aprilia/6467158921.html

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or is there a window where snow falls in colorado that traffic speeds up, ostensibly to be closer to home once poo poo goes absolutely tits up because they were speeding in snow

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I just posted the first 1100 yamaha I came too because they are awesome indestructible things that I like.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I think we all know this is the right answer:

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2006-suzuki-burgman-maxi/6468366937.html

Legit feedback tho, every first rider should get a not-naked UJM, like this Suzuki SV650S or something of that ilk.

Don't get a naked bike - that means no wind protection, and your sweet-summer-child dreams of an all-year vehicle will very quickly shrink to less than 6. Bear in mind it takes infinitely more motivation to get on the bike when the weather sucks, and when you have your fat La-Z-Boy Safari sitting there waiting to take you to get your pack of smokes, the bike won't happen.

Also, cruisers are for baby boomers and short guys and literbikes are usually for personified TAPOUT shirts. Don't be those guys.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Bro

Real bike, bro

Trust me bro

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Tremek posted:

Also, cruisers are for baby boomers and short guys and literbikes are usually for personified TAPOUT shirts. Don't be those guys.

Where does that put those of us who ride 600s?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

mechaet posted:

and 950s. :colbert:

The kawasaki (ex6) ninja 650 could be another option. Ptwin, not i4. efi and abs.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 16, 2018

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Get what my wife's uncle has: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Z1300

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The answer is obviously HAYABUSA you guys are slacking

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Based on what my dad told me about his Norton, a Norton Commando may be the motorcycle biturbo.
He mostly survived his early 20s because he was fixing his bike rather than doing triple digits.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The answer is obviously HAYABUSA you guys are slacking

New h2, less affordable but go big or go home

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

New h2, less affordable but go big or go home

H2 is also supercharged, which helps deal with the thinner air.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Norton is who I wish I was. Reality is I had sportster 1200 and I don’t want to die. Call me less than a man I’ve settled with it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Get a big trailie and Mad Max it up.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My vote is for a D(ick)R(ide)650

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
How rude nobody is suggesting the Honda Zoomer (if they released them in the US?)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

How rude nobody is suggesting the Honda Zoomer (if they released them in the US?)

They were sold in NA as the Ruckus, and they tend to be extremely overpriced in the used market.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

InitialDave posted:

Get a big trailie and Mad Max it up.

This would be my suggestion too, but the heart wants what it wants

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Voting for a big single dual sport. Xt 500 or a DR650. Simpler maintenance, better on horrible roads, and dick can put tons of bags on them easily for prime lovely-food hauling.

Also I have those boots, got them from a dude at a car show. They're great, waterproof lined etc. Only thing I dislike is they fit differently every time because the buckles all flex and it's hard to keep them in the same spots.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Being in colorado and the west in general a big dualsport or adventure bike would be nice. Lots of public lands and trails. I like my S1000XR but if your prone to speeding or tickets sport bikes aren’t for you. Plus the dual sport/adv bikes are more comfortable for tall people.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

mechaet posted:

Was a 600 your first motorcycle? If so, eesh. If not, cool, sayeth the judgy internet?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

rdb posted:

I like my S1000XR but if your prone to speeding or tickets sport bikes aren’t for you.

Gotta catch me first :getin:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Gotta catch me first :getin:

https://youtu.be/HzqsGJXcLJc - warning, people die

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

nm posted:

Based on what my dad told me about his Norton, a Norton Commando may be the motorcycle biturbo.
He mostly survived his early 20s because he was fixing his bike rather than doing triple digits.

Commandos are nowhere near the Biturbo of British bikes. That dubious honor goes to basically anything AJS and Matchless made, from my dad's experience.

I'd second the XT500 recommendation, having done a frame-up resto on one myself with relatively limited wrench experience beforehand compared to most of this forum. Super cheap, reliable, easy to work on, and very comfortable for 6'2". Any of the 650 single dual sports (XR, DR, KLR) would be good calls as well since they all were produced for decades with only cosmetic changes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Everyone knows Moto Guzzi is the Maserati of bikes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ah gently caress poo poo in 10 languages.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

InitialDave posted:

Everyone knows Moto Guzzi is the Maserati of bikes.

So loving true. Even the worst Brits stuck around dad's collection longer than his Guzzi did. The only thing that comes close to Guzzi is Bimota and at least those guys had the sense to put reliable engines from other manufacturers in all but one of their bikes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

My question is how many people seem to just fall over at speed without any visible gently caress ups or obvious traction issues on the pavement or other outside influences, and by at speed I mean traffic and not 150 in a 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also lol I've recognised Highway 9 in Cali a few times now

• Locked thread