Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I honestly can't imagine not having free coffee at work. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Sefal posted:

My work replaced our free coffee maker with a Keurig machine, but you have to bring your own pods.

Surprisingly, no one uses it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
We heve free coffee machines on every floor, but I haven't had a cup since October :smug:

That being said my partner made Affogato the other week which is basically coffee+ cinnamon + a shitton of vanilla ice cream and it's divine

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 16, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vargatron posted:

These are the companies who wonder why they can't keep good talent. I don't even know where this mentality comes from any more. Like studies prove that happier workers with a good work/life balance are more productive and less likely to shoot up the loving office.

It’s pointy haired bosses thinking they’re being tough as nails and employees who would be somewhere else if they possibly could.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I don't drink coffee.

My work provides a staffed, free coffee bar and delivers coffee to your desk that you can order through an app. Someone actually complained that they don't serve iced coffee the other day.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

My work replaced our free coffee maker with a Keurig machine, but you have to bring your own pods.

Surprisingly, no one uses it.

I might prefer that to the stupid Flavia machine. You can't bring your own packets because they don't sell them in stores.

If we had a Keurig you can at least get one of those pods to put your own grinds in. I would have fresh roasted every day if we had one of those.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

I don't drink coffee.

My work provides a staffed, free coffee bar and delivers coffee to your desk that you can order through an app. Someone actually complained that they don't serve iced coffee the other day.
A Louis CK bit come to life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4&t=119s

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
So last month I lost my job and I've been scrambling to find a new position. Two weeks ago I did a phone interview for a sysadmin position working on a Hadoop cluster managing Linux servers. My feeling at the end of the interview was that I bombed it in horrible fashion. I did an in-person interview Friday of last week for a company I really, REALLY wanted to work for. Interview went incredibly well, so well that my friend who also works for this company was casually informed that they would be making me an offer. And finally I did another phone interview this Monday for a virtual desktop infrastructure admin position that seemed really interesting. Interviewer loved me and was extremely excited about bringing me on, however the position was a contingent-upon-award type of thing and was likely 2 months out.

Company of the first interview gets back with me and wants to make me an offer. It's not quite six figures, but it would be a 60-70 minute commute every day. Additionally, the senior engineer who interviewed me (and who I would be answering to) was something of a prick. Generally I could get along with just about anyone, but I'm leaning towards no just because the pluses and minuses don't balance out.

Second company is putting the finishing touches on my offer, so I should have it either by the end of today or Monday. Should be somewhere around low-to-mid 80s, but the commute is like 10 minutes. And even if I'm way off on the compensation, the long-term perks of working there are worth the lower pay in my opinion. Add in that they will likely sponsor me for a TS (and a raise would be included), as well as the reputation of the company, and I'm pretty much set on accepting their offer. All I need is the paperwork.

Third company also verbally stated they were going to make me an offer of $80k, but the commute is about 30 minutes. Position seems extremely interesting, but again, it's contingent-upon-award and is likely 2 months off. There is some talk about bringing me on under the existing contract, but there's no guarantee they'll get the new contract. Been in that spot before, not interested in repeating the experience. I've got until Monday evening to make a decision for this position, and until Tuesday at 5pm on the first position.

So yesterday before lunch I'm sitting at my computer feeling sorry for myself, and within an hour I had either received an offer or a call letting me know what kind of offer was coming. Suddenly the stress went from being about whether I would get any offers to having the option to pick and choose but having to wait on the one I really want while deadlines on the other two are ticking down.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sefal posted:

I don't understand the thought process behind it at all. It's a drink that makes you more alert so you can focus on stuff. It's cheap. Not providing it makes you look like an rear end in a top hat.

Just why?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Take the 10 minute commute.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Take the 10 minute commute.

Holy gently caress this.

I went from 45 minutes to 25 and you wouldn't believe the difference it makes. If it was 10 minutes I'd be stroking off every time I got in the car.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

So last month I lost my job and I've been scrambling to find a new position. Two weeks ago I did a phone interview for a sysadmin position working on a Hadoop cluster managing Linux servers. My feeling at the end of the interview was that I bombed it in horrible fashion. I did an in-person interview Friday of last week for a company I really, REALLY wanted to work for. Interview went incredibly well, so well that my friend who also works for this company was casually informed that they would be making me an offer. And finally I did another phone interview this Monday for a virtual desktop infrastructure admin position that seemed really interesting. Interviewer loved me and was extremely excited about bringing me on, however the position was a contingent-upon-award type of thing and was likely 2 months out.

Company of the first interview gets back with me and wants to make me an offer. It's not quite six figures, but it would be a 60-70 minute commute every day. Additionally, the senior engineer who interviewed me (and who I would be answering to) was something of a prick. Generally I could get along with just about anyone, but I'm leaning towards no just because the pluses and minuses don't balance out.

Second company is putting the finishing touches on my offer, so I should have it either by the end of today or Monday. Should be somewhere around low-to-mid 80s, but the commute is like 10 minutes. And even if I'm way off on the compensation, the long-term perks of working there are worth the lower pay in my opinion. Add in that they will likely sponsor me for a TS (and a raise would be included), as well as the reputation of the company, and I'm pretty much set on accepting their offer. All I need is the paperwork.

Third company also verbally stated they were going to make me an offer of $80k, but the commute is about 30 minutes. Position seems extremely interesting, but again, it's contingent-upon-award and is likely 2 months off. There is some talk about bringing me on under the existing contract, but there's no guarantee they'll get the new contract. Been in that spot before, not interested in repeating the experience. I've got until Monday evening to make a decision for this position, and until Tuesday at 5pm on the first position.

So yesterday before lunch I'm sitting at my computer feeling sorry for myself, and within an hour I had either received an offer or a call letting me know what kind of offer was coming. Suddenly the stress went from being about whether I would get any offers to having the option to pick and choose but having to wait on the one I really want while deadlines on the other two are ticking down.

Awesome man!

I took a 5k pay cut to go from a 30min - 1+hr commute in rush hour traffic to a 5 minute commute and it was the best thing I ever did for my sanity. Funny thing is I wound up making more even after the pay cut due to the fact I actually get paid OT now and don't mind working an extra hour here or there because it still only takes me 5 minutes to get home.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sickening posted:

I don't drink coffee.

It seems like a strange omission if they're going to have a fully staffed bar with free delivery service though.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
10 min commute is sweet.

My commute is 20 minutes and I sometimes take a detour that adds 10 minutes. (Only if the weather is good). But as a rule never take it for granted that the company will actually hand you the much better contract, "but you need to take the lesser contract first. "

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vargatron posted:

Holy gently caress this.

I went from 45 minutes to 25 and you wouldn't believe the difference it makes. If it was 10 minutes I'd be stroking off every time I got in the car.

I fondly remember the 10 minute commute by foot or 5 minutes by tram during my first job. Short travel times are so underappreciated since all that time you piss away commuting is time you are never getting back.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Sefal posted:

The college I work at leases all food services to some lovely company, who then rents space to chains like Tim Hortons. The contract with this company states that the college can't give employees free anything that can be bought at one of those chains. If my manager wanted to give us coffee he'd have to buy us timmies gift cards. We're not even allowed to use external caterers unless the event is booked by a non-employee. That wouldn't be so bad if the pizza they make wasn't lower quality than loving Dominoes.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Hungry Computer posted:

... That wouldn't be so bad if the pizza they make wasn't lower quality than loving Dominoes.

I did not know such a thing was possible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bigass Moth posted:

It seems like a strange omission if they're going to have a fully staffed bar with free delivery service though.

Eh, I just think that having the ice machine in that area was a logistical challenge considering the expresso machine and all the others. The counter space just doesn't exist.

And you know, people complaining about free poo poo can go gently caress themselves.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hi I'd like to continue to update people on my fun deepdive into the hell that is bizarre weirdo SQL database. The guy who uses it has a bunch of Access stuff that he runs on his local machine, complete with jobs that run through access to impact the sql server, and then uploads the access database to a network drive every single day. the jobs on the SQL server are lost but don't really matter anyway because he runs them himself on his pc.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I did not know such a thing was possible.

It tastes like they use store brand tomato paste for the "sauce". And if it's been sitting a while the crust gets hard enough to cut your mouth.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Hi I'd like to continue to update people on my fun deepdive into the hell that is bizarre weirdo SQL database. The guy who uses it has a bunch of Access stuff that he runs on his local machine, complete with jobs that run through access to impact the sql server, and then uploads the access database to a network drive every single day. the jobs on the SQL server are lost but don't really matter anyway because he runs them himself on his pc.

OK I'm officially getting into :psyduck: territory regarding how this workflow even came about (let alone what does it actually does).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

Can you just extract the jobs from the Access DB and then make them stored procedures?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Vargatron posted:

Can you just extract the jobs from the Access DB and then make them stored procedures?

But then there wouldn't be beautiful layers of failure that can happen!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MF_James posted:

But then there wouldn't be beautiful layers of failure that can happen!

Woah, I forgot that we have to maintain status quo here. My bad!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Yeah this is going to end up being what I do. There's no reason for things to be configured this way, and his argument was "well it was going to slow on the server in the past so I just took them and do this it's way more productive" and..I just..I am so happy this server broke. Why did this even exist? Who knows. I remember the old IT Director telling me he didn't really understand what was up with this DB server and why it was the way it was as it was even before his time, but every time he tried to upgrade it there was some dumb argument about keeping it so he ignored it. I am uncovering a complete disaster of a situation that has been going on way too long

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh my god running things on a SQL server is going to be so much faster than Access provided you code it right!!!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Our shop just got a keurig and people have been using the poo poo out of it.

I’m actually going to try and quit because the caffeine is messing with my mood.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Our shop just got a keurig and people have been using the poo poo out of it.

I’m actually going to try and quit because the caffeine is messing with my mood.

Just don't drink coffee after 1PM. Really. Coffee is to wake up not to chug like soda and then wonder why is everyone on edge and not sleeping at night.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Volguus posted:

Just don't drink coffee after 1PM. Really. Coffee is to wake up not to chug like soda and then wonder why is everyone on edge and not sleeping at night.

never stop drinking coffee

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Drink all the coffee. At all times.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The key is to drink so much caffeine (in my case Coke Zero) that it not only doesn't affect you anymore, but makes you feel ill if you go a day without it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh god an external email came in and the dude has this in his signature

quote:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety – Benjamin Franklin

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Cup of Tea when I wake up. Cup of coffee when I start work.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It takes me 15 minutes to get to work if I walk, 2 minute drive. I put gas in my car at the end of January, and I have a half tank still. Its a much bigger deal than I would have ever thought before having this small of a commute.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh god an external email came in and the dude has this in his signature

10 bucks says he lost a bunch of money in the bitcoin crash.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Everyone here just has a coffee pot on their desk instead.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Everyone here just has a coffee pot on their desk instead.

I have a press, does that count?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The key is to drink so much caffeine (in my case Coke Zero) that it not only doesn't affect you anymore, but makes you feel ill if you go a day without it.

This is me, but with coffee and booze. We even have kegs of cold brew available :smuggo:

Though I do have to walk to the kitchen and pour it myself like a pleb. Delivery to your desk, what a time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Next update: Asked end user to provide access files that he has on his local PC. User told me I could not have access to them in fear that I would break them.

Lol.