Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I've had my Pixel 2 for about a week now:

1. Goddamn this camera is nice
2. Is there a way to remove the Google Search bar from the home screen? All I can find are outdated articles saying No, or that Nova Launcher let's you add the search bar to non-Oreo Android devices, but that's the opposite of what I want :(
3. The Messages app has crashed 3-4 times on me, and for a brand new $800 device that seems entirely unacceptable to me. I can't keep up with the billion different apps Google pushes for texting/SMS; any suggestions for a replacement app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That's odd, I rarely have the messages app crash, if ever. Clear cache perhaps?
In any case, it's silly to blame the phone for what is most likely a software problem with a single app.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Odd that messages would crash, but textra is a good replacement.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sab669 posted:

Is there a way to remove the Google Search bar from the home screen? All I can find are outdated articles saying No, or that Nova Launcher let's you add the search bar to non-Oreo Android devices, but that's the opposite of what I want :(
Nova Launcher (among others) will also allow you to remove the search bar.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not necessarily that I'm blaming the phone for it crashing, but rather that I would expect on a fresh new device everything would run smooth. Like yeah, sure, a buggy app is a buggy app, but I was kind of hoping it was just my slow-rear end Nexus 6 that was struggling to do anything was just having problems with Messages.

And :toot: Nova does let you remove the search bar. I've never used a Launcher before, but I really like Nova already just for that + Dark Theme.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Not necessarily that I'm blaming the phone for it crashing, but rather that I would expect on a fresh new device everything would run smooth. Like yeah, sure, a buggy app is a buggy app, but I was kind of hoping it was just my slow-rear end Nexus 6 that was struggling to do anything was just having problems with Messages.

And :toot: Nova does let you remove the search bar. I've never used a Launcher before, but I really like Nova already just for that + Dark Theme.

I will say that I always removed the search bar in the past but after leaving it on there I found it to be 1) quite useful and frequently used and 2) nice in that pushes up the dock icons to a more comfortable position.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Sab669 posted:

3. The Messages app has crashed 3-4 times on me, and for a brand new $800 device that seems entirely unacceptable to me. I can't keep up with the billion different apps Google pushes for texting/SMS; any suggestions for a replacement app?
Seconding Textra, because it's fantastic. Super customizable, and very quick on the Pixel 2.

I've never had Messages crash on me either, though. What carrier? How much texting are you doing?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Project Fi, I use the Gboard keyboard and swipe to text rather than tapping every letter. I don't text many people, but the 2-3 people I do text I text pretty regularly.

But I'm happy to check out Textra, I absolutely hate the recentish change to Messages that added this attachment drawer. I never use it for emojis/stickers, why the hell are those on top. The attachment drawer doesn't collapse when you open the keyboard either, so then when you collapse the keyboard that drawer is still open. Also there is regularly a bit of a delay between me pressing Send to text a picture to someone and my actual message appearing in the conversation which is really annoying.

Messages crashed again since my last post :downs:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use the Gboard keyboard and the default messages app on multiple phones and it has never crashed. Must be something Fi is doing :(

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What version of Messages are you on? The previous one was insanely crashy but updating to the newest a few days ago solved it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What version of Messages are you on? The previous one was insanely crashy but updating to the newest a few days ago solved it

Version 2.8.04, according to the Version Info in the "apps" menu under the System Settings app. But whatever, because Textra is smooth as gently caress and way more customizable.

I think my only last "issue" with Android -- and I'll fully admit this is 100% user error -- but it often takes me 2-3 attempts to swipe up from the lock screen to enter my code. Is there a way to change it so that you don't need to swipe as high up in order to enter my combo? :saddowns:

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Has there been an OS update for Pixel just recently which would cause my Pixel 1 to reboot itself ten times a day? It might be happening more often while on charge; it just rebooted three times back to back while charging even though no apps were running and I wasn't touching it.

This poo poo started happening right about a week ago when the Snapchat update hit, so I blamed the crashing on that lovely app at first. But now it's happening whether there's any apps running at all.

Phone is only a few months old. It was a replacement for my first Pixel 1 where the speaker went out, so this replacement phone could be a refurb too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Allo the app is good.

Allo the ecosystem is terrible and that is keeping all my friends in Hangouts.

Browser access was a step in the right direction, but it needs multi-device, multi-browser support along with message history portability before it can compete with Hangouts.

It seems they're working on Android Messages before working on Allo.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...s-apk-teardown/

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Does anyone know where the Google app saves images? I use the search bar to grab something from Google Images, hold down, hit "Save Image", I get the notification that it saved, but if I open my gallery or any other app to attach the photo, it doesn't show up whatsoever. Does the Google app only save stuff to a temp folder or something? Do I have to use Chrome specifically every time I want to save an image? I even tried to use ES to find the folder it says the image was supposedly downloaded to, but I can't find the folder anywhere

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Does anyone know where the Google app saves images? I use the search bar to grab something from Google Images, hold down, hit "Save Image", I get the notification that it saved, but if I open my gallery or any other app to attach the photo, it doesn't show up whatsoever. Does the Google app only save stuff to a temp folder or something? Do I have to use Chrome specifically every time I want to save an image? I even tried to use ES to find the folder it says the image was supposedly downloaded to, but I can't find the folder anywhere

Generally yes, I would use Chrome.... However, from the Google App, when I search for an image and long press it says "Download Image" and that places the file in the downloads folder rather than a photos accessible album folder. If I don't click on the image (to full screen it..) there is a 3-dot menu with Save image, but that just adds the location to favorites in chrome.

Copper Vein posted:

Has there been an OS update for Pixel just recently which would cause my Pixel 1 to reboot itself ten times a day? It might be happening more often while on charge; it just rebooted three times back to back while charging even though no apps were running and I wasn't touching it.

This poo poo started happening right about a week ago when the Snapchat update hit, so I blamed the crashing on that lovely app at first. But now it's happening whether there's any apps running at all.

Phone is only a few months old. It was a replacement for my first Pixel 1 where the speaker went out, so this replacement phone could be a refurb too.

My pixel just got the 8.1.2 update yesterday, which is just the Feb 5th Security update for 8.1, but I haven't had any reboot issues. Maybe resetting the phone would fix the issue or reflashing the update?

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 16, 2018

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

thebushcommander posted:

My pixel just got the 8.1.2 update yesterday, which is just the Feb 5th Security update for 8.1, but I haven't had any reboot issues. Maybe resetting the phone would fix the issue or reflashing the update?

WTF, I just checked and my pixel is running 7.1.2 with a July 7 2017 security update. I got this phone in September. I thought that the OS was automatically updating itself, or at least updating the security.

I'll update to Oreo 8.1.2 later today and see if that burns the whole thing down.

Out of date or not, I still don't understand why the phone was rock solid until last week.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ugh I guess T-Mobile pulled their Oreo update for the Z2 Force. My warranty replacement can't update past 7.1.1 unless I did some hinkey poo poo.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Facetious posted:

Make sure to check bhphotovideo.com before making a choice. Even after currency and duties, they can be cheaper than anywhere in Canada for an unlocked phone (that isn't a Pixel).

My G6 was 175 and 265 CAD cheaper than the best two Canadian options.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Online shopping makes me wish the USA had just annexed us a couple hundred years ago.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Sab669 posted:

I think my only last "issue" with Android -- and I'll fully admit this is 100% user error -- but it often takes me 2-3 attempts to swipe up from the lock screen to enter my code. Is there a way to change it so that you don't need to swipe as high up in order to enter my combo? :saddowns:

I've had this issue too (Pixel XL 1), and it might be my imagination but it feels worse lately. It really wants me to swipe all the way up to the top of the phone.

The easiest solution though is just to use fingerprint to unlock. It'll fully unlock from a completely off screen, and it's very fast and reliable on the Pixel. I'm assuming it's only as good or better on the P2.

Doesn't help much when it's sitting on a stand on my desk, but most other times I just use the fingerprint reader.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

About two years ago, the week after I bought the 5x, the next phone up went on sale for the same amount of money and I slapped my forehead. Today my 5x fell directly onto one single pebble and crunched the camera and five hundred for a pixel is whoa momma out of my price range but what was that other phone I was thinking of?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Ugh I guess T-Mobile pulled their Oreo update for the Z2 Force. My warranty replacement can't update past 7.1.1 unless I did some hinkey poo poo.

That seems weird, maybe they don't have that device's ID in their system correctly?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Krinkle posted:

About two years ago, the week after I bought the 5x, the next phone up went on sale for the same amount of money and I slapped my forehead. Today my 5x fell directly onto one single pebble and crunched the camera and five hundred for a pixel is whoa momma out of my price range but what was that other phone I was thinking of?

There was no nexus phone after the 5X. The pixel was introduced after that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Krinkle posted:

You might be thinking of the 6p, but those have had a substandard reliability rating too, and are more than 2 years old anyway.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Taffer posted:

There was no nexus phone after the 5X. The pixel was introduced after that.
I'm sorry I didn't mean to say it was another nexus but I was pretty sure it wasn't a pixel.

Twerk from Home posted:

You might be thinking of the 6p, but those have had a substandard reliability rating too, and are more than 2 years old anyway.
Yeah oh well. Maybe another 5x from amazon then.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I'm sorry I didn't mean to say it was another nexus but I was pretty sure it wasn't a pixel.

Yeah oh well. Maybe another 5x from amazon then.

Be careful, man. Don't be an idiot like me. I was sad when my 5x died after less than a year, and months of support hell with LG only got them to give me a G5. I bought another 5x, and it also died 4 months later. Terrible value for money. Just don't buy another 5x.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Krinkle posted:

Your 5x lasted two years without bootlooping? I don't believe you.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I don't know what bootlooping is but it works right now it's just got a shattered lens.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I don't know what bootlooping is but it works right now it's just got a shattered lens.

Nexus 5xes almost all died at about 1 year old, suffering a complete hardware failure. My family lost 4 of them this way. Any existing 5xes should be considered time bombs, and I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

thebushcommander posted:

What? This is an original Pixel? Mine is on the February 5th security patch, but the OS version is 8.1.0.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sab669 posted:

Version 2.8.04, according to the Version Info in the "apps" menu under the System Settings app. But whatever, because Textra is smooth as gently caress and way more customizable.

Yeah, there's a 2.9 that's around that fixed the freezing. It's still a tiny bit slow so I'm sticking to Pulse for now but it works.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rastor posted:

That seems weird, maybe they don't have that device's ID in their system correctly?

Not sure. I think there were some forum comments stating that Motorola/T-MOBILE pulled the update due to VOLTE being messed up

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Something strange and terrifying has happened to my Moto G5+. I got a notification today about something called a "System Update".

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

docbeard posted:

Something strange and terrifying has happened to my Moto G5+. I got a notification today about something called a "System Update".

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

I got one last week with November security updates and another this week to fix those security vulnerabilities announced last month. I remain unimpressed.

I'm not even gonna ask where the Oreo update is oh sh

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I honestly don't think the G5 will ever get Oreo.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Mu Zeta posted:

I honestly don't think the G5 will ever get Oreo.

Which with the G6 apparently being announced in under 2 weeks I don't get why people are still recommending the G5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

Which with the G6 apparently being announced in under 2 weeks I don't get why people are still recommending the G5.

It's $200 and if you need a phone now, you need one now. If you always wait for the next one, you're always waiting. There's also no guarantee there will be an Amazon-subsidized G6.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sad Panda posted:

Yeah considering my G5 Plus was just $200 I can't complain too much

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Hope the 20% off coupons keep going out. Wife wants a pixel 2 to replace her ip7

edit: anyone have a code they wont be using?

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 17, 2018

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
So my Pixel has the broken mic issue, and the Google supervisor says there's nothing they can do because I'm 2 months out of warranty. They wont even acknowledge that there's a known defect with the Pixel mic.

But apparently there's a class action lawsuit that was just filed

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/08/lawsuit-claims-google-knowingly-sold-pixels-with-microphone-is/

Though I'm wondering what would happen if I took google to small claims court on my own. Seems I could take some of the evidence from the lawsuit and rewrite it and get enough for a new phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

So what I'm getting from the last three posts is to buy neither a g5 nor a pixel