Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Get an email from nVidia to buy a 1080ti at MSRP. Immediately panic and wonder if I can cancel my Titan XP. Go to order the 1080ti, notice it's already sold out. Time elapsed: 35 minutes.

Goddamn bitcoiners.

You know those guys probably set up scripts to buy on alert, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh probably. I did however foolishly think that 35 minutes would be enough time to buy one, or that I would have some sort of personal referral number that would expire after a reasonable time.

Regardless, I can't cancel my Titan XP so whatever. I guess this PC is gonna be bleeding edge.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Build it like one of those PCGamer ads circa 1999 :homebrew:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Next month is a new desk and one, possibly two 27" g-sync monitors. My desk cost 90 dollars and I bought it in 2007.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
There better be lights and flames and poo poo all over your tower

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

not really no

edit: all my poo poo except my video card from nVidia has shipped. I hope it ships today so I can have it by Friday with the rest of my parts :ohdear:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

There better be lights and flames and poo poo all over your tower

I put stickers all over mine. IDGAF.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vasudus posted:

possibly two 27" g-sync monitors.

Ick, what is this small nonsense.

Youre buying a baller video card and youre going to waste money on tiny screens?

My current setup is two LG 34" 2560x1080 (uncurved) ultrawides that I got for $350 a pop. The curved ones look better but i'm nothing if not frugal with my wanton spending.

I'd say get one nice ultrawide over two regular monitors. All the gsync 34" curved go for around $800, and there are plenty of nice options cheaper than that.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Flames add at least 100 MHz to your CPU clock speed, the guy on the Geek Squad told me so

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Ick, what is this small nonsense.

Youre buying a baller video card and youre going to waste money on tiny screens?

My current setup is two LG 34" 2560x1080 (uncurved) ultrawides that I got for $350 a pop. The curved ones look better but i'm nothing if not frugal with my wanton spending.

I'd say get one nice ultrawide over two regular monitors. All the gsync 34" curved go for around $800, and there are plenty of nice options cheaper than that.

I suppose I could. My main requirements are gsync, 144hz, and at least 1440p. I'm not super keen on doing a 21:9 because I worry that some games won't support it, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that it would be an issue with.

I don't think I like curved screens, but I have nothing to test it with to confirm that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Dual monitors is great, I don't think I can go back to single now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The Rat posted:

Dual monitors is great, I don't think I can go back to single now.

let me tell you about my 34" widescreen monitor

I think it does dual input, most ridiculous widescreens do I'm sure

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm definitely going to have two monitors, eventually.

I think next month I will buy a Predator X34. Well, in like two weeks anyway.

I'll just keep my current monitor as a secondary.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I suppose I could. My main requirements are gsync, 144hz, and at least 1440p. I'm not super keen on doing a 21:9 because I worry that some games won't support it, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that it would be an issue with.

I don't think I like curved screens, but I have nothing to test it with to confirm that.

Curved monitors are basically a requirement when you get to 30+ inch screens. I couldn't imagine using a 34 inch 1440p monitor that wasnt curved like 3 feet from my face.

I didn't buy a g-sync monitor, I bought a 75hz IPS LG monitor, because I only have 1 GPU and wasn't going to be able to push my screen at speeds that would make the extra 300 buck premium on a 550 dollar monitor worth it. The improved color accuracy from buying a not piece of poo poo monitor has made a massive difference in every game I play, much more than increased resolution or refresh rate.

I know that G-sync keeps frames from tearing due to drops as well as spikes, but eh, I'll look at one once I get a computer worth putting a G-sync monitor on.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 15, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah upon further inspection it appears that curved screen monitors are nothing like curved screen televisions, which I hate.

The Acer X34P is a 120hz monitor for like a grand, and is apparently the single best gaming monitor that exists. gently caress it, I'm already all in so whatever, it's next on the list. I'm probably not going to replace this dumb computer until like 2025 (with the video card lasting until like 2021).

My current Dell 2405FPW was purchased in early 2006.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Yeah upon further inspection it appears that curved screen monitors are nothing like curved screen televisions, which I hate.

The Acer X34P is a 120hz monitor for like a grand, and is apparently the single best gaming monitor that exists. gently caress it, I'm already all in so whatever, it's next on the list. I'm probably not going to replace this dumb computer until like 2025 (with the video card lasting until like 2021).

My current Dell 2405FPW was purchased in early 2006.

You'd be surprised how much further than you think your PC will get you. This current PC was built in 2012 with only a graphics upgrade from dual 770s to a 980 Ti (a sidegrade at best, also on sale) due to stability issues with the bastard and a half that is SLI. gently caress SLI forever and a day. Still runs everything absolutely perfectly, and the single GPU is only getting long in the tooth in that it can't do 4k 60fps at ultra quality, it's still perfectly playable, and I can get a lot more mileage if I don't insist on every quality slider being custom cranked to the max setting.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My video card is still processing for shipment despite being ordered at 5am yesterday. It will probably not arrive until Monday then, with all my other parts arriving tomorrow.

Motherfucker.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You bought a good monitor, my co-worker bought one and all he does is rave about how good it is. I wanted one but its price keeps boomeranging between 800 and 1100 dollars and i don't have money for either of those prices right now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh poo poo puyo puyo tetris is coming on steam

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh poo poo puyo puyo tetris is coming on steam

I have it on Switch. It's hard as gently caress if you are color blind.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i had it on my ps4 before i got rid of the system

theres colorblind options to help, it's the best tetris we're going to get until Arika makes TGM4 (if ever)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I think I am burning out a little bit on DBFZ. I am going to try to take a day or two to rest. I am at that point where I am good enough to beat the the story mode but not good enough to beat Arcade hard mode. So I do casual matches and a lot of training. I managed to win a few casual matches but get my rear end destroyed more often than not. I am sitting on like 25 hours playtime right now but most of that has been in the last week. It's a fantastic game but I need to pick a team and start to get good or I feel like I am not going to progress any further.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I think I am burning out a little bit on DBFZ. I am going to try to take a day or two to rest. I am at that point where I am good enough to beat the the story mode but not good enough to beat Arcade hard mode. So I do casual matches and a lot of training. I managed to win a few casual matches but get my rear end destroyed more often than not. I am sitting on like 25 hours playtime right now but most of that has been in the last week. It's a fantastic game but I need to pick a team and start to get good or I feel like I am not going to progress any further.

Team comp and character tiers aren't a thing yet tbh, game is way too early. Play who you want.

we should play sometime

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I have it on Switch. It's hard as gently caress if you are color blind.

here you go

the alphabet tiles can be gotten for 100 credits in the game

no need for color

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No colorblind mode?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

japan believes colorblindness is a personal failure and as such you don't deserve to play a good tetris game

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Hell, same. What's next making games for terri schiavos???

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

*except kojima

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't ever order poo poo from nVidia directly if you want your poo poo at a reasonable time.

I placed my order at 6am EST on the 14th. It took them until 3pm today to put a box on a truck, which is quite unreasonable out the gate considering that Newegg was able to ship the entire rest of my computer from three different locations in the US in about an hour and a half after ordering. I paid for expedited shipping expecting it to be here tomorrow. They tagged it as Weekday Only delivery, despite the fact that FedEx will deliver it on a Saturday normally. So it's going to be here on Monday, and I have to sign for it. They also won't let me just pick it up at a FedEx location.

So I call them, since getting the package flagged as being able to be picked up is a quick and easy task under normal circumstances. I do the stupid standard script thing with him and ask him to authorize the package to be picked up from a FedEx facility. He puts me on hold for 10 minutes before telling me he can't. I ask for the supervisor. 10 more minutes on hold. I tell supervisor my problem, he tells me they're just the vendor that handles the ordering. I tell him who do I have to talk to in order to get this fixed. He tells me nVidia logistics. I ask for a number, he doesn't have one.

I call nVidia, they don't handle anything related to the store. I tell them what I was told by the store and that I need to speak to someone in logistics. They refuse to transfer me.

Fuckers.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

yeah i know that feeling man but it's the most first world problem i've heard today

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20KgmOQLdxM

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

if i can't throw money at a problem to fix it then what's the point

edit: I'm also not planning on being home on Monday, which is why I wanted it Friday or pick it up at a FedEx center.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 15, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:wtc:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

thats what i get for not watching the video i linked

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

thought that might have happened lmbo

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

that was unintentionally funnier

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus got me looking at curved monitors. I've always been a fan of LG. I think it's time to replace the circa 2009 42" 1080p TV I'm using as a monitor. It's starting to bleed colors on the edges. Any curved recommendations? Personal experiences?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electroni...words=LG+34UC97

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I’ve got the non-curved, non-ips version of that. And I’m happy with it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I hear Stellaris is good, and since I've been waiting for a while to play it after grabbing it in a humble bundle a little while back, I figured I'd share that it's on sale along with a bunch of DLC I guess.

Also, I think a bunch of folks in here said that Heat Signature was a fun game, and it's also off 33% on Steam, so I'm grabbing it.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/964219718910562309

I think I almost broke my mouse button by mashing it so hard. I figured my favorite SNES game of all time finally was ported to Steam, so I wouldn't have to play it on DOSBox anymore, but apparently they remade & remastered the entire loving thing in 3D. On the one hand, replaying my favorite SNES game of all time with better graphics sounds dope as gently caress, but on the other hand, I have some bad experiences with remastered/redone games, and the thing costs 40 bucks, so I'm not entirely sure I want to risk sullying the memory.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I like Stellaris but am waiting for the 2.0 patch before digging back in.